Motoring Discussion > GAP insurance Tax / Insurance / Warranties
Thread Author: Skip Replies: 27

GAP insurance - Skip
I went to book the car in for its first MOT yesterday as it is 3 years old next month and managed to save myself the 45 quid by ordering a new car instead ! I declined the Peugeot finance GAP insurance at £500 which they kindly try to add to the invoice without asking me (& the £300 "Simoniz !) as I normally buy a 3rd party one at a third of that price. However as Privilege insurance supply a replacement car in the first 12 months if it's written off does that mean that I don't need it until it's a year old and can you get a policy that would start from then ?
 GAP insurance - WillDeBeest
As always, you need to check your obligations under the finance agreement. If the agreement terminates in the event of the original car being written off, a new car from the insurer may not help you and a cash payout may not cover the amount due.
 GAP insurance - Skip
Thanks WDB. Having given it some thought for what it costs it's probably worth taking it out.
Last edited by: Skip on Sun 12 Jun 16 at 07:42
 GAP insurance - Runfer D'Hills
What have you bought Skip?
 GAP insurance - Skip
Pug 208 1.2 110 turbo with a 6 speed "proper" auto. The auto bit was the main reason for changing to be honest as I regretted going back to a manual within an hour of picking it up ! Also I prefer a petrol to diesel and am only doing 13-15000 miles a year now so the fuel consumption is not so important. However the auto on this one is hardly any more thirsty than the manual version. Have lost my built in sat nav, but to be honest the one in the 308 wasn't great and I don't use it very often anyway. I guess you can probably pick up a decent one for under a ton these days anyway.
Last edited by: Skip on Sun 12 Jun 16 at 09:06
A friend who has just recently gone back to private motoring after having had a company car, has bought a mildly second hand Peugeot 508 estate with a 1.6 Diesel engine and an automatic gearbox. It sounds like a lot of car to lug around with that engine and transmission but he says it's fine, if a bit jerky on the changes. Not sure what type of auto box it is but it doesn't sound like a TC.

Well, equipped car though from what he says.

Hope you enjoy your 208.
I think we established here that it's an automated manual when we briefly tested the idea of one as a low-budget alternative to an LEC for you. Jerky on the changes doesn't sound fine to me; I can do that for myself if I want to with an un-automated manual.
 GAP insurance - mikeyb
The 508 has the awful EGC gearbox. You can get over the jerkiness once you get to know them, but its still a poor box. Its almost like its surprised wen its called upon to change gear
 GAP insurance - Skip
The lower powered 208's have the EGS gearbox which is the replacement for the EGC but is not much better and I would never have one of them. The version I have bought has a proper TC Aisin Warner box. Some of the 508 have a proper 6 speed TC gearbox (we have one).
I'd find a jerky gearbox irritating too, but my pal isn't a car nerd like us and just accepts it. He's far more interested in the three million miles to the gallon or whatever it's supposed to do.
 GAP insurance - Skip
>> I'd find a jerky gearbox irritating too

Apparently the art of driving these automated manual things is to anticipate the gear changes and lift off slightly as it changes gear, but for me that defeats the point of having an auto. I like an auto that the only way you know that it is changing gear is by the rev counter falling.
 GAP insurance - Bobby
I see the Qashqai also comes with a 1.2 petrol automatic.

A lot of car for that size of engine I would have thought though I am sure at one time we had a manual 1.2 Qashqai at work and it was fine around town.
 GAP insurance - Alastairw
Istr the Nissan 1.2 is supercharged. Should make it strong enough for a Cashcow.
 GAP insurance - NortonES2
You can get GAP insurance on the open market. The dealer mark up is considerable!
 GAP insurance - mikeyb
>> You can get GAP insurance on the open market. The dealer mark up is considerable!
>>

I was very surprised when I picked up the Lexus - The "business manager" started the pitch for GAP and I interrupted him, telling him if I wanted it I would buy elsewhere as they would be un-competitive.

Anyway, guy tells me that used to be the case, but most people were switched on now so their price was more in line with the open market so could he give me a quote. Came in at £130 for 3 years................makes your £500 look a bit steep!
Last edited by: mikeyb on Sun 12 Jun 16 at 11:18
 GAP insurance - CGNorwich
ALA will give you the same cover for £133 so looks like your Lexus dealer was about right.

£500 is very steep!
Last edited by: CGNorwich on Sun 12 Jun 16 at 11:21
 GAP insurance - Skip
>> ALA will give you the same cover for £133 so looks like your Lexus dealer
>> was about right.
>>
>> £500 is very steep!
>>

I just dug out the policy I bought for the last car and oddly enough it cost me £133.20 ! In all fairness I could probably have got the dealer down on the £499 but having spent an hour and a half negotiating on the car itself I just wanted to get out of the showroom !
When do you expect to get it Skip? Is it a dealer stock car or do they have to order it? Did I read it right on HJ that it's capable of 60+mpg from a petrol auto? If so, that's good.
 GAP insurance - Skip
>> When do you expect to get it Skip? Is it a dealer stock car or
>> do they have to order it? Did I read it right on HJ that it's
>> capable of 60+mpg from a petrol auto? If so, that's good.
>>
It is in stock at one of Peugeot UK's compounds (it has an S after it on the stock list but apparently that can mean either Sheerness or Scotland !) so it should be at the dealers in Maidstone sometime this week and hopefully I can collect it next weekend. The official MPG is over 60 but what it will actually do is another matter. My 308 diesel was supposed to do 70+ but I have averaged 55 over 36000 miles. It did manage 68 on a gentle run down to the West Country so perhaps my commute into London on the A2 is a killer for fuel consumption (as well as for me !)
Last edited by: Skip on Sun 12 Jun 16 at 13:20
Well at least you won't have to meticulously clean the alloys on the old one now.
 GAP insurance - Skip
>> Well at least you won't have to meticulously clean the alloys on the old one
>> now.
>>

True. Do you know anyone who might want to buy some smokers toothpaste ? :-) I spent 4 b***** hours cleaning that car last weekend as I had decided to pay off the PCP balloon payment and keep it for another year ! Even gave it 2 coats of Autoglym Super Resin polish and topped it off with their Extra Gloss ! I have also renewed the road tax as it runs out at the end of the month though I presume that will be refunded - all £20 of it !
 GAP insurance - Mapmaker
If you need to buy GAP insurance as you couldn't afford to make up the balance, it's questionable as to whether you can really afford to take on a new car in the first place.

Just a thought...
That's a rather old-fashioned view, MM. If Skip has the income to service the loan, he can afford the car. An early write-off is unlikely but might create a cash-flow problem, which is what the gap insurance is designed to protect against. Just understand the risk and make an informed decision on how much to pay to cover it - or whether to cover it at all.

GAP insurance - Mapmaker
>>That's a rather old-fashioned view, MM.

Buying things on the never never has always been frowned on. These days we talk about having income to service the loan, and ihas it done the country much good?
On balance, yes.
 GAP insurance - No FM2R
Goodness only knows why you got a frownie!

>>If you need to buy GAP insurance as you couldn't afford to make up the balance

If you can afford it, and you have decided to buy on finance for some other reason, why wouldn't you take this, or any other, insurance?
 GAP insurance - Auntie Lockbrakes
HJ really praises that 1.2 turbo petrol engine in the Peugeot. Sounds like a good 'un.

Is the interior of the 208 a lot smaller than the outgoing 308? Obviously not significantly enough to put you off!
 GAP insurance - Skip
>> Is the interior of the 208 a lot smaller than the outgoing 308? Obviously not
>> significantly enough to put you off!
>>

90% of the time it is just me in the car so size isn't an issue and having thought about it the back seats of my last 3 cars were never sat on.
Latest Forum Posts