Motoring Discussion > Outies in Vauxhalls Miscellaneous
Thread Author: WillDeBeest Replies: 34

Outies in Vauxhalls - WillDeBeest
Beestling Minor commented yesterday: 'Opel is quite a cool name. Why don't they use it here?'

Well, in RP's in-out thread, all the known Vauxhall owners who've confessed their intentions are Outies and that's got me wondering. Cool or not, Opel is undoubtedly European, so does Vauxhall still carry enough of a whiff of Little England to appeal to those seduced by the 'Brussels' myth?

If so, shouldn't GM reconsider when the referendum results are in and have shown the regressive tendency to be in the minority? [Usual suspects can scowly in the usual way, but try to be clear whether you're doing it in your Vauxhall capacity or your Outie one.]
};---)
 Outies in Vauxhalls - rtj70
>> Opel is undoubtedly European

Adam Open was German. Born in Rüsselsheim.
 Outies in Vauxhalls - Manatee
>>does Vauxhall still carry enough of a whiff of Little England to appeal to those seduced by the 'Brussels' myth?

I'm confused - are you talking about yourself?
I thought you'd manage something better than that, Manatee.
I'm still confused...whatever it was is too subtle for me.
 Outies in Vauxhalls - CGNorwich
Did not GM intend to use soley the Opel name thorughout Europe at one time including the UK?

There was a time when you could buy both Opels and Vauxhalls here. - 1970s/80s?

I think they changed their mind becausese of the brand loyalty to Vauxhall
I remember the Opel dealer in Halifax. In fact the only one I remember. It was tiny, dusty, one or two cars in the showroom. A bit like Saab dealers were at the time.
 Outies in Vauxhalls - Runfer D'Hills
I wanted an Opel Manta, I got a Cavalier 1.6L. Life sucks sometimes.
Even the Opel Ascona looked cooler than the Cavalier. I tried to persuade my dad to get an orange one but he wanted an estate and there wasn't one.
Last edited by: WillDeBeest on Mon 6 Jun 16 at 11:45
There was nothing cool about my Cavalier Mk1. Custard yellow with sort tan plaid seats. Drove well enough though.
 Outies in Vauxhalls - Dog
>> Even the Opel Ascona looked cooler than the Cavalier.

Screwed together better too. Engines were better.
Was an orange car outside me owse yesterday (neighbs gg/daughter) Nobuddy liked the colour apart from me.
A Ford I tink.
I used to look after one of these for a Giza in Camberwell sowf lunden, mucho pre furred to the later mods.
I wouldn't say no to one now actually, but not in this colour:

www.carandclassic.co.uk/car/C732133#
 Outies in Vauxhalls - Alanovich
Love that picture of the engine, extramuralised from the car. Is it my amateur eye or does it have no sump? The oil filter appears attached to the block.
Ze oil filter is attached to the oil pump I presume?

Here's a proper Manta: forums.mantaclub.org/topic/23862-opel-manta-19l/?page=1
 Outies in Vauxhalls - Ian (Cape Town)
Locally, Opels are Opels.
But the boy racers rebadge them as Vauxhalls.
Go figure.
Also, many GM cars imported from elsewhere get different badging - the local Opel Halfton pickups are badged Chevrolet in brazil.
The brutal Holdens are badged as Chevrolet here.
The wheezy Daewoos are also badged as Chevs.
At one stage, back in the 80s, the 'Holden' Commodore was built and sold here as either a Chev or an Opel.
My mum had one of the last Chev badged ones.

Ther really interesting question of course is why does Vauxhall have a Griffin as a badge?

It is apparently the coat of arms of Sir Falkes de Breauté whose hall was located in the area now known as Vauxhall where the car factory once stood. Once known as Fox Hall

Falkes was a Norman French mercenary of King John, whose name derived from the word for scythe with which he once killed a man. Quite appropriate for the way some drive the cars.

European immigrant y'see, not to be trusted... They come here, not able to speak English, causing problems.

;-))
Yep illegitmate child of a Norman knight. Came over from Calais and did well for himself and got a top job with King John. Depriving locals of a decent job.

Died of eating a poisonous fish and serve him right.
 Outies in Vauxhalls - Haywain
"so does Vauxhall still carry enough of a whiff of Little England to appeal to those seduced by the 'Brussels' myth?"

My Vauxhall is hard-working, reliable, versatile, efficient and very cheap to run; so why would I want it to change its name-badge to Opel and risk all the opposites?
So you won't be taking a leap into a future you can't describe, can't quantify and don't understand, HW?
 Outies in Vauxhalls - John Boy
I recall a discussion on HJ about the relative merits of Opel and Vauxhall cars. One poster, resident in Germany, claimed that the Vauxhall versions were more popular in that country.
When? And in what sense 'popular'? I can't recall ever seeing a local Vauxhall (or even a UK one) in Germany. I'll be there again tomorrow, so I'll keep my eyes open.
 Outies in Vauxhalls - smokie
I took a Vauxhall Omega MV6 on a business trip to Germany to see a client. It broke down, and the client not only arranged everything for me with the local (30km) Opel dealer but also footed the entire bill. He said that was law in Germany, for foreign visitors. Who was I to argue? :-)
33 cars I've owned. Not a single Vauxhall. Nor Opel.

Driven plenty - Cavaliers, Chevettes, Astras, Novas, Corsas, Vectras, Carltons. Even a (shudder) Zafira, which we nearly bought, but the VW dealer sharpened his pencil on a Touran which aided the decision. Still never bought one. I've not intentionally avoided them, but I think my subconscious has been wisely guiding me. Of course, some would say I do own one, but in a fancy dress. Those who would do so, needless to say, know nothing.
Last edited by: Alanović on Mon 6 Jun 16 at 15:34
Lesby honest vić, this is what you'd really like:

www.aronline.co.uk/blogs/facts-and-figures/essays/why-we-love-the-saab-900-turbo/
 Outies in Vauxhalls - Robin O'Reliant
I buy on suitability, price and condition, couldn't give a toss what make it is.

I'm looking at a Fiat Doblo for my next motor, practical for my needs with decent load space.
 Outies in Vauxhalls - Alastairw
Of course the Doblo is also available with Vauxhall badges:

preview.tinyurl.com/h25cwuy
I quite like ( for no obvious reason ) the Fiat Qubo. Can't really say why, just do.
 Outies in Vauxhalls - Bromptonaut
>> I quite like ( for no obvious reason ) the Fiat Qubo. Can't really say
>> why, just do.

I would have liked one as nearest equivalent to my Mk2 Berlingo, but the example I saw didn't impress.
 Outies in Vauxhalls - Robin O'Reliant
I've never owned a Fiat, but driven a few and I rather like them.
Pandas are great.
 Outies in Vauxhalls - VxFan
>> Pandas are great.

Do they eat Nissan Leafs?
No, but they look best in black and white.
 Outies in Vauxhalls - legacylad
Pal of mine used to own a white Opel Manta years ago, and I still have photos somewhere of Russell Brookes rallying a Manta 400.
The mother of an ex gf drove a white Opel Kadett coupe. Looked very nice.
In fact all three of them did
>> www.aronline.co.uk/blogs/facts-and-figures/essays/why-we-love-the-saab-900-turbo/
>>

Funny enough I saw a battered C reg example last week whilst trundling round Wales in limp mode. "Alternative lifestyle" type lady at the wheel. Well played, madam.
Latest Forum Posts