Motoring Discussion > Diesel to petrol. Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Old Navy Replies: 9

Diesel to petrol. - Old Navy
After 30 years of owning and driving diesel cars I have bought a petrol car. It has not been anywhere near as traumatic as I expected, a normally aspirated 102 bhp engine in a just over one ton car is well able to keep up with the traffic and easily cruise at motorway speeds. It is a bit down on torque at low revs but not to the extent of being a problem. 50mpg on a tight engine, no turbo, no DPF, no DMF, and expected to be a long term car.

I am converted, filthy stuff diesel. :-)
 Diesel to petrol. - rtj70
I've enjoyed a petrol (turbo) again.

You just need to stay alive a long time to make it a good purchase ON :-) Happy motoring and enjoying the new car.
>> You just need to stay alive a long time to make it a good purchase
>> ON :-) Happy motoring and enjoying the new car.
>>

I fall into the "spritley" range of geriatrics, I hope to be around for a few years yet! :-)
 Diesel to petrol. - madf
I intend to be a burden on the state for another 31 years so I can get a letter from the Queen and recover ten times all the tax I have paid - in Old Age Pension and Benefits...:-)
 Diesel to petrol. - Stuartli
You should try a VW or its stable's equivalents with a TSi engine (mine's the T for Twin charged) 1.4-litre 170bhp version...:-)
But for how long? Turbo'd to within an inch of its life.? Read the TFSI horror stories online.
Last edited by: Old Sundodger on Mon 22 Aug 16 at 13:17
>> But for how long? Turbo'd to within an inch of its life.? Read the TFSI horror stories online.>>

Mine's nine years old now and still goes like the proverbial off a shovel - it's the only "drama" to date....:-)
Obviously t'internet attracts the horror stories about TSI and TFSI engines and there will be thousands of faultless ones for every duff or neglected one. A highly stressed engine is something I don't want or need. Having said that, my current 1.3 is more powerful than my last petrol 1.6. and the car being lighter performs better as well. Might be something to do with the variable timing on both camshafts and variable valve lift on the intake valves.
Last edited by: Old Sundodger on Mon 22 Aug 16 at 14:38
 Diesel to petrol. - nice but dim
Maybe a bit of thread drift but the early cars I had VW Group 1.6 and 1.8's and an Audi 2.0 (all 80's period 8v tech) creeped very well just by lifting the clutch and no flicker of the engine note or rev counter. The Audi was only 90bhp but extremely strong at idle.

The past 10 years have been littered with Jap metal including 1.6, 2.0s and an 1800cc V6 and none of them have crept very well if at all. Slow traffic queues had crawled along with clutch at half mast and they would just stall if trying to move off with little revs.

The highest power output of any of those was 130bhp and all 4 valve/cyl engines but presumably no or minimal torque at idle but tuned for the top of the rev range.

The current japanese 2.0 diesel is as you would expect, unstoppable at idle on most gradients I've come across.
All my VWs (all petrol models) have been able to "creep" along in the lower gears very well no matter how slow the traffic speed - bit like a 4x4.

Apart from the VW TSi units, the Ford one-litre (100 and 125bhp) petrol engines perform remarkably well based on my experience. A Focus 125bhp example in which I was a passenger recently carried four large adults in surprisingly brisk fashion.
Latest Forum Posts