Motoring Discussion > Ford Focus III - Cambelt change price. Place your bets Accessories and Parts
Thread Author: legacylad Replies: 25

Ford Focus III - Cambelt change price. Place your bets - legacylad
I have now owned the 2011 1.6 Focus diseasal a few months, and shall probably be keeping it a few more months. At 137k miles I think it should have a belt change, if only for peace of mind, although my mechanic pal disagrees. He is going to do the job where he works this Saturday ... I never ask for a quote, trust him implicitly to do whatever needs doing.
He looked after my previous 330 for 6 years, so don't foresee a problem with the current car. So how much for a belt change, tensioner, water pump and general up on the ramps and a good, thorough once over without any additional work?
I hope around £250 tops.
Virtual pint to the nearest estimate
 Ford Focus III - Cambelt change price. Place your bets - rtj70
£275

My A3 is booked in for it's first service in September. I asked what courtesy car I might get and they said they can't say until the day before.... could be an A1, TT, A6, etc.
Last edited by: rtj70 on Tue 26 Jul 16 at 22:41
 Ford Focus III - Cambelt change price. Place your bets - Auntie Lockbrakes
Cambelt cost: 310 quid!
I don't get a courtesy car... Take it in 8AM Saturday then catch a bus and loiter in the 'big city' until I get a call to say it's ready to collect.
 Ford Focus III - Cambelt change price. Place your bets - tyrednemotional
>>.... then catch a bus.....
>>

...which could be a double-decker, a single-decker,......... oooh the anticipation ;-)
Red, blue, green, grey?
Plus the excitement of seeing hundreds of people in one day in t' big city
How long is the service? For my Audi I was told 2 hours.

I could actually walk home and back again within 40 minutes total... I'm just hoping for something new to try for free. Shame the new Q2 isn't out yet. An A3 e-tron would be nice but unlikely.
 Ford Focus III - Cambelt change price. Place your bets - bathtub tom
Fifty quid for a disisesal (sic).

£230 my guesstimate?
 Ford Focus III - Cambelt change price. Place your bets - No FM2R
£203

(A specific amount chosen for no good reason)
Last edited by: No FM2R on Tue 26 Jul 16 at 23:59
>> (A specific amount chosen for no good reason)

Snap. So was mine. Sorry Legacylad.
 Ford Focus III - Cambelt change price. Place your bets - madf
£315 - other work needed.
 Ford Focus III - Cambelt change price. Place your bets - PeterS
3 hours labour at £60 an hour. £50 for the belt and tensioner. Is it like a VAG car where they recommend changing the water pump as well? If so another £50. Plus vat. £326
I think the kits, belt, tensioner & water pump, are circa £80 from Eurocarparts and their ilk. I don't know where my mechanic pal sources it from, nor do I know his hourly rate ( I've chosen not to ask over the previous 7 years). I pay him cash and in return he gives me a box with the old parts! No free coffee or bourbons.
A rear number plate light is loose so needs sorting ( better not glue it back in position myself) and the SatNav doesn't work, but given that I only paid £2k that's ok, I have a large AA road map and a tongue in my head. And a clonk a few seconds after changing up into second gear.
Hopefully no other remedial work.
 Ford Focus III - Cambelt change price. Place your bets - smokie
£180 for cash and no additional work
 Ford Focus III - Cambelt change price. Place your bets - Robin O'Reliant
£261.73

There's always pence...
It always ends in a zero... £80, £100, or shock horror it was once £470, the only large bill in 6.5 years on the 330. That was for a major service, all filters ( fuel, oil, pollen) 6 plugs and a set of discs and pads.
£300 straight
About £50 more than I expected to be honest, but I never ask for a quote. I did ask him about the variance in parts prices from Eurocarparts, and as he has been a mechanic for 30 odd years he told me there were both good & bad manufacturers of parts. I think he used Dayco, & KWP for the water pump. Also repaired a loose number plate light and gave the Focus a good check over whilst up on the ramps. Wonder how much an Indie or main dealer would have charged?
The last MOT highlighted a leaking rear shocker and if I still have the car next Spring will replace it at the same time at the annual oil change and MOT ( he is chief MOT tester at the motor engineers). I left the coolant filler cap off last night as advised, checked it this am, and it doesn't need topping up. Next job is 4 new tyres... Will contact Black Circles tomorrow and order the Michelin X Climates ( I know Costco had a deal but they are miles away.. Thanks to whoever brought it to my attention). The current Chinese ditchfinders are awful.. I have had wheel spin exiting roundabouts in the wet recently, only 109 horses, although my right foot was on the floor! And despite driving it like I stole it ( where permissible!) I cannot get below 56mpg on my last two tankfuls brim to brim. With 4 new tyres total cost to date will have been £2590, plus £30 annual VED so I'm sort of happy. It's growing on me!
I said £315.

Can I have my prize please...cheque or bank transfer..
 Ford Focus III - Cambelt change price. Place your bets - Clk Sec
>> Can I have my prize please...cheque or bank transfer..
>>

What!! For a virtual pint...
 Ford Focus III - Cambelt change price. Place your bets - Robin O'Reliant
>> I said £315.
>>
>> Can I have my prize please...cheque or bank transfer..
>>

Prize?

No, no, the nearest to it has to pay the balance between his estimate and the actual bill. I'm sure legacylad will be happy with a cheque...
 Ford Focus III - Cambelt change price. Place your bets - tyrednemotional
...you can choose between the virtual pint and the car - both about the same value.... ;-)
 Ford Focus III - Cambelt change price. Place your bets - Auntie Lockbrakes
I said 310 quid further up the thread, madf, but I am keeping quiet!!
>> I said 310 quid further up the thread, madf, but I am keeping quiet!!
>>

Tough. I have spent my winnings already..:-)
I shall buy the virtual pints for the winners this evening..starter will be Kirkby Lonsdale Brewery 'Tiffin Gold' and the main course Gooseye Brewery 'Chinook'.. A very hoppy pale beer. Both £2.90 a pint.
 Ford Focus III - Cambelt change price. Place your bets - Manatee
I remember going to the Turkey at Goose Eye in the 70s. Them were t'days. It wasn't the cleanest pub I ever went in, in those days.

I assume that early brewpub was the precursor to the Goose Eye Brewery which I see is at Ingrow not far away.
I spent Millenium night in the Turkey. At the time I was renting nearby. An abiding memory is dancing on the tables at 5am, not bad for a middle aged bloke!
A group of us were in there one Sunday lunchtime late June this year. For birthdays we normally hire a 20 seater charabanc and go 'on tour' for the afternoon. This was a joint 50th & 60th and the Turkey was our second port of call after the Wuthering Heights in Stanbury... ( we decided to miss the Friendly in Stanbury) near Haworth. Both very welcoming, clean establishments with proper beer!
In my youth, living in Bradford, we used to tour such places every Thursday night. The nominated driver was not allowed to drink more than 6 pints.
Latest Forum Posts