Motoring Discussion > Tax discs still issued? Tax / Insurance / Warranties
Thread Author: Cliff Pope Replies: 14

Tax discs still issued? - Cliff Pope
A few days ago I spotted a new car with a tax disc expiring in February 2017, issued in January this year. It looked just like an old disc but with a current date.

How come? Are they still issued for special purposes, or are they just an unofficial thing, like the special old ones for classic cars?
 Tax discs still issued? - Old Navy
They can be bought online with any date and registration number you want.
 Tax discs still issued? - Cliff Pope
I wondered that, but who'd want one? An old one I could understand - I'm considering getting a 1967 and 1968 for my old two.
>> I wondered that, but who'd want one? An old one I could understand - I'm
>> considering getting a 1967 and 1968 for my old two.
>>

Old ones I can understand for show purposes, new one fall into the same category as personal "Pratt plates".
 Tax discs still issued? - FuzzyDuck
Probably for those who forget when the VED is due, they get a reminder every time they approach the vehicle.
DVLA reminds me with a renewal form on my doormat.
 Tax discs still issued? - Boxsterboy
>> DVLA reminds me with a renewal form on my doormat.
>>

If they sent me one last time, I didn't receive it. All I got was the fine! Nice little earner for DVLA.
 Tax discs still issued? - rtj70
If you have a smartphone then you could always install an app that can check MOT and road fund licence details and alert you when they are due.

Our local MOT place texts coming up to the renewal date.

Personally, I have a reminder in my calendar telling me a month before the MOT and RFL are due.
 Tax discs still issued? - Harleyman
>> If you have a smartphone then you could always install an app that can check
>> MOT and road fund licence details and alert you when they are due.
>>
>> Our local MOT place texts coming up to the renewal date.
>>
>> Personally, I have a reminder in my calendar telling me a month before the MOT
>> and RFL are due.
>>

Don't need either . I'm married.
 Tax discs still issued? - VxFan
Some blue badge holders who pay zero VED are encouraged to leave their old disc in the windscreen so that they can continue to park for free in their local area.
 Tax discs still issued? - Robin O'Reliant
I pay both of ours by direct debit, which renews automatically.
 Tax discs still issued? - mikeyb
The Lexus is zero rated. When I got it the dealer pointed out to me that I still had to physically tax it as they had several customers who had been fined for thinking they didn't have to bother
My last car was zero rated, it still had to be taxed annually at zero cost. The authorities like to keep the database up to date so they know where to send the FPNs and can charge the parking enforcement companies for your details.
 Tax discs still issued? - Slidingpillar
Ditto with cars in the 'historic' ie free tax group.
 Tax discs still issued? - Harleyman
>> The Lexus is zero rated. When I got it the dealer pointed out to me
>> that I still had to physically tax it as they had several customers who had
>> been fined for thinking they didn't have to bother
>>

I've known one or two with historic vehicles who've made the same mistake, especially those with pre-1960 who are now also exempt MOT.
Latest Forum Posts