Motoring Discussion > Road Trip. Miscellaneous
Thread Author: R.P. Replies: 7

Road Trip. - R.P.
12 day trip out in the camper. Random following of the weather like last year but we had a date in Hull. Van was loaded with effects and the dogs and off we trotted in the rain, planning to stay on Caravan Club Certified Sites. These sites are generally privately owned and have a maximum of 5 campers or caravans on site at anyone time. They can be quite basic - a field and little else or can have a proper toilet block and showers. I prefer these as I have an aversion to ablutions on board so to speak. One site in the borders actually had an en-suite pub so that was good. The plan was to visit places either I or we hadn't been to - we weren't disappointed, finding some lovely places on the east-coast, at least two of which have been ear-marked for further trips (Filey and Warkworth in particular) - we were meeting up with an ex-colleague north of Hull whom I hadn't seen for over 15 years. The only organised site we stayed on was Sand Le Mere near Tunstall...all life was there...really.

We covered a 1000 miles along reasonable roads, some in dire need of repair, some glorious ones ( The A7 though the border country and Shap Fell in the lakes being two that need a re-visit as well as the Cat and Fiddle near Buxton, our run home today was from Crosby via Liverpool. Bad driving ? Only example of note was coming in to Whitby with some idiot overtaking on a bike. Organ donor to be sadly. The van returned around 27mpg. Came home to a fried BT Hub (storm on Sunday night I think)...ready for my own bed tonight..

Road Trip. - tyrednemotional
....don't tell too many people about Filey.....

;-)
 Road Trip. - Dog
www.yorkshire.com/places/yorkshire-coast/filey

:}
.....just don't........
 Road Trip. - legacylad
My first holidays were at Filey. Several of them, aged between 4 &7. Parents had a PO so myself, brother & mother went to a flat for a week each year, then progressed to Morecambe until early teens when we finally went en famille to Jersey. I think I was 13yo before my Dad ever came on holiday with us.
Quite strange to think that I now fly away to stay with friends in CA at the drop of a hat, yet 45 years ago Jersey seemed like the other side of the world and the whole family were excited for months beforehand.
...Filey is one of those places which, though it has developed somewhat, is still firmly rooted in the 50's/60's when I also spent a fair bit of my holiday time there.

It is still familiar enough to evoke memories of hanging around in Corrigan's amusement arcade (with the Coastguard's daughter) laughing at the mechanics heating pennies up on the end of soldering irons, and dropping them on the floor for unsuspecting kids to pick up. Fishing from The Brigg and out on one of the cobles.

Happy days.

About the only downside nowadays is that there is a dearth of decent pubs in the town.
 Road Trip. - Duncan
>> About the only downside nowadays is that there is a dearth of decent pubs in
>> the town.
>>

Quite right.

One has to travel to Scarborough to find the nearest Wetherspoons. Good food and well kept beer at popular prices.
 Road Trip. - Dog
I'm looking!!!

www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-60376820.html
Latest Forum Posts