Motoring Discussion > Glass palace price vs WBAC valuation Buying / Selling
Thread Author: legacylad Replies: 14

Glass palace price vs WBAC valuation - legacylad
I fully understand why cars are top dollar at main dealers, but even this surprised me...forecourt sticker price £23,990. WBAC valuation £16,660.
My offer went unanswered....
 Glass palace price vs WBAC valuation - Bromptonaut
How does that mark up (44%) compare with 'spread' for other modes of sale?

Got £600 for my Berlingo. It was on a dealer's forecourt three weeks later for a tad north of £1k.

What's the make/model here LL?
3 series Touring
 Glass palace price vs WBAC valuation - bathtub tom
When I was looking for my current car, local main dealer had one with a windscreen price of £13K. They had that car on e-bay for £11K.

I bought the same model, age, mileage from Motorpoint for £9K.
 Glass palace price vs WBAC valuation - Robin O'Reliant
>> When I was looking for my current car, local main dealer had one with a
>> windscreen price of £13K. They had that car on e-bay for £11K.
>>
>> I bought the same model, age, mileage from Motorpoint for £9K.
>>
Yeah, but I bet the coffee was nicer at the main dealers.

You have to pay for quality.
 Glass palace price vs WBAC valuation - WillDeBeest
Depends what you're buying, I suppose. You'd need to be braver than me to spend £15,000+ on a complex modern car through eBay, when you've no idea what the previous owner may have done or hidden.

I've paid 'glass palace' prices for two complex 3-year-old cars and will happily do so again. The BMW Approved Used experience, in particular, has been extremely rewarding, with those minor glitches I have encountered dealt with promptly, courteously and free - despite requiring several expensive hours of workshop time. Without the dealer backup I'd probably have sighed and resigned myself to living with them.

And yes, they do offer nice coffee. Biscuits too.
I agree somewhat with WdB... I would never spend that sort of money on a private sale or EBay unless I personally knew the owner and full history. Many years ago I spent a lot of money on one of the last of the proper Quattros, but I knew the owner as a friend and its first owner was an Audi UK management car, so I had no qualms.
My current car, faultless for the past 7 years, I bought privately when it was about 4 yo, but I liked the owner, and the vibes I got from her and her family made me think it had been well looked after.
The 330 saga continues...I've just about given up on finding a 328 Touring so am going out in a Vrs estate soon. The C200 estate at the glass palace was very nice, but not worth the money, and slow, so time to broaden my horizons.
And I don't drink coffee, or eat biscuits.
I get sufficient liquid and calories from beer
 Glass palace price vs WBAC valuation - Mapmaker
Brompton>>Got £600 for my Berlingo. It was on a dealer's forecourt three weeks later for a tad north of £1k.

That barely seems worth his while!
 Glass palace price vs WBAC valuation - Tigger
I don't think WBAC increases its offer for extras which might be fitted.

If the car is fairly new, they may still have an impact on the sale price.
 Glass palace price vs WBAC valuation - Mapmaker
If you think that the dealer might accept 10% off, that makes the forecourt price 22k.

WBAC does not own the glass palaces, so will need to sell it to one, and say it needs to make 10% on the deal, that means the glass palace will pay WBAC £18,400. That is only leaving £3,500 to pay for all that glass and stainless steel.
 Glass palace price vs WBAC valuation - Zero
You can't use WBAC as any form of valuation, it's a buyer of last resort for people who need cash quickly.
 Glass palace price vs WBAC valuation - Bill Payer
>> You can't use WBAC as any form of valuation, it's a buyer of last resort
>> for people who need cash quickly.
>>

It was because of the very high prices that WBAC quoted on a few different 3yr old VW Tiguan's whose registration numbers I could find, that I decided to buy, rather than lease, a new one.

About a week later the VW emissions news came out - the values didn't look so clever then. Doh!

When we p/x'd my daughter's Mitsubishi Colt the dealer used WBAC to value it at £1100 which I thought was low - price range on Autotrader was huge; same cars going from £1600 to £3000, and her's looked very good and had optional a/c. However it was carrying a number of hidden issues that would certainly have put me off wanting to sell to anyone I knew.
 Glass palace price vs WBAC valuation - TheManWithNoName
When I offloaded my old Pug 406 to a local 'Arfur Daley', he told me he used to work for WBAC. As someone as already posted, they offer low values for people in need of quick cash. They put all their cars through the auctions without doing anything to the vehicles.
 Glass palace price vs WBAC valuation - Falkirk Bairn
WBAC are owned by BCA (British Car Auctions)

They bought BCA because lots of main dealers stopped selling through auctions their older T/Is.

Near where I live Main Dealers can have 5/6+ year old cars for sale - a few years back anything older than 3/4 was auctioned unless it was "special" in some way or other
 Glass palace price vs WBAC valuation - smokie
Small point of order (yes, I'v ebeen watching the Budget :-) ) I think BCA bought WBAC, not the other way around...?
Latest Forum Posts