Motoring Discussion > Land Rover Discovery - Surprising how much a Disco TDI needing MOT gets Buying / Selling
Thread Author: Hugo Replies: 4

Land Rover Discovery - Surprising how much a Disco TDI needing MOT gets - Hugo
Recently sold my 200 TDi Discovery without the wheels to someone who actually needed the engine, gear box and transfer box to go into another Landie. He was getting exactly what he wanted for the top price he was prepared to pay.

Would have cost over £300 to get through the MOT, even at mates rates. Chassis was fine but the floor area near all the important bits was as rotten as a pair, as were the bottoms of all the doors.

6 weeks MOT and tax sold for £475 and I kept the wheels. Chap came down from Warrington to Cornwall to buy it. The deal was done via a Landie forum.

2 years ago I took my alloys off it and put on a set of SH BFG tyres on Discovery steels. I paid £200 for them - they all had loads of tread. 4 had over 10mm left whereas the 5th had about 6 to 7mm, so I wanted to keep them, or at least the buyer wasn't prepared to give me the price I would have wanted to leave them on, so they came off the vehicle and stayed with me.

On Sunday I sold the very same wheels that I had used for 2 years, for £175.

That amounted to £650.

Oh, and I sold the alloys it originally had when I bought it the other day for £80.

Even if I had sold the alloys separately and sold the vehicle as a going concern, I don't think I could have made back the MOT cost on top of the £650. I would have had to sell it for £1k. It clearly wouldn't have been worth that.
 Land Rover Discovery - Surprising how much a Disco TDI needing MOT gets - oldnotbold
I bought a Mk2 Golf for £150 with 3 days MoT/tax as it had a Weber carb which I wanted for my Mk1.

Tyres x 5 were great, so I sold the wheels for £60, took off the carb (£100 or more), weighed it in for £40, front screen went for £20, and gave away some other bits. Total return was nearer £250, and I could have made more with some time/effort.
 Land Rover Discovery - Surprising how much a Disco TDI needing MOT gets - R.P.
Buy us a pint then Hugo !
 Land Rover Discovery - Surprising how much a Disco TDI needing MOT gets - Hugo
It's in the post Rob ;)

Some time ago I broke a Fiat Regata for spares for my own. The car cost £25 and I had to fork out £50 to get it home. I then parked it in the garage until I had time to work on it. Stripped it down for parts over a few days in the driveway. Then got a local scrap collector to remove the shell plus anything else car related I chose to chuck in there for £0.

I used about £300 worth of spares on mine including little things like tyres to gear change linkage spares (I had this plate that wore out on mine and the one on this car was fine).

After I got rid of my own Regata I then started flogging the rest of the spares. I got around another £300 for those!
 Land Rover Discovery - Surprising how much a Disco TDI needing MOT gets - BobbyG
Used to have a friend who did this, though his neighbours weren't best pleased!
I seem to remember his most profitable car was a Peugeot 605 that he bought for £200, ran for 11 months then stripped it and realised over £500 on its parts!
Latest Forum Posts