Motoring Discussion > TPMS and tyre rotation Miscellaneous
Thread Author: movilogo Replies: 20

TPMS and tyre rotation - movilogo
My Kia dealer says as my car has got TPMS, rotating tyres would require resetting TPMS system which would incur £50 charge :(

So if you do have TPMS do you not rotate tyres? Or not all TPMS are equal?
 TPMS and tyre rotation - rtj70
There's a button to set pressure with a TPMS system. For a TPMS with actual tyre pressure measurement valves... nothing needs to be done.
If tyre pressure is low, the specific tyre symbol is indicated in dashboard. So I know exactly which tyre has got low pressure.

The mechanic tells me that if say NSF becomes OSR, the TPMS system will be confused and the TPMS fault light will be lit in dashboard.

What car do you have?

If Kia are like VAG cars, there's a button or option to reset TPMS to current pressures.
Last edited by: rtj70 on Sun 6 Nov 16 at 19:58
 TPMS and tyre rotation - Old Navy
The reset procedure will depend on whether you have an ABS based wheel rotation speed system or individual pressure sensors on each wheel.

And the car manufacturer.
Last edited by: Old Navy on Sun 6 Nov 16 at 20:03
 TPMS and tyre rotation - Manatee
I'd suggest RTFM.

If the car has pressure measurement in the valves then it may well need telling where the wheel is.

No expensive fancy valves so not a problem on the Roomie. Just move the wheels around, set the desired pressures, and press the button to reset.
>>What car do you have?

Kia Ceed 3 2014 model. It has got individual pressure sensor at each wheel.

There is no user operated button for TPMS.

Last edited by: movilogo on Sun 6 Nov 16 at 20:08
>> It has got individual pressure sensor at each wheel.

I know how the VAG system works. There is a receiver in each wheel arch that reads the pressure of the wheel as it rotates. So swap them around and the car will monitor the wheel that's now there. I suspect the KIA system is similar.

On the VW Phaeton, it can even monitor the pressure of the spare wheel.
 TPMS and tyre rotation - PeterS
Our BMW has a TPMS, that monitors and displays individual tyre pressure and temperatures. It's possible to reset it after inflating the tyres, but I have no idea how it knows which wheel is which, or whether it needs re-coding if the wheels are swapped. As it has wider wheels at the back than the front rotating tyres frint to rear isn't possible, so I may never find out! Unless I choose to have winter tyres fitted ;)
 TPMS and tyre rotation - Tigger
I believe many Kia's are self learning. Try swapping the wheels and see what happens?
 TPMS and tyre rotation - Falkirk Bairn
I know nothing of the KIA system.

The system on my CRV is allied to the ABS system. Rotated the tyres & it indicated a problem after a few miles.

It's an RTFM + button pressing - took ages but in reality about 5 mins if you follow the book- 6 months later now & all is well BUT annoying at the time - Manual @ home & the car was miles away from home.
 TPMS and tyre rotation - jc2
My Ford has TPMS-just push two buittons in car to reset.One selects the system-second resets it.
 TPMS and tyre rotation - Mike H

>> The system on my CRV is allied to the ABS system. Rotated the tyres &
>> it indicated a problem after a few miles.
>>
Our CRV often throws up a false alert after a few kilometres on the motorway. I'm guessing that the tyres heat up and the pressure increases. If it's convenient, I usually pull into a parking area and check that all is well, otherwise I just reset it if the car feels as though it is driving normally. The menu system is such a dog's dinner that I usually have to stop just to get into and out of it, the actual reset takes seconds once you've found it!
 TPMS and tyre rotation - Falkirk Bairn
>>The menu system is such a dog's dinner

CRV - the whole SatNav, radio, telephone, voice control of functions etc etc seems to me to be a collection of bits from many sources "knitted together" BUT not very well knitted.

Read the manual, understood the bits I need and discarded the rest from my mind - hence when TPMS was a problem. The menu structure was only followed by reading the manual line by line.

It might be an age thing BUT many other pieces of electronics I can operate without a manual - they have to, there often isn't one.

TPMS and tyre rotation - Slidingpillar
Two stroke three ways of doing a tyre pressure monitoring system.

1/ Put battery powered monitors inside the wheel that transmit to the central system. Best in terms of functionality, but five years down the line when a battery dies, you'll regret it.

2/ Use the ABS system to count wheel revolutions. Works and not subject to battery life. Flat tyres do more revolutions etc.

3/ Version of 1 that screws into the valve on the outside. Does work, dubious long term life and leaks, not used by any car makers I know of, only accessory use.
>> 1/ Put battery powered monitors inside the wheel that transmit to the central system. Best in terms of functionality, but five years down the line when a battery dies, you'll regret it.

I think mine is this type. Already regretting it :-(

If TPMS does not function not a big deal but this might be an MOT fail or insurers not being happy?

TPMS and tyre rotation - Slidingpillar
If TPMS does not function not a big deal but this might be an MOT fail or insurers not being happy?

An MOT fail, unless (I think) the car pre-dates compulsory fitment.
 TPMS and tyre rotation - spamcan61
>>
>> Read the manual, understood the bits I need and discarded the rest from my mind
>> - hence when TPMS was a problem. The menu structure was only followed by reading
>> the manual line by line.
>>
>> It might be an age thing BUT many other pieces of electronics I can operate
>> without a manual - they have to, there often isn't one.

I think this is becoming an increasing feature/irritation of many everyday products from cars to watches. Like you, I don't expect to have to RTFM juts to do stuff, the menu structure should at least be intuitive enough to find stuff. Unfortunately marketing want products to be crammed with every possible feature (i.e one size fits all), so the UI gets more and more messy. I can put up with this on a smartphone; but in a car, where some features at least can be considered safety critical, it's very poor.

Then there's poor screening out of false alarms, another bugbear of mine, presumably whoever specifies the SW/system doesn't understand or care about the 'boy who cried wolf' situation.
One thing that catches out people with the Honda system is it takes 30 minutes driving (not necessarily continuous) to recalibrate itself after a reset. If the calibration fails for any reason the system will alarm.
 TPMS and tyre rotation - Fullchat
I have the Sportage. If the TPMS light comes on I have to go kicking all the tyres. No indication as to which tyre is giving the issue.
At least you know there may be a problem. It could be worth a tyre kick if you are on a long journey.
Last edited by: Old Navy on Mon 7 Nov 16 at 18:53
Latest Forum Posts