Motoring Discussion > Current thinking on DPFs? Green Issues
Thread Author: Stuu Replies: 33

Current thinking on DPFs? - Stuu
I am aware that one of the cars I'm looking prob has a DPF, which I know can be trouble in some circumstances - what kind of car use works for them?

Most of my journeys are about 10-15 miles, maybe 20, stop for several hours then the same back again, sometimes several times a day, never more than half an hour in length. Is this likely to be a problem in the long run?
 Current thinking on DPFs? - Bill Payer
Wife'a 2015 Tiguan has one. In normal UK use it never gets anywhere near not enough to passive regen (guys on VW forums monitor the temp).

The dealer and VW UK insist it will. But VW engineers progammed the car to do an active regen at a certain soot loading, or at max 465 miles. She uses the car for for short shopping an picking kids up journeys - typcially 3 to 4 miles each way, but with the engine not going cold between trips. In practice it's regenning about every 250 miles.

The thing that's irritating is there's no indication a regen is happening until you get out of the car and hear the engine fan roaring. If it's interupted it just picks up again next trip but I'd rather let it complete.

I don't know if this is typical of other makes, although I ded see a Jag engineer commenting that their's won't passive regen at motorways speeds.

My main point is, the old thought of taking then for a blast once a week is probably pointless now.
Last edited by: Bill Payer on Sat 19 Nov 16 at 22:52
My feeling on it is that I don't want a car that needs regular exercise outside of what I require of it - that isn't a tool, its a pet and I don't want to have to take it for walkies if I don't use it the 'right' way.
 Current thinking on DPFs? - rtj70
You need to say what cars with DPF you are considering.

When region is needed many now force region if you've pootled around locally and it keeps going after you turn off the ignition.

>> VW engineers progammed the car to do an active regen at a certain soot loading

I think my Passat did that every now and again. It was reliable and comfortable. Current car is a petrol and so that's not an issue. DSG has been fine. Reliable. And nicer inside than an IS300h/IS200t IMO.

You knew when it was doing a region because the fans stayed on to cool it for sometime after the engine was stopped and you'd locked it up. A bit disconcerting. But not my car.

If your mileage will be low then I think petrol or even plugin electric will be best. What about a Leaf?

Now if I was buying something.... maybe a Superb 3.6l V6 4x4 estate?
Last edited by: rtj70 on Sun 20 Nov 16 at 01:30
 Current thinking on DPFs? - Bromptonaut
Both the Berlingo and the Roomster have DPFs.

The Citroen, 1.6HDi/115, was bought new in September 2013 and has now done 55k miles. Current use is Mrs B's twice weekly on average commute from Northampton to Oxford plus other forays to conferences etc. It also sees regular service towing the caravan. Shopping in Towcester or Northampton as well of course and while she was still supply teaching it did local(ish) work trips. Not aware of DPF except very occasionally, perhaps three or four times in all, the cooling fan is on when she arrives home and stays on after shutdown. I believe that behaviour indicates a regen.

Bought the Skoda, EA189 1.9/90, a year ago. It's an 11 plate and had 70k on clock when we acquired it. Done nearly 10k miles since. It's used for my commute, 6 miles each way with 6-9 hours on car park in between usually 3 but currently 4 or 5 times a week. It also gets frequent 100 mile plus leg stretches on social/domestic trips and non caravan holidays. Other than it saying so in the handbook I wouldn't know it had a DPF.
Last edited by: Bromptonaut on Sun 20 Nov 16 at 09:37
>>You need to say what cars with DPF you are considering<<

Kia Optima diesel. I didn't imagine anyone here would own one, so was more asking about general principles.
 Current thinking on DPFs? - Old Navy
Although I have not run a DPF fitted car beyond 50,000 miles I would expect a DPF to become a candidate for replacement at some stage as a long term wear and tear service job.
Last edited by: Old Navy on Sun 20 Nov 16 at 10:18
 Current thinking on DPFs? - Bill Payer
>> Kia Optima diesel.

You've probably already done this, but this Kia forum suggests same process as VW:
www.kiaownersclub.co.uk/forum/optima-dpf-regeneration_topic18056.html

To be honest, the emissions stuff on our Tiguan terrifies - it has Ad Blue and no less than 2 EGR systems. It's always run on Shell V-Power, my thinking is it will recognise my kindness - it's painfully more expensive. However owners do reckon they regen less on V-Power.
Last edited by: Bill Payer on Sun 20 Nov 16 at 10:21
 Current thinking on DPFs? - PeterS

>> I think my Passat did that every now and again. It was reliable and comfortable.
>> Current car is a petrol and so that's not an issue. DSG has been fine.
>> Reliable. And nicer inside than an IS300h/IS200t IMO.
>>

The DSG box in our e-tron has not been completely reliable; though it hasn't let us down the changes did become very jerky and a new mechatronics unit was required. It was off road for a week - faultlessly handled by our dealer, but nonetheless an irritant.

The interior of the A3 is a very nice place to be, though ours is rather highly specc'ed and, when new (we bought it at a year old) had a list price of £40k so I suppose it jolly well should be nice inside! The Avis hire car I had a few weeks in Spain, a 1.6TDi in standard spec was somewhat less pleasant... Still well put together, but the standard cloth seats were far inferior to the part leather/alcantara sports seats in ours, and the omission of pretty much every 'surprise and delight' feature cheapened it. Though I suppose if I hadn't had our e-tron to compare it to I'd have been less picky? Even the lack of chrome trim round the windows made it look a lot cheaper I thought, and the hire car flat black did it no favours.

I too think that diesel has had its day, especially for low mileage users. I'm a big fan of hybrids and fully electric cars now, though cost is an issue. I bought a new car this year - I do around 12k miles a year. I went petrol - £70k + for a Tesla was just too much. I've got a very nice sounding 3 litre turbocharged straight 6 BMW. Despite generating well over 300bhp it's entirely capable of delivering mid to high 30s to the gallon on a decent length journey, and has averaged 31mpg over 4,400 miles. Compared to the sub 300bh 6 cylinder turbocharged diesel in the 535d at 28.2 mph average I think that's amazing :)
 Current thinking on DPFs? - MJM
I’ve had the Citroen C5 for 3 years, now. It’s 2 litre 16 valve HDI automatic with a DPF . Eloys fluid is added automatically to the fuel when the tank is filled.

The usual use of the car was commuting to work and back, about 15 miles each way. There were also a mixture of a few short (sub 5 mile) trips and longer (100 mile plus) trips.

I’ve been retired since March so the regular work commute has gone and the usual regular (3 times a week) trip is now about 10 miles each way. The short and long trips are about the same.

I’ve never been aware of any DPF regen activity at all. The mixture of trips says that logically regens “should” have occurred.

The system works by measuring the pressure drop across the DPF and when it reaches a certain level a regen is triggered automatically.

The car is 9 years old and only has 51000 miles on the clock. I suppose that sooner or later the Eloys tank will need replenishing and the DPF will need replacing or more severe cleaning but so far so good.

The system has also survived being filled with petrol instead of diesel in January this year.

MJM
>> ours is rather highly spec'd ... had a list price of £40k so I suppose it jolly well should be nice

About £9k more than mine but mine doesn't have the hybrid stuff of course. But the saloon was more expensive than the Sportback.

>> I too think that diesel has had its day, especially for low mileage users.

The 1.4T petrol in our A3's is very good and is available in other VAG cars. I'd have it in another car for sure. Although a 3.6l V6 might be nice if I didn't have to worry about mpg. Cylinder deactivation technology can only do so much.

Current thinking on DPFs? - mikeyb

>> I too think that diesel has had its day, especially for low mileage users. I'm
>> a big fan of hybrids and fully electric cars now, though cost is an issue.

I'm completely converted to my hybrid - I like it more than I expected to, and I would need a really good reason to switch back to diesel, in fact Mrs B's car may be the last diesel we have, although the need for a large people carrier for a while probably means we will stick with it for the next couple of years at least.

I may not get quite the same economy, but I'm prepared to accept a small penalty for the serenity in traffic and the use of a cleaner fuel
If I'm still in a company car scheme next year, then the BIK advantages of a plug-in hybrid are of interest. Providing the monthly rental is okay. And yes I'd try to run it mostly on electric.

My current driving includes mostly local so I'd manage okay with a plug-in hybrid in electric mode most of the time. None of the electric plug-ins would be an option due to the other times I need to go much further, possibly without an option to recharge when I get there either (on street parking).

But maybe I'll do something totally different next time. High VED would not bother me. Reliability would. So maybe a 3.6l V6 petrol is better than a 2.0l I4 turbo petrol??
 Current thinking on DPFs? - PeterS
The problem will be finding a 6 cylinder that's not turbocharged. BMW for example have replaced almost all of their 6 cylinder petrol engines with turbocharged 4s, and the remaining 6 cylinder engines are (a) expensive and (b) turbocharged!
In current models I doubt you'd find a 6 cylinder that is not turbo charged. Second hand you could have a Skoda Superb 3.6 4x4. For example.
Last edited by: rtj70 on Sun 20 Nov 16 at 20:28
 Current thinking on DPFs? - legacylad
I had a look for that Skoda 3.6 but could only find them with DSG. That's another option ruled out.
 Current thinking on DPFs? - DP
>> I too think that diesel has had its day, especially for low mileage users. I'm
>> a big fan of hybrids and fully electric cars now, though cost is an issue.
>> I bought a new car this year - I do around 12k miles a year.
>> I went petrol - £70k + for a Tesla was just too much. I've got
>> a very nice sounding 3 litre turbocharged straight 6 BMW. Despite generating well over 300bhp
>> it's entirely capable of delivering mid to high 30s to the gallon on a decent
>> length journey, and has averaged 31mpg over 4,400 miles. Compared to the sub 300bh 6
>> cylinder turbocharged diesel in the 535d at 28.2 mph average I think that's amazing :)
>>

In a nutshell, petrols are getting better and diesels are getting worse, IMHO.

Modern turbo petrol engines are capable of great efficiency. I used SWMBO's Cooper S Convertible this week for a leisurely run to the South coast for a meeting. Brimmed the tank before I left, drove it 107 miles (sticking pretty much to limits but not mimsing) on a mixture of motorway, A roads and through town, brimmed it again when I got back. A genuine door to door 41 mpg (computer reported 43 mpg). It wasn't long ago that you wouldn't expect much more than 25 mpg from anything turbocharged and petrol. Even round the houses, and enjoying the boost, we haven't seen less than 30 from it.

Had a number of four pot diesel saloons and hatchbacks over the last year, mostly from VAG, and not one of them has cracked a genuine 50 mpg average over a tank (although the computers say otherwise)

There is no comparison in terms of response, performance and enjoyment factor between the two engine types.

Last edited by: DP on Fri 25 Nov 16 at 14:50
 Current thinking on DPFs? - commerdriver
>> In a nutshell, petrols are getting better and diesels are getting worse, IMHO.
>>
>> There is no comparison in terms of response, performance and enjoyment factor between the >> two engine types.
> >

Completely disagree, sorry.

Diesel engines, certainly 4 pot 2 litre ones are far better than they used to be I am on my 5th since 1998, total mileage about 400k, and the current VAG one is very responsive, refined and achieves around the 50 mpg on nearly 40k miles so far, some over 50 some under brim to brim, never below 46. Not as economical as the previous BMW which never dropped below 50 mpg on a tankful and often broke 60 over 70k miles, lot of motorway runs but usually quite busy motorway when I had that one, but then the VW is quicker and gets driven harder, it's just that kind of car.

It still depends how you drive them and what sort of driving you do or enjoy, there is still room for a range of opinions. Hardly driven a modern 2 litre petrol, couple of hire cars, good cars but not particularly economical.

Never consciously had a DPF regen, probably a product of the sort of motoring I do.
That BM straight 6 sounds lovely PeterS. In both senses. I still miss my old 330 convertible, but when my P Bonds get lucky in the December draw it'll be a 340 Touring for me. All the toys... HUD, pano roof, HK sound system.
In the meantime, I have yet to hear the DPF regenerating in my 2011 1.6 Tdci Focus. Although I probably only drive 6k miles pa these days, most local journeys are shanks pony. I'm just home from our LDWA group AGM in Kendal, an almost deserted dual carriageway east to the M6, and the A65 equally quiet, so I gave it the beans. No cobwebs anywhere now....on board computer showing minus 6 in places, so I eased off the gas a little!
A beautiful clear sky tonight and it's going to be glorious for anyone walking in the Lake District tomorrow... I'll wander over Smearsett Scar to Austwick for a pint in the Game Cock and catch the bus home late afternoon.
I've opted out and taken the money, and two weeks ago ordered a new M140i. The B58 engine (also used in the 340i) was the primary motivation. It's an absolute cracker. Old school BMW straight six metallic howl with turbo diesel like grunt from pretty much idle. And no perceptible lag whatsoever.

Owners are reporting 40 mpg on the motorway as well, which is staggering for a 335 bhp petrol engine.

Only bummer is I have to wait until sometime around April for delivery, as the only cars in stock were specced to the hilt with guff I didn't want, and the wrong side of £40k as a result. The far more sensible spec I wanted was a factory order only.
 Current thinking on DPFs? - Roger.
How t'other half lives!
I'm up against a brick wall with SWMBO in my wanting to venture up to three grand to change our car!
Man maths meets immovable object.
End of.
What car do you have Roger and what did you want/need to change to? £3k isn't much to change. Do tell... We're interested.

I'd be interested in your experiences in Spain and living and all that. But I'd bore others asking questions.
 Current thinking on DPFs? - Roger.
>> What car do you have Roger and what did you want/need to change to? £3k
>> isn't much to change. Do tell... We're interested.
We have a 02 plate Honda Jazz CVT, purchased with low recorded miles, but only confirmed by VOSA MOTs since the car needed testing. In three and a half years we've put on 15000 miles, so the odometer now reads about 38500 miles.
It has the beginnings of the well documented Jazz CVT judder on take off - OK to live with at present. We've tried the drain, flush and refill route with the correct CVT fluid.
I need an automatic as, with reduced sensitivity in my feet due to quite severe sciatica, my progress with a manual box was, to say the least, reminiscent of a kangaroo.
We are doing a bit more mileage now, as our grandchildren are in school in York (mum & step-dad posted to Northern Ireland).
We are the taxi operators: picking them up and delivering to the airport etc. In fact, next Friday we collect them, drive back home and at sparrow fart start off to the Stena Line Birkenhead to Belfast Ferry, as we are going with them to N.I. for Christmas.
Their luggage is massive, full in the boy's case with computer bits and crumpled clothing.
We ideally could do with more space and as I find a bigger car nicer to drive I've been researching a replacement.
Brick wall time from SWMBO.
" We are not spending money to replace a perfectly good car, particularly with the low mileage we do."
End of discussion.

(BTW, three grand is 50% of our "rainy day" fund!)
Last edited by: Roger. on Sat 10 Dec 16 at 10:46
 Current thinking on DPFs? - Runfer D'Hills
Roof box? Cheap solution to luggage problem.
 Current thinking on DPFs? - sooty123
How full is the car really? Are you having to leave some things behind?

A roof box might be a bit of a faff if you have health problems and the jazz is quite tall to start with. I think a better idea might be a trailer. Its a bit more but you can buy them second hand and sell it on when you are done with it. A tow bar shouldn't be too much to have fitted.

Perhaps this should be in a separate thread?
Last edited by: sooty123 on Sat 10 Dec 16 at 11:03
Not everyone can live with a 1-series - sounds like you will have fun! Personally I'd have gone for the M240i in your shoes. Equally impractical :-)
I need the four doors as it will be the family car at least for the next year or so. While I wouldn't call it spacious, the kids fit comfortably and the boot is a decent size.

Came in significantly cheaper than the Golf GTI I was also looking at. 21% discount achieved without any trouble at all. I've put in a small deposit, the allowance will cover the monthlies, and the loss of company car tax and the MAR relief on the business miles will cover pretty much all the running costs. Apart from my deposit, it's not really costing me anything (love a bit of man maths)

Never had a six pot petrol BMW before and they are fast disappearing from the line up as the engines downsize with every new revision or model. Felt a bit like a last chance.
Sounds nice.... Do tell what colour? I like the dark metallic grey with Coral Red leather. And cheaper than a GTI is very surprising.
I looked at one two years ago but it was too small....I still do lots of DIY & gardening jobs for family & friends and need room to accommodate a large work platform, petrol mower, work bench etc etc
A couple of friends have Octavia estates so that is the minimum size for me really ( although an exception could be made for that 340 Touring)
Shame about my current lack of funds though, but you can't have your cake and eat it. At least my two extended vacation trips to the States last year had a half decent exchange rate so no regrets on that score.
>> Sounds nice.... Do tell what colour? I like the dark metallic grey with Coral Red
>> leather. And cheaper than a GTI is very surprising.

That's the colour scheme I went for. Mineral Grey with the Coral Red leather. The demonstrator was the same, and it really worked for me too. I had the idea of Estoril Blue in my head, but really wanted the red leather, and I'm not sure the two work together. The salesman (who was brilliant) said it's up to you (and the same price / a factory order either way), but the grey/red is much better for resale than blue/red.

I added the Pro Media/Nav, Harman Kardon, heated seats (SWMBO's one condition), rear privacy glass and the auto transmission. It came in almost £2,000 cheaper than the best deal I could find on a Golf GTI with the Performance Pack, DSG, leather and the Dynaudio upgrade. And to be honest, based on the experience I've just had with VW dealers, I'm amazed they sell any cars at all. I'm still waiting for a call to be returned after 3 weeks, and they generally don't seem to care if they sell you a car or not. By contrast, the local BMW dealer was an absolute pleasure to deal with.

I would have loved a 3 Touring, but the numbers didn't stack up, especially once you add the options it really needs to drive and feel right. I tried a 335d M-Sport which was an epic car, but I'm not sold on X-Drive for the 364.5 days a year we don't have snow, and it was eye wateringly expensive once specced how I wanted it. Lovely car though.
 Current thinking on DPFs? - The Melting Snowman
>>Owners are reporting 40 mpg on the motorway as well, which is staggering for a 335 bhp petrol engine.

Not if you awaken those 335 horses....

A lot of powerful engines can be surprisingly economical if you don't use the power. I'm not familiar with BMW engines but on some maker's multi-cylinder engines, the ECU effectively shuts down a couple of cylinders when not needed. I know Chrysler certainly did this on one of their larger engines.

A bloke I once met reckoned his Focus 2.5 would do 35mpg on a gentle run, which to me seems to negate the purpose of buying it. May as well buy the humble 1.6 end get a body kit!
>> >>Owners are reporting 40 mpg on the motorway as well, which is staggering for a
>> 335 bhp petrol engine.
>>
>> Not if you awaken those 335 horses....

You get teens when using the power, 40 on a decent run, and somewhere around 30 as a typical average, if the various forums are to be believed.

The car needs to fulfil three roles for me. First is as a business tool so longer (mostly motorway) runs where I often have the luxury of being able to avoid rush hour traffic. This mileage is reimbursable by my employer, so as long as it gives me mid 30s, I'm going to be OK. It's a lovely smooth, quiet thing on the motorway. In comfort mode in 8th, it's running at less than 2000 RPM, and there's just no noise at all.

The second role is as a family car, and to be honest we don't really do much driving as a family. It's mostly round the houses with the odd trip to my parents 60 miles away, plus the odd day out. If this amounts to more than a few thousand miles a year I'd be amazed, so fuel economy isn't really a big concern. This is probably its weakest role given its size, but it's actually OK. A 3 would have been better, but I couldn't get what I wanted for what I had to spend.

The last role is as a fun car. Something to just get up early on a Sunday morning and go for a thrash in. Something I haven't done since we sold our MX5 in 2005, and I'm really starting to miss. In this case, 15 mpg is OK! :-) And yes, perhaps I have rose tinted the other two to get something that will be almost perfect for this! :-)

My CC (company) is going back in January so I now need to find something cheap and reliable to tide me over for a few months, and then move on at minimal loss. A sub £1000 Focus is the favourite at the moment. Huge choice and very cheap. I've done 10,000 miles in the CC in 7 months and haven't bonded with it at all. It's a good, competent car and I love the styling, but I know I won't give it a second thought when it goes back. Electrical gremlins and rattles are very annoying on a sub year old car as well.
Last edited by: VxFan on Fri 9 Dec 16 at 10:45
Talking of cheap motors, yesterday I sold, via Gumtree, my friends 4x 18" BMW spare wheels & Hankook winter tyres ( as previously, he was offered £2k in p/ex for his 240k '06 X5 which I considered purchasing).
A nice chap arrived in an X reg A2, for which he had only paid £100. I have no idea of mileage, history etc, but all 4 wheels & tyres went in the back and for that kind of money you can't go wrong.
I sold them for £100 and I'm taking 50% commission!!
 Current thinking on DPFs? - Mr Moo
What's the other motor in your family DP? I seem to recall a mk iv Golf GT TDi, but that may have been several years ago now! The BMW sounds lovely. Can't be having six cylinders!!
>> What's the other motor in your family DP? I seem to recall a mk iv
>> Golf GT TDi, but that may have been several years ago now! The BMW sounds
>> lovely. Can't be having six cylinders!!
>>

Oh it's very complicated and still a bit fluid at the moment, but I think we are getting to the end of the chaos.

Yep, well remembered on the Golf. It was a 2003 GT TDI 130 mk4. We bought it in 2008 and sold it last September. SWMBO had run it pretty much as her car for the past few years. In 7 years it never let us down once, but was starting to look and feel its age in a few places. It had a major leak of rainwater into the interior in 2014 which was a total pain to sort out, and required the complete interior to be stripped out of it. That was when we started to consider something newer. Eventually replaced it with a Mini Cooper S convertible which is a bit of a change, but 95% of SWMBO's driving is solo, and she does about 7k a year, so it didn't need to be very practical or economical.

I've been in various company cars over the past couple of years, all pretty practical and sensible. A 320d Touring, an Audi A4 Avant and my current VW CC GT TDI which turned up outside the house on my first day at my current job, and which I've driven ever since. To be honest, it's a nice enough car in most respects, but I've never really got on with it. It's pleasant enough to drive, but you sit too high and too close to the roof lining which makes it feel claustrophobic, and if I'd had a quid for every time me or a passenger has clouted their head on the top of the door opening getting in and out, I could have paid for the thing outright. It's also shockingly badly made. At 19000 miles there are various buzzes and creaks from the dash, and the electrics are glitchy. Parking sensors arming themselves randomly, auto stop start that periodically cuts the engine at lights, then refuses to restart and insists I "start the engine manually". Stupid stuff like that.

So, that's going back at the end of the month, and the M140i is its replacement, but it leaves a gap between the VW going and the BMW arriving. I filled that gap yesterday with a tidy Neptune Green 2002 Focus 2.0 Zetec with 114k on the clock, and complete, mosly Ford main dealer service history to 100k and 10 months MOT for the princely sum of £550. Only a little crease in the offside front wing above the indicator repeater stops me from saying it's mint, but it's very, very clean compared to any other I looked at. I'd forgotten just how lovely these mk1 Focuses are to drive as well.

Oh, and finally there's a 2000 Puma 1.7 that I bought on eBay with a short test and a clutch slipping so badly I had to push it up the dropped kerb onto the drive, for £174 as a project. Put a clutch in it, got it through an MOT and my mate and I have been using it for track days. It's been an absolute blast, and has soaked up everything we've thrown at it. The MOT is up in March though and the advisories on the last one were for what I would imagine now is fairly terminal rot.

Puma realistically will be going to the big scrap pile in the sky in March, and the Focus shortly after the BMW arrives in April, although both SWMBO and I like it so much already that we have already floated the idea of extending its tenure if it proves to be reliable. If it is up to the job, I will use it to keep the mileage sensible on the BMW, and for carting the dogs around.
Last edited by: DP on Mon 12 Dec 16 at 16:56
Latest Forum Posts