Motoring Discussion > Jeep Grand Cherokee - Actor killed by his own car Miscellaneous
Thread Author: rtj70 Replies: 49

Jeep Grand Cherokee - Actor killed by his own car - rtj70
Surprised this has not been picked on here:

www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-36580731

Actor Anton Yeltsin was killed when his car (Jeep Grand Cherokee) rolled down a steep slope and pinned him against a fence.

FIAT Chrysler did have a recall for this problem. Maybe he didn't get it fixed.

Sad loss of a life at a young age due to a fault in a car.
 Jeep Grand Cherokee - Actor killed by his own car - WillDeBeest
Apparently it's not clear whether the transmission is in P. Of course, but for the ignorant American habit of not setting the parking brake, it would scarcely matter.
 Jeep Grand Cherokee - Actor killed by his own car - Dave_
>> Apparently it's not clear whether the transmission is in P

Having bought (and very quickly sold!) a WK2 Grand Cherokee I agree. The Audi Q7-like gearbox selector springs back to N after you have selected D, R or P. The main indication of the current selection is in the letters on the head of the selector lever itself, which are always illuminated but with the current selection illuminated more brightly. There is also a small D, R, N or P on the TFT instrument screen, but there is so much other information displayed that it becomes lost in the visual noise.

My other half managed to put the Jeep into R (when aiming for P) more than once. Fortunately she has the good sense to apply the parking brake and turn the engine off before exiting the driver's seat. The giveaway to her was that the Jeep's keyless ignition wouldn not allow the engine to be switched off if the transmission was in gear.

Ironically, her Captur stops the engine when you come to a halt, and will switch off the ignition (and subsequently lock the doors!) if you get out, whether it's still in Drive or not.

There are so many different combinations of car starting and gear selection procedure that an incident of this nature was almost inevitable.
 Jeep Grand Cherokee - Actor killed by his own car - Runfer D'Hills
What did you replace the Jeep with Dave?
Ah wait, I feel something coming through the ether...

Is it, wait, a Skoda Superb estate....?

;-)
 Jeep Grand Cherokee - Actor killed by his own car - Alanovich
Christ, Dave. You're worse than me.
>> Christ, Dave. You're worse than me.

I think I am, yes.

>> Ah wait, I feel something coming through the ether... Is it, wait, a Skoda Superb estate....?

Very perceptive Humph. Better than the C-class was, in every single area. More toys too.
I assume it's the current shape. What model did you get - it will be on my list next year to try out.

If I went for it I'd be happy with a 1.4 turbo petrol but it's not available with the DSG (don't think it is) and that engine is not available in higher trim levels.

It would be a lot bigger than my A3 that's for sure.

One train of thought in getting it might be the increased legroom in the back makes it easier for my father in law to get in/out. I will also take a look at the Tiguan and Ateca. But emissions will make them more costly.
It's a 13-plate facelift model, in white with 20-spoke 18" wheels. A 2.0TDI 170 DSG 4x4 Laurin & Klement, no less. The legroom in the back is comical, I'm 6ft 3in and could easily stretch out behind myself. The boot is huge and practical, not all cars can claim both. And it has many, many gadgets to make life easier; it's quicker to list what it doesn't have: paddles or a speed limiter function.

What it does have includes steering bi-xenons, self-parking, heated vented memory seats and a telly...
Last edited by: Dave_ on Wed 29 Jun 16 at 17:22
And umbrellas in the doors. Or have yours gone missing?
And an umbrella in the NSR door, yes. Still with the Skoda tag on it, and we've used it already!
Is that what Skoda fits instead of a sunroof?

( ba doom, tish...)

;-))
I wish I could claim some special powers Dave, but it's simply that I'm Scottish and we can read and assimilate facts...

;-))
 Jeep Grand Cherokee - Actor killed by his own car - Bill Payer
>> Ironically, her Captur stops the engine when you come to a halt, and will switch
>> off the ignition (and subsequently lock the doors!) if you get out, whether it's still
>> in Drive or not.
>>
Has the Captur got keyless entry?
Would anybody bother to lock one?
};---)
Makes you wonder if keyless go is a good idea. My car won't let me take the key out of the ignition if I don't put it in park (Audi DSG). With stop/start on it, I wonder what the equivalent Audi/VAG car would do if you leave the engine on and in say neutral and get out?

If stationary, if I open the door it will put the parking brake on.
 Jeep Grand Cherokee - Actor killed by his own car - Ted

The Note won't let you get the key out unless it's in P. Likewise, you can't get out of P unless the key is in the ignition.

Both useful safety features.

The Grand Vitara just doesn't care either way.
On the adverts, I notice they pronounce Captur as "capture". Now my brain, or what remains of it, wants to pronounce it "cap-tour".

Just thought I'd mention it. No need to reply.

;-)
 Jeep Grand Cherokee - Actor killed by his own car - PR
The self centre auto stick is fairly standard now in cars, particularly in Europe. My Maser has exactly the same set up. I don't find it difficult to put into park.

FCA are investigating this tragic accident but to say it was a fault with the car is a bit soon.
>> Has the Captur got keyless entry?

Yep. The only foible I can find personally is that if it was previously locked with the remote fob it will only unlock with the remote fob. As opposed to, if it was locked by walking more than 2 metres away from the car, it can then be unlocked either with the door handle buttons or the remote fob.

First world problems.
 Jeep Grand Cherokee - Actor killed by his own car - movilogo
>> The Audi Q7-like gearbox selector springs back to N after you have selected D, R or P.

What does that mean??
It means the shifter effectively has 3 positions, like a sequential gear shifter.

So you press it forward once for N, twice for R and 3 times for P. Each time the stick will return to the original position. It does not spring back to N however! The only reason it would do this is if you don't press it far or hard enough. But then there is a light (on mine anyway) that is brighter for the gear or state you have selected.
 Jeep Grand Cherokee - Actor killed by his own car - movilogo
>> So you press it forward once for N, twice for R and 3 times for P. Each time the stick will return to the original position.

What an absurd design! What is wrong with traditional PRND slots??
Nothing. But the new style ones are aimed at the computer game, joystick generation. Ting move on, man.
There's a place I have to park sometimes which has to be done inch ( actually less than that ) perfect. For years, I've got into the habit of opening the driver's door and leaning out to look back to get it spot on.

My new car puts itself into flipping "Park" if you open the door.

:-(
 Jeep Grand Cherokee - Actor killed by his own car - BiggerBadderDave
"For years, I've got into the habit of opening the driver's door and leaning out to look back to get it spot on."

I do that. Our street and driveways are done in paving blocks. When I reverse in I have to open the door and check that the tread plates and paving blocks are perfectly parallel. Or else I won't get out.
Postgrad in OCD Dave? ( like me )

;-)
>> What an absurd design! What is wrong with traditional PRND slots??
>>
I suppose same as was wrong with handrake levers!
 Jeep Grand Cherokee - Actor killed by his own car - sooty123
Sounds like a weird set up. Although I haven't driven an auto in this country in years, doesn't sound like a show stopper, but strange nevertheless.
I can see how if you were used to the old style you might not pay attention to it.

For me, this is my first auto and I don't have any issue with it...
 Jeep Grand Cherokee - Actor killed by his own car - commerdriver
pressing the stick forward to select reverse sound extremely counter intuitive to me
 Jeep Grand Cherokee - Actor killed by his own car - No FM2R
Counter intuitive it may be but that only matters when you first use it.

I'd hardly say that the varied movements required to get reverse in different manual drive cars are intuitive, but it works out just fine.
Look at the last pic on here..

www.evo.co.uk/maserati/quattroporte/5216/new-maserati-ghibli-revealed-pictures#7

Jeep Grand Cherokee - Actor killed by his own car - commerdriver
>> I'd hardly say that the varied movements required to get reverse in different manual drive
>> cars are intuitive, but it works out just fine.
>>
The difference is that on a manual car the specific movement is less relevant, it's more important that it cannot be done accidentally while in motion.

Simplest auto select used to be the DAF, forwards to go forwards, back to go back, why change from that? :-)
 Jeep Grand Cherokee - Actor killed by his own car - Ted

Prius is back to go forward and forward to go back. I'm sure some clever Toyota engineer could have designed that a bit better !
 Jeep Grand Cherokee - Actor killed by his own car - mikeyb
>>
>> Prius is back to go forward and forward to go back. I'm sure some clever
>> Toyota engineer could have designed that a bit better !
>>

My CT is the same, although its fundamentally a Prius in a posh frock.

Lever returns to center after selection, but there is a display on the dash showing your selection. No chance of leaving it in reverse by mistake - it makes a constant bong noise as soon as reverse is engaged - apparently engineered in for the US market
 Jeep Grand Cherokee - Actor killed by his own car - No FM2R
>>The difference is that on a manual car the specific movement is less relevant, it's more important that it cannot be done accidentally while in motion

Actually I now remember I had a car with an automatic box which you could manually go up and down the box by pushing or pulling the lever. That was back to front from logical, and did make the whole thing too difficult. I cant for the life of me remember what car it was though.

As for changing automatically, the computer won't let the gearbox change inappropriately.
Reviewers always complained that Volvo's shifter was back to front in manual mode. I've driven a couple of cars with that selector and never had a problem. Can't remember which way round it is, though. Presumably only matters if you alternate between cars with different set-ups.

Mostly irrelevant now that most manual selection is done with paddles.
The VAG DSG is the wrong way when you push it across into manual mode - for me at least. Forward for up and back for down - I'd want it the other way.

But I'd use the flappy paddles if I wanted to shift manually.... But I rarely have had it in manual mode - I can get slightly better MPG but it's not worth it, otherwise I'd have got a manual gearbox.
The VAG way is the intuitive one for me, but our Mazda is the other way round. Do not like. No paddles either.
As for pushing the stick forward to reverse, isn't that how most PRND autos operate? Mine certainly does.
Mine is column change. Up for reverse, down for forward, push in for park. I don't think I'm ever going to like it, but I am getting used to it. Makes me feel like Uncle Buck.
>> Makes me feel like Uncle Buck.
>>
Needs some planks across the front seats to complete the effect!

Had a column selector E Class as a courtesy car a few months ago and came extremely close to stuffing it into the wall that I park against at home. I was attempting to reverse out while being in Drive. And that was with being careful due to unfamiliarity. :rolleyes:
I just keep repeating "back up, drive down" to myself over and over again, because looking would be cheating and unmanly...

;-)
 Jeep Grand Cherokee - Actor killed by his own car - mikeyb
>> I just keep repeating "back up, drive down" to myself over and over again, because
>> looking would be cheating and unmanly...
>>
>> ;-)
>>

I've had a few Merc's on hire with the column change. Usually take me a few seconds to figure its column change then a bit longer to figure out what I'm doing. I'm sure if its you every day driver you get used to it quickly, but I didn't find it very intuitive
Never driven a RHD car with column shift, i think it'd take a bit of getting used to. Although if it's LHD or RHD i think they do free up a lot of space up front.
I'd prefer a proper gear lever. I can live with the column shift but I don't like it.
I quite like them in a pickup truck, window down, elbow on the door.

Dash mounted autos are weird, never really got used to them, ever tried one? Neither fish nor fowl.
No, Ive not seen a dash mounted one, what sort of vehicle was that?
American MPVs, town and country etc. Get them quite a lot as a hire car.
Latest Forum Posts