Motoring Discussion > Diesel pollution tax coming. Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Old Navy Replies: 25

Diesel pollution tax coming. - Old Navy
I recently switched to petrol power, not a bit smug. :-)

www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3899830/Diesel-owners-face-congestion-charge-drive-16-cities-ruling-Government-not-doing-meet-EU-air-pollution-targets.html

Will this eventually reduce diesel car values?
Last edited by: Old Navy on Thu 3 Nov 16 at 12:32
 Diesel pollution tax coming. - sooty123
> Will this eventually reduce diesel car values?

If it makes them more expensive than petrols yes. If not no. For many fleet buyers it's all about the bottom line.
I think it will yes, i think more people who do small miles but have a diesel but will switch to petrol. Although it could well really kick start the mass sales of electric cars.
 Diesel pollution tax coming. - mikeyb
Cant come fast enough. The air quality in cities is often poor - just hang around on a pavement during rush hour and you can really sense the levels of pollution

Without also trying to sound smug Hybrids like mine are ideal tools for city driving
 Diesel pollution tax coming. - PeterS
>>
>> Without also trying to sound smug Hybrids like mine are ideal tools for city driving
>>

Our plug-in hybrid has been a revelation - averages over 100mpg for our kind of use, yet handles long journeys brilliantly too so not just a city car!
 Diesel pollution tax coming. - Crankcase
Hybrids shmybrids. As Carlos Ghosn memorably said, hybrids are like mermaids. You want a fish, you get a woman. You want a woman, you get a fish.

Diesel pollution tax coming. - rtj70
If the sums add up (as in not cost me more per month than say a diesel or petrol alternative) then a plugin hybrid would suite me. For the last few years most of my weekly driving could be done on electric power.

But take next week I might need to get to Dunstable. Looking at options driving is probably the only option so over 320 mile round trip. Try that in most all electric cars.
 Diesel pollution tax coming. - Boxsterboy
>> Cant come fast enough. The air quality in cities is often poor - just hang
>> around on a pavement during rush hour and you can really sense the levels of
>> pollution
>>

I suspect most of that pollution comes from buses and trucks, which will still need to be diesel powered?
 Diesel pollution tax coming. - The Melting Snowman
"Heaven is where the police are British, the cooks are French, the
mechanics German, the lovers Italian and it's all organised by the
Swiss."

...and the diesel engine doesn't exist.
 Diesel pollution tax coming. - Harleyman
>
>> I suspect most of that pollution comes from buses and trucks, which will still need
>> to be diesel powered?
>>

Usually from them sitting at tickover or crawling at low speed because of the plethora of hybrid and electric cars jamming the roads ;)
>> plethora of hybrid and electric cars jamming the roads ;)

I bet some authorities let the electric cars into bus lanes as well!

We have diesel electric buses in Manchester - I bet they make little difference to emissions compared to any other modern diesel bus.

>>
>> I bet some authorities let the electric cars into bus lanes as well!

I don't think I actually have a problem with that. Far better than them running flat in the car lane!
I wonder if the AA (other car rescue insurance companies are available) will have ultra rapid blast chargers to go with their multi fit spare wheels?
Last edited by: Old Navy on Fri 4 Nov 16 at 08:49
>> I wonder if the AA (other car rescue insurance companies are available) will have ultra
>> rapid blast chargers to go with their multi fit spare wheels?

Not likely, no. If you are bonkers enough to run your battery flat such that you need rescuing (it's harder to do than you think, as all the EVs talk to you in a very stern way if you are going to get near), then at the moment they just flatbed you to the nearest charger and leave you to it.

Luckily the two mainstream players don't have a fee for doing that - it's part of the deal, at present. I guess they must have done their sums and realised it hardly ever happens.

I'm driving my diesel at the minute, as the Zoe is in for some attention, and pulling out of work the other day there was a mum and her little girl right by the gates. The little girl was exactly the right height and place for a literal faceful of diesel fumes as I pulled away with a clatter and roar.

Most unpleasant feeling of guilt for me.

Diesel pollution tax coming. - henry k
>>The little girl was exactly the right height and place for a literal faceful of diesel fumes
>> as I pulled away with a clatter and roar.
>>Most unpleasant feeling of guilt for me.

The only diesel vehicle I have ever driven was a three and a half ton removal van for about half an hour.
I certainly pay through the nose for my nine year old petrol car but I enjoy using it
It has always been my choice to buy S/H and drive them til they are scrapped.
Not sure if I am " green" or not. An electric car would fit 95%+ of my motoring needs but I do not intend changing especially as my current car should easily last for my driving days untiI give up my licence.
 Diesel pollution tax coming. - devonite
The trouble is there's hardly any electric cars in the second hand market yet, or I'd have one!
 Diesel pollution tax coming. - NortonES2
We could certainly make use of the BMW i3 (with range extender) for all our usage. Only fear of BMW showrooms and price, not necessarily in that order, put us off. In the meantime we acquired a used very recent Auris hybrid which is very pleasant in traffic, and copes well with hills, here in the High Peak.
 Diesel pollution tax coming. - mikeyb
>> The trouble is there's hardly any electric cars in the second hand market yet, or
>> I'd have one!
>>
>>

616 on Autotrader starting at £790 for a knackered G Whiz :-)

>> 616 on Autotrader starting at £790 for a knackered G Whiz :-)

..and at the other end, 49K today gets you a 2014 Tesla.

And everything in between.

Diesel pollution tax coming. - henry k
>> ..and at the other end, 49K today gets you a 2014 Tesla.
>>
Lots of Teslas around my area. Perhaps having a dealer in Weybridge helps sales

p.s a view of a Tesla sans body.
tinyurl.com/hqauerv
My local Tesla dealer now has the Model X in the showroom. Must take a look sometime soon.

>> Not likely, no. If you are bonkers enough to run your battery flat such that
>> you need rescuing (it's harder to do than you think, as all the EVs talk
>> to you in a very stern way if you are going to get near), then
>> at the moment they just flatbed you to the nearest charger and leave you to
>> it.
>>

With a diesel-powered lorry. Oh, the irony.
>> With a diesel-powered lorry. Oh, the irony.
>>
>>

Well, more oh, the apparent lack of progress in technology, infrastructure and acceptance at this particular point of time such that it's not always easy to see that eventually it's probably likely that large vehicles currently run by soon to be unfashionable fuels will be replaced by others that are quieter and cleaner, probably both at point of use and source, although again it's not always going to turn out as you expect and for all we know they'll either be running on actual moonbeams in fifty years or maybe Russian coal tar manually stoked by a crew of galley serfs on each one, depending in at least some part on results in elections in foreign countries both near and far as well as the personalities that will insist on floating to the top in various powers around the world, but in the meantime won't somebody please think of the children.

But I agree your sentence is shorter.

Last edited by: Crankcase on Fri 4 Nov 16 at 14:45
We have a narrow bit of main road where our council has put a pollution monitoring station. They have also installed traffic lights on the roundabout at the end of it which backs up the traffic past the monitor. I see a hidden agenda!
Last edited by: Old Navy on Fri 4 Nov 16 at 16:53
 Diesel pollution tax coming. - Roger.
I like how a diesel drives as a manual gearbox car.
Only money, low annual mileage and need for an auto puts me in a petrol car.
>> I like how a diesel drives as a manual gearbox car.

Try a turbo petrol auto/DSG car. You might find you like that too.

All my cars since 1999 have had turbos. Initially petrol. Then diesel (BIK taxation) and now petrol again (BIK taxation reasons again).
Last edited by: rtj70 on Fri 4 Nov 16 at 18:56
 Diesel pollution tax coming. - Bromptonaut
>> I like how a diesel drives as a manual gearbox car.

Very rare for you and I to agree but that's exactly my view.
Latest Forum Posts