Motoring Discussion > Ford Mustang - Mustang 2016 Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Boxsterboy Replies: 7

Ford Mustang - Mustang 2016 - Boxsterboy
On a whim I hired a 6-month old Ford Mustang this week-end. A full-fat GT with the V8. I have to say it was better than I expected in nearly all departments.

Performance. Way quicker than I thought, given it's size and apparent weight. Indeed, genuinely scary at times. Backed up by superb Brembo brakes that could really stop the car well.

Comfort. Easy to get a comfortable driving position, and the suspension too was more forgiving than I thought it would be.

Economy. Over 300 miles which included testing the performance, the computer said I averaged 22 mpg, which I thought was very good for the performance it gave.

Road-holding. Again, better than I was expecting given stereotypical stories one reads about American cars only being good in a straight line. High speed motorway slip roads were dispatched with great confidence.

Interior/ergonomics. This is the one area that needs a lot of work. I was expecting sub-grade plastics (and indeed would accept them given the price of the car), but the impressive touch-screen Synch head unit was a jumble of touch-screen buttons with no coherence and the mechanism for folding the seat backs to enable access to the rear required the seats to be re-set every time, which was a pain.

But overall I was impressed. The car had real character not seen in the more expensive German competition and it's effortless performance and comfort make it a fine GT car, rather than a nimble sports car. I liked it!
 Ford Mustang - Mustang 2016 - Dog
Tasty-looking motor. Available in right-hand drive too:

"Comes with Line Lock which fully applies the front brakes while allowing the rear tyres to spin up under power, letting you achieve smoky burnouts" :)

"There’s currently a 12-month waiting list from the factory and speculators are offering lightly used cars with a £10k premium over list price to take advantage of the model’s popularity".

www.autoexpress.co.uk/Ford/Mustang

Ford Mustang - Mustang 2016 - legacylad
Where did you hire it from please? My nephew, based at Brize who bought my 330 a few months ago, is getting married in January and my brother has mentioned hiring one as the wedding limo.
Was it hard or soft you?
Previous Stangs I have rented in the States were underwhelming, but they were the older models with the 4.0 V6 so mitigating circumstances. Got a spanking new black one a few years ago from Avis in Boston when I took the ex on a leaf peeping tour up to Bar Harbour & back. And prior to that a red one from SF when we cruised the Pacific Highway south then returned inland to stay with friends near Tahoe.
Couldn't see myself owning one in the UK though, but a lovely self indulgent pressie for a few days
 Ford Mustang - Mustang 2016 - Clk Sec
A colleague and I hired a Mustang for a few days while working across the pond in the 60s. It was a most enjoyable experience.
 Ford Mustang - Mustang 2016 - Dog
I tuned and road tested more-than a few Yankee motors in the previous century including Mustangs/Firebirds/Camaros/Impalas/Stingrays etc. etc. etc.

Few of them floated my boat tbh - nice to look at though.

5 series BMW is more my cup o' tea really, yeah.
Yes please. M5 Touring for me, just as long as somebody else is fueling it, paying the insurance. And buying it!
 Ford Mustang - Mustang 2016 - Boxsterboy
>> Where did you hire it from please?
>>

hireacamaro.co.uk

As the name suggests, they have left hand drive Camaros for hire too. A fairly small operation based in Rawreth, just south of Chelmsford in Essex. I think they just have the one right hand drive UK-spec. Mustang at the moment, but it looks the part in red with black stripes and black wheels :-)
Many thanks for the info Boxsterboy. Too far from W Yorks to be viable but good to know
Latest Forum Posts