Motoring Discussion > BMW 3-Series E46 - Going going...tax & retention query Buying / Selling
Thread Author: legacylad Replies: 37

BMW 3-Series E46 - Going going...tax & retention query - legacylad
My nephew wants to collect my BM tomorrow...its taxed until the end of the month, but he isn't aware that tax is not passed on to the new keeper. 12 months tax is currently £290.
I surmise he will have to buy tax from April 1st....it would be better if his dad collected the car Sunday 1st May to save a months tax. Not a problem insurance wise, as he is on the policy.
In the meantime I can put the prat plate on retention from 1st May... If I do it any sooner my insurer will charge an admin fee of £50 for the plate change on their records.
Do I have that right please?
 BMW 3-Series E46 - Going going...tax & retention query - Manatee
I think you might be better to SORN it now if you aren't using it.

If you record the transfer as 30 April or earlier, then he will need to pay VED for April (as well as you).

If you record the transfer as 1 May, then you might be liable for May if it isn't SORNed. The nuance here is that your VED runs out in April. If it had a month or two to run, then I'd expect you to lose a month (i.e. you would not get refunded for May).

But, your VED runs out in April, and they haven't got the money for May. So the question is, would they chase you for May? You would hope not, as the car is taxed from that date by your nephew, but if it is SORNed until the date of transfer then you are in the clear.

If you SORN it before the end of the month, and he buys it on 1 May and taxes it immediately, there should be no doubt.

Regarding the cherished number, you can do that online too, in the day(s) before the transfer. What I don't know is whether they advise the new reg number immediately. If not, he will need to use the existing one and then he will potentially have an admin fee when he makes the plate change.

All the above is my guesswork, not fact!

Something here -

blog.moneyadviceservice.org.uk/car-tax-timing-it-right-reminders-and-biscuits-your-reaction-to-the-end-of-the-paper-tax-disc
Incidentally - if he still wants to collect it tomorrow, then I assume you could just do the transfer, put the number on retention, and cancel your insurance without incurring an admin fee (or even just let it expire, which would preserve a full year's no-claims record). No point advising a number change for a car you don't have and can't make a claim on, as you don't own it.

If he doesn't want to tax it until 1 May, then he has the option of SORNing it immediately - but I can foresee that the DVLA database might not keep up with this if you are trying to do all this online at the same time!
 BMW 3-Series E46 - Going going...tax & retention query - R.P.
Change of reg can be done online. Simple way to do it
Thanks Manatee
I have just spoken with my nephew and his leave has changed ( again) so he will collect it on Wednesday now. I appreciate that I will get no tax refund as it expires end April, will put the plate on retention tomorrow via the DVLA website and presumably fit the old plates. I will cancel/ put my insurance on hold, from midnight Wednesday as I shall be driving the car that day and showing him the general operation of things.
Not sure what date to put the plate on retention from though? If I tell my insurers about change of reg number ( back to original) they will charge me £50.
I can be without a car for several days...even longer if I go away last minute to a place in the sun for a week or so. And a friend has offered to take me to a car supermarket and see if they have any cheap p/ex's on Runfers excellent suggestion.
Sad news...as previously mentioned, my nephew collects the 330 this Wednesday. The main reason for selling was my 88yo mum really struggles getting out of the rear seat when my 98yo aunt is in the front seat.
Yesterday the 98 yo fell at home, broke her hip, and is currently undergoing surgery. My medical contacts tell me it will be a long slow process before she is allowed home. I don't have the heart to tell my nephew I'll be keeping it a little longer...
Probably Motorpoint tomorrow am to try and pick up an older car to keep me mobile for hospital visiting some 40 miles away, and ferrying elderly friends ( those who are still on top).
Would you Adam & Eve it!
 BMW 3-Series E46 - Going going...tax & retention query - Pat
Sorry to hear that LL, it always warmed the cockles of my heart reading your posts about taking your Aunt out....I shall miss them.

Pat
The old girl underwent tests yesterday afternoon to see whether she was strong enough for a general anaesthetic. She has previously had heart problems, has a pacemaker, stents & more types of tablets to take each day than you can shake a stick at.
Underwent surgery yesterday evening.... There was a considerable chance she wouldn't wake up but according to the hospital she is doing ok after the op. Looks like 70 mile round trips to Bradford Royal will soon become part of my routine, just as I start my new part time jobs!
No overseas trips for me in the near future ... Family eh.
She could be in BRI for several weeks, so off this afternoon ( after looking for a banger this am) to check her flat, empty fridge of perishables, turn off water, turn CH down.
And my 88 yo mum gets to ride in the front seat of the 330 for a change!
Think I'll need a beer or three tonight
 BMW 3-Series E46 - Going going...tax & retention query - Skip
Good to hear that she is doing ok LL. She comes from a tough remarkable generation !
 BMW 3-Series E46 - Going going...tax & retention query - WillDeBeest
Does she? Most of her contemporaries are dead; were they all tough and remarkable? Or were they the usual mixture of tough ones, wet ones, determined ones, compassionate ones, hard workers, deadbeats and all the other types that make up humanity? She's one individual, no doubt with her own faults and foibles to go with her admirable qualities. And I hope she's doing well after the accident.

My wife's grandmother was from that same generation - born 1913 - and she was abominable, a model of pure selfishness, who used what charm she had to persuade other people that they should do exactly as she wanted. Takes all sorts; always has.

Not - before CS suggests it - a swipe at oldies; just a swipe at lazy generalizations. I'd say the same about my generation but it doesn't have many 98-year-olds.
 BMW 3-Series E46 - Going going...tax & retention query - CGNorwich
I rather took it as a simple compliment to an elderly lady rather than a lazy generalisation.
 BMW 3-Series E46 - Going going...tax & retention query - Pat
Me too CG.

Today is starting much like yesterday, first post I read....:(

Pat
I've still got the BM. Nephew & I had arranged for him to collect today after I put the plate on retention and refitted the old plates. Only it doesn't work like that. The DVLA website said 'No' and I had to download a V317 and send it off snail mail. The DVLA helpline couldn't explain why I was not allowed to do it online.
Now awaiting new V5C with new reg so I can transfer ownership... It works quite well really as I haven't found a banger yet to visit the old Aunt a few times each week. Who, unsurprisingly, Is sitting up in bed looking healthier than me after having her hip screwed and plated. Her heart wasn't strong enough to chance a general anaesthetic, and she really enjoyed the experience in theatre! Expects to be home in a few days. I think not.
Get her home as fast as you can. Hospitals are dangerous places. Very best wishes to her.
Last edited by: Manatee on Wed 27 Apr 16 at 17:55
Top speed electronically limited to 155.
Should be fast enough
 BMW 3-Series E46 - Going going...tax & retention query - Runfer D'Hills
Just to lob another thought into the mix LL, might there be a case for buying a ( any ) 3 series estate which maybe doesn't fully fit your brief but would sort of "do" until you find " the one" ?

Maybe an older cheaper one but not necessarily a banger. Two reasons for this latest suggestion, the first being it solves your short term transport needs and the second being it would prove or disprove the basic suitability of the model for your long term plans without the commitment to a substantial purchase. Could still trade it in when you find the perfect match to your wish list.

My thoughts exactly. Might be buying an older 320 petrol estate. Pretty bomb proof. Keep me going until the right one comes along at Motorpoint ( or wherever).
I offered to buy my ex ex's '03 IS Sportcross, complete with dinged panels, but she is very attached to it.
Last edited by: legacylad on Wed 27 Apr 16 at 21:36
 BMW 3-Series E46 - Going going...tax & retention query - Alanovich
>> Get her home as fast as you can. Hospitals are dangerous places. Very best wishes
>> to her.
>>

Quite so. A friend of mine (mid-50s gentleman) was recently in hospital for some prostate cancer treatment, an operation. He was terminal but had plenty of life in him, good few years left. He came out dead having contracted an infection post-op.

:-(
Oi, LL, how's about this for a stop gap:

www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201604243298812

Lowest risk purchase for very little money?

Given the Manchester stamps in the service book and the fact that it's 174 miles from my house, it may well be within striking distance of you.

Utter bargain and very nice. Would really like it myself, frankly. Silly money.
Many thanks for that Al... 330 finally going tomorrow when my nephew starts leave. New V5C and retention certificates received, old plates back on. There was a delay whilst I got a minor wheel arch scrape fettled but now back on track.
Still no sign of that elusive 328 3yo Touring, but my mechanic friend rang today to ask if I wanted a stop gap 2011 Focus 1.6tdi Sport. 128k miles, FSH, circa £2k. More details to follow. I don't need a car for a few weeks...I'm pottering with lots of local jobs next week then will fly away for some sun last minute.
I would be gratefully for any thoughts on that option....or the one below...
In the meantime another friend has tentatively offered me his 2006 one owner X5 3.0D for £2k. 235k miles! 100% trouble free from new. Might not be available for a while though as he is waiting for a new LR Disco Sport.
Are you sure you're friend didn't say "free trouble"? And make sure you won't have to buy any tyres for it. I'd take the Focus, of the two, unless it's a dog.
I can honestly say it has been 100% trouble free... He's my best pal and wouldn't sell it me otherwise. Thanks for the tyre advice... I'm aware of the cost. As is he! Plus it has a full set of winter wheels and tyres included.
Another few months and they will be refitted...which reminds me that if he chops it in, advise him to keep the winter set and sell separately online
Here you go, LL, perhaps a retired gentleman in the Fife area would deliver it to you for a the price of a rail fare home?

www.ebay.co.uk/itm/121991601690

;-)
Last edited by: VxFan on Fri 20 May 16 at 10:39
 BMW 3-Series E46 - Going going...tax & retention query - RichardW
>> if I wanted a stop gap 2011 Focus 1.6tdi Sport. 128k miles, FSH, circa £2k

That may well be the Ford version of the 16V Ford / PSA engine that eats turbos for fun. In 2011 PSA went to an 8V version, but I don't know about Ford. If it's the early 16V engine then barge pole touch it with don't!!! The later engine is OK.
A 2011 car of any kind at £2k sounds far, far too cheap. Hmm.
That's exactly what I thought.....
 BMW 3-Series E46 - Going going...tax & retention query - Duncan
>> a stop gap 2011 Focus 1.6tdi Sport. 128k miles, FSH,
>> circa £2k. ..
>>another friend has tentatively offered me his 2006 one owner X5 3.0D
>> for £2k. 235k miles!

They are both dirt cheap! Why is that? The cheapest similar Fiesta on Autotrader is £3,500 and the cheapest X5 is £5,300.

Are second hand cars in t'Dales worth nowt?
I have only bought 3 of my 40 odd cars from garages, and for two of those there was a 2/5 year wait. Most have been bought from friends, contacts & local shop ads.
The X5 price is what my friend has been offered in p/ex against a new Disco Sport... The same friend I have previously bought a Legacy estate from and an Audi 80 Sport ( remember them?)
I'm waiting to hear on the Focus, but my mechanic pal is having a look at it in the next few days, although it does seem rather cheap.
Depends what £2000 means to you at the moment I guess. If it's easy to find and you can afford to lose it if the X5 lets you down, then it sounds like a good short term solution. How much would you lose in depreciation on a new-ish 3 series in its first year? More than two grand I'd say.

You don't drive far, you know the car, you know the owner and in car purchase terms it's more or less loose change.

You'd get a lot of grannies and their groceries in one of those.
Last edited by: Runfer D'Hills on Sat 21 May 16 at 09:20
And a lot of skis...I've had several trips in the X5 both recently and over the years and actually recommended the colour ( metallic red) to my pal when he was buying it ten years ago. He obviously likes the colour because he has ordered his new LR in Firenze Red. I think there is a 3 month lead in time but anything could happen in the next 90 days!
I may contact londoncarbrokers early next week
Or, and I am serious, buy an old but up together Panda as a stop gap. You'll not stop laughing when you drive it, you can buy them for tuppence and they are surprisingly roomy.

I've driven all over Italy in hired ones for years and actually look forward to a short fling with one from time to time. You feel a bit like Noddy at first but within minutes you become an Italian and it remains one of the few vehicles you can rag the door handles off without straying too far towards ditches or threatening your licence.
Last edited by: Runfer D'Hills on Sat 21 May 16 at 09:47
 BMW 3-Series E46 - Going going...tax & retention query - Skip
>> Or, and I am serious, buy an old but up together Panda as a stop
>> gap. You'll not stop laughing when you drive it, you can buy them for tuppence
>> and they are surprisingly roomy.
>>

Agree 100% ! They remind me a bit of driving an original "proper" mini, just that the Panda is roomier & much more comfortable.
 BMW 3-Series E46 - Going going...tax & retention query - sherlock47
>> Or, and I am serious, buy an old but up together Panda as a stop
>> gap. You'll not stop laughing when you drive it, you can buy them for tuppence
>> and they are surprisingly roomy.
>>

Agree 100% !

I still like my Panda - Had it for 8 years and very early on I described it as having 'the spirit of the mini'.

The only non routine wear replacement has been a £5 piece of plastic in the window winder mechanism. Maybe I should get rid now.

The other big plus point is the ease of entry - low seats - high opening clearance. Ideal for bad mobility backs.
I want one. I have no current use for one, but I want one. ( along with a three storey stone built house with a roof terrace in Rome )

;-)
And an evening entertaining Claudia Cardinale on your roof terrace ( at least how she looked in the 1968 film Once upon a time in the West, my favourite film )

Excellent call on the Panda, although I wasn't overly impressed with the almost new Punto I hired for two weeks earlier this year. Plenty of Pandii for sale privately within 50 miles.

Re the Focus...I suspect something's got lost in translation. A 2011 run out second generation 1.6 Tdi Sport 5 door in metallic grey, full service history, 130k miles & 12 months MOT for£2k. Sounds too good to be true. I smell a ratto.
 BMW 3-Series E46 - Going going...tax & retention query - Bromptonaut
>> Re the Focus...I suspect something's got lost in translation. A 2011 run out second generation
>> 1.6 Tdi Sport 5 door in metallic grey, full service history, 130k miles & 12
>> months MOT for£2k. Sounds too good to be true. I smell a ratto.

As a straw in wind I paid a tad under £5k at a franchised dealer for a 2011 Skoda Roomster 1.6Tdi with approx half as many miles.

An awful lot of private buyers will run away from cars with 100k plus.
My mechanic pal gave me the reg of this Focus 1.6tdi Sport thing...March 2011. Mileage is higher than expected at 133k, but full main dealer service history. Checked its MOT history online, and it's failed all three! The first two on minor headlight issues, the final one on a dodgy tyre. Now been promised it for next weekend @ £2k. Metallic grey which is an ok colour.
My pal could be holding on to his X5 for a while... A longer wait than expected for its replacement.
In the meantime my exex has kindly let me run her '03 Lexus Sportcross a few more days as I need transport for my jobs this weekend. Got to say, after being abused by her ( the car not me) for 11 years, with minor scrapes & dings on most panels, it is beautifully built. Feels rock solid, not a single squeak or rattle, and the straight six, whilst very different performance wise to my old 330, really is smooth. Everything works as it should, with all knobs & switchgear feeling very tactile.
It will get a thorough clean & valet tonight as a thank you for the loan...I have seemingly acres of stone slabs to pressure wash at an old house today covered in green slime. Home before sunset I hope!
Sort of begs the question on how long you have to have a new car before you start "using" it...

I got my new car last week and yesterday, it transported three mountain bikes and their riders to the foot of a Welsh mountain, up a muddy track to our start point, the open tailgate / load bed served as a picnic table when we'd done and then it took the whole ensemble home again. The inside is erm, "lived in" already, and the flanks now sport some quite artistic impressions of rooster tails of dried mud.

It will get cleaned today in honour and respect of its newness I suppose.

;-)
Last edited by: Runfer D'Hills on Mon 30 May 16 at 09:28
Latest Forum Posts