Motoring Discussion > BMW - Trying to buy a new car
Thread Author: Falkirk Bairn Replies: 30

BMW - Trying to buy a new car - Falkirk Bairn
Trying to buy a new car- 2ltr petrol 4WD - once you start down that road the choice is limited unless you want to pay Glass palace prices.

Spotted a 16 reg, 10 miles on clock & thought it be easy but 200 miles away - Major National Chain!

Upfront price advertised, they agreed to match WBAC less £100. No extras was stipulated UPFRONT by me - NO Gap, NO superguard, NO tyre, NO keys..............I then decided to HP it but the figures did not seem right.

I queried & the finance man said he had checked & it was OK.

They had dropped the T/I by £600 & included some £475 superguard & GAP at £900...........I walked even after they said it was their "standard deal" - some £2.000.

Looks like it will need to be Motorpoint again - straight deal - price minus trade-in and no padding
Last edited by: smokie on Mon 26 Sep 16 at 08:02
 BMW - Trying to buy a new car - madf
Major National Chain... tried to hard sell me that carp when I bought the Jazz. Very miffed when I refused...
 BMW - Trying to buy a new car - Bobby
Thought Motorpoint always added some sort of admin fee on top?
And charge you to bring a car from another branch?
 BMW - Trying to buy a new car - mikeyb
Sadly typical of large dealer groups. I've often found them"keen"to just add stuff in, although to be fair there is also an element of financial miss selling where they have to prove they tried to force extra insurance on you to protect you as a consumer in case you ever need to make a claim in the future
 BMW - Trying to buy a new car - No FM2R
It often occurs because they have differing quotas, targets, commission rates and bonuses depending on the product, not just its value.

For example, a Comet salesman will be better off if he reduces the prices of a product by the cost of the insurance and then includes the insurance putting the price as far as you are concerned back to the same point.
 BMW - Trying to buy a new car - sherlock47
a Comet salesman

when did you last visit a Comet store?

>> when did you last visit a Comet store?

Dunno really, but Comet, Currys, PC World, whatever It'll have been in the last 3 or 4 years I'd guess.
 BMW - Trying to buy a new car - Robin O'Reliant
>>
>>
>> Dunno really, but Comet, Currys, PC World, whatever It'll have been in the last 3
>> or 4 years I'd guess.
>>

Comet went bust about ten years ago. My local store were even selling off the office furniture, I just missed out on a nice swivel chair.
 BMW - Trying to buy a new car - rtj70
>> Comet went bust about ten years ago.

No the stores closed down in December 2012. What became of the business after it split from Kingfisher went into administration in November 2012.

Kingfisher split Comet and B&Q from the Kingfisher group in 2003 (and Comet became part of KESA) and then this was sold to a private equity firm in 2011. Finally closed down in December 2012.

Didn't Kingfisher own Woolworths too. At least we still have B&Q and Superdrug.
Last edited by: rtj70 on Mon 26 Sep 16 at 18:38
 BMW - Trying to buy a new car - Bill Payer
>> It often occurs because they have differing quotas, targets, commission rates and bonuses depending on
>> the product, not just its value.
>>
In big dealer groups it's pretty standard that if the salesman doesn't sell a certain amount of finance products then they don't get any commission on the sale of the car.

Hence if you pile in with "I don't want GAP, paint protection etc..." then don't be surprised if they're less than enthusiastic. On the other hand, point at a car and ask "how much a month is that, mate?" and the salesman will turn himself inside out for you.
Motorpoint openly add £100 admin fee, £100 to bring it from another depot - upfront - inwriting
& I have never paid any.
1) Paperwork was not 100% delayed by 1 hour- no admin paid
2) Wrong car delivered & wanted the one I ordered - did not pay as delay was their fault.

Upfront & then not paying is OK by me. They will not walk away from a sale for £100
I got 50 litres fuel as they failed to meet their own deadline.

Hidden in the paperwork & not declared - I walk.
 BMW - Trying to buy a new car - madf
GAP insurance sold by insurer £100
GAP insurance sold by Car Dealer £350..

I act dumb on it all, let them go through their speil and say NO...Takes ages..

BMW - Trying to buy a new car - Manatee
>> Motorpoint openly add £100 admin fee, £100 to bring it from another depot

Have you ever looked at Mercedes cars at Motorpoint? I've been idly wondering whether to consider one. They have lots with "leather", but I suspect they are not upfront when that means Artico, the synthetic looks-like-leather stuff. I'd ring them, but if they were approximate with the truth on the website then I'd not trust them to answer the question accurately.
 BMW - Trying to buy a new car - Bobby
Do Motorpoint still do a lot of import cars with lesser specs than the equivalent U.K. Car?
 BMW - Trying to buy a new car - bathtub tom
>>Have you ever looked at Mercedes cars at Motorpoint? I've been idly wondering whether to consider one. They have lots with "leather", but I suspect they are not upfront when that means Artico

How do you tell the difference?
 BMW - Trying to buy a new car - Runfer D'Hills
Oh heck, I never thought I'd actually find myself typing this, but, the only way to tell without cutting into it is to sniff it. Leather smells like leather. However, sniffing the seats on a used car isn't something I'd really want to rush to do...

:-(
 BMW - Trying to buy a new car - bathtub tom
>> Oh heck, I never thought I'd actually find myself typing this, but, the only way
>> to tell without cutting into it is to sniff it. Leather smells like leather. However,
>> sniffing the seats on a used car isn't something I'd really want to rush to
>> do...

Takes me back to my schoolboy days where, it was alleged, some lads went 'saddle sniffing'. The trick was to run off before you were caught, but caught in the act. A midwife's bike earned bonus points!
 BMW - Trying to buy a new car - Manatee

>> How do you tell the difference?

I'm pretty sure I could spot it if it's like the new one I looked at a few years ago, which had a rather exaggerated and regular grain.

Of course it might be better than leather for all I know. But they still charge extra for leather, and I wouldn't want to take a chance on the Artico and find it put me in mind of Elizabeth Swollocks.
 BMW - Trying to buy a new car - rtj70
And the fake/man-made leather is standard on a lot of Mercedes Benz cars. One reason why my vegan brother had a new C-Clas briefly. Problems with it meant he handed it back for a refund.
 BMW - Trying to buy a new car - PeterS
MB cetainly seems to have gone that way... When I ordered my LEC (5 years ago now :O) the SE came with artico, my Avantgarde came with leather and the Sport came with artico/fake suede with proper leather as an upgrade. Then they dropped the avantgarde... :(
I am not familiar with this artichoke stuff, but if it is so difficult to tell apart from leather, is it a difference that matters? (other than resale value, I guess).
Think our Viano has the fake stuff - it doesnt smell of anything and has worn far to well to be a natural product
 BMW - Trying to buy a new car - Lygonos
Modern car leathers generally have no smell. The 'leather smell' is added afterwards.

The japanese apparently don't like the odour, thus their cars don't have stink added.

>> Modern car leathers generally have no smell. The 'leather smell' is added afterwards.
>>
>> The japanese apparently don't like the odour, thus their cars don't have stink added.
>>
Interesting - didn't know that, but in my Lexus they don't really smell, and a couple of months back at service time they gave me a brand new (2 miles on the clock) IS and that didn't really have much leather smell either - just a hint of that new car smell
 BMW - Trying to buy a new car - Roger.
I prefer cloth to leather for all types of car and house seating. I would hate to pay extra to sit on the shiny stuff.
 BMW - Trying to buy a new car - Boxsterboy
My grandad used to drive Jags. One of my first memories is going in his very early XJ6. Now that really DID smell of leather! Fabulously so.
 BMW - Trying to buy a new car - MD
>> My grandad used to drive Jags. One of my first memories is going in his
>> very early XJ6. Now that really DID smell of leather! Fabulously so.
>>
On a personal note then BB, How old would that make you? I ask because I used to be ferried around in a '72 series 1 Daimler Sovereign in '74/75 as a young chap. Very happy memories and it seemed to go like stink. Bit of a sluggard now compared to the latest stuff..
>>Spotted a 16 reg, 10 miles on clock & thought it be easy but 200 miles away - Major >>National Chain!

I walked away from " the deal" when the finance man padded the invoice with GAP & PAINT PROTECTION+ other goodies totalling some £2000 overall & hid it in the monthly HP figure!

It was £27K then - out of interest I looked today - the car is still there, still 10 miles - now £25,500 - still like it but I could not give them business even with £1500 off after they tried to hoodwink me.

When I sold High Value deals (£100K / year minimum spend) I never tried to hoodwink the customer - I had to go back in 12 months / 3 years / 5 years time & get some more business.

Sometimes the first profit is the best if it satisfies both the seller & the buyer - in my case the dealer was underhand & greedy.
 BMW - Trying to buy a new car - Stuu
I have found that telling the salesman that I have worked in and around the motor trade for 18 years seems to help cut through the BS.

The Toyota dealer that my wife bought her Yaris through was very good, no hard sell of extras and very efficient to deal with.

Whenever someone tries to sell me paint 'protection' I tell them I am a car valeter and they soon back off, that stuff is of limited use which they very well know.

BMW - Trying to buy a new car - Dog
>>I have found that telling the salesman that I have worked in and around the motor trade for 18 years seems to help cut through the BS.

I've done similar with double glazing sales men? .. telling them two of my relatives are 'in the game' (true) and that I know all sales men? are a bunch of conmen so just gimme your best price as I've got Anglian + Everest + Newlight and all the lights coming 'ere this afternoon.

Did I say I don't like sales men? (rellies or not)
 BMW - Trying to buy a new car - Dutchie
I walked away from a deal looking for a car for my daughter.

Nonsense about pain protection and more of this crap talk.Got her a brand new car somewhere else, good salesman fair price.Been around cars to long and you soon smell a rat.
Latest Forum Posts