Motoring Discussion > Car insurance. He doesn't live here Tax / Insurance / Warranties
Thread Author: legacylad Replies: 6

Car insurance. He doesn't live here - legacylad
Recently chatting with someone who told me of the baillifs calling round to collect unpaid motoring fines.
Because where we live is a lower insurance postcode, certain unscrupulous people are using these addresses for insurance purposes. And actually selling the addresses!
Lots of insurance now online, including documents, but I am surprised that you can insure your car and give a false address to reduce the premium. This was confirmed by local postie who told me that once you insure your car the insurance company often send literature by post trying to sell you other forms of insurance, and several people on his round have received such letters...local policeman confirmed this is actually happening, normally people from East Lancs mill towns.
I'm still surprised there is no database where once the insurance companies have your reg number they cannot cross reference with the registered vehicle address. Or maybe these people use that address also? That's a new scam I haven't heard of before.
 Car insurance. He doesn't live here - movilogo
With many insurers now offering documents online, it is much easier to do now as you won't receive any document by post :(

DVLA keeps registered keepers' addresses. One can insure a car without being registered keeper so insurers won't be able to cross check address.

Looks like someone is doing this just in order for the car being flagged as uninsured in ANPR database (by paying a minimal premium using low risk post code).

Car insurance. He doesn't live here - Bromptonaut
>> DVLA keeps registered keepers' addresses. One can insure a car without being registered keeper so
>> insurers won't be able to cross check address.

They can though check against the 'open' electoral register and/or with credit referencing agencies. If you answer questions for insurance and give a negative response to 'will you be owner and registered keeper' you will be subject to further inquiries.
 Car insurance. He doesn't live here - Alastairw
Most of the mini cabs round here are registered in East Lancs mill towns (Rossendale BC seem particularly relaxed about what can be a hackney carriage). I imagine most are insured in Legacylad land.
 Car insurance. He doesn't live here - sooty123
I think there is an issue with minicabs being registered in one councils area then used in another. There's different rules set by each council plus different mandatory training especially in things like child grooming.
 Car insurance. He doesn't live here - Robin O'Reliant
>> I think there is an issue with minicabs being registered in one councils area then
>> used in another. There's different rules set by each council plus different mandatory training especially in things like child grooming.
>>

Tis a sad old world when councils are training cab drivers to groom children.
 Car insurance. He doesn't live here - sooty123
I'm sure i had added spotting and reporting on there somewhere. Never be a spellchecker i.
Latest Forum Posts