Motoring Discussion > Car insurance for the elderly Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Ambo Replies: 14

Car insurance for the elderly - Ambo
Can anyone recommend an insurer or broker for an elderly driver, with an elderly partner as a named driver in the policy please?
 Car insurance for the elderly - VxFan
I imagine the obvious ones would be

www.saga.co.uk/insurance/car-insurance.aspx

www.ageuk.org.uk/products/insurance/car-insurance/

www.50plusinsurance.co.uk/car-insurance/

www.postoffice.co.uk/car-insurance/over-50s
 Car insurance for the elderly - Duncan
>> Can anyone recommend an insurer or broker for an elderly driver, with an elderly partner
>> as a named driver in the policy please?

Wouldn't an online search with Go Compare, Confused.com, Money SuperMarket or Compare the Market be the best way to go? The elderly partner can be easily added at the search stage. The quotes can be saved.
 Car insurance for the elderly - Mike H
My father's 84, and LV are fine with that, and are highly rated by customers. It's only him on the insurance. At last premium renewal a couple of months ago they were significantly cheaper than Saga.

Here's the link:
www.lv.com/car-insurance
 Car insurance for the elderly - Clk Sec
>>they were significantly cheaper than Saga.

I've had a number of motor quotes from Saga, but none were competitive.
 Car insurance for the elderly - Dog
Try: www.generalaccident.com/
Thanks for hints. In the event, the present insurer turned out to be the cheapest. Saga is often cited but I found in the past that a simple enquiry let to a two-year bombardment with promotions for all manner of their products.
 Car insurance for the elderly - Slidingpillar
In the event, the present insurer turned out to be the cheapest.

Actually, I'm not surprised. They are best placed to see the driving record above and beyond the answers to the usual questions and no-claims bonus. I'd thus further not be surprised as a consequence if a quote for an identical driver, but a new one to them, was not for substantially more.
 Car insurance for the elderly - No FM2R
Actually the opposite.

Think about it, what information could they have beyond the proposal questions which would cause them to LOWER the price? Any additional and relevant information would be much more likely to increase the premium.
Actually the opposite.

Really. So the advice routinely given to the elderly is all wrong, that of stick with your existing company. I know you have a background in the insurance industry, but even so.

And since you are last word haver, no doubt you'll reply, but you won't hear from me as I know the futility of getting into a slanging match.
 Car insurance for the elderly - No FM2R
>> So the advice routinely given to the elderly is all wrong, that of stick with your existing company

No, but its not premium related.

It is related to the potential difficulty of getting insurance, the differing age-related rules between insurers, the different health related rules, and most of all the different way that they treat the age and health of an existing policyholder to how they may treat that of a prospective policyholder.

This advice is particularly important where health is involved, especially non-motor insurance, because of the potential for arguments over what is or is not pre-existing.

For those reasons older policyholders should act with care. Great care. And really consider moving simply to save money very carefully since it may be a short term view that they may come to regret.

>>And since you are last word haver, no doubt you'll reply

I don't really understand; did you want me to pretend that you were right? Because you were most certainly wrong and potentially giving wrong advice to the unwary. I thought I corrected you politely, would you prefer to have continued misunderstanding?
Last edited by: No FM2R on Tue 14 Jun 16 at 16:41
>>older policyholders should act with care.

Thanks, I will.
 Car insurance for the elderly - WillDeBeest
I'd thus further not be surprised as a consequence if a quote for an identical driver, but a new one to them, was not for substantially more.

You can have the last word, Slidey, if you have another go at that last sentence and make it intelligible.
};---)
I'd thus further not be surprised as a consequence if a quote for an identical driver, but a new one driver to them, was not for substantially more.
Last edited by: Slidingpillar on Tue 14 Jun 16 at 17:00
 Car insurance for the elderly - WillDeBeest
Still tying us in 'nots', if - as I think you do - you mean the insurer will quote higher for an unfamiliar driver than for one known to them.
Latest Forum Posts