Motoring Discussion > New style number plates? Miscellaneous
Thread Author: PR Replies: 21

New style number plates? - PR
Following the Brexit vote will people with the EU style GB number plates need to change them?

I'm guessing they will eventually?
 New style number plates? - Bromptonaut
No need, any more than people with national flags or footy logos need to. Just another item on the list of squillions of things that need to change as we disengage.

We will probably need GB stickers when we travel abroad though.
Last edited by: Bromptonaut on Sat 25 Jun 16 at 09:57
 New style number plates? - tyrednemotional
...to be further replaced by ENG stickers at a slightly later date........
 New style number plates? - Runfer D'Hills
>> ...to be further replaced by ENG stickers at a slightly later date........

Rearrange " body, dead, over and my"...

;-)
...well, you could resolve two issues at once, and move back to jockland.......

To quote Dick Tuck "The people have spoken, the b******s".
 New style number plates? - Runfer D'Hills
Your initial statement had not escaped me...

All options being considered.
 New style number plates? - Harleyman
They weren't mandatory in the first place, you could still have a plain number plate with a "GB" sticker.

Despite being in the "Remain" camp I didn't particularly care for the EU symbol on number plates, being of the opinion that one should be able to display ones national flag, as many, including me, did.
 New style number plates? - Slidingpillar
Indeed, a UK car should display, if wanted, a national flag. (I have no beef with Cornwall, Wales and Scotland, all of which could be seen.
 New style number plates? - Ian (Cape Town)
>> Indeed, a UK car should display, if wanted, a national flag. (I have no beef
>> with Cornwall, Wales and Scotland, all of which could be seen.
>>
Unless it is one of those clip-on-the-window miniflags, as seen during most major sporting events.
Pykie Tat.
 New style number plates? - No FM2R
>>All options being considered.

Quite.
 New style number plates? - Old Navy
The dealer I bought my car from puts a Scottish flag with SCO plates on all their cars. I really don't care enough to get them changed. All cars registered in Scotland have registrations starting with "S" with the second letter indicating the area alphabetically from south to north. Mine last two cars have had "SK" plates, one of the Edinburgh registrations. I have also had "SL" and "SO" plates, also Edinburgh.
 New style number plates? - stan10
Given the enormity of this referendum, i am genuinely stunned at the triviality of this discussion.

Trying to give credence to the OP, my honest answer to the question is - "NO" (why should it ?)

Also wondering why the OP didn't respond to the excellent post by R.P. ("Keep it simple.") ?
 New style number plates? - rtj70
>> Also wondering why the OP didn't respond to the excellent post by R.P. ("Keep it simple.") ?

Which post by RP?
This one,

"In or out ? Keep it simple. - R.P."

I think that it is relevant that our opinions and comments are related to our "in" or "out" stance,

just wondered what PR,s stance is.
 New style number plates? - rtj70
But he's not posted in this thread.
Maybe he will.
 New style number plates? - WillDeBeest
RP's thread was about the politics, Stan. We're supposed to be avoiding that here.

PR is not RP reversing in, but it has been a tough day for some of us.
};---)
Point taken, so back to my answer to the original question = "no", not immediately, but will fade away in the fullness of time.

Like the Welsh dragon, the Scottish saltire, the Shamrock, and the Cross of St. George, the EU style plates will just indicate an affinity, but will not affect either the political, or the motoring situation.

(IMO of course !) :-)
 New style number plates? - Tigger
My vote is for raised silver lettering on a black background.

Actually, scrub that - given the number of cars around with defective rear lights, the reflective number plate is sometimes the first thing I see.
...my vote would be for black letters on a black background.....

.....in memoriam....

;-)
 New style number plates? - PR
It was just a thought I had following the referendum. Not the only thought but the only motoring thought!

New style number plates? - Cliff Pope
>>Not the only thought but
>> the only motoring thought!
>>

Mine was that now perhaps classic cars won't be banned from cities after all.

People who drive older cars have a longer time-span exposure to the consequences of EU membership, so it's undemocratic that their vote doesn't count more than people who drive newer cars. :)
Latest Forum Posts