Motoring Discussion > Which should I go for Buying / Selling
Thread Author: wotspur Replies: 60

Which should I go for - wotspur
My wife dislikes her Kia Sedona, it's too big, but she does like a larger vehicle having been used to a Scenic for 10 years.
She has considered a Nissan Juke, I've been offered a 1.6 , 62 plate Sept 12 , with just 10,000 on the clock, she was thinking of asking for 7k
Or a Skoda Yeti 2013 with 28k miles but is nearly 10k
Or a Dacia sandero 2014 1.5 20k but 6,500

My thoughts are with the Nissan, but will listen to your opinions on all the above and any further suggestions......many thanks
 Which should I go for - Old Navy
The thread title should be " What should she go for". Get this one wrong and it will be forever your fault!

All three cars mentioned are supermini sized inside, can she live with the carrying capacity or does she need the bigger car she is used to?
 Which should I go for - Bobby
Not sure if its true but I seem to remember when the Juke first came out that it reportedly had less boot room than the Micra?
 Which should I go for - Runfer D'Hills
Juke if she wants a trendy girls car. Yeti if she wants lots of luggage room. Dacia if she's not bothered and just wants practical.
 Which should I go for - diddy1234
why not add a Duster to the list.

that way she would almost keep the practicality of the Sedona for a newer car
 Which should I go for - Roger.
The Juke is seriously ugly.
Our next door neighbours uncouth tramp-stamped wife has one.
It suits her.
 Which should I go for - Dog
>>The Juke is seriously ugly.

Beauty is in the eye of the bee holder.

They look better with black/dark coachwork ... on a dark night :o)
>> They look better with black/dark coachwork
>>

Is coachwork pressed steel with posh paint?
>>Is coachwork pressed steel with posh paint?

"Coachwork" goes with "pre-owned",bodywork goes with used ;)
 Which should I go for - Slidingpillar
"Coachwork" goes with "pre-owned",bodywork goes with used ;)

In terms of car salesmen's spiel that is true, but in fact, there is only one manufacturer left who coachbuilds part of their range. (Hint - based in Pickersleigh Road, Malvern).
An interesting site 4 car enthusiasts: www.morgan-motor.co.uk/mmc/newspages/100years.html
 Which should I go for - Ian (Cape Town)
Juke: Limited luggage space. Very small tank, limited range.
Duster: very poorly put together, from cheap materials.
Expect it to look worse after 6000 miles or so.
The one I've been offered is in white, looks like a mini ambulance, but for 7k it sounds a good deal, but it's her choice not mine !
Last edited by: VxFan on Sat 24 Sep 16 at 05:01
 Which should I go for - Robin O'Reliant
>> why not add a Duster to the list.
>>
>>
Dacia Duster.

Another one for the daft car names thread.
>> why not add a Duster to the list.

It's hard enough to get her doing the hoovering, and in 20 yrs I've never seen her with a Duster.
>>
>> that way she would almost keep the practicality of the Sedona for a newer car
>>

Re what the car looks like really isn't the biggest factor, its reliability and VFM that really matters

>> Re what the car looks like really isn't the biggest factor, its reliability and VFM
>> that really matters
>>

In that case the Sandero every time, basic, tough as old boots, and designed for really bad roads. I rented one in Tenerife some time ago, more than capable on real mountain roads.
Lots of Dusters in France, they seem to like them there. I quite like them too actually. Not sure why. Honest sort of things I'd like to think.
>> Lots of Dusters in France, they seem to like them there. I quite like them
>> too actually. Not sure why. Honest sort of things I'd like to think.
>>

I've always thought you were a man at home with a duster, Runfer. I bet you're handy with a vac too.
I do clean the cars with both items, with, I may say, a certain aplomb. I don't interfere inside the house, wouldn't want to cause offence. Having said all that, when it comes to cleaning the inside of "her" car, it would feel a lot safer if I had a biohazard suit to wear while doing it. I'm also though convinced, on a more positive note, that the cure for many hitherto terminal diseases are to be found cultured in there.
Had mine 6 months now and it hasn't put a foot wrong.
It's a marmite car. you'd either like it or hate it
 Which should I go for - Stuartli
Recall driving one of the original Dusters.

One of the most unmemorable vehicles I'd ever driven at the time.
I have driven both the first version and the revised model.
Not many people know there is a revised version of the Duster (came out last year) and Dacia seemed to have listened to complaints.

Gone is the wind noise above 50 mph due to the roof rails being designed differently.
Electric window controls moved to the doors.
Torque increased to 192 Ft/Lb and VED reduced to £30 a year for the Diesel 2 wheel drive version.
I'd have one if it was the size of vehicle to suit my needs. I quite like the no nonsense approach, the mildly rufty tufty looks and off duty feel of them. Sort of car to buy if you had all the time in the world and an atlas. And a straw hat of course. You'd need one of those.
 Which should I go for - RattleandSmoke
Wouldn't pay £6500 for a 2014 Sandero, too over priced considering how cheap they are new and have seen some discounting on the higher spec models. Out of that list I would go for the Juke at 7k.
 Which should I go for - Avant
It depends why she wants a big car - is it for people? luggage? high seating position? or just a feeling of security?

Our neighbours also have a Juke and love it: Mrs W needs to be sure she can live with the looks, the small boot and the poor rear visibility. I think that particular Juke has too low a mileage, unless you know that the mileage has been mainly long, if occasional, journeys rather than pootling to the shops.

Nissan Note or Toyota Verso perhaps? Or another Scenic if she liked the first one.
She doesn't have much luggage, but 2 teenagers and their friends going to football/dancing/swimming etc.
I appreciate all the comments but been offered a New Sandero
10,095+ paint 495+sensors 225+spare wheel 100+100 for comfort pack........
They'll give a 650 traders discount, but that'll go up to a bit more 1st Oct........so despite the Duke looking more stylish, she'd prefer a new car with all its warranties and as she rarely hose more than 20 miles in an run, I think we'll go for the Sandero........
But wait she's just asked the price difference of the Duster, and the benefits of one over the other, do back yo the drawing board .
Thanks for all your responses
If you are thinking of a new anything get it registered before the April 1st tax changes. Especially if you are looking at a long term car.

www.autoexpress.co.uk/car-news/consumer-news/88361/tax-disc-changes-everything-you-need-to-know-about-uk-road-tax
Last edited by: Old Navy on Sun 25 Sep 16 at 17:32
 Which should I go for - Avant
My guess is that the Sandero may be too small for her needs. Best to see if she can get a good deal on a Duster.
 Which should I go for - legacylad
I'm concerned for Runfer... He didn't mention a Mondeo.
He's gone upmarket, he doesn't reccomend crocs either.
 Which should I go for - PeterS
>> He's gone upmarket, he doesn't reccomend crocs either.
>>

Mondeo has gone upmarket too... vignale.ford.co.uk/en-GB/mondeo/ ;)
I had a good look at the Vignale estate a while back. At around the time it was being launched they had one at the Trafford centre in Manchester on display.

Very well appointed car and will no doubt be an entirely pleasing thing to drive and live with. I suspect they won't do well with them though as the price is too close to other brands which are perceived as more premium.

Pity in a way, as the Fords will be very good indeed, but a combination of consumer perception and the resultant effect on residual values will put many off laying out substantial sums on them.

Probably, if not almost certainly, a very clever purchase second hand though, once the first depreciation free fall has taken place.
Last edited by: Runfer D'Hills on Mon 26 Sep 16 at 09:27
 Which should I go for - Bobby
Thought Runfer was talking the fashion industry there, y'know, people pay more money for a perceived premium product but reality is can get the same quality for cheaper......
You're pretty much right Bobby, people do pay a premium for fashion badges/brands. In some cases the premium can actually be justified by the quality ( try defining 'quality' though and you get into a very complex debate, it means different things to different people ) and on others it can't.

Cars though are different again though aren't they, even if you can see that one does much the same as another for much less, the decision to purchase then becomes muddied by projected residual value. Most of the time when you buy an item of clothing or footwear, you're not planning to sell it on again in a few years, but rather to keep it until it has no further use, purpose or functionality.

So with a car, it's not just about your badge/brand preferences ( prejudices if you prefer ! ) but a taking into account of the preferences of the market and the effect that has on the projected value of your car. Unless you're going to treat it like a pair of shoes which you'll throw away when they are no longer economically repairable.

To be honest ON, I'm not surprised by the latter. Simply awful footwear. On a par with socks n sandals. Talking of which, I'm buying genuine Havaianas again, the €4 flop flips, of which I've had three pairs recently, don't last me a week before they squash down to the width of a rubber band.
I prefer Flojos and Chaco flip flops, I have seen Crocs but not worn them. I wear sandals a lot, what are socks?
 Which should I go for - CGNorwich
I think there should be an upper age limitimposed for wearing sandals, or flip flops with or without out socks. About 35 I think. I would also ban shorts for old men unless the temperature is over 30C ;-)
I was not aware you could buy Chaco flip flops. I have two pairs, bought in CA, which are the puppies privates. Perfect rafting sandals, durable, top quality cushioning sole. Backpacked hundreds of miles in them, although you have to look after your feet if walking in sandals...I use two types of German foot cream when in camp. Prevents cracking & revitalises. Gerwol or something. It's good stuff, available on inter web.
Chaco flip flops are now on my 'to buy' list
Thanks for update

I live in flip flops in warmer climes. And I'm over 35. Age. Not IQ
I bought my Chaco flip flops in TKMaxx, at a fraction of the prices quoted here, about a tenner I think. I use mine as summer slippers around the house.

www.chacos.com/US/en/mens-flip-flops/
>> I think there should be an upper age limitimposed for wearing sandals, or flip flops
>> with or without out socks. About 35 I think. I would also ban shorts for
>> old men unless the temperature is over 30C ;-)
>>
Oi!!

I've been wearing shorts every day since May. I must say I do have the smooth hairless legs of a much younger man and they look quite dashing with a golden tan.

Though I dare say you're speaking as a varicose vein ridden old codger with flabby calves?
>>I've been wearing shorts every day since May

Me too ... May 2015 - all through last winter, even at night when I take the man out to do a wee up a tree.

People round 'ere think I'm strange.

8-)
Not sure that I've worn shorts since I was 12 other than for playing football.
>> Not sure that I've worn shorts since I was 12 other than for playing football.
>>
>>
Once you get used to them it feels strange and restrictive when you get back into longs. They're better if you're out in the rain too, you don't get that soggy leg feeling.
That's more of an age thing though isn't it?
;-)
 Which should I go for - No FM2R
>>Once you get used to them it feels strange and restrictive when you get back into longs.

Agreed. Other than when an activity determines clothes I wear shorts from September to July and longs only for July & August. Long trousers feel weird.
 Which should I go for - sooty123
I think I'd like that, somewhere the climate meant i didn't have to bother wearing long trousers virtually all year round.
>> I think I'd like that

You would. Sandals and shorts 10 months of the year. Bedroom french windows wide open for the same 10 months.

Etc etc.

Its not just that its good, it is that it is predictable months in advance.
> Its not just that its good, it is that it is predictable months in advance.
>>

An annoyance for sure especially this year, tried to plan various outdoor stuff, bbqs etc. Weatherwise it was awful, just rained and rained and rained. Of course the next day/weekend it was lovely and sunny. *sigh*
The detailed weather forecast here is accurate for 10 days.

The weather is, in summary, predictable for the whole year.

I remember when I first got a place in California, a Brit who had already been living there for some time said "never again will the weather unexpectedly affect your life" . Its a significant benefit.

I love the UK very much and I love living there, but the weather is a serious pain in the butt and significantly impacts my enjoyment.
Last edited by: No FM2R on Mon 26 Sep 16 at 22:22
> I love the UK very much and I love living there, but the weather is
>> a serious pain in the butt and significantly impacts my enjoyment.
>>

I'm off a similar thought, some seem to like the unpredictably of the uk weather but i can't say I'm one of them. The weeks/months i spend out of the uk in predictable weather makes things a lot easier. Not long to go to another trip and it'll be a damn sight warmer than the uk. :)
Last edited by: sooty123 on Mon 26 Sep 16 at 22:32
It is that unpredictability that I hate.

the average temperatures, number of days rain,. number of days sun etc. etc. are all perfectly fine. Not as good as some places, not as bad as others, just fine.

But not having the slightest clue what the weather will be the day after tomorrow is verging on the intolerable. Especially as it'll almost certainly be whatever you don't want.

As they say in Devon;

What do you call the first day of sunshine after two days of torrential rain?

Monday.
On the other hand men in shorts always look vaguely ridiculous especially in temperate climes.
Not sure why it looks ridiculous, but they sure are much comfier when it's hot.
>>men in shorts always look vaguely ridiculous

I cannot imagine a situatuon where I would use other people's approval or lack as any kind of criteria as to what I wear. Paid and certain other situations to one side.

Shorts are, to me, more comfortable, more convenient and third party sartorial approval is not required.
Whilst not actually requiring other's approval most of us conform more or less to sartorial norms. I suspect you are no exception and shorts are fairly standard wear in your part of the world A skirt would probably more comfortable and cooler but I guess you probably don't wear one.

I still maintain old men in shorts is a bad bad look.
> I suspect you are no exception

Well you'd be wrong, I think. The way I dress has long been noticeably different, and has from time to time been an issue.

Not that I do anything ridiculous, I just dress how I wish. Unless I'm being paid, then I will usually dress how they wish, should they have an opinion and be paying well.

There is no reason why you should wear something you do not wish to, but not wearing something because other people may not like it seems pretty silly to me.

I don't think I've ever worn a skirt as such, but I've certainly wandered around the world quite a lot wearing a variety of wrap around sheets.

One does what one does, and leaves a need for approval to others.

Until my anti-shorts laws is introduced and suitable enforcement measures are introduced on a global basis you are all free to continue wearing shorts or any other apparel without a permit (apart from baseball caps of course).
>>(apart from baseball caps of course)

Oh absolutely. That's not a matter of freedom of expression, that's a capital offence.
I still maintain old men in shorts is a bad bad look.

Indeed perhaps they should stick to trousers.

tinyurl.com/jreqmxv
Kilts are actually very comfortable summer or winter. Really very practical if hill walking or whatever. Temperature is rarely the most pressing factor in deciding whether to wear one. Midges however... :-(
If anyone is interested, she went for a pre register Renault Captur in jet black from Renault West London, had 5 miles on the clock.
She loves it, as do I , when I get a go in it, our only gripe so far, is the wing mirrors are too small and the seats during a 120 mile journey really aren't amazingly comfortable
Latest Forum Posts