Motoring Discussion > Mayor's diesel vehicles' pollution charge threat.. Green Issues
Thread Author: Stuartli Replies: 26

Mayor's diesel vehicles' pollution charge threat.. - Stuartli
Some 15 years on from Gordon Brown's hugely encouraging support for diesel power use for cars, vans and lorries, new London Mayor Sadiq Khan may turn it on its head:

tinyurl.com/hplqsyt - links to the Daily Mail

But what about buses?
Last edited by: VxFan on Wed 6 Jul 16 at 10:23
 Mayor's diesel vehicles' pollution charge threat.. - VxFan
>> But what about buses?

www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-36712220

Operate the cleanest buses in the dirtiest parts of London by creating "clean bus corridors"
 Mayor's diesel vehicles' pollution charge threat.. - Robin O'Reliant
I would not buy a diesel now in anticipation of heavy penalties being introduced on fuel and VED.
 Mayor's diesel vehicles' pollution charge threat.. - Bill Payer
>> I would not buy a diesel now in anticipation of heavy penalties being introduced on
>> fuel and VED.
>>
Me neither - well, certainly not a new one. Never mind the penalties, the emissions stuff on them to get them through EU6 is horrendous.
 Mayor's diesel vehicles' pollution charge threat.. - Mapmaker
Rot, Stuartli. Only cars that don't comply with Euro IV. So only cars older than 11 years - and even some of those will comply. We're talking about a tiny number of cars here.
 Mayor's diesel vehicles' pollution charge threat.. - Bill Payer
>> Rot, Stuartli. Only cars that don't comply with Euro IV. So only cars older than
>> 11 years - and even some of those will comply. We're talking about a tiny
>> number of cars here.
>>
My EU3 Mercedes doesn't pollute much - it doesn't move from one week to the next. Soon I won't be able take it anywhere anyway.
 Mayor's diesel vehicles' pollution charge threat.. - Fursty Ferret
I assume he'll also be cracking down on the vast number of 5-10 year old minicabs which have had their DPFs removed or electronically bypassed?
>> Rot, Stuartli. Only cars that don't comply with Euro IV. So only cars older than 11 years - and even some of those will comply. We're talking about a tiny number of cars here.>>

Before typing your first two words, perhaps you initially missed the point about many motorists buying diesel cars as a result of a Labour Minister's encouragement and which is now being challenged by another Labour individual (albeit a much later arrival) after such purchasers' original support for the policy?

I don't live in London, but am aware of the long standing congestion charge. I have always owned petrol-engined cars because, firstly, I've always been aware of the potential serious pollution problems from oil burners and, secondly, due to the fact I prefer the instant response and rev range of such engines.

But if I had bought a diesel car, lived in the capital and was now facing such a congestion charge possibility, I would feel very cheated. Not that that isn't already often the case with those in the Labour party...:-) :-)
 Mayor's diesel vehicles' pollution charge threat.. - sajid
the only recourse to the proporsed charge is to sue the govt for misleading deisel buyers
 Mayor's diesel vehicles' pollution charge threat.. - Boxsterboy
Very few 'normal' Londoners drive in the (pretty small) current Congestion Charge area. The cars in the zone are generally newer and are more often than not minicabs. Certainly very few old diesels are seen.

But the suggestion that the borders be extended to the North & South Circular Roads will have a much bigger impact on 'normal' Londoners.
 Mayor's diesel vehicles' pollution charge threat.. - Old Navy
If they use the current LEZ (where the enforcement cameras are fitted) it spreads way beyond the circular roads.

tfl.gov.uk/maps/low-emission-zone
Last edited by: Old Navy on Wed 6 Jul 16 at 16:55
 Mayor's diesel vehicles' pollution charge threat.. - commerdriver
>> If they use the current LEZ (where the enforcement cameras are fitted) it spreads way
>> beyond the circular roads.
>>
The "newspaper" report does say the intention is to use the congestion charge zone.
I don't know how far out the London mayor has any authority
>> The "newspaper" report does say the intention is to use the congestion charge zone.
>> I don't know how far out the London mayor has any authority
>>

The mayor may not have the authority but he could chat up TFL who obviously do and they run the LEZ.
 Mayor's diesel vehicles' pollution charge threat.. - Bromptonaut
>> Before typing your first two words, perhaps you initially missed the point about many motorists
>> buying diesel cars as a result of a Labour Minister's encouragement and which is now
>> being challenged by another Labour individual (albeit a much later arrival)

Do you seriously think there is a political angle her?

These policies are lead by science over two different threats to the environment and would be same whoever had been in Westminster/City Hall on dates in question.
>>These policies are lead by science over two different threats to the environment and would be same whoever had been in Westminster/City Hall on dates in question.>>

If Brown's diesel tax breaks had been, for example, in the form of wrongly sold financial products, then those affected would be able to sue.

Seems there is no difference to me. Buyers or potential buyers of the second most expensive purchase most people acquire were wrongly advised.

tinyurl.com/lxrzthm
>> These policies are lead by science over two different threats to the environment and would
>> be same whoever had been in Westminster/City Hall on dates in question.
>>

And the scientific results depend on who is funding the research.
 Mayor's diesel vehicles' pollution charge threat.. - Mapmaker
>>But if I had bought a diesel car, lived in the capital and was now facing such a congestion
>>charge possibility, I would feel very cheated.

Fifteen years later. How many people who bought new diesel cars in the early noughties still have them? 1%? 0.1%? 0.001%?
 Mayor's diesel vehicles' pollution charge threat.. - WillDeBeest
That's quite a noun stack. Yes, there are two apostrophes (one of them wrong) but you're only one word short of the famous
England-Scotland match team captain selection difficulty.

You weren't a headline writer in days gone by, were you? Bid, probe, mercy dash, that sort of thing.
>>You weren't a headline writer in days gone by, were you? Bid, probe, mercy dash, that sort of thing. >>

Yes, sub-editing was part of my brief over the years.

Both apostrophes are correct - one is singular, the second plural - unless someone can conclusively prove me wrong...:-)

But don't all rush at once..:-)
Last edited by: Stuartli on Wed 6 Jul 16 at 17:26
 Mayor's diesel vehicles' pollution charge threat.. - Cliff Pope

>>
>> Both apostrophes are correct - one is singular, the second plural - unless someone can
>> conclusively prove me wrong...:-)

I don't think the second one is neccessary.
In headline-speak "diesel vehicle pollution charge threat" is not possessive in the singular so is not in the plural either.
"Diesel vehicle pollution" is adjectival, not possessive.
 Mayor's diesel vehicle owners pollution charge thr - WillDeBeest
Yes. The threat of a charge is to the diesel vehicles, not by or of them, as the apostrophe would suggest.

Of course, the charge wouldn't really be to the vehicles but to their owners, so I've amended and extended your stack accordingly.
};---)
Last edited by: WillDeBeest on Wed 6 Jul 16 at 18:15
 Mayor's diesel vehicle owners pollution charge thr - Rudedog
I heard this on LBC and someone who lives right on the boundary of a London bough and Kent I'm worried.

Previous Major's have influenced the way our streets look even though I'm way outside London and just inside the M25, we had to have all of our small bus stops once setup for single decker hop-on/off buses (once an hour timetable) changed to be able to take the full length bendy buses, it was a nightmare. We have the LETZ signs everywhere at the start of each side road.

My car is after 2005 which I heard was a cut-off year so I might be ok.
 Mayor's diesel vehicle owners pollution charge thr - Stuartli
>>Yes. The threat of a charge is to the diesel vehicles, not by or of them, as the apostrophe would suggest. >>

Thank you for the amendment, but in fact any charge would be borne by the owners rather than the vehicles...:-)

The original apostrophe related to the pollution issued by the vehicles.
>>"Diesel vehicle pollution" is adjectival, not possessive.<>>

it still only refers to one vehicle. If it was only one, we wouldn't be debating the issue...:-)

PS

It's still massively preferable to "should of", "would of" and all the other variations produced from "would have" etc by so many these days thanks to being ignorant of "''ve" for "have"...:-)
Last edited by: Stuartli on Thu 7 Jul 16 at 00:29
 Mayor's diesel vehicles' pollution charge threat.. - Fursty Ferret
The salient advice my mum- uh, my English teacher, gave me is that if you're ever in doubt about using an apostrophe, don't use it. Seems to work.
 Mayor's diesel vehicles' pollution charge threat.. - Avant
Sorry, FF - it doesn't always. It's a sort of British characteristic - if you're worried that something you write may be wrong, just leave it out altogether.

The following is much more interesting without the apostrophe, but one would hope not exactly what was intended:

Our Christmas turkey hadn't arrived, so we ate one of our friends.
 Mayor's diesel vehicles' pollution charge threat.. - Shiny
Jisya or jisyah?.
Latest Forum Posts