Motoring Discussion > its geely over Buying / Selling
Thread Author: Bellboy Replies: 20

its geely over - Bellboy
www.motorauthority.com/blog/1040325_ford-to-complete-sale-of-volvo-to-geely-next-week
 its geely over - Skoda
I reckoned i'd well and truly smashed any hint of badge snobbery in me when i handed over some pennies for the keys to a skoda.

But I would never part with money for a car made in china.
 its geely over - Old Navy
>> But I would never part with money for a car made in china.
>>

Give it time, that used to be said of the Japanese, then the Koreans.
 its geely over - rtj70
A lot of car companies have assembly plants in China. Admittedly for the local market only. The Passat Plus which never came to the UK (but it did as a Skoda Superb) was available in China. A lot of cars like a 5-Series BMW are also available as long wheel base versions in China.
 its geely over - Skoda
>> Give it time

This is different, i'd hand over pennies for a Korean tomorrow, and i'd be happy with it.

>> This is different,>>

I bet just about all the consumer electronics you own are made in China.
 its geely over - rtj70
You'll be telling us the iPods and iPhones are all assembled in China next ;-) Surely not the Jesus phone.
 its geely over - Skoda
>> I bet just about all the consumer electronics you own are made in China.

There's a subtle, but important difference and it's exemplified in rtj70's BMW example.

Products designed and engineered by western companies, made in China to western standards, are fine. The western brand name ensures their chinese supplier toes the line.

Products designed and engineered by the chinese explode.

The bavarian directed chinese built BMW is fine. The chinese directed chinese clone / rip off 5 series is a death trap.
I concede, I have seen the Chinese car crash test video's. I wouldn't touch one with your bargepole either.
 its geely over - Bellboy
you con ceed
;-)
 its geely over - R.P.
Very funny ! :-)
 its geely over - RattleandSmoke
The Cee'ed isn't even Korean it is just developed by a Korean company. Its designed in Germany and made in Eastern Europe (Slovakia?).

Volvo will still be Volvo designed and made in Sweden it is just the company will be owned by the Chineese. No doubt they will then use Volvo to further develop Chineese cars. Is like when Proton bought Lotus Protons improved a tiny bit.

My car is made in Poland and I am glad it is, its built far better than any of the Italian FIATs we have owned or I have traveled in. However I would never buy a Polish developed car.
 its geely over - IJWS14
>> Volvo will still be Volvo designed and made in Sweden it is just the company
>> will be owned by the Chineese. No doubt they will then use Volvo to further
>> develop Chineese cars. Is like when Proton bought Lotus Protons improved a tiny bit.

Anyone who has any dealings with China or who reads the newspapers would not touch a Chinese built product.

Remember Matttell and leaded paint - right standards were written into the manufacture, chinese manager thought he could make some money by selling the lead free paint he was supposed to use and using some cheap locally made paint containing lead (now who uses enough paint with lead in it these days to justify making it - anyone outside China? my bet would be no, but the Chinese still make it).

Do a search for baby milk deaths in china on Google.

The Chinese save money wherever they can, Volvo will end up "assembling" cars in Sweden (probably screwing odd bits on) and the bulk of the work will be done in China under god knows what standard of quality control.

In reality Ford should be woeried about the IP.

BTW there is as much consumer electronics built in Europe as China - the labour (expensive) content is very low.
Last edited by: IJWS14 on Tue 3 Aug 10 at 08:16
 its geely over - Iffy
...now who uses enough paint with lead in it these days to justify making it...

Wish we still had lead in paint.

I had the exterior woodwork done at Ifithelps Towers two or three years ago, and it could do with doing again.

Modern car paints scratch much more easily than they used to.

A nylon car wash brush would never put swirl marks on proper cellulose.

Nearly every aspect of motoring has moved forwards, but paintwork has gone back.

its geely over - rtj70
My 2000 Passat went back to the lease company without a scratch on the paint work. The replacement cars have all picked up scratches and chips . Easy to scratch the paintwork behind the door handles with just your nails. But I know they had to shift to water based paints for the environment.
 its geely over - Iffy
...Easy to scratch the paintwork behind the door handles with just your nails...

When I sold cars in the 1980s, we took a two or three-year-old Merc in part-exchange.

The paint behind the driver's door handle was scratched to bare metal.

It wasn't Mercedes or the paint's fault - the lady owner always wore several rings with large stones.

its geely over - madf
Craig said "Products designed and engineered by the chinese explode."

Well that's apity for the environment.. as Chernobyl will look like child's play...

"Mainland China has 12 nuclear power reactors in operation, 23 under construction, and more about to start construction soon.
Additional reactors are planned, including some of the world's most advanced, to give more than a tenfold increase in nuclear capacity to 80 GWe by 2020, 200 GWe by 2030, and 400 GWe by 2050.
China is rapidly becoming self-sufficient in reactor design and construction, as well as other aspects of the fuel cycle. "

www.world-nuclear.org/info/inf63.html
 its geely over - Bellboy
read this yesterday
www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-10819027
would buy the 90 minute film but its £18
also went to the link of the photos they were spooky but cant find them now
anyone fancy a tour?
www.tourkiev.com/chernobyltour/
 its geely over - Bill Payer
>> Craig said "Products designed and engineered by the chinese explode."
>>
>> Well that's apity for the environment.. as Chernobyl will look like child's play...
>>
They had to go nuclear - they're opening 2 new coal-fired power stations every week, and the environmental impact is enormous.
 its geely over - Mike Hannon
Has anyone in the UK bought a Chinese MG TF or whatever they call it now?
 its geely over - RattleandSmoke
Seen one on a 10 plate, it looked quite awful. Dated and rather pointless, I think they do sell for £10k new though.
Latest Forum Posts