Motoring Discussion > Another insurance query Tax / Insurance / Warranties
Thread Author: smokie Replies: 10

Another insurance query - smokie
Months ago a hired van damaged my daughter's car and the driver drove off. She had a car full of people who witnessed it and she got the registration, and reported it to the the insurer. she initially also had some neck pain which she reported but later dropped the personal injury claim.

She was given a hire car while hers was repaired. She had to pay her excess but was given to understand that she would not end up out of pocket once the claim was settled.

The van hire company knew who had hired the van but said the van had been returned undamaged.

I'm missing the detail of the most recent update but apparently the case is with the MIB for some reason, not sure she knows why, but the insurance company seem to have given up on it.

She has not received back her £300 excess and is pretty angry, as she is out of pocket through no fault of her own. Being a nurse that's quite a lump of money to her...

Does this sound about right or should she be pushing for it back?
Last edited by: smokie on Tue 15 Nov 16 at 23:26
 Another insurance query - bathtub tom
>>he initially also had some neck pain which she
>> reported but later dropped the personal injury claim.

You don't make clear who dropped the initial injury claim.
Daughter did. She did have some pain but it went after a few days so the idea was that taking that out of equation would help things along. (That should have said she, now corrected)
Last edited by: smokie on Tue 15 Nov 16 at 23:26
 Another insurance query - No FM2R
She should be claiming from the Van Rental company and their insurance.

The fact that the vehicle was returned undamaged is neither here nor there, nor relevant even if true. Unless they are saying the accident never took place, and lack of damage is a dodgy level of proof for that.

Was the hire car from the repairer as part of the repair deal or from some claims management company? I ask for two reasons; firstly to make sure she's not exposed to any liability for its cost and secondly because if it is a claim management company then it would be good to know what/if they are pursuing.

Not sure about the MIB, I can only think of obscure reasons for them to be involved.

In the end I'd write to the van rental company, tell them you have a squidrillion witnesses and if they don't pay her excess you are going to issue a summons. 'Spect they'll pay.

You know my email if you need help wording anything.

Last edited by: No FM2R on Tue 15 Nov 16 at 23:42
Thanks Mark, I'll gather some facts and see where it gets me :-)

She reminded me she had no hire car for this accident - that was another one (again, nt her fault - and I believe her!)
The MIB were involved by the solicitor due to personal injury claim which she subsequently dropped.

The solicitor seems to have been less than impressive with his dealings.

She has just called the MIB to see what they were up to (as she got an ambiguous letter from them at the weekend when she given instructions ages ago to drop the injury claim), and they have said they will pursue the no claims refund. Not sure how but we'll see how it progresses.

Thanks for the offer of help, will update this when appropriate.
 Another insurance query - mikeyb
I suspect there is money to be made in personal injury claims, so when your daughter dropped that element the Solicitor lost interest maybe?

Hmmm possibly.
Where did the solicitor come from, instructed by whom? I am just concerned that your daughter might incur some liability from somewhere.

Be careful of the MIB, they might just lose momentum.

So if they are going to pursue the uninsured loss, then your daughter should ask them specifically what they are going to do? She needs to get seriously-a***d pedantic on them.

What will they do? write a letter to the rental company? when? to whom? saying what? what happens if they don't respond? what happens if they respond negatively? etc. etc.

In these things time is not your friend, nor is confusion. How long before her renewal? [because it could be very expensive]
Last edited by: No FM2R on Wed 16 Nov 16 at 12:51
 Another insurance query - BrianByPass

>> The van hire company knew who had hired the van but said the van had
>> been returned undamaged.
>>
>> I'm missing the detail of the most recent update but apparently the case is with
>> the MIB for some reason, not sure she knows why, but the insurance company seem
>> to have given up on it.
>>

Strange. Isn't MIB for "victims of negligent uninsured and/or untraced motorists"?
I guess the "obviously not very good" solicitor assumed that a single denial from the rental company counted as "untraced" . Or he knows something more than we do.
Latest Forum Posts