Motoring Discussion > Exchange of Driving Licence Legal Questions
Thread Author: Notdoctorchris Replies: 6

Exchange of Driving Licence - Notdoctorchris
I have a paper driving licence dating back to 1990 which will have to be exchanged for a photocard licence as I have changed my address.
This is inevitably a complicated and confusing process, as anything involving a government body has become these days.
I have form D1 and I know that I must complete section 2 of this with old and new addresses and section 5 giving consent to access my digital passport details.
It seems that I will also have to provide a photograph and, sadly, pay a £20 fee. However, it is not clear whether the photograph has to be signed to verify my identity. This is required if I am not providing an up to date passport. Well, I'm not providing a passport, in that I am not sending my passport in with the paperwork, only giving consent to access passport details.
Fortunately, there are plenty of people who can sign my photo if necessary but I would rather not burden anyone with this task unless absolutely necessary.
Thank you all in anticipation of your advice.
Chris.
 Exchange of Driving Licence - L'escargot
>> This is inevitably a complicated and confusing process,

It was starightforward when I did it.

>> as anything involving a government body has
>> become these days.

What a cynical attitude.
Sorry, snaily, but I spent 25 years working in the NHS before I finally lost my marbles and had to get out.
If any organisation can make simple processes insanely complex then the NHS can!
 Exchange of Driving Licence - L'escargot
I deal with the NHS regulary ~ visits to a consultant routinely every 6 to 8 weeks, as well as one-off tests and visits. It always works OK for me.
 Exchange of Driving Licence - VxFan
All the info is here:

www.direct.gov.uk/en/Motoring/DriverLicensing/NeedANewOrUpdatedLicence/DG_4022091

www.direct.gov.uk/en/Motoring/DriverLicensing/NeedANewOrUpdatedLicence/DG_078281

>> I'm not providing a passport, in that I am not sending my passport in with the paperwork, only giving consent to access passport details.

Having your photo certified
If you’re providing identity documents other than an up-to-date passport, UK travel document or an EC/EEA identity card (apart from Sweden), you must get someone reliable to sign the back of your photo.

Instead of filling in forms and relying on snail mail though, why not do it on-line?

www.direct.gov.uk/en/Motoring/Motoringtransactions/BeforeyouapplyC/DG_066944
www.direct.gov.uk/en/Motoring/Motoringtransactions/BeforeyouapplyA/DG_066954
Last edited by: VxFan on Fri 6 Aug 10 at 10:24
Thank you, VxFan. My initial reading of the DVLA website led me to believe that, as I only had an old paper licence, I would need to send in a photo. However, your link seems to have worked and the photo will be taken from my digital passport.
 Exchange of Driving Licence - Bellboy
nice one Notdoctorchris and i agree with your thinking on govt bodies even if someone else doesnt while he looks at a fluzzie as she checks his blood pressure...............
Latest Forum Posts