Motoring Discussion > When did you last read the Highway Code? Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Crankcase Replies: 13

When did you last read the Highway Code? - Crankcase
As a little extra present for my last birthday, Mrs C got me a copy of the current Highway Code. I've just read it. Now skip to the last sentence.

I wasn't arrogant enough to assume I'd know everything in it - indeed I was looking for anything that may have changed since I last looked at it, a very long time ago.

Apart from some bizarre stuff about a "theory test", whatever that might be, the only bit that I noticed that seemed much different was to do with failed traffic lights. In my day I'm pretty sure that it said that if a traffic light was stuck on red, you officially had to wait for an authorised person such as a policeman on point duty to wave you through. Now it says "proceed with extreme caution as if it were an unsigned junction", or words to that effect.

I jokingly said that I bet it wouldn't have the arm signals in it you use in a traffic queue to show a policeman on point duty you want to go straight on, or whatever, but amazingly, it does still have those, complete with a nice picture of a policewoman in hi-viz.

Not, I suppose, that "point duty" still exists. I expect it's "a moving forward pro-active methodology for dissipation of vehicular hazard situations" or something, and when the police talk about it they use that incredibly annoying present tense, as in "a car has gone into a field, bounced off of a haybale and has set on fire". The kind of phrase with so much wrong with it that I grate my teeth about such things on a daily basis, having a shallow and empty little life.

So, anyway, are you up to date with your HC?

When did you last read the Highway Code? - CGNorwich
A curious choice of present. Was there a reason? Were any items underlined by Mrs C.

:-)
 When did you last read the Highway Code? - Old Navy
I usually have a look at the online version after I come across a sign I don't recognise or situation I am not sure about. There is also a "see all updates" function on the website.
Just checked our hard copy, it is a 1999 edition. Mrs OS comment, "I am surprised it is not a 70s edition".
 When did you last read the Highway Code? - Manatee
The last time I think was relatively recent, a year or so, in a bid to resolve an argument with the boss about what I call "aspirational signalling"; the habit some people have of getting in their parked car and putting the indicator on either before looking in the mirror or regardless of what they see in it.

It should go without saying that I lost the argument. It's better that way.
 When did you last read the Highway Code? - Slidingpillar
Last time I read it was years ago. Probably ought to again as since the advent of speed and red light cameras, the emphasis on enforcement has moved to rigid enforcement and not the safety at the time.

Very, very few folk remember the left turn hand signal. And on a run primarily for old bikes (three wheeler Morgans are honorary bikes) I was the only one who gave any hand signals.
 When did you last read the Highway Code? - devonite
From behind, the "Left Turn" and "Slowing down/stopping" hand signals can look almost identical. I was once a passenger in a following car and that nearly went head-on with a car coming in the opposite direction, my driver thought she was being waved past when the Land-Rover driver in front stuck his arm out to signal Left!
 When did you last read the Highway Code? - Cliff Pope
>> if a traffic light was
>> stuck on red, you officially had to wait for an authorised person such as a
>> policeman on point duty to wave you through. Now it says "proceed with extreme caution

The problem is often how long do you have to give it before you can reasonably conclude that it has got stuck?
On my journey to work there is a seemingly permanent set of temporary lights covering a section that must be several hundred yards long. When working the sequence seems to take for ever, but on many early mornings the lights are stuck on red in both directions, waiting for the early workmen to re-set them.
How long to wait? Supposing they hadn't failed, merely taking 5 minutes to change - is honestly and reasonably thinking they had failed a good defence of jumping a red light?

Anyone remember the "I am ready to be overtaken" hand signal? It was a sort of low sweeping action, different from both the left turn and the slowing down signal.
Even these new fangled electric indicator users are a dying breed, indicator use is decreasing by week.
Last edited by: Old Sundodger on Tue 26 Jul 16 at 13:49
 When did you last read the Highway Code? - Avant
There used to be a splendid hand signal which dropped out of fashion in the 1950s - arm out, forearm vertical, meaning 'I am going to STOP'.

Unlike the slowing-down signal, which as Devonite says could be confused with left turn, this was unambiguous.

It would be good to see it back, if people would only open their windows: there seems to be, more than ever, a great deal of stopping suddenly without warning, which often causes an accident. Such accidents are only partly the fault of the driver following too close behind.
Last edited by: Avant on Tue 26 Jul 16 at 17:04
 When did you last read the Highway Code? - sooty123
It would be good to see it back, if people would only open their windows:> there seems to be, more than ever, a great deal of stopping suddenly without warning, which often causes an accident. Such accidents are only partly the fault of the driver> following too close behind.
>>

I don't think you'll find many people who need to stop suddenly, will find time to stick their arm out of the window.

;)
 When did you last read the Highway Code? - Ian (Cape Town)
>> It would be good to see it back, if people would only open their windows:
>> there seems to be, more than ever, a great deal of stopping suddenly without warning,
>> which often causes an accident. Such accidents are only partly the fault of the driver
>> following too close behind.
>>
How many cyclists know the rules of handsignals?
Maybe if a few more did, there'd be less car v cycle incidents?
And, if motorists saw these signals daily, would respond when other motorists make them?
 When did you last read the Highway Code? - spamcan61
Haven't read it since I passed my test in 1985.
 When did you last read the Highway Code? - Robin O'Reliant
I used it every working day for two decades when I was pointing something or other out to pupils. I haven't opened a copy now for fourteen years.
Latest Forum Posts