Motoring Discussion > Trolley bus anyone? Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Old Navy Replies: 13

Trolley bus anyone? - Old Navy
Another pollution transfer system.

eandt.theiet.org/content/articles/2016/06/swedens-e-highway-frees-trucks-from-fossil-fuels/
 Trolley bus anyone? - bathtub tom
Looks to me like it picks up +ve and -ve on each pantograph. What happens if it wants to change lane for an obstruction or slower moving vehicle? I suspect one pantograph could bridge both supply wires. IIRC trolley buses had two pivoting poles that could accommodate such movement.
 Trolley bus anyone? - spamcan61
Wow, that has to be one of the most laughably clunky systems ever invented.
 Trolley bus anyone? - tyrednemotional
...they'll be installing rails next to make sure they stay in lane.....
 Trolley bus anyone? - VxFan
April 1st comes round earlier each year.
 Trolley bus anyone? - Manatee
Interesting things, trolleybuses. We had a really good trolleybus system in Huddersfield, which finally stopped in 1968. There were lots of substations to provide the c. 600V DC to the wires, some of them can still be seen.

I don't really know why trams are preferred, I don't doubt there's a good reason. Higher carrying capacity maybe. I'm sure Edinburgh could have wasted less money by using trolleybuses instead!
 Trolley bus anyone? - spamcan61
>>
>> I don't really know why trams are preferred, I don't doubt there's a good reason.
>> Higher carrying capacity maybe. I'm sure Edinburgh could have wasted less money by using trolleybuses
>> instead!
>>

Same here, you would think that trolleybuses would be much less disruptive in terms of building or changing infrastructure, for starters. OK I would think trams are potentially much more energy efficient (steel on steel versus rubber on tarmac) in theory, but I'm not sure how much difference that make sin the grand scheme of things.
Most of Scandinavia runs on hydro power, it makes sense to try and use it in as many ways as possible. It also means they can sell their polluting gas and oil to us. Shame they are down prevailing wind of us and get the acid rain from their exports.
Last edited by: Old Navy on Thu 10 Nov 16 at 13:17
 Trolley bus anyone? - Mike Hannon
Limoges has a wide-ranging trolleybus system that has been in operation (along with trams at first) since the early 1900s. Originally it was hydro-electric powered. The city is now regarded as a world authority on the technology (so the buffs tell me). There have been suggestions in recent years to re-introduce trams, but why bother?
Intriguingly, a couple of kilometres from me is a field that looks as though it was once the beginning of a scrapyard. Right at the front of it is (last time I looked) an ex-Limoges trolleybus. Why would anyone tow it that far to dump it?
 Trolley bus anyone? - Dog
>>Why would anyone tow it that far to dump it?

It could be beings from another planet. They chose to design their pods to blend in but got their siting wrong.

Avez vous noticed these pods trolleybuses in other areas, or strange lights being emitted from your trolleybus pod?
 Trolley bus anyone? - movilogo
With battery technology advancing, it seems old fashioned for road vehicles to pick up electricity via overhead wire. Such system should be used for railways only.

Trolley bus anyone? - commerdriver
>> With battery technology advancing, it seems old fashioned for road vehicles to pick up >> electricity via overhead wire. Such system should be used for railways only.
>>
A little naive surely, we are getting better with battery technology but still way short of powering a city bus for full 18 hour running and fully recharging in between.
I have seen electric buses on park & ride service.
Do you know of a city which is doing electric buses in normal service?
 Trolley bus anyone? - movilogo
tfl.gov.uk/info-for/media/press-releases/2016/september/mayor-unveils-first-fully-electric-bus-routes-for-central-lond

Its not battery technology improving, it's lots and lots of milk float batteries. And the LEZ regulations.
Last edited by: Old Navy on Fri 11 Nov 16 at 16:58
Latest Forum Posts