Motoring Discussion > Honda Jazz/Fit - Quickly - tyre recommendations. Accessories and Parts
Thread Author: Roger. Replies: 28

Honda Jazz/Fit - Quickly - tyre recommendations. - Roger.
Our Jazz is in for MOT & service tomorrow. I have just looked at the fitted Continentals and seen that despite the tread being legal that they were made in March 2005 and are showing the first quite faint signs of sidewall cracks.
Given the low mileage of the car (reading now 36600 and confirmed as correct by VOSA since the first MOT) I reckon they have spent long periods doing not much.
I might well pre-empt trouble by having them replaced tomorrow at the same time& place - Halford's - where the MOT & service are being done.
I'm looking for recommendations with a strong bias towards good mpg and a soft/smooth ride, (The Jazz is a bit harsh in the latter element).
I will not consider ditch-finders and am leaning towards Michelin Energy Savers, which Halford's have at around £48 per tyre.

Any suggestions for this type of specification, before I head off at 0815 tomorrow morning?

(Tyres are 175:65:14:82:T)

edited to correct spelling in subject header
Last edited by: VxFan on Tue 2 Aug 16 at 12:51
 Honda Jazz/Fit - Quickly -t yre recommendaions. - Bromptonaut
Go Michelin

I prefer the brand for our 2013 1.6/120PS 'lingo (they're OEM) but roughly twice that price so last time I compromised with BF Goodrich.

Last edited by: Bromptonaut on Mon 1 Aug 16 at 20:24
 Honda Jazz/Fit - Quickly -t yre recommendaions. - Manatee
That looks a good price Roger. Mytyres want £57 fitted. I'd be quite happy with that for a Michelin.
 Honda Jazz/Fit - Quickly -t yre recommendaions. - tyrednemotional
>>
>> I might well pre-empt trouble by having them replaced tomorrow at the same time& place
>> - Halford's - where the MOT & service are being done.
>>

..nowadays, if you want a specific tyre at the advertised price, most fitting centres want some notice so they can order them in.

I may be wrong in this case, but i suspect that, if they haven't already been organised, you'll not get them fitted "on the day".
 Honda Jazz/Fit - Quickly -t yre recommendaions. - legacylad
Try Black Circles online for a fully ftted price
 Honda Jazz/Fit - Quickly -t yre recommendaions. - VxFan
>> Try Black Circles online for a fully ftted price

Every time I've shopped on-line for tyres, they've nearly always given me the most expensive quote.

If you can find someone to fit them for you, try www.camskill.co.uk , or see if you've got a www.bestbuytyres.co.uk fitting centre local to you.
 Honda Jazz/Fit - Quickly -t yre recommendaions. - Duncan
Do you really get your car serviced at Halfords?
 Honda Jazz/Fit - Quickly -t yre recommendaions. - Roger.
>> Do you really get your car serviced at Halfords?
>>
Yes - our local centre is pretty good.
 Honda Jazz/Fit - Quickly -t yre recommendaions. - martin aston
vxfan
bith these are new links to me. Camskills site is pretty poor (eg FAQ and somebody other tabs are blank) and I assume you need to pay on top for fitting etc. This would make them comparatively expensive for my size.
Best Buy Tyres look to be the cheapest I can find for Cross Climates (205/55 r16 £66.90) that I am considering. This may not be case for OP needs of course but look like they will get my business. Thanks for the steer.
Having said that Halfords are only £2 a tyre dearer and if, like the OP, I was going there anyway, it wouldn't be worth the hassle to go anywhere else. I used them last time I needed a pair of Continentals and with a "Buy two" offer they were within a couple of pounds of the competition who were less convenient.

Honda Jazz/Fit - Quickly -t yre recommendaions. - VxFan
>> vxfan
>> Camskill - I assume you need to pay on top for fitting etc.

I did leave a clue in my post.

"If you can find someone to fit them for you, try www.camskill.co.uk"

Of course, it depends on how much it costs to have them fitted, but I used to pay the local tyre garage £5 a corner for fitting, balancing, disposal, etc, so it did work out cheaper for me.

There are also places like www.mytyres.co.uk and www.tyre-shopper.co.uk who also offer fitting within their price.

Local radio keeps pushing www.tyresonthedrive.com , but I've no idea what they're like. I've previously used www.etyres.co.uk though because they had the tyres I wanted at a cheaper price than others, and provided a good service.

If you've got the time, it's best to shop round if you want the best deal. But that applies to anything, not only tyres.
Last edited by: VxFan on Tue 2 Aug 16 at 10:24
Mytyres are miles out on price at the moment. I suspect their price file is in Euro and just resets the GBP price periodically using the prevailing exchange rate.

The last tyres I bought were Michelins from Costco. They were competitive without the £50 voucher I received for buying during one of their periodic promotions. About £400 for 4 x 225/55R18 Primacy 3 IIRC.

It used to be 20% off during promotions for buying 4 tyres. Now it is a voucher of a value related to the size you buy, maximum £75 I think.
 Honda Jazz/Fit - Quickly -t yre recommendaions. - Bill Payer
>> the cheapest I can find for Cross Climates (205/55
>> r16 £66.90) that I am considering.

If you have access to Costco and want Michelin tyres, then try them. They're not as cheap as they used to be, but they're usually there or thereabouts and you're dealing with a known organisation that won't mess you about.
 Honda Jazz/Fit - Quickly -t yre recommendaions. - Duncan
>> If you have access to Costco and want Michelin tyres, then try them. They're not
>> as cheap as they used to be, but they're usually there or thereabouts and you're
>> dealing with a known organisation that won't mess you about.

Don't forget to add the 25 quid for membership.
 Honda Jazz/Fit - Quickly -t yre recommendaions. - martin aston
I am not a member but (for my tyres) Costco currently are a bit over £70 per tyre fitted, so not the cheapest currently. If they were convenient for me I could wait for a promotion but they are a long way from me so not a viable option in my case.
>> I could wait for a promotion

They just finished one but they're not as good as they used to be. Think it was £50 off a set of 4 tyres. They used to do 20% off a couple of times a year with no requirement to buy 4.

I notice they've bumped up the fitting charge as well which makes a bigger impact on cheaper tyres. Doesn't seem long ago it was £3 - now it's £8.40.
Fitting charge? I don't think I've ever seen it split out. Just been to Costco as it happens on another mission. Bridgestone B280 in Roger's size are £44.98 inc VAT, and price quoted includes "mounting, balancing, rotation, new valve stems, casing disposal and pressure checks".
>> price quoted
>>

If you buy it and have it fitted the bill will itemise out the ex-VAT tyre price and the fitting charge, then add VAT to the total.

I wonder if their decision to offer (in a limited way) brands other than Michelin has affected their price advantage. On the Jazz's we used to have they offered us Continental tyres as Michelin didn't do anything that size.
>> >> price quoted
>> >>
>>
>> If you buy it and have it fitted the bill will itemise out the ex-VAT
>> tyre price and the fitting charge, then add VAT to the total.

Yes, I have a vague recollection of that - but it's irrelevant when looking at the total fitted price, unless you think the change is accounted for by an overall price rise? The pre-promotion prices still seem pretty sharp.
>> Don't forget to add the 25 quid for membership.
>>
I said "if you have access to Costco" - ie you're already a member, or know someone who is.
So it turns out that new tyres are not needed! Unfortunately what WAS needed were new front discs & pads and a lower suspension arm, so a big bill (for me) was the outcome ;-(
 Honda Jazz/Fit - Quickly -t yre recommendaions. - NortonES2
What a surprise!
 Honda Jazz/Fit - Quickly -t yre recommendaions. - Falkirk Bairn
Headline in the SUN

Halfords services a car that did not need discs & pads!

20 years ago Kwik-fit failed to spot leaking shock absorber!
>> new front discs & pads

Can I ask what they charged for pads & discs? One of ours needs doing and I'm in two minds about whether to leave it to the dealer or get it done pre-emptively?

At one time I'd have done it myself but I'm long past doing this stuff now and I usually end up hurting myself or scratching my glasses!
Included wheel alignment - £189. Honda dealer menu price is, IIRC, £275.
>> Included wheel alignment - £189. Honda dealer menu price is, IIRC, £275.
>>
Thanks - Yes, it is £275 at the dealer. A tad OTT, but I suppose the genuine items have lasted pretty well. I'm wondering whether to just change the pads before it goes in.
Last edited by: Bill Payer on Wed 3 Aug 16 at 11:37
 Honda Jazz/Fit - Quickly -t yre recommendaions. - Mike H
>> So it turns out that new tyres are not needed!

Not in their opinion, but 11 years is dangerously old for tyres. You really should get them changed, there is much evidence that they shouldn't be used after 5 years.
I don't disagree, but on re-checking the ages it seems that the tyres are a mixture of 2010 and 2011.
Still getting on a bit and one, in particular, is showing signs of crazing on the sidewall.
Maybe after pension day!
Caravanists are advised to replace at 5 years. I incline to follow that, but mainly because there are only two of them in my case carrying 1200kg and I would be much less likely to notice a deflation when driving than one on the car.

There must be a huge number of cars running around on 'old' tyres. If the pressures are checked regularly and they are visually OK I wouldn't be too worried. Not advice, of course.
 Honda Jazz/Fit - Tyre recommendations. - Roger.
Thanks for the various feedbacks.
As my friendly fuel supplier has decided to refund the credit amount on the account (£127!) We, as we have decided to run the Jazz until it dies, or we do, have bitten the bullet and ordered 4 Michelin Energy Saver + from Halford's at a fitted price of £47.99 each. They were offering the cheapest all in price I could find, too:-)
Latest Forum Posts