Motoring Discussion > BMW X5 E53 SUV - Trade value please Buying / Selling
Thread Author: legacylad Replies: 35

BMW X5 E53 SUV - Trade value please - legacylad
On my pals X5, 3.0D 2006. One owner from new, full history, 230k miles. Very shabby inside, but might clean up! Spare set of decent winter tyres.
I'm thinking around £2500....
Much appreciated if anyone has access to a realistic valuation, because I'm just guessing.
 BMW X5 E53 SUV - Trade value please - Dog
Zero would know.

Just saying.

;-)
 BMW X5 E53 SUV - Trade value please - John Boy
HJ has some software now to help answer that kind of question:

www.honestjohn.co.uk/used-prices/
Thank you
Will use the HJ facility
 BMW X5 E53 SUV - Trade value please - VxFan
>> Zero would know.

Yeah, I heard he's good for a quote or two.
 BMW X5 E53 SUV - Trade value please - Bromptonaut
>> Yeah, I heard he's good for a quote or two.

While that's quite funny it's also an illustration of why you need to let the other Mods deal with RF when/if he emerges from his flounce.
 BMW X5 E53 SUV - Trade value please - VxFan
Care to explain further for someone who's too thick to get the point you're trying to make?
 BMW X5 E53 SUV - Trade value please - PeterS
For a 'worst case' valuation you could try putting the details into webuyanycars website,

The Parkers website will also give you a free valuation:

www.parkers.co.uk/cars/prices/used/bmw/x5/estate-2000/26632/?yearplate=81

But that seems high to me, even before you adjust for mileage for which they want a fee...
 BMW X5 E53 SUV - Trade value please - Alanovich
>> I'm thinking around £2500....

Yeah, I would accept that amount to take it off his hands. Cash for preference.

Set satnav for Beachy Head.
 BMW X5 E53 SUV - Trade value please - WillDeBeest
Since it probably has a towbar, you could attach a caravan. Two birds, like.

What would the first engine / gearbox / 4wd problem on a car like that cost to fix? I expect airport taxi firms have their reasons for not operating many X5s.
 BMW X5 E53 SUV - Trade value please - Runfer D'Hills
On the other hand, if you did buy it for £2500 or so and it lasted any longer than a newish 3 series touring takes to lose £2500 in depreciation then Robert is your favourite uncle eh?

;-)
Got a lift home in it today. Wiped my shoes on the way out.
My best pal since I was 5yo, and offered to pay him trade price so he has no p/ex.
Don't really need replacement wheels till end of May so no rush. And if I decide to go off on one of my last minute back packs won't need wheels till November/Dec.
What fabulous weather today..
Perfect for a stroll amongst lamb filled fields.
Last edited by: legacylad on Tue 19 Apr 16 at 20:30
Then tell us again, why do you want to spend a great big wad of cash on a whole lot of new car you're not going to use much when actually what you need is a practical cheap runabout to supplement the convertible on the days you need more versatility?

Or am I just so missing something?

;-)
I like Vić's phrase 'want shiny', which is understandable. But shiny to leave on the drive doesn't make much sense, and old and filthy makes even less.

Thought of a nice S60 T5? Should be able to get one of last of the line for a modest amount. Even the milder 2.4T has 200hp and 285Nm. Surprisingly practical, too - for a saloon.
The rear leg room is a worry in an S60, it's not great. And LL has the olds to worry about. My eldest started griping about the legroom in the back of the SAAB this morning, so I'm kind of grateful we didn't end up with the S60 last autumn.

How did a tall family like yours cope? I'm sure you've said before but the data in my organic super computer has probably been overwritten with football results or deleted by running "Vin de Pays d'Oc" too often.
The hardest time we had with the S60 was when the Beestlings' legs weren't quite long enough for their feet to tuck under the front seats. But that was with me in front; with a less exceptional driver an old or two would have done just fine. We had the Verso by then anyway, and when B. Minor was nine, we bought the LEC instead and all was well - till now.

We went out five-up at the weekend - 15yo German in addition to the regular four - and B. Major now complains he's short of space behind me. Not that we do many trips even four-up these days, but I'm starting to think about the LEC's successor. Won't go back to an MPV - the S Max is the only one I'd consider and it really wouldn't suit us for 300+ days a year - and 4x4s use space poorly (although I did all right in the back of a colleague's Touareg the other week.) So the on-paper favourite is a BMW 330d GT, which would leave us looking awkwardly his-n-hersy. So would we then swap the chariot for an Up? Dunno; there's at least one other long-running thread in the making here.
Skoda Superb is your legroom answer.

But I expect you don't want to hear that.
Actually, perfectly happy to hear that. You may remember we tried - and liked - the old Superb estate and bought a Mercedes instead because we couldn't afford a Skoda. (Although it might have been different had the Reading Skoda dealer made any effort to sell us one.)

This happens with me; back in 2002 we only got the S60 because a V70 was out of budget and the sensible, spacious alternative - a Passat estate - was just too dreary to consider.
Last edited by: WillDeBeest on Wed 20 Apr 16 at 11:20
I could be tempted in to a 1.8TSI (cam chain) Superb (or Passat come to that), given sufficient funds. They're getting quite cheap second hand now. Would have to be manual though, DSG dodging you see. Petrol Mondeo would be a contender too. The recentish 1.6 sounds quite pokey enough and hekonomikal too. Wonder if it's a chain? Must investigate.....

I likeses Mundaneoes.
 BMW X5 E53 SUV - Trade value please - commerdriver
>> So the on-paper favourite is a BMW 330d GT
>>
I tested a 3 series GT a couple of years ago, which seemed at the time very big inside, certainly bigger than my then current 2010 3 series saloon.
Can't confirm specifics however as we are a family of short people, averaging 5 foot 4.
318d rather than a 330d but very nice to drive
My pal is currently trying to get best price on a new LR Disco Sport to replace his X5. My 330 goes Monday and no replacement in sight, so may have to go away for a few weeks and have another look see when I return.
Or buy an old banger advertised in local supermarket as an interim measure.
Your last sentence contains a very sensible solution.
thank you indeed sir.
I try not to compromise too much, so bangernomics is beckoning. The last time I tried it, with the 330s predecessor, I had a very nice Mazda 626 2.0 petrol hatch with all the toys for £950.
Went from am an Elise to a 626 to a 330. Makes for an interesting life.
I'd have paid your pal £25k for that Panamera.....
Last edited by: legacylad on Fri 22 Apr 16 at 22:31
Doesn't matter what it is really does it, not if its just a stop gapper? Just find something with a long MOT, a believable service history and enough seats for the crumblies.
You saying the previous sentences weren't sensible? I have my doubts about the Disco Sport, after ten years of abuse with the X5 and 100% reliability.
And I think it very sensible to go away for a few weeks. I recall you mentioning sex and travel.
;-)
I keep looking at those new Discovery Sport things. On paper it would a perfectly suitable 'next' car for me. Can't quite like them though. They look 'fat' somehow, a bit feminine and inexplicably annoying. As if Vanessa Feltz was a car or something.

Not for me.

;-)
 BMW X5 E53 SUV - Trade value please - Clk Sec
>> I keep looking at those new Discovery Sport things. On paper it would a perfectly
>> suitable 'next' car for me. Can't quite like them though. They look 'fat' somehow,
>> Not for me.

The Evoque has to be the car for you, then.
Last edited by: Clk Sec on Sat 23 Apr 16 at 12:23
Not keen on those either, along with VW Sciroccos they look a bit as if an elephant has stood on them to me.

Nah, whatever comes next will be some form or make of large estate car again I expect. It's a boring formula but one that works for me.
Last edited by: Runfer D'Hills on Sat 23 Apr 16 at 12:26
If you could get that X5 cheap enough LL, and you know for sure it hasn't got any obvious faults at present, it's amazing what a valeter could do to the inside. Sure, anything with those kind of miles is a punt but on the other hand if it's done 230k without any major issues so far and you won't be doing more than 6k a year it might well be absolutely fine as a temporary solution.

£2500 sounds topside though. I'd have been thinking more around £1750 and for your friend to stump for a thorough valet before you took it.
Last edited by: Runfer D'Hills on Sat 23 Apr 16 at 12:59
Problem is my best pal will be keeping the LR for several years ( I assume his 06 is a 2006 car) so will order it in the exact spec he requires. I have no idea of delivery times, so could do with his old one next week.
Nobody advertising any old bangers in my local supermarket this am, so currently networking.
Well, for what it's worth, we had a problem many years ago when my wife's car was stolen from a railway station car park. We lived in a very rural location with no daily public transport and she needed a car urgently. We had no idea at that time whether her car would be recovered or what the insurance pay out would be if it wasn't or how long it would take.

We could have hired something I guess but again, we had no indication of timescales so it felt like a potentially expensive option. Her insurance policy didn't cover a hire car either.

Sooo, we went to a large car supermarket type place in the nearest city and explained our dilemma to one of the sales guys. I stressed that we were not there ( yet anyway ) to buy an expensive car and that we were simply needing a quick, cheap and temporary solution.

The salesman was really helpful and took us round the back where the trade ins were. Cars they had no intention of reselling to the public and which were due to be sent to auction.

He spoke to the guy who was in charge of dealing with those and asked him which ones had a long MOT and tax. A little Panda was identified as having a good service history, tax and ticket and sensible miles despite its advancing years.

Bottom line was he took about a grand for it rather than send it to auction.

She never did get her car back and the plan was to trade the Fiat in along with her insurance payout to put her back in something decent. But she grew to like the little Panda and ended up keeping it for 4 years !

The point of all this is to suggest that maybe you could find a somethingorother that may not be in the first flush of youth but that still has a breath or two of life left in it if you're not too fussy what it is.

Last edited by: Runfer D'Hills on Sat 23 Apr 16 at 15:12
 BMW X5 E53 SUV - Trade value please - Armel Coussine
>> The point of all this is to suggest that maybe you could find a somethingorother that may not be in the first flush of youth but that still has a breath or two of life left in it if you're not too fussy what it is.

I would further add that to me anyway, absolutely any jalopy however horrible will have an interesting side, even if it isn't ideal from the efficiency point of view.

No doubt there are people here who think I have no discernment. They are wrong though, I'm a true connoisseur.
You could always make PeterS an offer on his Audi A2, he's had that quite a while now by his standards and may well be looking to move it on!

;-)
Last edited by: Runfer D'Hills on Sat 23 Apr 16 at 15:27
 BMW X5 E53 SUV - Trade value please - Dog
>>No doubt there are people here who think I have no discernment.

What on earth gave you that idea Sire.

:o}
Last edited by: Dog on Sat 23 Apr 16 at 15:35
Splendid idea Runfer. I have already contacted my 'car trade' friends and the only criteria is a long MOT and 5 doors, preferably petrol. Having indulged ( that's an oxymoron) in bangernomics previously, I always buy on condition.
We'll see what turns up next Monday once I've got cash in pocket, although Nephew wants to collect sooner rather than later. He must be excited! A 12yo BM at that.
Latest Forum Posts