Motoring Discussion > China - full beam drivers punished by dazzling Miscellaneous
Thread Author: VxFan Replies: 19

China - full beam drivers punished by dazzling - VxFan
Police in southern China are punishing drivers who dazzle other road users with full-beam headlights by making them stare into the lights for a minute.

www.bbc.co.uk/news/blogs-news-from-elsewhere-37847056

Let's hope it catches on here with fog light misusers, but use high powered lasers to shine into their eyes.
 China - full beam drivers punished by dazzling - madf
How about those who shine lase beams at passenger aircraft and their pilots...? :-)
 China - full beam drivers punished by dazzling - Dog
>>but use high powered lasers to shine into their eyes.

That might not be a good idea actually.
 China - full beam drivers punished by dazzling - legacylad
As Cornwall said in KL ( that's King Lear, not Kirkby Lonsdale) '' out, vile jelly''
 China - full beam drivers punished by dazzling - madf
>> >>but use high powered lasers to shine into their eyes.
>>
>> That might not be a good idea actually.
>>

"BA pilot's eye damaged by 'military' laser shone into cockpit at Heathrow"

tinyurl.com/hbdz4za

(Guardian)
 China - full beam drivers punished by dazzling - John Boy
>> >>but use high powered lasers to shine into their eyes.
>>
>> That might not be a good idea actually.
>>
Very true:
tinyurl.com/hrac9lr

China - full beam drivers punished by dazzling - movilogo
>> Let's hope it catches on here with fog light misusers

Do the front fog lights really dazzle nowadays? In most modern cars they are just another lights and being nearer to the ground I don't find them (of oncoming cars) that much irritating compared to full beam headlights.

Rear fog lights do dazzle me though.

>> Do the front fog lights really dazzle nowadays?

They do if the road is wet. Plus the clue is in the name. Fog lights. i.e. for use only when it is foggy (or when visibility is less than 100 mtrs)
 China - full beam drivers punished by dazzling - Crankcase
It's only going to be matter of time, probably not much, before "auto fogs" become a thing. Either switching on and off as visibility changes, or perhaps at least warning in some way they shouldn't be on (or should). Loads of cars now have cameras to detect "stuff", so 100m visibility margins can't be hard to add.

For all I know it's already there, actually, on an S-class or something.

I can switch on front foglamps in my car even when headlight is off. Previously I tought one can't switch on fog lamps without headlamps being on first.

>> I can switch on front foglamps in my car even when headlight is off.

Or are they your DRLs?
Not DRL, proper fog lamps. Since then I observed that it is possible in many other cars.
 China - full beam drivers punished by dazzling - bathtub tom
>> Not DRL, proper fog lamps. Since then I observed that it is possible in many
>> other cars.

My last car, a 2003 Nissan, would let me turn on the fog lamps with just the sidelights on.
 China - full beam drivers punished by dazzling - Cliff Pope
>> I can switch on front foglamps in my car even when headlight is off. Previously
>> I tought one can't switch on fog lamps without headlamps being on first.
>>

I thought that was the whole point of foglights - they replace ordinary headlights.
The theory as I always understood was that fog lights have a very flat cut-off so the beam doesn't simply reflect off the fog but illuminates the road underneath it. Even dipped headlights do cast a higher light which can be annoying and counter-productive in fog.
 China - full beam drivers punished by dazzling - Slidingpillar
Doesn't work for every car, but if you have a broad range of headlight hights on manually adjusted ones, full beam set as low as it will go, is often as good as pukka fog lights. Worth a try, works for Defenders with the factory towing kit.
 China - full beam drivers punished by dazzling - Harleyman
On a slightly different (though related) tack; I'm increasingly seeing cars driving on motorways after dusk with DRL's on but not rear lights.
 China - full beam drivers punished by dazzling - Cliff Pope
>> I'm increasingly seeing cars driving on motorways after
>> dusk with DRL's on but not rear lights.
>>

Why aren't they automatically linked?
Pioneered by Volvo decades ago.
 China - full beam drivers punished by dazzling - CGNorwich
It's easy to forget to switch on lights at dusk in well lit streets. Best to leave it to the car and leave the lightis on "Auto" setting if your car has it.
>> It's easy to forget to switch on lights at dusk in well lit streets

Especially if the instrument binnacle is illuminated as soon as the key is turned. It gives the impression your lights are on as well.
 China - full beam drivers punished by dazzling - henry k
>> >> It's easy to forget to switch on lights at dusk in well lit streets
>>
>> Especially if the instrument binnacle is illuminated as soon as the key is turned.
>> It gives the impression your lights are on as well.
>>
When driving my daughter's Yaris at dusk I was for a short while perplexed why other drivers were flashing their lights? Me? Radar trap ahead ?
Sorry and thanks guys and girls.
Latest Forum Posts