Motoring Discussion > Expand and Fart Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Dog Replies: 8

Expand and Fart - Dog
I didn't know it was still around. Does anybuddy still use it when looking for jamjars. I'ma looking to replace my 9 year old scobby doo and stumbled across said publication while checking out CR-V's.

www.exchangeandmart.co.uk/
 Expand and Fart - sooty123
No i thought I'd had closed down. I think most people use ebay, autotrader or PH now.
 Expand and Fart - Dog
>>No i thought I'd had closed down.

Same here. I've had a quick looksee for SUV's but wont bother in future.

PH .. now there's a thought.
 Expand and Fart - Mike Hannon
Fifty years ago I used to work for the grandson of the man who founded E and M.
Almost as many years ago, when my friend and I had a good sideline buying and selling decent hi-fi equipment, one or the other of us would be at the newsagent at 6am on a Thursday morning and we used to travel half the country following up E and M ads. Happy days...
 Expand and Fart - Dog
>>Happy days...

Happy days indeed ... most if not all my cars + 2 vans were sourced via the E & M in the 1970/80's.
I advertised my mobile car tuning business in said publication in 1992, but Daltons Weekly came up, um, trumps in the end.
 Expand and Fart - Ted

Every Thursday in the 80s, Our 'Bible' was bought...in our case it was Autotrader. Me and a mate, a one man taxi firm .....pored over the ' spares and repairs ' ads. We bought many a Viva, Renault 4/5/6 or Lada. I did the mechanicals and MOT, he 'minted the mind off them' and did the marketing. We split the profits. Made a nice few quid for holidays and other things.

Sadly , no 'under 50 quidders' now !
 Expand and Fart - Dulwich Estate II
Memories . . . . .

In the 1970s, a mate and I often picked up the local paper (which came out on a Thursday) from the printers on a Wednesday night. We'd scour the car ads, were obviously first on the phone and did pick up the occasional doer upper and turned them around in a couple of weeks with new MOTs.

This sideline, together with buying at auctions, earned me enough for the deposit on my first flat - happy days indeed.
 Expand and Fart - Ted

I had a biscuit tin...I had tack welded the lid on and cut a 'piggy bank' sized slot in the lid. I used to put all my profits in...notes and coins.

The contents, opened before the Summer hols, took us on a 2 week holiday by the sea in Brittany with our caravan....Including the ferry from Poole to Cherbourg and all the site fees.
 Expand and Fart - Dog
>>I had a biscuit tin...I had tack welded the lid on and cut a 'piggy bank' sized slot in the lid. I used to put all my profits in...notes and coins.

Takes me back to when I was 15 and had a big round tin, probably Roses. I cut a slot in the lid to save up for a 2nd hand Lambretta GT200. I'd put pictures of said scooter all around the tiin to spur me on come payday.

I did indeed purchase the machine eventually - with the help (financial) of my much-older brother.
Latest Forum Posts