Motoring Discussion > DAB reception in cars Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Rudedog Replies: 44

DAB reception in cars - Rudedog
I have a loan car (White UP!) while my Golf is in for some minor work, I like the car and it makes a change to the usual Polo.

I thought I'd take advantage of the DAB radio for the next couple of days to listen to a couple of stations that aren't on FM.

I tried tuning into Radio 4 Extra but it kept failing indicating that it was unavailable, the thing is that I can pick up the same station not more than 10 meters away on my portable DAB in the house.

Granted this was the first time I've used an in-car DAB so might have missed something.

Any ideas?

Raises a question in my mind for DAB in my area if (when) I buy my next car.
 DAB reception in cars - Zero

>> Any ideas?

I always considered DAB reception in cars was a problem and where I have tried it in the past that indeed was the case and reinforced my perception that its a waste of time.
The DAB radio in the Cactus however was rock solid, over a very variable route and completely not supportive of that perception

However Here at home I can put two DAB radios side by side in the same location, one will warble and drop out, the other wont. Conclusion? The quality and design of the receiver is pretty important. I guess that applies to cars as well.
 DAB reception in cars - Bromptonaut
>> Conclusion? The quality and
>> design of the receiver is pretty important.

Indeedy. Same as analogue really.
 DAB reception in cars - Bromptonaut
>> Conclusion? The quality and
>> design of the receiver is pretty important.

And in another context:

Mrs B and I are sat opposite each other in the caravan's 'dinette' and both using Caravan Club Wi-Fi.

My laptop has five bars of signal and performs almost as well as on the CAT5 cable at home. She's complaining that her tablet is struggling to hold on to Wi-Fi at all.
 DAB reception in cars - PeterS
No DAB in our Up! The DAB in the A3 is rock solid though; if anything the reception is better than FM on the south coast in it.

Mind you , the A3 has its own SIM card as well, and uses the aerial on the roof for it. Signal strength, as shown on the cars screen, for the in-car SIM is always higher in the car than for the iPhone bluetoothed to the car. Both are on O2. Fortunately the car creates a WiFi hotspot inside the car using it's own SIM, so my phone is connectec to th car WiFi just in case!

So I'd imagine that not only the quality of the unit itself but also of the aerial and its installation has a huge influence.
 DAB reception in cars - Runfer D'Hills
I use DAB pretty much all the time in my car. Not too many problems at all thank goodness. It has dropped out in very rural parts of Scotland and Ireland but so does FM in truth.

What do you think of the Up! Rudedog?
>>
>> What do you think of the Up! Rudedog?
>>

I've already posted my thoughts on the Up! - I like it :)
But the following shows how small it is next to a LEC :)

i1296.photobucket.com/albums/ag18/C4P_PeterS/Mercedes/IMG_0035_zpsdd3ac81d.jpg

DAB reception in cars - WillDeBeest
Very impressed by BMW's DAB and FM installation in the chariot. The hills round here create a couple of dead spots for DAB but it makes them much smaller than the aftermarket Alpine DAB interface in the LEC (which itself seems to have an adverse effect on FM) can manage.

As the others say, quality of aerial and power supply will be important. The Ruark portable radio in the kitchen is similarly impressive; would be better still with a feed from the aerial on the roof, which is on my 'one day' list.
I thought all new cars had to have DAB fitted?

I was more surprised that it had AC, I thought AC wasn't available, one of the reasons my wife went for the Polo as it was on her 'must' have options, otherwise I think she would have liked the Up!.

The issue for me would be that you don't know if DAB works in your new car until you've bought it and then it's too late.
When we bought ours I think AC was only standard on the High Up! and above. It was a £500 or so option on the others I think. But that was not long after launch.
I like it, I'm a VW guy so the layout is familiar. The boot could be an issue for a weekly shop but I guess I could use the back seat.

Like the 3 cylinder engine, I guess it's the same as our new Polo, I'm used to my PD diesel so it will be interesting to see how much fuel I'll use before I return it compared to my Golf.
There's another level underneath the boot floor, and you can take the floor out altogether to give you extra depth. But even so the boots not huge!
Ok thanks, probably not going to get to use it for a long time before I have to return it.
 DAB reception in cars - R.P.
My T5 had DAB (first car I've owned that had it) as does my BMW. The reception in the BMW is miles better far more stable, far fewer drop outs. It does drop out in the same places on a particular journey - ironically on the coast. In the hills it's just fine. Anyone who has ever heard of Blaenau Ffestioniog will know what I mean when I say this, DAB works well in Blaenau. My car is always on DAB - my wife's MINI seems to be on FM when I use it - DAB in that works well as far as I can assess..We have a Pure DAB in the kitchen here and that is nearly perfect. I love it. I have a ten year old Hitachi in the garage....that is far more fussy.
 DAB reception in cars - Boxsterboy
I think the boot is huge. Considering it's got a full sized spare! OK, so the wheels are not massive, but if a tiny UP! Can have a full sized spare, why can't bigger cars.

Our work UP! Goes back in October. It's the lower powered engine, but still perfectly acceptable around town, and is so willing - a bit of a terrier. Not sure what to replace it with? Might go for a C1/107/Aygo, just for a change.
 DAB reception in cars - tyrednemotional
...I've retro-fitted DAB radios to a couple of my motorhomes motorcaravans campervans.

Whilst the quality of the receiver is certainly a prime consideration, so is the aerial (a different configuration being required for DAB, though factory-fit DAB units normally come with a compromise single FM/DAB aerial setup).

The DAB aerial is almost always amplified, as is, I understand, even the FM aerial on most VW group cars. These (VW) aerials didn't seem to have a good "press" when I was doing research.

The two 'vans I added DAB to were both dedicated head units (not the add-on type) and I've been lucky in both cases in that the factory-fit aerial has already been DAB/FM compliant (though in each case I had to fit an amplified "splitter" to feed the signal to both aerial inputs).

Reception is pretty near perfect, helped, I suspect, by having the aerial pretty high in both cases.

I also had a Mondeo with factory-fit DAB, and that was also nigh-on perfect.

I think I generally prefer the sound of FM (we could restart the vinyl vs digital debate), but the selection of stations on DAB attract (e.g. Dad Radio aka Planet Rock), and of course, the quality of those stations otherwise only available on AM is incomparable.
 DAB reception in cars - Runfer D'Hills
What's the point of a decent radio when all you can really hear is plates rattling or effluent sloshing around in its tank?

;-)
....well if you can't use logic to answer that.........
In that case it doesn't need to be decent, just loud.
....except when not travelling........
...when you'll need volume to take your mind off the smell.
....well, a little DAB behind the ears, and no problem at all.....

>> The DAB aerial is almost always amplified, as is, I understand, even the FM aerial
>> on most VW group cars. These (VW) aerials didn't seem to have a good "press"
>> when I was doing research.

Have to agree, my experience us that, generally VW radio reception is not up to most other installations.
I guess I've been lucky as my FM reception has always been good, saying that when I did the one and only mod on my Golf, which was to change my aerial, I replaced it with a stubby one from a new Polo so kept OEM.
Exactly, T&E. DAB is generally rubbish as a delivery medium for music but partially redeemed by its extra capacity - although, of course, that's what makes the sound quality rubbish in the first place. Is Planet Rock still 48k?

I can't argue with 5 Live Sports Extra for cricket, though. Even a lifetime R4 listener like me wants to burn down Broadcasting House when 4LW wanders off to the shipping forecast at a critical moment.
Shipping Forecast....part of the soundtrack of my life..
 DAB reception in cars - mikeyb
DAB works fine in the Lexus, not sure I ever remember it dropping out
 DAB reception in cars - Crankcase
DAB in the (2011) Volvo is fine, never drops out, although it's only ever tuned to one station.

When I'd ordered the new Zoe I noticed afterwards it says on the Renault website it has DAB, the manual says it has DAB and how to work it, the brochure says it has DAB, and of course, when it turns up, it doesn't have DAB. You find out that Renault have dropped it (because it was pants) only by scouring forums.

Astonishingly, Mrs C, who can't tell the difference between stereo, mono and a bee in a jar has complained about the addition of background bacon frying to her radio on the morning commute.

I poked about online - there's this kind of thing. Needs no taking apart of existing dash or anything.

Gets reasonable reviews, but it's over my "I'll just buy it and see" mental budget, and it won't be any good - will it? Anybody tried this kind of a game?

www.amazon.co.uk/PAMA-PNG1220-Pama-Plug-Radio/dp/B00F0HYFVI

Last edited by: Crankcase on Mon 11 Apr 16 at 09:11
>
>> I poked about online - there's this kind of thing. Needs no taking apart of
>> existing dash or anything.
>>
>> Gets reasonable reviews, but it's over my "I'll just buy it and see" mental budget,
>> and it won't be any good - will it?

No it wont. you are wise to avoid.
This is the one I have. You can even read my review of it.
www.amazon.co.uk/Alpine-Any-EZI-DAB-Green/dp/B0080D8YRU/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_product_top?ie=UTF8

But it requires professional installation unless you're much braver than me, and that bumped the bill up to about £300 in 2012.
Ah, now then, WDB - it's Radio 3 we listen to so you can imagine the dilemma - bacon or compression, bacon or compression...

Interesting review, ta. Miles over my scroogenmarley budget though.

Actually, today we put a USB stick in, so although it was still compression it was less so, and of course it matters not so much when you're singing along to Wally Whyton.
To be honest, DAB wasn't really a consideration when I chose it; I was looking for an iPod input and the MB Audio 20 the car came with has no Aux In, so it had to be something that could do FM modulation.

Radio 3 over DAB is better than tolerable - at least for the car; 320k is equivalent to the online stream, which is perfectly listenable even over the Sonos at home. (Enough to persuade me that the Quatuor Ebène's new recording of the Schubert Quintet was worth Deezering; I did - three times in two days. It's astonishing!)

I'd honestly have no problem with DAB R3 in either car - although I naturally try FM first. I maligned Planet Rock; it was at 64k and now claims 80k, but sadly neither will be worth listening to if you're in anything quieter than a washing machine - with which, of course, your Zoe has some features in common.

>> washing machine - with which, of course, your Zoe has some features in common.

It has a spin cycle?
Probably not, but I do wonder what effect all those magnets and fields might have on radio reception. I imagine there's a pretty thorough set of anti-interference regulations to satisfy but even so... Maybe FM is never going to be ideal in an electric car.
I was thinking about all this again today - for some reason there was a regular pulse of hissy interference all the way in this morning. For a while I thought they were playing some obscure 1922 recording on a 78, as it was exactly like a scratch.

But no, I think there really was some regular interference right in the trombones. I guess I can either spend some money on some kit and put my stress levels through the roof trying to get it to work, or just bone up on my Napoleonic history so we can at least attempt a civilised conversation instead.

>> I was thinking about all this again today - for some reason there was a
>> regular pulse of hissy interference all the way in this morning. For a while I
>> thought they were playing some obscure 1922 recording on a 78, as it was exactly
>> like a scratch.
>>
>> But no, I think there really was some regular interference right in the trombones. I
>> guess I can either spend some money on some kit and put my stress levels
>> through the roof trying to get it to work, or just bone up on my
>> Napoleonic history so we can at least attempt a civilised conversation instead.
>>
Ok ignore that pama carp you pointed to, and go for this

www.amazon.co.uk/PURE-Highway-300Di-digital-adaptor/dp/B00B0WI0OA (ignore the poor comments clearly written by knob heads who had no idea what they were buying)
and this

www.amazon.co.uk/Aerial-Highway-UK-Digital-Audio/dp/B00GT66922
>> Ok ignore that pama carp you pointed to, and go for this

Over a hundred pounds. A HUNDRED POUNDS? For a radio?

I've just done the sums - that buys me 9600 miles of motoring in electricity costs (yes really, and that's excluding any I get for free, so would actually be a load more miles than that).

Seriously though, I will investigate that one - we have a Pure portable and it's not missed a beat in years. Thanks Zero.

>> I've just done the sums - that buys me 9600 miles of motoring in electricity
>> costs (yes really, and that's excluding any I get for free, so would actually be
>> a load more miles than that).

Warning Man maths: you have to buy something with the money you have saved.
The Pure unit is the same thing as the Alpine one I have. Does that make me a knobhead too?

Mine has crashed once recently. Generally pretty solid, if frustratingly slow sometimes.
There's a PURE Evoke for sale in work BNIB as they say. Seems a bargain for £50.00....tempted.
>> The Pure unit is the same thing as the Alpine one I have. Does that
>> make me a knobhead too?

You know I think you are a knobhead, even despite the fact you did not write an ill informed comment about the Pure

Last edited by: Zero on Wed 13 Apr 16 at 10:30
Aww, Z, it's sweet that you still care.
 DAB reception in cars - IJWS14
I have had 2 VW group cars (Passat and current Octy) with DAB and SWMBO has had a Ford and currently a Vauxhall.

Not noticed any issues with the DAB signal in any of them but not been in hers much.
Nice to see you back, IJWS. I think if you live in a strong signal area you can pull in something listenable with the proverbial piece of wet string. It's remote and hilly areas that sort the Volvos from the Vauxhalls.
Exactly.
Latest Forum Posts