Motoring Discussion > Referendum impact on motoring Legal Questions
Thread Author: movilogo Replies: 46

Referendum impact on motoring - movilogo
How the referendum will impact motoring in UK?

Please discuss from motoring perspective only not politics
 Referendum impact on motoring - CGNorwich
Why have you taken it upon yourself to start organising us with folders without any content.? The post referendum one was pointless too

Don't understand the anger.

This is a motoring forum and mostly we post lately on politics and things other than motoring.

So I thought it would be nice to go back to pure motoring.

If mods don't like it they can move/merge topics and I never argued with moderators.

Referendum impact on motoring - Armel Coussine
Motoring isn't 'pure' movilogo. It costs money, so is economic, which means, er, political.
 Referendum impact on motoring - Bromptonaut
It's also difficult to see this thread getting beyond 15 posts without the politics creeping back in.

I'd give it as long as the first mention of BMW or Mercedes :-)
 Referendum impact on motoring - VxFan
Happy to let this thread be separate from the one in Non Motoring Discussion - providing as movilogo has requested:-

"Please discuss from motoring perspective only not politics"

If however, it becomes too much of a chore to moderate it, then it'll get locked.
Last edited by: VxFan on Sat 25 Jun 16 at 17:14
 Referendum impact on motoring - Cliff Pope
I'm tired of the referendum impact on X Y Z and how the referendum will affect Uncle Tom Cobley and all.

Now even motoring seems to be being dragged into it.
Car4play - geddit?
 Referendum impact on motoring - Dulwich Estate II
OK then,

I'll try and start properly. I can't offhand think of any benefits an EU exit can give the motorist.

Sur le continent:

One day soon I'll be needing a GB sticker instead of my EU number plates on the car.

We'll be limited to the amount of cheaper booze we can bring back in a car boot. It might not be so cheap either.

European motoring and car recovery insurance might cost more because of 'paperwork' hassles.

At home:

A lower pound probably means dearer fuel.

A lower pound probably means dearer imported cars
You might need a 'green card' to prove your insurance. And more hoop jumping with carnets etc if you have a caravan/motor caravan or something that might be a commercial vehicle.

And if night stopping completion of a "fiche d'etrangere" might be required.
 Referendum impact on motoring - WillDeBeest
Incidental to motoring but likely to be required after an accident: the EHIC may no longer be available.
 Referendum impact on motoring - zippy
Cars to become more expensive as EU dealers won't need to let us specify a RHD model to buy at a cheaper price and import it.

Perhaps the ability to service cars at independent garages will also go, if you want to keep the warranty.
 Referendum impact on motoring - Rudedog
This is what I was explaining to my son that Dover and Calais are going to behave quite differently and could mark the end of the cheap/quick day trip to France at some point.

I've often missed my ferry coming home after being stuck at the UK checks in Calais, now I guess these will move over to us?

All this is coming right at the point I was going to buy a new car, I remember all the campaigning that went on to balance the cost of UK cars against the same specced Euro car, will that now go back to how it was?
 Referendum impact on motoring - riddler
Will we see the return of importing RHD cars from places such as the Republic of Ireland, Cyprus etc ?
www.whatcar.com/news/brexit---what-does-the-eu-referendum-result-mean-for-motorists/
 Referendum impact on motoring - Old Navy
Some car dealers already import cars from RHD countries, there is small print at the bottom of their car descriptions, "Import, may not be UK specification".
Last edited by: Old Navy on Sun 26 Jun 16 at 08:11
 Referendum impact on motoring - Ian (Cape Town)
Well, you'll have to start buying British cars.
Like Rovers, MGs, etc Oh, wait....
Hadn't Wilson and Edward Teath not sold the UK motoring (and aviation) industry down the river in the 60s and 70s, well, who knows what might have happened.

Referendum impact on motoring - R.P.
Oh well, no dodgy white Europlates, no bi-annual MOTs - no need to be Euro6 compliant, no need to stick to punitive emission rules forced on us in big cities. No pan-European agreement about speeding enforcement, no ditching of miles over Kms...not forced to go LHD
 Referendum impact on motoring - rtj70
>> no need to be Euro6 compliant,

But for the car to be sold in the EU as well means it needs to comply to Euro VI regulations. So anything we import from the EU will be Euro VI. Anything we make an export will also have the be Euro VI.
I think Rob needs to use his wand to show the irony switches :-)
Most were TIC I know but we're stuck with Euro VI.
 Referendum impact on motoring - Old Navy
Can we return to imperial weights and measures? :-)
Last edited by: Old Navy on Sun 26 Jun 16 at 20:31
Some of us never left them. 500g of Bananas has not got the same ring as a pound...! MPG measures....how daft is that when fuel is sold in litres..??
 Referendum impact on motoring - Fullchat
Strange how car tyres are a mixture of imperial and metric measurements.
>> Some of us never left them. 500g of Bananas has not got the same ring
>> as a pound...! MPG measures....how daft is that when fuel is sold in litres..??

Do the Euro shaped ones come out in exact numbers of grammes?

Bananas are bough by the bunch. Are theremore or less bananas in a Euro bunch?
Can you see food manufacturers making special 1lb containers for the UK when they still have to make 400g ones for EU countries?

Maybe the answer is yes; coffee beans in France are sold in 250g bags, whereas here we still get only 227g - 8oz. Doubt it though; most under-50s have grown up with modern units and see furlongs and fortnights as historical curiosities.

Of course, most under-50s didn't vote Leave either.
Last edited by: WillDeBeest on Sun 26 Jun 16 at 22:00
My mother voted stay and she was 80 today.
My mother too, RTJ. Nearly 82.
My dad did as well - he's older. Said the out camp were potty.
A quick check of a supermarket site reveals that whilst most coffee is sold in 227 g packets some is sold in 250g and some is sold in 200g. More a desire to make price comparison difficult than a refusal to accept the metric system I believe.
 Referendum impact on motoring - riddler
Interesting point in the Sunday Times regarding requirement to have the GB sticker, warning triangle, hi viz jacket & breathalysers when driving in Europe warning drivers to be fully compliant with the rules etc as the law enforcement agencies are less likely to overlook minor infringements than before for UK registered vehicles
Just for fun, I'm going to do what I should have done when I bought it and ask my MB dealer for a pair of EU-GB plates for the LEC.
 Referendum impact on motoring - VxFan
>> A quick check of a supermarket site reveals that whilst most coffee is sold

Can we keep it motoring related please, as per the request at the start of this thread. Use the other thread if you want to discuss food items and their weights.
Sorry, VF, my fault. I should have picked an engineering example - bolts, say - to illustrate the point that international standards and markets overwhelmingly work in metric and that we'd be fools to go back to a system nobody else understands.

Now, time to make coffee.
};---)
Do you think that free coffee will still be available at main dealers such as Mercedes, BMW, Ford, AUDI etc ? Likely to increase drastically in price as traded in US Dollars.

Coffee is also a vital beverage for car mechanics. Any increase in prices will have a knock on effect and increase the overall costs.
Quite so, CGN. Also remember that much of the machinery that makes and serves the coffee is designed and built in Italy or Germany and comes here on beneficial terms thanks to the Single Market.
 Referendum impact on motoring - No FM2R
I am only surprised that Movilogo didn't include "Please explain" at the end of his original post.
www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3661255/Carry-trading-beg-German-car-bosses-Manufacturers-demand-Britain-allowed-continue-trading-EU-without-barriers.html

Is this supposed to support your halfwitted 'they need us more than we need them' thesis, Movi?

Can't be elbowed to read it, just wondering.
>> Is this supposed to support your halfwitted 'they need us more than we need them'
>> thesis, Movi?

Glanced at it. It's exactly that message.

Do Movi, Westpig et al still think this chaos a price worth paying?
Yes, but as the answer would be political discussion I shall elaborate in non-motoring section.
For many German cars there are long waiting times. So they can probably sell most of what comes to the UK to other countries instead. China is a fast growing market.

I think we need them more than they need us.

Nissan-Renault will probably move future production of Nissan/Infinity cars to the EU when the models need updating. Plenty of factories already in the EU (Renault) with their cars sharing platforms already. Maybe they will ask Mercedes to assemble the Infinity Q30 for them using their spare capacity when the UK can no longer afford their cars - it's based on the MB A-Class after all.

Over the next few years, the UK car industry is about to go downhill. The Nissan employees in Sunderland who voted to leave the EU deserve what might happen - i.e. lose their jobs because that's what they voted for. Similar to the steel workers in Port Talbot voting to leave meaning the TATA steelworks will now definitely shut and put them out of work.
 Referendum impact on motoring - Manatee
I thought the name calling had died down.

If true, does very clearly support the thesis, half-witted or not.
 Referendum impact on motoring - Runfer D'Hills
VAG have an under utilised plant in Dresden. It's where they have been making the Phaeton. Which of course is very similar to the Bentley Continental...
Runfer they already assemble lots of the Bentley Continentals in Germany. I thought you'd know that.

The bodies of the cars are actually made in Germany anyway and are delivered overnight to Crewe. Any other parts needed to assemble the cars are also delivered there. The cars are then 'assembled' in Crewe. The fine craftmanship for the veneers and leather of course comes from Crewe (the machinists doing the leather used to make suits for Austin Reed).

But you see the lorries do not return empty. All the bits manufactured or assembled in Crewe (so seats, engines, etc.) are loaded onto the now empty lorries and taken back to Germany to assemble Continentals there. Of course none of those German built Bentley's get to be sold in the UK.

Bentley's site in Crewe does not have the facilities to make the chassis or bodies. It's not big enough for starters. They do paint them there though (I think).

How do I know all this - worked there for a few weeks on some IT projects and got the grand tour. The rolling road was interesting where they test them flat out! And the 'rain shop' where they check them for being water tight.
Last edited by: rtj70 on Mon 27 Jun 16 at 13:59
 Referendum impact on motoring - Runfer D'Hills
Yes, I did know all that. What is being speculated about over the garden fences in these parts is what might happen if VAG decides at some point that it's just too hard to continue having a manufacturing plant in the UK at all...

Thought you'd know - others probably didn't. And that means people already buy German assembled Bentleys. So moving most of the manufacturing and assembly to Germany would be easy and probably side-steps a lot of the problems of not being in the EU.

Bentley in Crewe would then be reduced to design, engineering and making the crafty bits like the wood veneers and leather bits (seats, steering wheels, inserts, etc.)

A non-UK buyer of a Bentley probably won't care. The future Exp 10 concept when it becomes a real car will probably never be made in Crewe now.
I've decided unless it's hideously expensive to do so, my next car will definitely be an EU import :-) It probably would anyway unless I got say a Mazda. Maybe a nice German VAG car (A3 or A4 or Passat).
Latest Forum Posts