Motoring Discussion > How designs change.... Miscellaneous
Thread Author: rtj70 Replies: 20

How designs change.... - rtj70
I have had cars that were just cars. I've chosen a couple I liked at the time and my opinion evolved. And then glad for a change!

But some cars in the past I have to admit I liked:

- Rover 800 - I thought the booted version was better than the Fastback! Dear me that's embarrassing.
- Ford Scorpio saloon - I was young and didn't drive is an only defence.

There's more but admitting those two is enough for end of June.
 How designs change.... - legacylad
I still think the Triumph Spitfire I owned in my early twenties looks nice. The Mk 1 Elise even more so.
The vast majority of my ex cars look simply pig ugly now. Yukkity yuk in fact.
 How designs change.... - bathtub tom
>> I still think the Triumph Spitfire I owned in my early twenties looks nice.

Improved with a hard top and a two-litre, six cylinder lump under the bonnet. Pity about the weak gearbox and diff.
 How designs change.... - RattleandSmoke
I always thought when the Astra G came out it was horribly bland and boring. I actually went to a launch at my local VX dealer and wasn't impressed. Almost 20 years later out of the late 90's designs the Astra G is one of the most modern and fresh looking. Still no excuse for that horribly bland dashboard though!
Last edited by: RattleandSmoke on Thu 30 Jun 16 at 23:35
 How designs change.... - rtj70
Thankfully I avoided one. But had to endure two Vectors. Only argued to take on someone else 2.0 Vectra GLS because it had traction control. To this day I have no idea how a 1.8LS Vectra could spin it's wheel in the damp! It had not traction at all.

I think for it's time my first car a 1980 Fiesta would still look okay. I still like the look of the Passat I had in 2000 - some might not.

I went off the Passat CC a bit. Zero hated it I know.

My next car? I'd have another Audi A3. Who knows. About 10 months before I can decide. Or BREXIT scuppers it and I get another Fiesta.
 How designs change.... - legacylad
Nothing wrong with a Fiesta ST, apart from a lack of 5 doors, although I wouldn't want one as a motorway mile muncher.
 How designs change.... - Robin O'Reliant
Mk1 Cavaliers still cut it in the looks department, as do Rover SDIs and even the P6, in a rather quaint sort of way.
 How designs change.... - nice but dim
The original Audi A4 is far better looking and shape than todays designs and much nicer IMO that the current crop of Audis.

The '99 refresh was even better.
 How designs change.... - No FM2R
Agree on the Rover SD1. Also MK3 Cortinas.
 How designs change.... - Armel Coussine
None of them are just cars to me. I've owned some frightful wrecks in my time but never seen one that didn't have aesthetic, and technical, points in its favour.

Obviously harsh, practical and dismissive is the way one should be. But I'm soppy, or corrupt, or something. It's a sort of illness.
I take your point and mostly agree.

However, I once owned an orange Talbot Alpine with orange velour interior. It truly had NO redeeming featurs, technical or aesthetic.
 How designs change.... - tyrednemotional
>>It truly had NO redeeming features, technical or aesthetic.
>>

(..except that it wasn't an Austin Allegro......)
I had a burgundy one of those. True, horrible. But it was surpassed by the Alpine, never mind the orange velour.
 How designs change.... - Harleyman
>> (..except that it wasn't an Austin Allegro......)
>>

The gearchange was, if anythng, worse. My late father bought a Horizon as his first new car in 1982; hideous thing,utter rotbox, the only good thing I could say about it was that the seats were comfortable.

Mind you, he went into the local dealership (which happened to be the one closest to our home) and told the salesman he wanted a red five-door hatchback. That was it; nothing more. I suppose you could say he got what he deserved. After that he went back to Fords, and stuck with them till he died.
Last edited by: Harleyman on Sat 2 Jul 16 at 00:03
 How designs change.... - riddler
My father also bought a red Horizon in 1982. It was an absolute pile of dfdfgfd. It was in the dealers for most of the 2 years he owned it. I remember going to the Motor Show at the NEC that year and seeing that there was a customer service representative on the Talbot stand I went up to him and in a very loud voice mentioned a few of the problems we were having with the car. You should have seen how the stand cleared of visitors.
He received a letter asking him to contact the dealers to resolve the problems with the car needless to say they were useless and it was part exed for a Volvo
Last edited by: VxFan on Sun 3 Jul 16 at 19:12
 How designs change.... - Cliff Pope
>> None of them are just cars to me. I've owned some frightful wrecks in my
>> time but never seen one that didn't have aesthetic, and technical, points in its favour.

I agree absolutely. If it's not, in my estimation, an aesthetically appealing classic, then I don't want it.
That rules out about 99.9% of all cars ever made, and I suspect, any car yet to be made.

Any car will get you from A to B, so that's an irrelevant consideration.
 How designs change.... - Robin O'Reliant
>>Also MK3 Cortinas.
>>

Oh God, noooooooooooooo!
All perfectly serviceable motors.

You cats have a serious attitude problem. You're sicker than I am in your way.
>>Oh God, noooooooooooooo!

Heresy.

I wish I still had it, I loved it. Plastic seats 'n' all
 How designs change.... - spamcan61
My 3 litre Carlton Estate for its double decker glovebox and low end torque.

Cavalier Mk 3 hatch for styling, still my favourite everyday car in that respect.
I always like the one I've got. Most of them have radical faults and that's a big part of the fun.

Can't think of one that I abandoned without a pang.
Latest Forum Posts