Motoring Discussion > Audi A1 - 2-year service - good value Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Auntie Lockbrakes Replies: 16

Audi A1 - 2-year service - good value - Auntie Lockbrakes
My A1 1.4TFSI turned 2 years old at the beginning of May, just as 10,000 miles clicked over on the odometer.

The first 3 annual services are free, as part of the purchase, so I was surprised to be given a copy of the invoice with the charges broken out. 365-odd quid, which I thought reasonable for a main dealer service (in their new glass palace)? Price included wiper blades (also changed last year) and brake fluid change.

Same again next year please. And then I'll be paying myself in year 4...
 Audi A1 - 2-year service - good value - Falkirk Bairn
£365 - eye watering for what is 1 to 2 hours at the very maximum of a semi skilled serviceman/ woman + some fluids & filters -with 10K on the clock there should be really nothing to do apart from the oil change+ maybe brake fluid change.

Isn't the A1 just a Fabia/Polo with a posh interior finish?

Then again I do not know where the Glass Palace is located.
 Audi A1 - 2-year service - good value - madf
A yaris is Approx £190 for a minor service and £250 for a major.

A Jazz is roughly the same but a major with CVT fluid change is £365.

Audi owners buy a badge , pay for the badge and keep paying.. £365 is exorbitant... Someone has to pay for salespeople's Armani ...
 Audi A1 - 2-year service - good value - R.P.
My wife took her MINI in for its second TLC Service last week, My wife took it and caught a glimpse of the Invoice price of £600+....
 Audi A1 - 2-year service - good value - legacylad
Think I had better keep good friends with my mechanic friend. For the annual oil & filter change, plus thorough inspection whilst up on the ramps, he charged £70/£80 for the 330.
Most he ever charged me was £470 in Nov '14 for Inspection2 service. Oil, fuel, air & oil filters, 6 plugs, new rear discs & pads all round. I thought that was a lot!
 Audi A1 - 2-year service - good value - sooty123
When you are buying a new car that cost 5 figures it's not really a huge amount and I'm not sure many main dealers are closing? So people seem happy to pay that service. whether it's to get a car for the day, a fancy brew or people remember their name.
I just service the car myself, the Toyota is very easy to do a service on. I think it was about £35 for the oil, filter and cabin filter delivered.
 Audi A1 - 2-year service - good value - VxFan
>> Price included wiper blades (also changed last year)

I can't recall the last time I changed any wiper blades. Changing them yearly seems a bit excessive, especially considering the mileage.

Still, as long as you're not "paying" for them, I suppose it doesn't matter.
Last edited by: VxFan on Thu 26 May 16 at 09:17
 Audi A1 - 2-year service - good value - WillDeBeest
Sooty is right: it's a small part of the cost of ownership. Most makers now offer service plans, even on approved used cars like mine, which can be extraordinarily good value (especially if the first owner has already paid for it!) Even without that, prices are negotiable. Last month's MB service on the LEC came down from £370 to £265 just because I asked. (And I'd have settled for £300.)
 Audi A1 - 2-year service - good value - Bill Payer
>> The first 3 annual services are free, as part of the purchase, so I was
>> surprised to be given a copy of the invoice with the charges broken out. 365-odd
>> quid, which I thought reasonable for a main dealer service (in their new glass palace)?

>> Daughter's Golf had the same deal and I was given a copy of the invoice they send to VWFS - £68! At second service I asked for the invoice and there was some consternation that I'd been given the first one.

What did they do? VW don't do stuff like air and fuel filters and spark plugs until the car is 4yrs old. Unless you're paying cash, then they want you to have amajor service every2yrs.

>> Price included wiper blades (also changed last year) and brake fluid change.
>>
That they changed the wipers is odd - particularly every year. It's not part of the service schedule. Also strange that brake fluid was done at 2yrs when VW say first change is 3yrs - and even then their service plans don't always include it.

>> Same again next year please. And then I'll be paying myself in year 4...
>>
They do discounted servicing on 4+ cars - I think it's around £300 for a major service. Not sure if the price varies by model but I've seen comments from people with high-end Audi models that the fixed price deal for them is ridiculously good value - indie's can't get near it.
 Audi A1 - 2-year service - good value - WillDeBeest
Remember Auntie lives in NZ, which may share things like service schedules with the larger market across the Tasman. The sun there is probably hot enough to destroy wiper rubber much faster than in the UK, so perhaps the schedule reflects that.

MB does old-car rates too, but ours is still on the full schedule, partly because it keeps it in the pan-European Mobilo rescue scheme, which may be useful one day. (I wonder if they keep a reserve of diesel for desperate British tourists.)
 Audi A1 - 2-year service - good value - smokie
I'd be asking for the old wiper blades to put in the garage till they really did need replacing. :-)
 Audi A1 - 2-year service - good value - VxFan
Jees, and I thought I was tight.
 Audi A1 - 2-year service - good value - Old Navy
Everything in moderation?
 Audi A1 - 2-year service - good value - mikeyb
Perhaps servicing for the CT at my local Lexus emporium is more reasonable than I thought then.

£195 for the interim, £345 for the full. I took the offer of a service plan, you just agree expected mileage, and number of services to include, then they give 10% discount and let you pay monthly.

Will say though, they didn't wash it at the last service as they had technical issues, so they have promised to give it a full valet next time
>> Remember Auntie lives in NZ,

Ah - thanks. With him quoting a price in pounds I kinda assumed he was in the UK. I even more surprised that amount is considered reasonable in NZ.

>> MB does old-car rates too, but ours is still on the full schedule, partly because
>> it keeps it in the pan-European Mobilo rescue scheme, which may be useful one day.
>> (I wonder if they keep a reserve of diesel for desperate British tourists.)
>>

You still get Mobilo even if you use the "old-car rates", you only lose it if have a 7yr+ Value Service - which makes that offer completely pointless. I know that's a somewhat tonque-in-cheek comment about fuel, but be careful with the coverage as it varies based on which version of Mobilo your car qualifies for. Generally they lose the "minor mishap" cover as they get older.
 Audi A1 - 2-year service - good value - Auntie Lockbrakes
Yes, I am in NZ. Not necessarily cheaper here than the UK here though. To be honest, in the global economy, don't most branded goods and services cost pretty much the same in every country these days?! If anything, over here the limited imports of anything remotely "exotic" from faraway Europe (cars, furniture, etc) tends to lift prices even higher!

I was surprised that they changed wiper blades after only 1 year. It's milder than the UK here, with very little winter frost and ice, but you certainly can't say that the blistering summer heat really degrades wiper rubber! Car paintwork does start to fade quite rapidly after 10 or so years though, it's true...

I thought that a 2-year service on most cars was usually twice as big/expensive as the intermediary 1/3/5 year one?
>> I thought that a 2-year service on most cars was usually twice as big/expensive as
>> the intermediary 1/3/5 year one?
>>

Well certainly on VW (which ought to be the same as Audi) they do little to the car other than oil and filter changes until it's 4yrs old apart from pollen filter change every couple of year.

It's the same with Mercedes. VW differ in that once over 4yrs old (so out of any included service package) they then insist the car has a major service every 2yrs. VW's servicing regime and pricing seemed designed just to scam me, so it's the only only marque in our family fleet that is servicing by an indie.
Latest Forum Posts