Motoring Discussion > Volkswagen Golf IV - DPF Filters Buying / Selling
Thread Author: maltrap Replies: 8

Volkswagen Golf IV - DPF Filters - maltrap
I'm thinking of replacing my sons 1.6 petrol automatic Golf with Golf diesel auto. I'm aware of the DSG issues (my Polo has DSG) But, not having bought a diesel before i'm concerned about DPF issues. Do all VW diesels have DPF filters ? My son drives 7K a year almost all of it short journeys. Do all maufacturers use DPF filters.
 Volkswagen Golf IV - DPF Filters - WillDeBeest
This should be fun.
}:---)
 Volkswagen Golf IV - DPF Filters - WillDeBeest
OK, not as much fun as I thought. We've done this to death here, as a forum search will reveal. If you prefer the AA's advice to that of two dozen retired geezers, few of whom have even driven a DPF-equipped car, it should be the second hit if you google "dpf mileage".

Curiously, I think the geezers and the AA will advise the same thing in your case.
 Volkswagen Golf IV - DPF Filters - VxFan
>> My son drives 7K a year almost all of it short journeys.

Regardless whether it's got a DPF or not, with that sort of mileage you should be considering another petrol engine. Coupled with short journeys, a diesel engine wouldn't probably even get warm, doing it no good whatsoever. Not to mention the passengers who'll shiver in winter because the heater won't be hot.
 Volkswagen Golf IV - DPF Filters - Bill Payer
>> Not to mention the passengers who'll shiver in winter because the heater won't be hot.
>>
They have a chunky electric booster heater. My wife's Tiguan blows warm air almost instantly.

Title says Golf 4 - which version is being looked at? Certainly on the fairly new EA288 2 litre diesel they don't passive regen as the DPF never gets anywhere near hot enough. They're programmed to do a mileage based regen at 465 miles if the soot loading hasn't triggered one before.

What's a bit of a pain is there's no indication this is happening until you stop the car and get out - this of course stops the regen. It'll restart next suitable journey but needs 10 mins or so to complete it. Of course not an issue for most people but could be a problem if you continually did very short and quick journeys.
 Volkswagen Golf IV - DPF Filters - Alanovich
Good point about the thread title. A diesel engine Golf MkIV will have TC auto not DSG, and will not have a DPF. It will be a 1.9TDI PD most likely, like mine was (a 2002 1.9TDI PD auto SE).

Did maltrap mean to put Golf IV I wonder?
 Volkswagen Golf IV - DPF Filters - maltrap
His current car is a 2003 reg Golf mk4 1.6 petrol automatic. He wants to have another auto which is less fuel efficient.
Because of his lowish annual mileage & 4mile trip to & from work i think he would be better off staying with petrol.
 Volkswagen Golf IV - DPF Filters - Alanovich
So if he sticks at MkIV then any auto will be a TC not a DSG, and will not have a DPF.

If he can change cars without spending any extra money, then yes he'll get better MPGs with a diesel without any significant extra maintenance costs (so far as I can think of) and so be better off. EDIT: Ceteris Paribus.

Our MkIV diesel auto (100bhp variety) could easily crack 50mpg on the motorway and did about 35mpg around town. I expect the petrol 1.6 auto does about 40 on the motorway and 25 around town.

If he wants a newer generation car, a MkV (2005 and later), then they will all be DSGs and he's got to start budgeting for DSG oil changes and consider DPF stuff too, although there maybe some early 1.9s without DPFs. I don't know for sure.
Last edited by: Alanović on Wed 16 Mar 16 at 15:04
 Volkswagen Golf IV - DPF Filters - Avant
I assume that the thread title refers to the one he's got now, the 2003 Golf IV. How new a replacement are you looking for - presumably not another mark IV which would be pre-2005?

For the mileage and type of driving a Toyota hybrid would be ideal.
Latest Forum Posts