Motoring Discussion > Gwent Police Officers removed from duty. Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Chris White Replies: 105

Gwent Police Officers removed from duty. - Chris White
I know that there's probably more than reported here but I would think that the police performed as they have been trained to and how could they possibly know what the man's intentions were.

tinyurl.com/2uzbfdh

Chris.
Last edited by: Pugugly on Thu 5 Aug 10 at 22:45
 Gwent Police Officers removed from duty. - Zero
Its a Range Rover, I thought it was SOP to shock the driver into not driving away?

And he had illegal plates, it looks like a drug dealers car to be honest.

Last edited by: Pugugly on Thu 5 Aug 10 at 22:45
 Gwent Police Officers removed from duty. - Old Navy
He did not exceed the speed limit during the "chase" and was heading for home. An address the police would have been aware of.

Why not follow him home and then fine tooth the car for offences, which they obviously did anyway.

But as you say there is probably more to it than over enthusiastic coppers, he must have done something to pee them off.
Last edited by: Pugugly on Thu 5 Aug 10 at 22:46
>> But as you say there is probably more to it than over enthusiastic coppers, he
>> must have done something to pee them off.

Failing to stop for 18 minutes is a good place to start.
And failing the attitude test big time. :-)
 Gwent Police Officers removed from duty. - Bellboy
ive just read the full lot and i would too smash the windows once he stopped
look at the car the plate the glass
arrogance in our society personified
 Gwent Police Officers removed from duty. - bathtub tom
It was a 'blinged-up' Range Rover with personalised number plates (illegally spaced) and over-tinted windows. Call me an old cynic if you like, but what would you have thought was driving it.

The confused, sick old man was compos mentis enough to stop before he punctured his tyres on a stinger.
Last edited by: Pugugly on Thu 5 Aug 10 at 22:47
 Gwent Police Officers removed from duty. - sherlock47
Add to all the above that he did not appear ' frail' when dragged from the car.

Does the recording get into the public domain once he has been prosecuted?
 Gwent Police Officers removed from duty. - Westpig
Can someone change the header please. The officers have been taken off operational duties i.e. not meeting the public until the investigation is complete...not suspended.

That OK ?
 Policemen suspended in Gwent - -
''Look Ethel he's got a RR with a personal plate and the rear windows are tinted,''
Just like every single one of the hundreds i've collected from the factory.

Is there a green movement here, and i don't mean the type that care for the environment.
 Gwent Police Officers removed from duty. - Armel Coussine
Frankly Westpig you wouldn't want to meet them even if they were in a good mood. After a terrifying 17-minute mimse at speeds up to 37 mph or so, these chaps thought it OK to criminally damage some old Mr Magoo type's Range Rover. Unless Mr M has hidden depths they are severely out of order, surely?
Last edited by: Pugugly on Thu 5 Aug 10 at 22:48
Pity it wasnt the states, they would have shot him.
 Policemen suspended in Gwent - Old Navy
I had better be careful, my KIA has privacy glass and drug dealer wheels. :-)
 Gwent Police Officers removed from duty. - Runfer D'Hills
Fairly rubbish drug dealer though.........

:-0
>> Fairly rubbish drug dealer though.........
>>
>> :-0
>>

True, absolutly useless in fact. :-)
you wouldnt make a korea criminal then
Last edited by: Pugugly on Thu 5 Aug 10 at 22:49
 Policemen suspended in Gwent - Runfer D'Hills
I've got a sort of trainee-cum-not-very-successful drug dealer car. At least it's a black blinged up 4x4. Bit amateurish though next to a RR Sport or ML.
>> Pity it wasnt the states, they would have shot him.
>>
>> or missed and tasored his goolies
nice one.............
 Gwent Police Officers removed from duty. - FotheringtonTomas
>> After a terrifying 17-minute mimse at speeds up to 37 mph or so, these chaps
>> thought it OK to criminally damage some old Mr Magoo type's Range Rover.
>> Unless Mr M has hidden depths they are severely out of order, surely?

They'd only just previously stopped him. They had talked to him. They would have been aware of the individual.

He did not speed or drive in a manner indicating he was trying to "get away" on the film. The police were calm when they were following. Mr. M stopped at a road block. The police were straight out and straight at it - the policeman out of the car made no attempt to communicate before bashing away. The one from the roadblock who got onto the front of the car did not, either.

It is possible that the man's "confusion" was real.

For what it's worth, I do not think that not wearing a seat-belt when reversing, having tinted windows, or a dodgy number-plate, or "failing the attitude test", or "looking like a drug dealer", or having a more expensive car than someone's own, or having a car not to one's taste - when the driver had only just been stopped, and was known - justifies the action taken. The law applies to everyone.

The statement from Gwent Police is very interesting:

"Gwent Police said it had 'great concerns' when it learnt of the incident, and promised a thorough investigation. It added that the Independent Police Complaints Commission (IPCC) was looking into the matter."

"Deputy Chief Constable Carmel Napier said: "When the incident happened Gwent Police had great concerns about what appeared to have occurred. Immediate contact was made with the complainant, his concerns recorded and a voluntary referral made by the force to the IPCC."

Two policemen have been "removed from operational duty". That, to me, is "suspension" unless one wants to prevaricate.

So, we shall see what happens.
 Gwent Police Officers removed from duty. - R.P.
FT,

"Suspension" is a legal status under Police Acts and Police Regulations. No prevarication, they are not suspended, they've been removed from operational duties. Having read up on the case elsewhere on the web, I'll change the OP's subject line to make it accurate..
Last edited by: Pugugly on Thu 5 Aug 10 at 22:50
>> FT,
>>
>> "Suspension" is a legal status under Police Acts and Police Regulations. No
>> prevarication, they are not suspended, they've been removed from operational
>> duties.

Then substitute "nit picking" for "prevarication". In plain English, they have indeed been suspended from normal duties.
Last edited by: Pugugly on Thu 5 Aug 10 at 22:50
 Policemen suspended in Gwent - Manatee
The giveaway is the copper on the bonnet. If the officers (certainly not gentlemen) had had any serious concerns about the driver escaping, they would certainly not have been jumping on the bonnet kicking the windscreen. That was pure intimidation.
 Policemen suspended in Gwent - smokie
Also the hustling away of the onlooker who stopped.

It doesn't look pretty does it, but those tactics are often seen in apparently more justified circumstances on Road Wars etc and I didn't like the idea at all when I first saw it but now realise there is a need for shock and awe.
 Policemen suspended in Gwent - FotheringtonTomas
>> I didn't like the idea at all when I first saw it (on TV) but now realise
>> there is a need for shock and awe.

But why? Under what circumstances? All?
 Policemen suspended in Gwent - IJWS14
Possibly a little OTT

BUT

I would expect police officers to do this to a driver who has not stopped for 18 minutes, has an obvious disregard for the law, drove off before being told they had finished the original conversation with him, may have hit one of the officers with the car when he did drive off.

I would make very sure they were finished before I drove off.

Hope his car has a prohibition notice on it until he gets the blackout removed
DVLA remove his right to the number
etc

Police in the area are no doubt looking for balck range rovers to do checks on!
 Policemen suspended in Gwent - Fenlander
I am a huge supporter of the police but feel very uncomfortable with their actions on the video. It was obvious this was an elderly person who had acted in an erratic way... a far cry from the stolen car or no tax/insurance drug carrying chav they often deal with.

Given the gentle speeds of the pursuit they owed him 10 secs to gather his wits and wind the window down.

Their actions could well have prompted him to have some sort of heart attack the the same way you see the headlines *pensioner dies after yobs assault*.

Dark windows and iffy plate... so what... if one night they similarly stopped everyone entering the local town with those offences they'd have a lot of windows to smash.

To me it looked like the onlooker might have known the guy and been worried what sort of beating he'd get when dragged out.
Last edited by: Fenlander on Fri 6 Aug 10 at 09:11
 Policemen suspended in Gwent - Collos
I agree with the police actions but if they lived in my mothers city of Bradford then they would be breaking glass none stop the city is full of uninsured blacked out vehicles with iffy plates but fortunetly for thwem there is very little or no police traffic activity.
 Policemen suspended in Gwent - hobby
So his excuse for driving off originally was that he needed his medication... though the speed he was driving at would indicate that it perhaps wasn't all that urgent... Perhaps if he was in that much need of the medication it should have been carried by him in his car so to hand straight away or he should he used the Police to get him home so he could get to it quickly and legally?

I do wonder if he should be driving at all due to medical grounds?

I to am a little uncomfortable with the actions at the end, but without seeing what happenned before the "chase" started it is difficult to judge... though the rules are clear enough, if you have a copper behind you with the siren on you move over or stop... not keep going for 18 minutes!
 Policemen suspended in Gwent - Dog
No wonder some people hate coppers.
 Policemen suspended in Gwent - Cpt. Flack
He has obvious issues with hearing and vision which begs the question, should he be on the road in the first place. If you watch the end of most "chases" on the TV, the police use these techniques whoever they are chasing. I don't think it was over the top.The old boy instigated the reaction.
Ban him and reinstate the officers back on duty.
 Policemen suspended in Gwent - Stuu
Let the police do what they want, he obviously deserved it, its not like the police do this kinda thing for fun. For that kinda arrest, you gotta watch Duane Chapman in his Rambo gear on Bravo :-)
I really think that the key to this is what happenned before the video started, and that seems to be the bit that is disputed between him and the Police... until we know exactly what happenned then its difficult to know whether it was over reaction or not.
 Policemen suspended in Gwent - Dieselfitter
I'm not convinced the old chap is as innocent or frail or blameless as he makes out. But it does seem a bit OTT to jump on the bonnet and try to kick the windscreen in. How hard can it be to arrest one old chap?

Out of interest, if it turns out that the aforementioned old chap is cleared of anything more serious that not wearing a seatbelt, who pays for the damage?
It's been to court.

He was found guilty and received a £235 fine for the no seatbelt, no-plates, not stopping for an officer and the excess window tint.

He was found not guilty of *failing to stop after an accident* which I assume was the charge for supposedly knocking a copper with his car.

Updated article..
www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1300608/Robert-Whatleys-car-window-smashed-OAP-dragged-police-officers.html?ITO=1490

Image of the damaged screen in that article... absolute vandalism.
Last edited by: Fenlander on Fri 6 Aug 10 at 15:39
Sounds about right. I don't think he could argue with any of those. So the damage to his car was lawfully sustained, basically his own fault for failing to stop, and he must bear the cost?
Interesting that in the comments section at the bottom someone has written:

"It's public knowledge that he has convictions for traffic offences, abusive behaviour and has made previous allegations against Police! Coincidence?"

Sheds a different light on it if true...
It's temping to speculate that, in a rural area like this, he was well-known and pushed his luck once too often...

I suspect that bellboy had the measure of him in a post near the start of this thread...

Pure speculation, of course.

I'm still just interested in whether he has any comeback on the damage to his car, as common sense suggests that disproportionate force was used.
Last edited by: Dieselfitter on Fri 6 Aug 10 at 16:01
>>>>Sheds a different light on it if true...

What... that they were out to get him? Suppose it fits given the unexpected level of agression if he was just an *ordinary* member of the public.
>> What... that they were out to get him?

No, F, I was thinking more along the lines of the lead up to this "chase" being that he gave them an earful and drove off without permission in the process hitting the other copper... as they have said... he perhaps is not the Mr Innocent he makes out to be...
Last edited by: hobby on Fri 6 Aug 10 at 16:29
 Policemen suspended in Gwent - FotheringtonTomas
>> "It's public knowledge that he has convictions for traffic offences, abusive
>> behaviour and has made previous allegations against Police! Coincidence?"
>>
>> Sheds a different light on it if true...

Hang on, I also heard someone say that he kicks cats and abuses his wife whilst shotgunning beer.

Hang on, I also heard someone say that the policemen who smashed up his car enjoy doing that sort of thing, and they kick their cats and abuse their wives whilst shotgunning beer.

"Sheds a different light on it if true..."

Try bringing that up in court, and see how quickly you're told to STFU.
Last edited by: hobby on Fri 6 Aug 10 at 19:02
 Policemen suspended in Gwent - Manatee
>>the police use these techniques whoever they are chasing.

If the copper standing on the bonnet kicking the windscreen had thought there was the slightest chance of Mr Magoo driving off, he wouldn't have been there. That was pure red mist - his feet shouldn't touch the ground.
The trouble is with these reports in the Press AC, you only get a small part of the picture.

The last time I had my ugly mug festooned all across a tabloid, the story that went with it was 100% factually incorrect, i'm not talking about a slight wrong end of the stick or a noticeable embellishment...i'm talking totally wrong. Thankfully it wasn't to my detriment so selfishly i couldn't really care less.

In this case, we do not have the full facts and probably will never have them.

If the officers had stopped a confused pensioner who for whatever reason had failed to stop, had driven at a low speed home and at some point had his car vandalised in the fashion it was...then it is totally out of order and those involved need to be prosecuted and/or sacked.

Conversely, if the driver of the RR was very well known to Police, had a long criminal record, history of Police contact and varying degrees of violence etc, had driven at a Police Officer or was reckless as to how he drove away from a Police Officer prior to this recorded incident...then the rest of it kicks in.....then it puts it in a different light altogether, because the window smashing is a distraction technique commonly used at the end of pursuits, designed to disorientate people at a very dangerous time for Police Officers....(I take the point others have written about the officer standing on the bonnet).

Who knows what the true answer is, you cannot guarantee you'll get the FULL FACTS from a Press report.

I do understand all that Wp. Only too well in fact having observed distortion in the act of appearing.

I am going by the video. A long slow chase - more like a long slow follow really - followed by what we saw. The bloke being pulled looked very harmless. I would just like to know the story, but I haven't read a newspaper report of it, let alone a convincing one.

Of course I can well believe that there are people who enjoy winding the police up by posing as innocent idiots. But those two had certainly got seriously wound up. What by exactly?

I hope I don't come across as anti police in general, because I'm not.
>> I hope I don't come across as anti police in general, because I'm not.
>>

You don't.
 Gwent Police Officers removed from duty. - Manatee
>>The trouble is with these reports in the Press AC, you only get a small part of the picture.

>>In this case, we do not have the full facts and probably will never have them.

I was expecting this comment, and it is of course correct. Anything I have ever been personally involved with that has been reported in press or on TV has been presented with a very definite slant (few things are that simple) or completely inaccurately.

I considered this before making my comments on the policeman dancing on the bonnet; but unless the video has been faked, there it is. I am quite prepared to believe that Mr Magoo may have been one of those obnoxious individuals who think rules don't apply to them, but what is on video is enough (for me) to see that the police response was OTT - had such a violent (I use the word deliberately) response been justified, then the bonnet dancer wouldn't have been where he was.

The story may not be complete, but there is more evidence there than supports many a conviction of Joe Public in the magistrates' court; and of course the prosecution always presents its evidence selectively anyway.

Those police officers who are not self-important bullies, and have a difficult enough job already, must groan when they see this sort of thing. I know I do.
 Gwent Police Officers removed from duty. - Mapmaker
Given they had to stop the car with a stinger (?) the other actions are scarcely more aggressive.
 Gwent Police Officers removed from duty. - Pat
Well, I think it's disgusting which is a shame because I have the utmost repect for Police Officers and the job they do.
Unfortunaltely, like lorry drivers, a few can give the good ones a bad reputation.

Do we know who took the video of it?

Pat
>> Do we know who took the video of it?

Yes, the police. Hoist with their own petar. I should think that the video is tamper-proof.
Last edited by: FotheringtonTomas on Fri 6 Aug 10 at 17:21
Whats actually happened? They broke his car windows, and hauled him out of the car. Hes not been beaten up, shot, illegaly withheld, or tortured.

And as I said, as far as I know window breaking like this is normal to shock the driver into not driving off, in his case *AGAIN*

Whats the beef?
>> as far as I know window breaking like this is normal to shock the driver into not
>> driving off

What would I do if a gang of thugs started smashing my car up, with me in it, and the engine running? Hmm, not too difficult a question to answer!
>> What would I do if a gang of thugs started smashing my car up, with
>> me in it, and the engine running? Hmm, not too difficult a question to answer!

The gang of thugs were chasing him in cars with blue lights and sirens, they had uniforms.

He refused to stop for 18 minutes, sufficient grounds to perfomr a forceful stop.

Re 30 mph? check the video again pat.

He was clearly an obnoxious old git, either self important or stupid, dont know which probably both.

Last edited by: Zero on Fri 6 Aug 10 at 17:54
>> He was clearly an obnoxious old git, either self important or stupid, dont know which
>> probably both.

Hm. Open season on obnoxious gits. There's a thought.
>> Hes not been beaten up, shot, illegaly withheld, or tortured.<<

Thankfully none of those are legal in this country and I understood the Police only used 'reasonable force'.
Taking into account that they had already spoken to him, and are trained to assess the risk he posed at first sight, along with the fact he did no more than 30MPH in the 'chase', I don't consider those actions reasonable.
More to the point, neither will many others who will use it as a stick to beat the Police with in the future.

Pat
Exactly FT, I most certainly have driven off with the Officer on my bonnet because I look after myself first and foremost, and I certainly wouldn't have believed that to be the action of a kosher Policeman.

Pat
Erm, you've replied to yourself. Oh well.
Oh please FT, dont try and be a S-A, you are not very good at it.

Gwent Police Officers removed from duty. - Focusless
>> along with the fact he did no more than 30MPH in the 'chase'

morelike no less than 30mph, although the max (as measured by the police car) was only 42mph
 Gwent Police Officers removed from duty. - midlifecrisis

>> Yes, the police. Hoist with their own petar. I should think that the video is
>> tamper-proof.
>>

No it's not. There's a big delete button if you so desire.
The IPCC will out of our misery in the fullness of time. The impression I get is that the driver got the tape as part of disclosure and that it was him that released it to the press as a PR thing, Gwent ACPO seemed surprised by the thing anyway.
Make sense PU. As there's not any video of what happened before.
 Gwent Police Officers removed from duty. - Kevin
The ACPO is another organisation that needs it's wings clipped.

Do we actually have any Chief Constables in the UK who came up through the ranks instead of being fast-tracked out of uni with a PPE?

Kevin...
In the clip - the very long clip - that we saw, the perp looked like Mr Magoo and the two policemen looked, er, the way they looked. We will all be interested in the back story and scrutinise it with interest.

The chase was very long and very slow. There seemed on the face of it no reason for the thuggish fury of the two coppers. They hadn't been shot at. No one had tried to run them off the road. Perhaps Mr Magoo had been rude or stupid. So what? A copper who isn't used to that, and above it, is a damn virgin if you ask me, not fit to be doing an adult's job.

What matters is the back story. If any.

Last edited by: Armel Coussine on Fri 6 Aug 10 at 22:58
 Gwent Police Officers removed from duty. - teabelly
Is it just me or are the flashing blue and red lights not visible until they actually pull up close to the guy? You can see the reflection in the bonnet when it is pulled up behind him but I couldn't see them while it was moving.
Actually I can the red bits are range rover brake lights.... never would get awards for observation!
www.southwalesargus.co.uk/archive/2004/09/30/Gwent+Archive/4601150.Pensioner_set_to_sue_police/

archive.southwalesargus.co.uk/2004/7/30/58738.html

Gone from a 106 to an expensive range rover.

guardian version of the chase.

www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2010/aug/06/police-pensioner-car-chase
Last edited by: teabelly on Fri 6 Aug 10 at 23:38
It does seem there's more here, perhaps this thread should be locked?

>>The key witness in the case against Mr Whatley was PC Jonathan Ellis, from Abergavenny, who last week pleaded guilty to stealing £80 from a purse handed to him while he was on duty.

>>The court heard how PC Jonathan Ellis was on foot patrol in Four Ash Street on August 15 last year when he noticed a Peugeot 106 with an expired tax disc.

Gwent Police Officers removed from duty. - Cpt. Flack
There have been two high profile incidents that have been talked about on this site where persons in cars have had weapons and used them. Tragically fatally.

I am not surprised these officers took the action they took. Who knows what might have confronted them on the second stop. Whether from the driver or passengers in the back hidden from view by the black glass. They could not take chances with what has happened recently.

Anyone who fails to stop for police for that amount of time deserves the actions initiated.
 Gwent Police Officers removed from duty. - BobbyG
So smashing the windows and windscreen was going to defend the policemen if there was someone hidden in the car with a gun?
 Gwent Police Officers removed from duty. - Manatee
@Captain Flack - I repeat -

www.car4play.com/forum/post/index.htm?t=2306&m=44961&v=e

The same applies if the person in the police uniform thought there was a risk of him being shot.
 Gwent Police Officers removed from duty. - Hard Cheese

On face value the police reaction seems totally over the top, as had been said giving the driver 10 secs to open the window or door would be reasonable, and what was that policeman doing jumping on the bonnet? How would that help if the driver had a gun? And did he seriously think he could kick in a laminated windscreen.

The police reaction was so fierce that the driver (if innocent) could perhaps be forgiven for thinking that he was being attacked by people who what not real police officers.

Gwent Police Officers removed from duty. - SteelSpark
Let's get a grip.

Since when are you allowed to refuse to stop just because you are going slowly? Can I resist arrest as long as I do so slowly?

The driver acted in away that meant the situation was bound to end the way that it did.

Once the car was stopped, there was always the danger that the driver might just decide to drive off again, as he had shown disregard for the previous instructions to stop.

Of course the press bandy around "disabled pensioner" to try to portray the guy as a poor frail victim of police brutality, the truth seems very different.

My guess is that it is more likely he is an arrogant idiot, who thinks he can act like he wants, has a problem with authority, thinks he is above having to answer to the police and is then happy to cry foul when he is brought to book.

No doubt he has been brought down a peg or two by this, but probably finds some comfort in the fact that he has caused all this aggro.
 Gwent Police Officers removed from duty. - hobby
And he's had his moment of fame in the papers... something which seems more important to some people than just living a normal life...
 Gwent Police Officers removed from duty. - Dog
>>just living a normal life<<

Well done that man - Your Country Needs You!

:-D
 Gwent Police Officers removed from duty. - Cpt. Flack
"The police reaction was so fierce that the driver (if innocent) could perhaps be forgiven for thinking that he was being attacked by people who what not real police officers."

I think the uniforms, sirens, blue lights. police markings are more than obvious.
Last edited by: Cpt. Flack on Sat 7 Aug 10 at 12:17
 Gwent Police Officers removed from duty. - midlifecrisis
The old fool will be having a Facebok page set up for him next. Raul Moat supporters will tell you how to do it.
 Gwent Police Officers removed from duty. - -
Remember seeing a hooligan jumping on a bonnet once before, they were in red and white losers team strip as i recall and the blues were trying to stop them.

I've seen some badly spaced number plate lettering today, made a point of keeping distance in case my car was caught by the shrapnel.
 Gwent Police Officers removed from duty. - Fullchat
"The old fool will be having a Facebok page set up for him next. Raul Moat supporters will tell
you how to do it."

And he will become another "Legend".

Makes you proud to be British - Not!
Last edited by: Fullchat on Sun 8 Aug 10 at 00:30
>> Makes you proud to be British - Not!

Some Germans still idolise Hitler.

(its time Hitler made an appearance in here, it was overdue)
((Some Germans still idolise Hitler))

Not just Germans, Nazism wasn't (and isn't) confined to The Fatherland, as I'm sure my learned friend knows.
It was a joke dog. Ha ha.
so you put dog on a false lead
 Gwent Police Officers removed from duty. - Woodster
They all came up from Constable. Whilst some are effectively 'fast tracked' they still have to pass the PC to Sergeant and Sergeant to Inspector exams, first time (failure in most forces means expulsion from graduate/higher potential entry schemes). They may not spend long in some ranks but there is no direct entry to higher ranks.
 Gwent Police Officers removed from duty. - Woodster
I did post that after 'Kevins' entry above..

Midlife - 'Facebok?' South African version? Sorry, couldn't resist. I'll get back inside and only come out by invitation.
 Gwent Police Officers removed from duty. - zippy
I honestly think if that some thugs started beating my car with batons, that I would drive off at speed as I would honestly be in fear for my safety - how would I know that they would not next use those batons on me.

The problem is that the thug on the bonnet would probably be injured in the process - how would that stand in court. Could a claim of self defence be made?
>>I honestly think if that some thugs started beating my car with batons, that I would drive off at speed<<

I'd thought about it zippo, and you sed it ... reminds me of the heat wave c77/78,
wifey and I were on a hired 30ft cabin cruiser on The Thames up near Oxford, see,
we'd heard about thugs swimming out to boats and boarding them,
wifey and I were only a couple of kyds (23) and were on our own gently cruising along one late Summers evening,
3 hairy assed geezers started to swim out to our boat and attempt to board it by using the buoys,
I gave the ship full throttle and full right rudder,
their screams could be heard for miles around as they literally swam for their lives,
So, in any such situation, I would likely go into auto-protect/immediacy mode without considering the repercussions
 Gwent Police Officers removed from duty. - hobby
>> So, in any such situation, I would likely go into auto-protect/immediacy mode without considering the
>> repercussions
>>

Thats fair enough in that scenario... but, unlike him, I doubt you'd have put yourself in his situation in the first place, as like the rest of us you'd have stopped a long time before he did and so they probably wouldn't have reacted as they did!
>>but, unlike him, I doubt you'd have put yourself in his situation in the first place<<

As others have said we don't know the history of Mr Magoo and any previous 'dealings' with plod,
but yes ~ your assumption is correct, I wouldn't have driven off after having been stopped, until given the ok.
Without knowing exactly went on at the beginning making judgments is always difficult.

My perception is that whilst he was being dealt with he just decided to drive off and hits a bobby in the process. Touch of arrogance there.

He turns up at court and as is normal uses the media to put a different spin on facts - age, health issues, confused, gross over reaction - blah blah.

My opinion is that the putting in the side window was probably justified and proportionate as there was a strong possibility that he may have had another go at running someone over.

Jumping on the bonnet? Gross over reaction, difficult to justify and apparent 'red mist' syndrome. Certainly where you don't want to be if the vehicle does decide to move off.

Gwent Police Officers removed from duty. - Iffy
How odd, the polis with the Welsh accent giving the commentary seems calm and in control.

Yet once the car stops, it's Keystone Cops time, and incompetent Keystone Cops at that.

The goon with the truncheon can't even make a decent job of smashing the window.

Has no one ever told him to try the door handle?

Even base Rangies probably self lock on the move.
...Even base Rangies probably self lock on the move...

True, but he could have at least tried it - the obvious answer is often the right one.

Sometimes at work we need to trace someone.

There are various ways of doing that, but it's surprising how many folk are still in the phone book.

Funny you should say that I was approached by a senior Detective a few years ago for the current whereabouts of a "felon" - I couldn't possibly tell you I said - tried this ? I added pointing to the phone book and lo and behold he was listed in there....!
192.com
be afraid be very afraid................
Fullchat well summed up.
 Gwent Police Officers removed from duty. - oldnotbold
A small feathered creature tells me there is much, much more than meets the eye to this case, and FC is part of the way there, but only part. Let's just say that his offspring are not as clean as the driven snow, and it was not possible to tell who was driving the Range Rover.
 Gwent Police Officers removed from duty. - oldnotbold
The Mail reported this:

"A court heard yesterday that Mr Whatley was originally pulled over in a country lane in Monmouthshire by traffic police who tried to issue him with a fine for not wearing a seat belt.

But when an officer went round to the passenger side, the car lurched forward and he was knocked over.

Mr Whatley told Caerphilly magistrates court, South Wales, that he then drove off because he thought the matter had been dealt with, felt ‘frail and vulnerable’ and was worried he would suffer another stroke."
...and it was not possible to tell who was driving the Range Rover...

Too right - which makes the actions of Windowcop all the more stupid.

He's put himself at risk by barging in like that.

Colleagues were on hand - or on the bonnet in this case - the situation was contained.

Some effort should have been made to resolve it peacefully.

I'd like to see the Risk Assessment for that tactic !
Clearly there's a fall back plan

(think about it)
 Gwent Police Officers removed from duty. - zippy
I think the police did know who was driving as they had stopped it a number of minutes earlier.
...I think the police did know who was driving...

Makes sense.

Windowcop wouldn't have been quite so keen to put the window in if he thought the car was fully of nasty men who might not take kindly to their property being damaged.
The driver escalated the threat level by presumably driving into the Police Officer and making off. Attitudes and behaviours.
Conflict Resolution Models and all that jazz....!
 Gwent Police Officers removed from duty. - Runfer D'Hills
>> Conflict Resolution Models...

Is that what they used to call a truncheon ?
Latest Forum Posts