Motoring Discussion > Dashcam recommendations? Miscellaneous
Thread Author: smokie Replies: 21

Dashcam recommendations? - smokie
As both my daughters have had non-fault incidents this year I'm thinking of getting cheapo dashcams for them as part of the Chrimbo gift-fest.

Anyone got a recommendations? Ideally which don't have to be hard wired, have a reasonable amount of storage, work in day and night and don't cost an arm and a leg. They really don't need to be fancy but they do need to be functional!! There appear to be loads under £20 on eBay, that would be about right for me.

Thanks
 Dashcam recommendations? - TheManWithNoName
When the funds allow and having done some research I will purchase a Nextbase.
 Dashcam recommendations? - Duncan
This bloke seems to be independant.

www.techmoan.com/guide-to-dashcams/

He says the cheapest camera that works is the G1W. Later version is the G1W-CB.

tinyurl.com/jkeg7sr

No, I haven't got one, I just keep thinking about it.
 Dashcam recommendations? - Stuartli
He is an independent reviewer who lives in Wigan. Many of the roads and motorways seen in his videos are very familiar to me...:-)
 Dashcam recommendations? - smokie
Thanks for that link Duncan. Some of them are really expensive, I wonder if they are really worth the extra, for this purpose?

I've taken on board his recommendation for a cheap one though, it's always good to base a purchase on experience, even if it's not your own!

Nothing bought yet though, in case anyone has anything to add...
 Dashcam recommendations? - Crankcase
The way that leads to Techmoan is overseen by The Dark Lord, for once there, you will spend countless hours perusing videos of forgotten 70s audio kit, useless gadgets and shiny flashy things whose only purpose is to divest you of cash. Many with Muppetty epilogues.

Be warned.

I say again. Countless.

Dashcam recommendations? - bathtub tom
I bought one of the cheapest a few years ago. Served its purpose when a van collided with me when I was parked in a motorway service area and the driver denied there was any contact. "Didn't see the dashcam then?" More than sufficient.

I've noticed a couple of other occasions when other motorists have drastically changed their driving style near me. I may be wrong, but I've put it down to my highly visible dashcam. I wonder if one of those 'dashcam fitted' signs on the back window would be a cheaper option?
 Dashcam recommendations? - movilogo
If the accident is my fault and recorded in my dashcam, am I legally obliged to handover the footage to authorities?
 Dashcam recommendations? - Old Navy
Not if it has been "accidentally" deleted.
>> Not if it has been "accidentally" deleted.>>

Could perhaps be interpreted as an admission in itself if it became known.
 Dashcam recommendations? - Bobby
I have a Mobius dashcam, have had for a couple of years and its been good. OK you will struggle on a country road at night but most other times you seem to be able to pick up number plates.

I went for it as it had good reviews from Techmoan, there was good online support in way of firmware updates etc and also it doesnt have a screen so is small and can hide behind my rear view mirror.

Another one with good write ups is the Joovuu www.joovuu-x.com/

Mine is plugged into a cig lighter socket, cable routed round the A pillar and is then forgotten about. I took it out the car last week after witnessing a near head on collision when someone came off a slip road and assumed it was one way and chose the wrong side of the road..... Viewed it on laptop via VLC and got very clear video of the incident including number plates.

But must have been months since I last did this and it would appear to have been recording away with no issues.
 Dashcam recommendations? - Focal Point
I purchased the Nextbase 510g a few months ago.

Works well - when I remember to switch it on. High quality picture when viewed on the PC.

Footnote: the viewing software ("Driving Recorder Player") will work only with an internet connection and it doesn't like my VPN - took me ages to work out that this was the culprit.
Last edited by: Focal Point on Fri 16 Sep 16 at 23:55
>>Viewed it on laptop via VLC and got very clear video of the incident including number plates.>>

Is there no means of attaching a USB cable from your dash cam to the laptop or even just taking out the memory card and using a card reader?
 Dashcam recommendations? - legacylad
If you want to see atrocious driving caught on webcams, just peruse the Telegraph & Argus, Bradfords local rag. The police crackdown is ongoing, and they welcome webcam footage leading to prosecutions
Has to be seen to be believed... TV documentary to follow I believe as previously mentioned.
If I still lived & worked in that part of the world I would have one myself.
>> If you want to see atrocious driving caught on webcams, just peruse the Telegraph &
>> Argus, Bradfords local rag. The police crackdown is ongoing, and they welcome webcam footage leading>> to prosecutions
>> Has to be seen to be believed... TV documentary to follow I believe as previously> mentioned.
>> If I still lived & worked in that part of the world I would have>> one myself.

I am a Southerner. Why is it so bad in Bradford?
 Dashcam recommendations? - legacylad
Really Duncan? Bradford & Keighley are notorious for 'cavalier' driving.
A pair of imbeciles from Bfd locked up yesterday for racing each other, and consequently killing an innocent taxi driver & his passenger.
I have several friends in both the police force & fire service in Bfd and only a tiny fraction of what goes on ever gets prosecuted... Hence the police welcoming webcam videos.
 Dashcam recommendations? - Bobby
Yip that's exactly what you do.
You either just plug the camera into laptop via USB or take out the micro sd card.
As said elsewhere nextbase use a specific software viewer whereas the möbius I think records in avi files and can be viewed with most generic players.
 Dashcam recommendations? - Focal Point
"As said elsewhere nextbase use a specific software viewer whereas the Möbius I think records in avi files and can be viewed with most generic players."

The Nextbase records a sequence of short video files (3 min default setting), which are viewable on any video player (they are MOV format). Playing them on the software provided knits them together into a seamless sequence and also gives a GPS positioning as you play.

You take the micro SD memory card out, insert into an adapter and place into a memory card slot.

BTW - sorry, said it was the "510g"; it is in fact the 402g. (Very tired when I typed it - been up since 4am to fly back from Poland.)
 Dashcam recommendations? - Dog
This looks half-decent:

www.amazon.co.uk/PRANCE-Novatek-Dashcamera-Recorder-G-sensor/dp/B00IPDDAME/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_product_top?ie=UTF8
>> This looks half-decent:
>>
>> www.amazon.co.uk/PRANCE-Novatek-Dashcamera-Recorder-G-sensor/dp/B00IPDDAME/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_product_top?ie=UTF8
>>

Strange?

Didn't I post something v. similar at 13.20 on Thursday 15 Sep?

www.amazon.co.uk/Spy-Tec-G1W-CB-Capacitor-120%C2%B0/dp/B00YZ5G2GC
 Dashcam recommendations? - Dog
You're not wrong there Dunc - the same con-traption in all but name.
 Dashcam recommendations? - BrianByPass
>> Didn't I post something v. similar at 13.20 on Thursday 15 Sep?
>>

One has 120° Wide Angle Lens, the other 140° Wide Angle Lens
Latest Forum Posts