Motoring Discussion > Fuel consumption obsession. Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Old Navy Replies: 24

Fuel consumption obsession. - Old Navy
Why are some people so obsessed with fuel consumption ?

If they can't afford the fuel to run the car, why buy it, I am sure they check the insurance cost, servicing, etc. A common rail diesel of 2 litres or less is about as good as it gets for fuel consumption, so why bother about the odd few drips of fuel per mile one way or the other. I work on "ballpark OK" figures, which will indicate a problem. Is there any need for more accuracy than that ?

A seven litre petrol V8 would be nice, but I know I could not afford the fuel for a daily driver.
 Fuel consumption obsession. - Redviper
I Complain that my Gas Bill for this Quarter is around £80.

I dont complain that I put £60 worth of fuel into my car every two weeks or so

Funny that.
 Fuel consumption obsession. - a900ss
It depends upon if you are paying for it or not AND the mileage you do.

I'm doing circa 40k miles a year, it used to be higher. I no longer pay for my fuel so it's just a passing interest whilst driving down the roads.

However when I was paying and claiming business mileage back, the difference between a 40MPG car and a 50MPG car is over a grand a year. That's worth comparing bearing in mind I don't pay for any other motoring costs (Insurance, depreciation, etc) as company car. That grand is my money, not the companies.....

For the typical driver, I agree what difference does it make in the big scheme of things.
 Fuel consumption obsession. - Fenlander
Having spent 2yrs at 32mpg now my present car is around 50mpg I don't care much if it is 48 or 55. Don't bother to look for cheapest fuel either... just pull in to first station after warning chime sounds.

Still can't not be interested to see a really good figure on a run sometimes though.
 Fuel consumption obsession. - tyro
"Why are some people so obsessed with fuel consumption ? "

OK, I admit it. I have an obsession with calculating my fuel consumption every time I fill up the car. Seems harmless enough to me. We are all entitled to be obsessed with something. Why are some people so obsessed with a groups of grown men who kick a ball around a field?

In my case, it has nothing to do with money. I choose to fill up at my local pumps when I know it is going to be 10 or 15p cheaper per litre in Inverness.
Last edited by: tyro on Tue 3 Aug 10 at 16:23
I must admit I used the cars computed figure, (it's a KIA, it's accurate), for the weekend jaunt just to give Zero some ammunition in another thread. :-)
Last edited by: Old Navy on Tue 3 Aug 10 at 16:35
 Fuel consumption obsession. - RattleandSmoke
I am a bit obsessed with figures but only because my engine is running in. As longs as my fuel bills are less than £40 a month I am happy.

I am sure ten years ago the obsession was with 0-60 times. It is a sign of the times that MPG is now the most important factor for some people.

MPG is an issue for me, but as I do low milleages costs of servicing etc is more important than a few MPG.

I am currently getting about 41mpg for the city driving which I think is quite good, my old Corsa got 30mpg.
 Fuel consumption obsession. - movilogo
* fuel costs money
* Unusual high fuel consumption usually means something wrong. So it is worth checking the consumption figures frequently.
* It's a measure of efficiency.
* It re-asserts your choice of car. If you bought a car assuming it would do 50 MPG and then does only 35 MPG, it was not a good decision then.
* If you don't check fuel consumption figure, you are unlikely to check your gas/electricity consumption, credit card statements, other spending limits etc.

Fuel consumption obsession. - Zero
The Lancer does somewhere in the range 38-41mpg depending on driving, My only interest in its consumption is so I know how far I can get before a fillup.
 Fuel consumption obsession. - Stuu
Between my wife and I, we are likely to spend upwards of £100k on petrol for the rest of our working lives, more if the price is driven up way beyond inflation, so Id consider taking a passing interest in such a sum of money just plain financial responsibility.

Not everyone earns a high wage but they still have to run a car and if you can knock money off your fuel bills by either driving differently or making a smart car choice, it does help.
Ill save maybe £500 this year over 10k by more careful driving. Id quite like that £500 myself. Thats why it matters to me, especially as I watch what I spend on food, utilities and any other variable spending I can affect, would be silly ignore the spend on petrol.
 Fuel consumption obsession. - DP
I have never been less bored on the commute since getting a car with a fuel computer.

My target is to have 60.0 mpg minimum as a trip average on the display when I pull up at the end of the journey. Currently running at about a 1 in 3 success rate. Not that 60 mpg saves me much against the 55 or so I'd get without trying, but it passes the journey nicely.
Last edited by: DP on Tue 3 Aug 10 at 18:05
 Fuel consumption obsession. - Skoda
#2 on movilogo's list is the main reason for me, heads up in case something's wrong.

Mileage Litres Cost Fuel Price Per Litre Miles MPG
20 47.12 59.80 Shell Vpower 1.27
370 50.10 63.58 Shell Vpower 1.27 350 33.80
711 47.61 60.42 Shell Vpower 1.27 341 30.97
1075 50.50 64.08 Shell Vpower 1.27 364 34.79
1432 16.16 20.18 Shell Vpower 1.25 357 32.17
1534 46.58 57.25 Shell Vpower 1.23 102 28.72
1901 51.34 62.58 Shell Vpower 1.22 367 35.85
2248 50.73 62.35 Shell Vpower 1.23 347 30.75
2565 44.14 53.81 Shell Vpower 1.22 317 28.43
2958 50.05 61.01 Shell Vpower 1.22 393 40.51
3275 45.97 55.58 Shell Vpower 1.21 317 28.82
3595 44.69 54.03 Shell Vpower 1.21 320 31.67
3957 49.77 60.17 Shell Vpower 1.21 362 36.86

Litres Per Gallon: 4.55

Max MPG: 40.51
Min MPG: 28.43
Avg MPG: 32.78
Max Miles / Tank: 393
Total Spend: £734.84
Cost Per Mile: £0.19

First car that gets cheaper every time i fill it up. Drive with a heavy right foot (would be rude not too...)

EDIT: Wow, that came out big, Mods, what did i do wrong? Feel free to delete if it's screwing up the flow of the thread
Last edited by: CraigP on Tue 3 Aug 10 at 18:14
>> mileage 3957
>> Max MPG: 40.51
>> Min MPG: 28.43
>> Avg MPG: 32.78
>> Max Miles / Tank: 393
>> Total Spend: £734.84
>> Cost Per Mile: £0.19

your cost per mile does not compute.
>> your cost per mile does not compute.

Aye it does, total spend (734.84) / mileage (3957) = 18.5p rounded up to the nearest penny.
3957 x 19p = £751.83
>> 3957 x 19p = £751.83

All those half pennies saved pay for my chewing gum
thats a lot of jaw ache.
 Fuel consumption obsession. - idle_chatterer
ON, if you're a company car driver and your employer is mandated to utilise HMRC mileage rates then it can matter an awful lot.

For example, during 2008 I ran an A4 170PD, Audi claimed it could average 48mpg IIRC, it struggled to do 38mpg. Wouldn't be a problem if HMRC didn't instruct companies to pay a sub 2.0l mileage rate equivalent to an average of over 50mpg - compounded by it being reviewed at 6 monthly or yearly intervals by which time fuel prices had risen by over 30%. Net of it was that I was subsidising my business mileage by about 1/5th, OK if you do a few hundred miles but at 20K miles pa it hurts and (IMHO) wasn't fair.

Now I have a 3.0l diesel, it does more than 45mpg average and being arbitrarily 'over' 2l the HMRC mileage rate means I make an untaxed profit.... equally unfair I'd agree. Also - every car I've ever had (except the Audi) I've matched or beaten the claimed average MPG.

So it can matter to some people and I think cars badged as 2.0l diesels (but usually 199x cc) are actually the riskiest proposition for company motorists as HMRC brackets them with 1.4L diesels IIRC.
Last edited by: idle_chatterer on Tue 3 Aug 10 at 18:12
 Fuel consumption obsession. - Mike Hannon
Rattle, why don't you give the Panda a blat up and down the motorway - that engine will be old technology before you've finished running it in! ;-))

My XJS is the only one of its type I've seen without a computer - all I have is a gently sinking needle. Much more reassuring.
 Fuel consumption obsession. - Bigtee
Im quite sure many on here and other forums over exagerate there cars fuel economy like " ho i get 60 miles to gallon" when it's more like 40, And plenty think the same if he can get mine will do it and so on.

Steady driving like your gran, inflated tyres and a good service will help but Knickers to it just drive the thing and enjoy it or take the bus.!
>> Knickers to it just drive the thing and enjoy it or take the bus.!
>>

Seconded !!
>> ON, if you're a company car driver and your employer is mandated to utilise HMRC
>> mileage rates then it can matter an awful lot.

And who leases the car for you, pays for the tyres, servicing, and insurance, and most of the fuel, you are breaking my heart. :-)
Last edited by: Old Navy on Tue 3 Aug 10 at 18:25
yeah stop bleating, you dont have to take the company car.
 Fuel consumption obsession. - idle_chatterer
>> yeah stop bleating, you dont have to take the company car.
>>

Didn't think it was bleating - just pointing out that ON's contention that fuel economy doesn't matter doesn't attract my (and perhaps others) wholehearted support... As for company cars, I won't have a car at all after next month as I'll be on assignment abroad, time to get used to a completely different life-style.

I actually fully agree with comments on understanding the cost of running a car, I have both opted out and in to my company car scheme at different times and consider those who try to skimp on tyres, servicing etc as menaces....
>> consider those who try to skimp on tyres, servicing etc as menaces....

There's few things more disheartening than a nice big engined 5 series wearing nankang ditch finders.
Latest Forum Posts