Motoring Discussion > Citroen C4 Picasso 5-st - Citroën C4 Picasso. Auto Buying / Selling
Thread Author: Roger. Replies: 28

Citroen C4 Picasso 5-st - Citroën C4 Picasso. Auto - Roger.
Due to a possible change in transport needs, we are considering a larger car than our Jazz CVT.
A C4 Picasso would fit the bill, but must be the automatic version.
There seems to be many divided opinions about the reliability of the auto box and it'its operation.
Does anyone have first hand knowledge of this car in either petrol or diesel barstools_ auto only?
 Citroen C4 Picasso 5-st - Citroën C4 Picasso. Auto - sherlock47
I had a a Grand Picasso on loan for a day. Auto, diesel with a proper torque convertor. Perceived by many as a nicer drive than the smaller engined version with the automated manual.

However I have no issues with the automated manual, (on the Berlingo XTR), but a lot of people with no mechanical empathy cannot drive them without continuous jerky changes.
 Citroen C4 Picasso 5-st - Citro�«n C4 Picasso. Auto - sherlock47
I was told at the time taht it was a 2L TC auto, however I cannot find this model on current Citroen site. Maybe it was only a short production run?
 Citroen C4 Picasso 5-st - Citro���«n C4 Picasso. Auto - sherlock47
It all becomes clear - courtesy of Wikipedia!

Initially the C4 Picasso models featured Citroën's new 6-speed automated manual gearbox, called "Efficient Tronic Gearbox 6-speed" (ETG6). It allows the driver to switch, at any time, between manual and automatic modes.[18] Some reviews have been critical of the ETG6 gearbox: Auto Trader's review called it "jerky" and slow to react to a gear change,[7] while CitroenOwnersClub.co.uk called it "poor".[4]

In late 2015, with the introduction of the BlueHDi engine range, Citroën replaced the ETG6 transmission with an an Aisin-sourced 6-speed torque converter automatic transmission, known as EAT6.[19]

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Citro%C3%ABn_C4_Picasso
 Citroen C4 Picasso 5-st - C4 Picasso. Auto - sooty123
Not fancy staying with something Japanese? How come you decided on a c4, what's a barstool auto?
 Citroen C4 Picasso 5-st - C4 Picasso. Auto - Roger.
>> Not fancy staying with something Japanese? How come you decided on a c4, what's a
>> barstool auto?
>>
Posted with my smartphone with predictive text!
How small the text in the posting box is - it's really difficult to check input!
 Citroen C4 Picasso 5-st - Citroën C4 Picasso. Auto - Dog
www.honestjohn.co.uk/carbycar/citroen/c4-picasso-2007/?section=good

:-(
 Citroen C4 Picasso 5-st - Citro�«n C4 Picasso. Auto - Boxsterboy
I briefly had a Mk1 C4 Grand Picasso 2.0 HDI EGS Exclusive. I could just about live with the gearbox, even though it was somewhat worse than a TC auto, but what killed it for me (or rather my back) was the drivers seat which gave me chronic backache.
 Citroen C4 Picasso 5-st - Citro���«n C4 Picasso. Auto - John Boy
I knew someone who had one. I was really impressed by how smooth the gearchanges were when he took me on a trip in it. Not long afterwards, however, the gearbox failed completely and he had to spend a lot of money fixing it before he could sell the car. The mileage was short of 50K.
 Citroen C4 Picasso 5-st - Citroën C4 Picasso. Auto - RichardW
My Dad's got a 2011 1.6 HDi EGS he's had since new, about 50k now. No problems with the EGS, and he finds it OK.

My mate bought a 2.0 HDI about 6 months ago (2008 version with 120k) and it lunched the gearbox after about a 1000 miles. Has cost ££££ to get a replacement box and clutch fitted, it was still not right last time I spoke to him, he was looking at changing the box actuator .

We've got a 1.6 HDi manual 7st. It's had a few 1.6 HDi related issues, but everything non engine still works at 95k / 8 years old - we'll definitely be having another when this one finally dies.

I have drive an EGS briefly, and it is a bit 'odd' but you would get used to it (probably) - my Dad certainly doesn't complain about his. I think you can get a TC auto in the 2.0 petrol version - not sure if you are talking about a new one or not though - they are pushing the small turbo engines now, but I would imagine all are EGS. You can only try one and see.
 Citroen C4 Picasso 5-st - Citro�«n C4 Picasso. Auto - sherlock47
As I posted above!

In late 2015, with the introduction of the BlueHDi engine range, Citroën replaced the ETG6 transmission with an an Aisin-sourced 6-speed torque converter automatic transmission, known as EAT6.[19]

another source is worth reading......
www.cactusforums.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=187
 Citroen C4 Picasso 5-st - Citro���«n C4 Picasso. Auto - Roger.
I was drooling a bit over this one!

www.mbcarsales.co.uk/used-CITROEN-C4%20PICASSO-Sheffield-South-Yorkshire-900393

VED is a lot.
 Citroen C4 Picasso 5-st - Citro������«n - Manatee
Nothing nasty in the MOT history. It's only done 3,000 miles in the last year.
 Citroen C4 Picasso 5-st - CitroÃƒï¿½Ã¯Â¿Â½ÃƒÂ¯Ã‚Â¿Ã‚Â½Ãƒï¿½Ã‚Â¯Ãƒï¿½Ã‚Â¿Ãƒï¿ - Roger.
It has a tow bar though :-(
(Or maybe it's been in a garage waiting spare pats !)
Last edited by: Roger. on Mon 25 Jul 16 at 22:41
 Citroen C4 Picasso 5-st - Citroën c4 - sooty123
Yeah you might want to take that off, you wouldn't want anyone to think you're a shed dragger

;)
 Citroen C4 Picasso 5-st - CitroÃƒï¿½Ã¯Â¿Â½ÃƒÂ¯Ã‚Â¿Ã‚Â½Ãƒï¿½Ã‚Â¯Ãƒï¿½Ã‚Â¿Ãƒï¿ - RichardW
It's an EGS though I think....
 Citroen C4 Picasso 5-st - CitroÃƒï¿½Ã¯Â¿Â½ÃƒÂ¯Ã‚Â¿Ã‚Â½Ãƒï¿½Ã‚Â¯Ãƒï¿½Ã‚Â¿Ãƒï¿ - spamcan61
>> It's an EGS though I think....
>>

Reckon so. Run away, fast.
 Citroen C4 Picasso 5-st - Citroen C4 Picasso, Auto - Roger.
Yep - too many horror stories, I think. Shame, they look nice.
Perhaps I should stick with Japanese reliability as a big repair bill would be crippling to our limited resources.
Hmm - Japanese auto MPV, diesel - maybe, for economy? Limited budget - used directly imported from Japan? Snags?

Last edited by: Roger. on Tue 26 Jul 16 at 20:28
 Citroen C4 Picasso 5-st - Citroen C4 Picasso, Auto - sooty123
I think the fuel question is best answered with how many miles do you intend to do?
Mazda 5 or honda frv any good for you roger?
 Citroen C4 Picasso 5-st - Citroen C4 Picasso, Auto - CGNorwich
Why do you need to change Roger?

You are on a tight budget and have a reliable small car which is quite flexible as far as load space is concerned. Unless there are overwhelming reasons to change I would stay with the Jazz

We live about 60 miles from the school which both our grandchildren attend. Our daughter and S.I.L. currently live in Suffolk - a three and a half hour trip from us, so we act as a way-station and sometimes taxi service, for collecting the children an half term, occasional weekends , half-terms and end of term. Additionally, our daughter works in education and her school holidays are (a) much shorter and (b) don't always gel with the children's. For example, we have just spent three weeks up and down to Suffolk each week to cover such a difference.

A move to a very much more difficult location is on for SIL , plus of course, our daughter, so to continue the grandparently services it is possible that we will travel much longer distances. (Have you any idea how much stuff children "need" at school, by the time you include all the electronics? :-)

A different car is a complete no-no for financial reasons and our normal motoring needs, but I'm looking at options at this stage. We want to help our family while we are still fit enough to do so!

If you need more space, buy a small trailer. You can buy them without too much worrying (less difference between than cars) easy to resell. You can pick them up second hand plus you get to keep your current car.
 Citroen C4 Picasso 5-st - Citroen C4 Picasso, Auto - Gromit
Or, if a trailer doesn't suit, would a roofbox or carrybox (that mounts on the ball of a towbar like a rear-mounted bike carrier) work?

This Thule thingy is what I have in mind for the carrybox...might be easier to put on and off than lifting a roofbox into place:

www.car-roofracks.co.uk/cycle-bike-racks/tow-bar/thule-easybase.htm

For a roofbox, something like the Thule hoists that go on your garage roof (if you have one) to raise and lower the box off the car when you're not using it might work best, provided you can comfortably get yourself up to working height to tighten the fittings inside the box that secure it onto the roof rails.

I find the job of securing the roofbox is trickier on my FRV than the Legacy, both because the Honda is taller, and the box is further away from me given the FRV is a six-seater. But a Jazz should be OK if you use a sturdy short stepladder like I do when attaching the box to the Legacy.
Some good ideas there - thanks!
Decision made (influenced by SWMBO, naturally!) Jazz is to be kept until it dies.
Halford's major service and MOT booked. Will likely need new pads, as at the last MOT & service, 12 months ago, Halford's pointed out that they were getting a bit thin: a £300 or so, bill in total is anticipated.
I might consider new tyres too, as I don't know how long the existing Continentals have been on. Good tread left, but I'm thinking of unseen age related wear.
Any 2016 tyre recommendations for low cabin noise and ride comfort?
Last edited by: Roger. on Wed 27 Jul 16 at 18:21
What are you going to be doing about the lack of space in the current car?
Put up with it!
To be fair, +95% of the time it's just us pootling locally.
If we have to cart the grandchildren + luggage, we will see how they manage with luggage on knees!
I've just checked the likely journey and from here its 115 miles and from school just over 100.
Both are cross Pennines so not a quick trip.
Last edited by: Roger. on Wed 27 Jul 16 at 19:53
 Citroen C4 Picasso 5-st - Citroen C4 Picasso, Auto - Dutchie
The C4 Grand Picasso has no reliability problems Roger.Mine was the 8 valve Engine 1.6 Diesel.

Brother in Law is on his second Picasso semi auto box.I have driven the car no problems.

Ours is the new Picasso 6 speed manual this engine is a bit more powerfull 16 valve engine.

Plenty of room for wheelchair and luggage.Our granddaughter is happy in the car.
Latest Forum Posts