Motoring Discussion > BMW - Tomorrow's the Day Miscellaneous
Thread Author: tyrednemotional Replies: 26

BMW - Tomorrow's the Day - tyrednemotional
So, tomorrow is the day I pick up my new BMW X1.

It replaces a Kia Sportage which has been an "interesting" car to run for four years.

It isn't entirely unloved, but neither has it entirely endeared itself. It didn't get off to a good start, with a noticeable steering pull to the left, which the dealer's workshop foreman acknowledged, but was struggling to do anything about until web research indicated that it was a common problem that could be resolved by setting the (electric) steering parameters to "Australia" (Yes, that's correct!) giving an immediate resolution. It has had the accelerator pedal and a door mirror replaced; likewise a front coil spring (which failed whilst parked up at home). It has also had numerous (I've genuinely lost count) replacement diamond-cut alloy wheels, all for corrosion under the lacquer - another common problem. All of this done unquestioningly under warranty. Its fuel consumption has been pretty average for a 2 litre (albeit 4WD) diesel, floating around the 40mpg mark overall, and the exterior paint finish is a bit "soft", rendering it prone to stone-chips and fine scratches.

On the other hand, it is comfortable with, for me, a good driving position, and reasonably well-equipped; the interior has worn well and it has (so far) been cheap to service (though the next one, which I am avoiding in changing, would have been pretty steep). The original tyres on all four corners have quite a bit of wear left, despite having 27,000 miles under their belt. Depreciation has been somewhat better than I might have expected as well.

The replacement requirement was for something similar (certainly no bigger) and research repeatedly brought us back to the BMW X1, despite looking at a plethora of alternatives. It is the correct size and specification, and has considerably more space inside than many of its competitors (it not being a "proper" BMW, being built on the same FWD platform as the Mini - which gives a lot of scope for interior space and is a big improvement over the previous model X1). As a model they are certainly in demand; as we are roughly equidistant between 4 BMW dealers, and every one has managed to sell demonstrators in the short period after we had looked at them but before a test drive!

Anyway, we managed a decent drive in a 20d Automatic (automatic ownership will be a first for me, though I've driven a good few), where (cf recent discussions), the auto start-stop and electronic parking brake were entirely "invisible" in use. The experience was good. I was strongly considering a 20i (petrol) however, (BIK no longer being a consideration), which are as rare as hen's teeth, and the chance of a test-drive very low. So....I took a chance and plumped for the petrol; undriven.

It is (in round terms) £1000 cheaper than the equivalent diesel model, (paying for quite a bit of the extra fuel likely to be used at my mileage) and only comes with the (same 8-speed) auto. Power output is equivalent to the diesel, though, of course, max torque is lower (though it does come in at lower revs!). I'm hoping the auto-box will compensate in giving a "lazy" drive.

Factory order times are 10 to 12 weeks, so I set the dealer a challenge of finding me an existing car within certain parameters. I've ended up with one in a very acceptable colour, with the essential options pack that includes cruise control, a spacesaver spare wheel (apparently also as rare as hen's teeth as the boot prep is done at the factory - debarring dealer-fit) and a few extra options that I wouldn't necessarily have specified, but I'm paying very little for. (and none of which I would turn my nose up at). Delivery will have been a smidgin' over 3 weeks from order.

Allowing for a "book" p-ex value for the Sportage (rather than the inflated value used to calculate the price-to-change) the deal indicates the discount is going to be around 6% against a car spec'ed to my original requirement (excluding the additional extras which book at around £1100 and are essentially "thrown in") so not a bad deal, looking at Broker discounts.

Overall, not a bad experience; the dealer's coffee is pretty good as well ;-)

The downsides are the usual attempted hard "upsell" of additional insurance policies (including one of GAP insurance at £499, followed up by eMail ostensibly from the dealer but, if the headers were followed through, came from "Insureandgo" who offer a similar policy direct for £199). They also wanted balance payment 3 days in advance, turning down payment by Debit Card on the day. Like I was going to agree to that!. After some discussion and delay with the business manager, Debit Card on the day it is.

So, excited about tomorrow, and a further review to come.
 BMW - Tomorrow's the Day - Avant
It'll be interesting to hear how you get on with the X1. A petrol one like yours was high on my shortlist, and is probably a better car overall than my V60; but not £150 a month more, which is the difference in the quotes I got. At least at the time I was looking (Jan and Feb this year) there were hardly any discounts on the X1, as it was a new model, and BMW weren't dealing with the brokers.

I managed to get a test-drive in a petrol 2-series Active Tourer (same engine) and it felt no less torquey than the diesel.

Hope you enjoy it.

BMW - Tomorrow's the Day - rtj70
Enjoy the new car :-)

Maybe I should have an X1 on my next list of possible cars.
>> I managed to get a test-drive in a petrol 2-series Active Tourer (same engine) and
>> it felt no less torquey than the diesel.
>>
...on paper, it's only about 10% down on the current Sportage for roughly the equivalent kerb weight, so it should be OK. Interestingly, the CO2 emissions are lower as well, meaning a drop in VED.

If I can get mpg close to the researched "real-life" figures, say 36+mpg, I'll be content. I'm usually towards the top of such figures. The last petrol car I ran was a V70, a company car taken when they were switching the diesel engine range, and there was a hiatus in supply. I did OK with that (and very much liked the car). A 10mpg deficit on the diesel still gives me roughly par costs over 4 years, and by all accounts, the petrol gets closer to its official figures than the diesel.

Quite a few low-mileage runs nowadays in amongst the long ones has aided the decision to go petrol.

TBH, though the FWD-derived platform marks it out as a different type of car, I can see the X1 threatening the X3, as it makes much more efficient use of the footprint.

I've just never seen myself as a BMW driver, though. :-(
 BMW - Tomorrow's the Day - Auntie Lockbrakes
Interesting insight to living with the Sportage, thanks. It would have been number 3 on our shortlist early last year behind 1) Outlander (purchased), 2) RAV4.

Guess Kia had a bad batch of alloy wheels for a period?

40-odd mpg ain't that bad really for a chunky SUV. The Outlander gets about the same (2.2 turbodiesel auto). You should get high 30s or more with the petrol X1 I would expect?

Our 2011 X3 20d auto was a lot more fuel efficient than the Outlander. But a lot less reliable in several other areas... :-( Has put me off BMW forever.

The new-shape Sportage is selling like hot cakes here in NZ. Reminds me a bit of a Cayenne from certain angles. Will be near the top of my shortlist next time around...
>> Guess Kia had a bad batch of alloy wheels for a period?
>>

The diamond-cut alloys on the KX3 were prone throughout the sales life of the car, not just a batch.

From the KIA forums, they must have replaced literally thousands (though they soon moved to refurbished rather than new replacements).

Conversations with the service staff at the dealer lead me to believe that KIA UK have "sold the risk" to the current refurbisher.

(I think I've had 7 replaced - they won't last a Winter, and nary a scrape on them).

The current wheels are different.
 BMW - Tomorrow's the Day - legacylad
Hope the handover goes smoothly for you, and it meets your expectations.
And it doesn't rain!
I've just had a look on Motorpoint website, where every X1, of which there are 9, is a diesel. As you say, the petrols are rare as hens teeth, and probably more reliable if keeping for an extended period.
I'm still looking for that 328 Touring. Only wished it had the great looks of the Leon ST
What colour is yours?
 BMW - Tomorrow's the Day - rtj70
I had a look on the BMW site yesterday. Slightly surprised that the petrol engine X1 is only available as a 4WD with plenty of the diesels also available as FWD. Bear in mind most people don't need 4WD, the emissions are higher and this is based on the same platform as used in the Mini and BMW 2-series Active Tourer.

So based on that there's aren't going to be many 4WD 2.0 petrol X1's.
Last edited by: rtj70 on Fri 29 Jul 16 at 14:33
I didn't realise that rtj. 4WD is no use to me...I appreciate the plus points of additional traction, and I really liked my previous Legacy estates ( the last one was R reg bought off a friend for £2k) but I'm happy with 2WD and decent tyres.
Seems like just something else to go wrong and reduced mpg
And why do so many, including 328 Tourings, have these 19'' rims? 18'' is the max I would have on any future vehicle. Which reduces my options even more!
 BMW - Tomorrow's the Day - movilogo
Congrats on your new car.

>> solved by setting the (electric) steering parameters to "Australia"

Where do you exactly set this??

I had a plan to upgrade to Sportage (from my Ceed) but the new Sportage looks hideous!
...one of the settings in the "body computer" or whatever Kia call their version. It alters the setting of the electric power steering, (I understand that electric power steering is often slightly biased to cope with road camber in the intended market, and Australia must have been the best setting for the UK, or at least, better than whatever the default was!).
...Jeez.......so many settings.

It'll be a few hour's lounge in the bath tonight reading the manual.

Pleased with it so far, though.
Waterproof paper I hope... Like Harvey's maps
And I trust you have a large G & T in one hand?
...it's more waterproof than the version I downloaded in advance on my tablet....... ;-)

...well, I've sorted (most of) the settings. It's reasonably intuitive by the i-Drive, but there are still some to investigate, and some which caught me out.

There is a set of 8 physical buttons below the CD slot, to which I assigned 8 radio frequencies (albeit on different wavebands). I then read the online in-car manual, which says you can assign 40 frequencies, and proceeds to describe how this is done via screen display options!

As it happens, the 8 physical buttons actually store "options/shortcuts" for many of the i-Drive screen functions, you simply populate the button with what you want in a similar way to assigning a radio frequency. 8 buttons for widely-varied functions could be confusing, though, so if you lightly run your finger over a button, it displays its function on the screen, without invoking it (which then needs a push).

So, I now have maybe 2 dozen radio frequencies stored on a screen which can be rapidly scrolled and selected by the i-Drive, and one of the physical buttons assigned to go to that screen).

A pound to a penny, however, that I also end up with radios 1 to 5 on the first five physical buttons :-)

Anyway, off for a spin today; a round trip of 180 miles out for lunch and a bit of a walk. It really is so-far-so-good. The car did everything that was asked of it driving in that vast hinterland that exists between "mimsing" and "pressing-on", with very varied roads, hilly bits, and a few longish bits of queuing testing out the advantages of having chosen an auto.

The driving position really suits me (and this was obviously one of the things that kept drawing me back to this car). The "Sports Seats" which were one of the options "thrown-in" really help, as the seat squab can be extended to support my (longish) legs. It feels solid, and well balanced/planted on the road, and not too many bump/thumps over the poorer surfaces.

The internal roominess was proven by my 6ft 3in son riding in the back (without adjusting the front seating), and I only tried to use the clutch once. ;-)

Best of all, however, was the reading on the trip meter of 42.6mpg over the 180 miles. Admittedly mostly done with the drive experience switch set to "Eco", but this was adequate for the day, and must really be seen as an excellent return for a roomy, 2-litre petrol, auto 4wd car.

I've yet to see how accurate the trip meter is, but if I can maintain figures close to this, I'll be a very happy man (the diesel, non-Auto Sportage would have struggled to match that on today's drive).
 BMW - Woe is me...... - tyrednemotional
...echoing Runfer's post on kerbing his smart alloy a few days into his new car.....

Went out for a longish walk today. It was pretty windy in the Peak District, but warm, and we escaped all the sharp showers on our 11 mile stroll.

Returned, however, to find part of a branch on the ground in front of the car, and two very noticeable dents in the bonnet. I've had the car 6 days :-(

Time to find out how well paintless dent repair works on aluminium, for that it is (and it may be a wake-up call on aluminium's durability!).

OTOH, the car continues to grow on me, and is a beautiful drive. On limited evidence so far, it looks as though fuel consumption in the upper 40s on long runs, and upper 30s overall are going to be (relatively easily) achievable. (at the moment, it is hovering around the 40 mark overall since purchase with less than ideal driving conditions for economy). I would remind you this is a petrol, auto.

All (or at least most of) the in-car electronics are now sussed, and (once you know what is fitted, and what it can do - not the easiest thing to ascertain from the manual) all is very easy to manipulate via the i-Drive control.

I could write a book, however, about signing up for BMW's services such that I could download the just-released map update for the navigation system, and another three books on installing it! (user-friendly, the process isn't ;-) )

On checking the VIN number, the build date came up as 19/5/16, so it hasn't been sat around in a compound for long.

...well, I asked the "Prestige" used car dealership in the village who they used for dent removal, and they came up with a name of a guy who is well reviewed online.

Contacted yesterday, came today, and £40 later, I can just, see where the dents were, but only because I know, (and the bonnet needs polishing to improve even that). 99/100, I would say.

Money well spent, I think (though I couldn't watch him do it ;-) - there was a bit of banging going on).

BMW - Woe is me...... - Runfer D'Hills
Just caught up with this T&E. Gosh, sorry to hear about the dings, but glad you like the car otherwise. My wheel of shame doesn't show if the wheels are dirty, so, I'll just have to not wash it I suppose !
...you really, really would struggle to see them now.

The car is still providing enjoyment, and I've got accustomed enough to the auto to not de-clutch in SWMBO's car when coming to a halt :-( .
My ex-wife ( no this wasn't the reason for the ex bit ) managed to "push the clutch in" in my automatic Rover 800 while there was a huge home made Black Forest gateaux on the back seat...

The result was a car interior ( beige velour initially ) redolent of a scene from Nightmare on Elm St.
 BMW - Woe is me...... - legacylad
I don't suppose there were prawns with 'rose marie' sauce adjacent?
It was a long time ago ! Fondues etc...
>> .....beige velour.....

..oh how I bet you miss that....

;-)
British racing green body with beige velour. It was actually an ok car when it wasn't broken.
 BMW - Woe is me...... - mikeyb
Have fond memories of the Rover 800. When I was 18 a mates dad had one as a company car, and he was allowed / insured to use it.

The old girl could probably tell a few stories (although is probably a baked bean can long since) but what always surprised me was that we gave it a pretty hard time, plus my mates Dad was also a very "spirited" driver yet in 2 years and 80K it was faultless
 BMW - Woe is me...... - No FM2R
My Father had an 827. (I think that's what is was). It was a company car and got through multiple (4, I think) gearboxes in the time he had it.
Latest Forum Posts