Motoring Discussion > Volvo satnav updates now free Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Crankcase Replies: 9

Volvo satnav updates now free - Crankcase
If anyone is a Volvo driver, or knows one, and hasn't picked this one up, then for certain recent models (and that includes my 2011 S60) you can now take the car to the dealer for a one off software update and then download the latest map and update in-car yourself via USB for nowt. Also, it will apparently remain nowt until "at least 2025", so effectively free map updates for life.

You do have to pay a one-off for the software update, at about £55 to £75 depending on dealer.

As previously you had to purchase map update DVDs at about a million pounds each, twice a year, and fanny about with special codes, this is a stonking good thing from Volvo.

support.volvocars.com/uk/downloads/Pages/downloads-systems.aspx?cstype=map
Last edited by: Crankcase on Mon 18 Jul 16 at 15:03
 Volvo satnav updates now free - WillDeBeest
I'm not currently a Volvista, Cranks, but it's entirely possible I'll become one again, so this is useful information.

Good to see you back in action too.
Ta. Been on leave, but thought I'd remain. Now of course, we have to beg leave to remain, whereas before we only had to beg leave to remain.

Volvo satnav updates now free - mikeyb
Useful info. Hopefully this might encourage others to follow......
 Volvo satnav updates now free - VxFan
Does this mean we can no longer tell Volvo drivers to get lost ;)
 Volvo satnav updates now free - Tigger
Kia do it for free in mainland Europe, but the UK distributor declared Brexit some time ago.

I've just booked mine in (needs to be installed by the dealer for some reason) - its a whole £25. Not the end of the world, but free would be better!
Last edited by: Tigger on Tue 19 Jul 16 at 12:04
Just booked mine in for the software update - £67.32 inc vat. Thereafter free maps, though you do have to spend all eternity downloading 22GB of data of course, at whatever cost that might be to you.

Thought I'd plump for it, though I still like and use the iPhone TomTom (not the new horrible iPhone TomTom Mobile), for which you get free maps twice a year anyway.

Last edited by: Crankcase on Tue 19 Jul 16 at 12:26
 Volvo satnav updates now free - Shiny
Good for VOLVO.
Audi, VW, BMW & Mercedes should do something similar now they own Here (formerly Navteq) who supply their maps.
 Volvo satnav updates now free - PeterS
Updates were free for the years on the Merc, no sure about after that. On our Audi e-tron updates also appear to be free through Audi Connect. Download to an SD card and then upload into the car.
 Volvo satnav updates now free - Stuartli
>>Audi, VW, BMW & Mercedes should do something similar now they own Here (formerly Navteq) who supply their maps.>>

My best mate's Skoda Octavia, just over two years old, came with three years' free annual satnav updates.

During a recent decision to eventually change to a Ford Mondeo, he discovered the satnav updates are £130 every two years....
Latest Forum Posts