Motoring Discussion > No-one can escape The Grappler? Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Dog Replies: 14

No-one can escape The Grappler? - Dog
Seems like a good idea, in theory, but how it will perform in practise is another thing:

www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3907694/The-Grappler-invention-help-police-safely-stop-high-speed-chases-revealed-Arizona-inventor-Leonard-Stock.html
 No-one can escape The Grappler? - sherlock47
Surely they have missed a trick with this design. Add on an optional cargo net that can be automatically thrown over the car in front once it has been intercepted. This can then prevent the occupants from exiting and escaping on foot or hijacking another vehicle.
Last edited by: sherlock47 on Sat 5 Nov 16 at 15:06
I just wonder how it will work in action. I mean, the perps are hardly going to let the cops get near them once they cotton on to their new devious device.
 No-one can escape The Grappler? - Old Navy
If the plods get that close it looks like a recipe for a reverse ramming or at least a brake check.
Last edited by: Old Navy on Sat 5 Nov 16 at 16:45
^My thoughts exactly.
 No-one can escape The Grappler? - Cliff Pope
>> If the plods get that close it looks like a recipe for a reverse ramming
>> or at least a brake check.
>>

But unless by so doing the device is damaged, the police would then deploy it?
 No-one can escape The Grappler? - Duncan
It's a brilliant idea.

What could possibly go wrong?
 No-one can escape The Grappler? - Cliff Pope

>> What could possibly go wrong?
>>

It presumably relies on the initial loop snagging on the rear wheel and being pulled forward round the wheel arch and then self-winding? But supposing it gets partly pulled and then slips off, perhaps as the car accelerates? Would mud flaps interfere with its operation?

If it gets pulled off its cradle but fails to catch, the police might then run over their own net?
A net wound round one front wheel at speed and they'd be off the road.
 No-one can escape The Grappler? - Manatee
>> If it gets pulled off its cradle but fails to catch, the police might then
>> run over their own net?

I think the thing as a whole is probably what a petard is.
If these things worked they would have been in use for years. There have been many similar devices over the years.

www.techeblog.com/index.php/tech-gadget/harpoon-car-stops-destroys-speeding-drivers

www.media24by7.com/harpoon-car
 No-one can escape The Grappler? - Shiny
I remember one about 10-15 years ago where a small car was shot off from the police car and was to drive under the target car and deliver a EMP that would damage the target car's electrics and disable it. It was demonstrated on well TV but never heard of it again.
I remember that one.
 No-one can escape The Grappler? - zippy
>>EMP Pulse disabling ECU

I suspect the lawyers got there first. Imagine disabling the ECU, causing the ABS, ESP, seatbelt pre-tensioners, airbags etc. to stop working. The crook then crashes and is seriously injured where they would not have been injured previously. Big lawsuits would follow!
 No-one can escape The Grappler? - Ian (Cape Town)
Hence the 'pursuit authorised' or 'box authorised' that rozzers have to get.
IF the chaps in the patrol car believe that members of the public are in danger, they should be able to use 'necessary force' to stop the miscreant.
Even shooting them.
I know one that does work. On a hot summers day a council team was resurfacing a section of the A83. Someone forgot to add the hardener to the tarmac. When the traffic was allowed onto the resurfaced section the tyres picked up tarmac which filled the wheel arches with obvious results and many angry drivers.

It was decades ago but this is similar but not as thick.

usnews.nbcnews.com/_news/2011/11/23/8976015-gooey-tar-paralyzes-more-than-150-vehicles-in-pa
Last edited by: Old Navy on Sun 6 Nov 16 at 18:29
Latest Forum Posts