Motoring Discussion > two tone memories Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Buddy Replies: 28

two tone memories - Buddy
saw a restored Ford Consul today (mid 50s) in cream/red, with whitewall tyres and sunscreen etc - looked great. I recall in 1969 buying an Austin 1300, green with an eye-catching (Ford) silver fox roof -really set it apart from the herd. Set me wondering which were the last production cars with twin tones - Wolsleys and Rileys, maybe? And which of today's cars would benefit from another colour added? Trouble was, IIRC, the drilling needed for the side chrome strips which separated the colours added to the rust problem that plagued so many cars of that era!
 two tone memories - DP
The last one I remember was the Ford Sierra LX from the mid 80's which had a gunmetal grey finish on the door bottoms and sills

www.stufffromthe80s.co.uk/images/ford-sierra-lx-1986.jpg
 two tone memories - Redviper
Mk1 Astra 1.6 used to come in a two tone Blue across the body and Grey accross the bottom half of the car (IIRC)
 two tone memories - VxFan
>> Mk1 Astra 1.6 used to come in a two tone

There was the EXP (Black and gold), and the Celebrity (dark and light grey)

retrorides.proboards.com/index.cgi?action=display&board=general&thread=72895&page=1

I don't recall the gold/brown one in the pictures though.
Last edited by: VxFan on Thu 5 Aug 10 at 13:57
 two tone memories - Redviper
Ah yes of course i remeber now - brilliant pics on that site but ive never seen the EXP Version before - there used to still be a Celebrity version in Darlington until recently in general use.
 two tone memories - VxFan
>> ive never seen the EXP Version before

I thought you'd seen mine when I posted a pic on the other site. Couldn't post it earlier as I didn't have the link on my works PC.

img511.imageshack.us/my.php?image=astran.jpg
 two tone memories - henry k
>>Set me wondering which were the last production cars with twin tones - Wolsleys and Rileys, maybe?
>>
Lots on tinyurl.com/32da86x if these are considered production cars.
 two tone memories - Dave_
MkII Cavalier SRi (and LX run-out model) were still being made in two-tone in 1988.

bit.ly/b12oUU
 two tone memories - Hard Cheese

Does a vinyl roof count? My Dolomite Sprint was russet brown with a beige roof in sunroof, I had it replaced with black vinyl.

two tone memories - Zero
>>
>> Does a vinyl roof count?

NO
 two tone memories - Bagpuss
My 1994 Mercedes has the lower body completely clad in plastic panels which are a different colour to the rest of the bodywork. Mercedes used this design until the product range was phased out in late 1996.

tinyurl.com/ylgc58d

two tone memories - Dog
2 tone Granada woz nice ~ www.flickr.com/photos/stuart166axe/2232897477/
>> >>
>> >> Does a vinyl roof count?
>>
>> NO
>>

Phew, I dont want to think that i might have been driving a two tone car ;-)
Vinyl sure does count, and you've reminded me of the 1977 blue Cavalier I had (Mk 1) which had factory-fitted black vinyl top including sliding sunroof. I suppose nearest thing to that these days is Audi's open sky system, which on an A3 looks like a black roof until you get close.
 two tone memories - Zero
Vinyl sure does not count. Vinyl is a Vinyl roof, NOT two tone paint.

Your cav is excluded, banned, rejected, disqualified, ineligable!
 two tone memories - Falkirk Bairn
Subaru Legacy & Outback in the early 2000s - blue & silver, Red & gold...............
 two tone memories - Ted

My Vitara's dark blue over silver, '96. So is a pals Hilux.
Common on a lot of 4X4s

Ted
>> My Vitara's dark blue over silver, '96. So is a pals Hilux. Common on a lot of 4X4s
>>
Just as I read the above a two tone ( dark green over gray) 4 X 4 Hilux type job passed by.
Does this Ford Ka count ?
www.dep-o.co.uk/page216.asp
 two tone memories - Zero
No, its not two tone paint, just parts not painted.
Z, your spelling is ineligible, young man/old chap(?), and that's Vinal
 two tone memories - DP
>> MkII Cavalier SRi (and LX run-out model) were still being made in two-tone in 1988.

Blimey, I forgot and I owned an SRi too. Mine was black though, which made the effect far less obvious. :-)
 two tone memories - mikeyb
My Rover 214 Si was two tone - that was a 1990 example
 two tone memories - Old Navy
Does a brown and rust subtle two tone on an Allegro estate count ?
Last edited by: Old Navy on Thu 5 Aug 10 at 18:50

How about this?

svammelsurium.blogg.se/images/2008/20080930nvwharlequin500blt_18720469.jpg

Or this?

majorgav.files.wordpress.com/2010/03/citroen-gs-limited-edition.jpg?w=400&h=301

two tone memories - kb
Thought for a moment, when looking at the thread title, that this was to be a comparison of the relative merits, and sharing fond memories of, two tones versus the old chrome plated bell versus modern electronic warning devices.............but I was wrong.
 two tone memories - Auntie Lockbrakes
The in-Laws 2001 Toyota Land Cruiser Prado is red over a silver lower half...

Aren't a lot of those new Maybachs - aka S-Classes on steroids - two-tone, perhaps to disguise the barge's size?!
 two tone memories - Mr Moo
Austin / Rover / BL Montegos came with two tone paint in the early-mid '90s. We had a 1991 Montego 2.0DLX Turbo (with optional power steering)!, which was in two-tone silver, with grey lower half, possibly to help conceal the rust!

Amazingly, it was stolen from a Tesco car park when my Mum was doing the weekly shop. Still can't understand why anybody would want to take it...
 two tone memories - L'escargot
I've no doubt that two tone was discontinued as a cost saving. At one time the colour of wheels depended on the colour of the bodywork, but this was discontinued in favour of thw now-ubiquitous silver. I understand that a production operative at Rootes Group received an award for this cost-saving suggestion.
Latest Forum Posts