Motoring Discussion > Did anyone go to Pat's lorry driving test day? Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Iffy Replies: 41

Did anyone go to Pat's lorry driving test day? - Iffy
A few on here were planning to go to the event, which I think was at least part-organised by Pat.

Did anyone go?

And if so, what was it like?

Did anyone go to Pat's lorry driving test day? - RattleandSmoke
I wasn't going to mention it but since the topic has been bought up I attended. I got to drive two trucks, a Volvo FH (I think) auto and an old Scannia manual. Must have had at least an hour if not more behind the wheel.

It was very good they placed a clio in front of a truck so we could all see how little vision there is directly in front of the cab.

I found the auto very easy to drive and was able to park a trailer in a very tight spot with help from the exellent instructor. However I found the manual a lot harder as I the gear stick had such a large throw on it and my left elblow is weaker than it was since breaking it.

Its a shame I never got to drive the 1952 Bedford but a lady got in it and the starter solinoid blew so I never got a chance to drive it.

As far as I am aware apart from PDA (who organised it) the only other person who went from here was Old Navy.

It was a great experience and I think the transport company were amazing letting Pat and her team do it. The yard was very busy and the staff did really well making sure we didn't hit anything.
 Did anyone go to Pat's lorry driving test day? - Ted

Glad you had a good time Ratto. Bit different to that Panda. Did you drive across or go on the puffer ?
I was invited but circumstances here meant I couldn't leave the ranch.
Had to make do with a Roast beef and Yorkshire pud dinner with strawberry pavlova....I suffer for my art !

Ted
Went on the train for reasons discussed plenty of times before in this forum! but also it was actually 45 minutes quicker than driving (according to google) and if it was in the week it would have been over an hour quicker. The train tickets were cheaper than fuel as well as it would have been 400 miles round trip.

I stayed over at a local B&B where Old Navy was also staying and then he dropped me off at Peterborough station this morning before he drove back to Scotland.

I enjoyed the train rides too. The Panda certainly felt very diffrent when I was driving it this afternoon.
Just remebered there was another member on here too that went, Golfball I think his name was :).
 Did anyone go to Pat's lorry driving test day? - Skoda
Sounds like a cool day out. That was really good of you Pat
 Did anyone go to Pat's lorry driving test day? - Old Navy
It was an excellent day, although aimed at newly qualified or potential lorry drivers the "hangers on" like me were made very welcome and treated as everyone else. There must have been a huge amount of organisation involved in the day and the company which gave us free run of their yard (under one to one supervision) and more than million £ worth of vhehicles, and the drivers who gave up a day off to supervise and instruct, all deserve many thanks.
 Did anyone go to Pat's lorry driving test day? - hobby
Yes, well done Pat... shame I couldn't make it!
 Did anyone go to Pat's lorry driving test day? - Pat
It was a good day and great to put some names to faces.

I promised car4play forum members that I wouldn't discuss their efforts on here though!
Suffice to say they all did very well, specially Rattle, who managed to fix my email problem on the laptop in 2 seconds flat:)

A huge sigh of relief once again that we managed to do this for the eighth year and had no damage at all.

The problem with the Bedford was easily sold and is indicative of it's age.

Thanks ON for taking some brilliant photo's!

Pat
 Did anyone go to Pat's lorry driving test day? - VxFan
>> Thanks ON for taking some brilliant photo's!

Are these publically available?
I am not clever enough to get them here, but some have appeared here.

www.pda-uk.org/nuke/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=19631

(scroll down)
Last edited by: Old Navy on Mon 2 Aug 10 at 10:20
One for Zero.

The cee'd did 780 miles over the weekend, didn't miss a beat, didn't use any oil, averaged 50.5 mpg and didn't need the warranty. :-)
 Did anyone go to Pat's lorry driving test day? - Zero
The Lancer is 4 years old, has done 29k miles, has not needed the warranty in last 29k miles, has used no oil in the last 9k miles, and I drive mine faster than you do yours.

You dont have a leg to stand on till mine misses a beat, because it will always have done more miles than yours.

;P

Oh and when mine gets to 7 years or 100k miles without needed a warranty type repair, I can tease you about how much your warranty cost.....

;P
And when both cars are finally done, the pair of you can buy something with a 21st century ride/handling compromise. :)

If you mean the CC, that sentence should read

something with compromised ride/handling.
If you drive faster than me you are definitely illegal !
I was very impressed with the Cee'ed it felt very well screwed together and made no unusual noises. It felt and sounded more like a petrol than a diesel and had very good ride, not too soft or too harsh.

As for if its better than a Focus it depends on list prices. At RRP the Kia is a far better car but now list prices have come down a lot the Focus can be had for £13k. I've only been in the early MK2 Focuses and was not that impressed with the trim quality, the seats felt cheap, the Kia felt far better but then the Focus has been improved a lot since.

If you replaced the Kia badge with VW or Ford you would not be able to tell the difference. The Cee'ed is a massive step forward from the old Rios and Picantos which always felt cheap inside.

Thanks Rattle, you can have a lift anytime. :-)
 Did anyone go to Pat's lorry driving test day? - Bagpuss
>> and made no unusual noises.

You're setting the benchmark rather high there, aren't you?

Not really. Before I started driving I used to get a lot of lifts and was often surprised how many newish cars sounded awful in some regard. Ratteling bits of trim being the most obvious. However of course any brand new car should be completly silent, even my Panda is.
I didn't notice any problems at all with the way the Cee'ed handeled from a passangers point of view. They probably are better handeling cars out there but Old Navy does not want to do 100mph down country lanes.

I think the problem is modern cars are just too good there isn't anything to choose betweem them so people get very nit picky. I think once Kia replaced their old models that is when their reputation will change for the better.
Its not country lanes from the yard to Peterborough station, Its an A road, The A47.
>> Its not country lanes from the yard to Peterborough station, Its an A road, The
>> A47.
>>
The B&B was not near the yard, It was in the village that Pat lives in. The A47 was not used to access Peterborough.
50.5mpg from a diesel on a run?

Is that all?
...Is that all?...

Yeah, is that all?

The CC3 would get that...going downhill. :)
>> 50.5mpg from a diesel on a run?
>>
>> Is that all?
>>
Real world hard driven miles, not wishful thinking fantasy, or manufacturers fixed figures.
I used to get 55 very hard driven miles from the laguna, 49mpg hard driven miles from the van like Touran.
>> I used to get 55 very hard driven miles from the laguna, 49mpg hard driven
>> miles from the van like Touran.
>>
Either you can't count or you are a mimser. :-)
Last edited by: Old Navy on Mon 2 Aug 10 at 17:03
50mpg? It must be very disheartening.
...It must be very disheartening....

Yes, but it's uphill all the way back to Scotland, isn't it?

Not at all, the consumption is as expected, this included 100 miles local running about, and the engine is not fully loosened up yet. I consider anything over 40mpg to be OK, that would be the warranty out figure.
All the beer in the boot for the barbie didn't help either:)

Patn
Last edited by: pda on Mon 2 Aug 10 at 18:15
>> All the beer in the boot for the barbie didn't help either:)
>>
>> Patn

Ssssshhh !
He STOLE the beer intended for the barbie?
Sweets from the grandkids is dangerous enough, beer from tired and thirsty lorry drivers and their ladies, I am definitely not that brave. :-)
 Did anyone go to Pat's lorry driving test day? - legacylad
Has it started since?................tic
 Did anyone go to Pat's lorry driving test day? - Golf_Paul
I got to this thread a bit late!

IIH ...

Yes.

Interesting and informative.

Nice to meet both ON and Rattle.

By the time the driving and demonstrations etc were over, it seemed that everyone was in a hurry to go - quite understandable in view of the long day and considering the effort put in by the organisers. I reckon they deserved to get home to their families after giving up their free time for us "amateurs".

I thoroughly enjoyed the day. Well done Pat and others, and "Thank you".

Hi G_P it was good to meet you, and a good day !
 Did anyone go to Pat's lorry driving test day? - FocalPoint
Didn't know a thing about this... :-(

I really must stay in more and spend more time with my computer!

Sorry to have missed it - sounds really good!
Well, how about we do it again next year and invite the first 20 who email and book? :)

Pat
 Did anyone go to Pat's lorry driving test day? - Redviper
Looked Awesome (good pics), I would have loved to do something like that. - I too didnt know about it
...Well, how about we do it again next year and invite the first 20 who email and book? :)...

Most forum members would be happy to let their allocated lorry run, but some would want it locked, and others would say it should never have been started in the first place. :)

Latest Forum Posts