Motoring Discussion > The twists and turns of choosing a car Buying / Selling
Thread Author: Stuu Replies: 194

The twists and turns of choosing a car - Stuu
Having ruled out the Lexus, I have tried to be somewhat more open minded about what I wanted or could live with as I haven't been entirely happy with any of the options, being unable to convince myself any one of them is for me.

The Kia ticks almost all boxes on paper, but I don't really want a diesel and having heard of some issues creeping in with DCT boxes in the US, I am distinctly uneasy about the tech, so have ruled it out, despite the warranty.

Today I wandered into a Hyundai dealer to look at an Ioniq and I must say, I did absolutely love it in many ways, even if the spec was a bit lower than the Kia ( no leather seats or heated steering wheel etc ). I asked myself whether I though it was worth £22k and in short, yes, I think so, although the boot is smaller than I would like, so I have resolved to find a more inventive way to pack my work gear which I am sure is possible.

All that said, I have ruled out the Ioniq for a similar reason to the Optima - a lack of faith in the DCT tech, especially in this hybrid which was only launched a month ago, so there could be some teething problems to iron out before they perfect it.

So what was left? Well, I have had the Auris Tourer in the back of my mind for a while and it on paper meets all my needs, although it leaves me somewhat cold as a design. I intend to have a close look at one though because Toyota have gone the CVT box route which I am very comfortable with, they seem to run to big mileages in the old Prius so by this point it has been much refined. They are also relatively cheap used with low miles.

I have however realised that if I wince a bit I can stretch to a current model Prius demo of which there are several around with £4k off list not too far from me - it is still expensive but as a design I find it most compelling, in a space age kind of way, so I will be pitting two Toyota hybrids against each other in the final reckoning. The biggest question will be whether the Prius is worth the extra money and indeed will it seem as attractive in the flesh.

Will report back when I have had a look.
 The twists and turns of choosing a car - Old Navy
Why not get a small van for your valeting business and a car for personal use? My nephew runs his valeting service like this. It means he can work anywhere with a generator, pressure washer, water tanks, and all his valeting clobber in the van. With magnetic signs he can also use the van to advertise his buisiness.
>>Why not get a small van for your valeting business and a car for personal use? <<

Only room to park one car and my kit is so compact these days, a van would be surplus to requirements, nor do I do the volume to justify kitting out a van, arthritis has made 40 hour weeks a thing of the past.
 The twists and turns of choosing a car - Crankcase
Thought you meant a proper Ioniq for a happy moment there, Stuu, but then I realised you meant the version with an engine.
 The twists and turns of choosing a car - NortonES2
Re CVT box. You might be aware that the Toyota has an utterly different design to the belt and pulley type CVT? So it's not so much a refinement of a sometimes troublesome variable pulley system but something quite different and more robust, it seems, by the track record of Toyota and Lexus.
 The twists and turns of choosing a car - MD
Hyundai: A colleague bought a new van of theirs pushing on three years ago now. Fuel is getting in the oil. Hyundai refuse to acknowledge and it is often off of the road.

Another colleague bought a two year old Santa Fe? and the auto box would randomly not work. Hyundai's top techs could not resolve. After MANY visits to the A&E of the local dealer where he bought it he got all of his money back, but not before threatening to plant it in (through) the glass palace. He would have done it and accepted the consequences.

I think sometimes modern metal tries to be too clever.
 The twists and turns of choosing a car - Dog
>>He would have done it and accepted the consequences

A man after me own 'eart.!
 The twists and turns of choosing a car - Falkirk Bairn
>>A man after me own 'eart.!

Many years back a man in Kirkcaldy did just that!

Vauxhall Frontera - paid full list Price, it then went on clearance & it was a pile of rubbish - he had had it for a few months but had had it in for repairs about 1/2 the time.

He was put away for 3 months.
Last edited by: VxFan on Wed 23 Nov 16 at 10:23
 The twists and turns of choosing a car - legacylad
A friend of mine is looking around for a mid sized estate car to replace an older one. I've accompanied him to view 4 different marques to date, he knows very little about cars, but the stuff you get told by the people selling them is quite alarming. Things which are standard fit are 'free' extras ( I suppose they are in a sense) but the insinuation is quite different.
The difference is I have an interest in cars, they are just selling them and might as well be baked beans for all their product knowledge.
I've given up seeking a replacement for the ole Sub - gorn through all the SUV's, was even looking at a 1.8 Civic petrol, albeit with a proper autobox, not that i thing. Maybe it's time to have my bumps felt (Again!)
Last edited by: Dog on Wed 23 Nov 16 at 11:38
 The twists and turns of choosing a car - rtj70
>> Hyundai: A colleague bought a new van of theirs pushing on three years ago now. Fuel is
>> getting in the oil. Hyundai refuse to acknowledge and it is often off of the road.

I wonder if the DPF regen on this works in a similar fashion to Mazda's diesels (maybe all diesels). Diesel is injected into the hot exhaust to increase temperature to burn off the soot in the DPF. Only on the Mazda some diesel ends up in the oil.
 The twists and turns of choosing a car - MD
I'm not too 'up' on this DPF lark, but from what I understand you need to boot it a bit to clear the old cougher!

Trust me, my colleague has no such worries!!!!
 The twists and turns of choosing a car - Runfer D'Hills
Stu, have you ever tried that thing on the HJ site where you plug in criteria to help you choose a car? I did it and it came up with the exact car I have ( which was encouraging ) but it might steer you towards something you've not yet thought of, but which might if nothing else trigger a line of thought. Incidentally, when my wife tried it, it came up with exactly the car she has too !

>>Stu, have you ever tried that thing on the HJ site where you plug in criteria to help you choose a car?<<

Yes, I did actually - it didn't work for me but then what I want is so very specific and I am being extra fussy over the choice as it is unfortunately linked to my mum dying - its ok, a decision has been made pending the appropriate example being located.
 The twists and turns of choosing a car - sooty123
Yes, I did actually - it didn't work for me but then what I want
>> is so very specific and I am being extra fussy over the choice as it
>> is unfortunately linked to my mum dying - its ok, a decision has been made> pending the appropriate example being located.
>>

Do tell.
>>Do tell. <<

When the deal is done I shall post an update, I currently have two salesmen in a fight to the death over trying to price match each other on almost identical cars. It could come down to who gives me the free rubber mats at this rate.
>> I'm not too 'up' on this DPF lark, but from what I understand you need to boot it a bit to clear the old cougher!

And if you don't it will eventually have to do an active regeneration. Some will therefore inject diesel into the exhaust to increase temperature and burn off the particulates. Some of that diesel can end up in the sump.
>> And if you don't it will eventually have to do an active regeneration. Some will
>> therefore inject diesel into the exhaust to increase temperature and burn off the particulates. Some
>> of that diesel can end up in the sump.
>>

And eventually an active regeneration will not work and a replacement will be required. The clue is in the "F" it is a filter.
Gasoline particulate filters (GPF) will have to be adopted to get the particulate numbers associated with DI petrol engines in line with filter equipped diesels. Total (oil Co.) think that in-engine measures are unlikely to be enough. tinyurl.com/zn5z4cn However, not so prone to clogging as DPF due to the higher exhaust temperature apparently. VAG are introducing GPF next year….
Last edited by: NortonES2 on Thu 24 Nov 16 at 09:19
This car shopping has more twists than the plot of EastEnders - just when I thought I had settled on a car, I spot a dealer demo while looking at something else that isn't quite what I want, but close enough and so cheap I had to test drive it - and rather liked it. Hmm.

Thankfully taking my wife gave a slightly different perspective and I am leaning towards it but as yet haven't put pen to paper. Just to demonstrate how far things have shifted, it is an SUV, diesel and manual...
I'm filled-to-the-brim with trepidation about replacing my SUV, tis such a good all rounder and work'orse.
I just know I'd miss it BIG time unless ... it was another sports utility vehicle.
Although I am likely to have a manual version, this SUV can be had with a proper torque converter auto which I have driven - not bad at all, although 6 gears with a torquey diesel engine seems overkill, it could do with just 5.
Quite right to take the time out to ponder Stu. Especially if this to be the once in a lifetime "big" purchase sort of thing?

As an aside, ( and an opportunity to moan about it a bit I suppose ) I'm still puzzled by the current trend towards sitty uppy cars though. Fair enough if someone actually needs a 4x4 with massive wheel articulation for off road use, but in truth my very traditional estate car copes perfectly well with steep unmade tracks every weekend provided you take it steady.

There are more downsides to tall, top heavy cars than ups in my very humble and purely personal opinion. They're usually less fuel efficient, don't handle as well, more difficult to lift/load things into and relatively more expensive to buy than equivalent "normal" height vehicles.

I can't persuade my wife of any of the above mind you, so why would anyone else care or listen!

As some of you will know, I've been in and around the fashion business all my life and sometimes it pulls off the most amazing, if perhaps inadvertent, practical jokes! ( if you don't believe me just let me pop the words "leggings", Ugg boots, and "skinny jeans" into your minds...)

;-)

To be fair chap, the example I am thinking of buying is an all mouth, no trousers SUV, ie 2wd, so you get the high driving position but not the redundant 4x4 system that I would never use.
Apparently they reliably get north of 50 mpg in normal use too so it isn't even thirsty, nor is it expensive to buy in this case, quite the opposite.
Oh look it's absolutely none of my beeswax sort of thing, I genuinely hope you enjoy whatever you buy and the process of choosing it. It was just an opportunity for me to get that old thing off my chest ( again ) ;-)

Have fun with your search.
>>I'm still puzzled by the current trend towards sitty uppy cars

Tis what you get used to. I've always had sitty downy cars 'til I got the Forester 3.5 years ago. When I had the use of a Legacy for the day I felt sort of low down and was glad to get back behind the wheel of my sitty-uppy SUV.

I'm still getting used to these 'ere Timberland Earthkeepers which were delivered on Sunday (Amazon) being I was so used to my CAT Colorados. I'll get there in the end though because the Timberlands are a far better than the CAT's, and twice the price to boot!

I'm still puzzled by the current trend towards sitty uppy cars

A couple of reasons; many like the extra visibility even if it's not really that much more, people find it reassuring.
With an ageing population many find it easier to get in and out of higher cars than low slung cars.
SUV = fashion victims car on stilts.
 The twists and turns of choosing a car - zippy
>> SUV = fashion victims car on stilts.
>>

I have to disagree ON, I have back problems and the higher seats in my SUV really help.

I have just been told today by the quack that I cannot drive a manual car anymore without doing real harm to my ankle (its worn out) and unfortunately SUV automatics are at a real premium cost wise!

Sooty, my wife loves her Qashqai, and in truth I think she'd not rush to go back to a normal height car. She loves sitting up high, but I much prefer my bum to be nearer the road.

Mind you, she is only 5' 2" so maybe being able to see over things is a bit of a novelty !

Dunno.

;-)

One of the things I liked on test drive is that in an SUV you can see over the top of hedges, which if like me you drive down a lot of narrow country lanes can give a few seconds extra notice of oncoming cars.

They aren't all very tall, certainly a lifestyle SUV is nothing like as tall as a Range Rover.
Are you going to let on what the car actually is Stu??

The other thing I like about my SUC (sitty-uppy-car) is the fact I can see the bonnet from the drivers seat.
I hate what I call 'driving the windscreen', which applies to most, um, normal cars.
I'm guessing either a dacia duster or a reanult sitty uppy thing.
>>Are you going to let on what the car actually is Stu??<<

On Saturday aye, the day I sign on the line for whatever I get, which is one of two right now, depending on how keen the salesman is to close the deal.

Got another test drive tomorrow of my second option, then just a case of picking one and pushing a deal on the chose chariot.
>> Sooty, my wife loves her Qashqai, and in truth I think she'd not rush to
>> go back to a normal height car. She loves sitting up high,

yes i remember reading it was particularly popular with women. They really liked the ability to sit up high, and like you say reluctant to go back to a low car.
SUV = A triumph of marketing. However did we manage before they were invented.
>>However did we manage before they were invented.

We had to drive domestic appliances like the Honda Jazz :)
The other thing, and I know it's only pertinent to a minority, but I am one of that minority, and we minorities have to stick together you know, is that getting my mountain bikes on and off the top of an SUV is a right royal pain. Estate cars are so much more user friendly when it comes to howking stuff on and off the roof, or indeed lifting stuff in and out of the boot. Then there's dogs, dogs like a low load lip, well mine does due to his little short legs. He can get into the Qashqai but only if he takes a run at it.

Cycling is mainly an exercise for the lower body so if you were to, say, get yourself a rowing machine, or start lifting weights, you would find that howking stuff on and orf the roof of a SUC is no big deal really.

If you look at this m.flickr.com/#/photos/43576259@N04/20004497053/ fine-but-old chariot, you can see that it is just a high-riding AWD estate car really, with a low lip which is more-than low enough for my two mutts
Last edited by: Dog on Tue 29 Nov 16 at 21:56
 The twists and turns of choosing a car - Lygonos
>> that getting my mountain bikes on and off the top of an SUV is a right royal pain

Mine went in the back of the Shogun when I had the Mitsubishi, but....

...even at 6'5" I had to stand on the rear wheel to be able to wash the middle of the roof.

For that reason my 'drug-dealer' white Shogun was left to get a nice layer of grime all over.
>> We had to drive domestic appliances like the Honda Jazz :)
>>

I would put money on my Jazz having as much if not more internal space as many SUVs, seven foot surfboard and /or a couple of bikes anyone, and I have owned a SUV. I thought it would be a good replacement for an estate car, a mistake not to be repeated!
Last edited by: Old Navy on Tue 29 Nov 16 at 21:13
Tis true, small cars are much larger compared to what they used to be . Compare the 2017 Fiesta to the 1976 jobbie:

www.telegraph.co.uk/cars/news/2017-ford-fiesta-revealed-prices-pictures-specs/
 The twists and turns of choosing a car - Crankcase
Good point Dog. If only it didn't actually look like a 1976 jobbie.
At least it doesn't drive like a '76 jobbie Cc.
Last edited by: Dog on Wed 30 Nov 16 at 07:08
 The twists and turns of choosing a car - HerbyArthur
Now a days, It's a tough task to choose the best automotive for you and your family. If you want to purchase a new car then you have to select it according to your requirement. In recent era many people opt car rental services according to their requirements. Because they are more comfortable with it. We see many twists and turns in people to select a car.
Mk1 Fester had a '4th pedal' on the floor to scoosh the windscreen.

Basically a rubber bulb you pumped with your foot.
 The twists and turns of choosing a car - commerdriver
Early Transits had these too.
From the days before electric washers
Last edited by: commerdriver on Wed 30 Nov 16 at 14:25
Stu, did you consider the Suzuki Vitara?

1.6 petrol 2wd manual delivers over 40mpg in real driving, engine is a decent chain-cam VVT unit, and it has the basic comforts (climate/cruise) for £13,300 new on drivethedeal.com for SV4 (base) spec.

Looks good in non-metallic white.

Honda CRV 1.6 diesel 2wd manual is bigger, does around 50mpg and can be had for £18,900 also from DTD (£900 less if you want the 2.0 petrol version)

Maybe not the greatest looker, but you've driven as many fugly munters as I have so I doubt you'd discriminate ;-)

Last edited by: Lygonos on Wed 30 Nov 16 at 14:44
>>Stu, did you consider the Suzuki Vitara?<<

Yes, quite like it but it is a tad small inside.
 The twists and turns of choosing a car - bathtub tom
>> Mk1 Fester had a '4th pedal' on the floor to scoosh the windscreen.

My MK3 Cortina had one of them with a metal ring around it. Touching the ring gave the wipers a sweep, hit both and you got a wash & wipe.
Floor mounted dip switch anyone?
>> Floor mounted dip switch anyone?
>>
Yep, got one of these guaranteed to confuse young mechanics assisting the MOT tester :-)
 The twists and turns of choosing a car - Ted
>> >> Floor mounted dip switch anyone?
>> >>
>> Yep, got one of these guaranteed to confuse young mechanics assisting the MOT tester :-)
>>
>>Moi aussie.
 The twists and turns of choosing a car - Clk Sec
>> Floor mounted dip switch anyone?
>>

As far as I remember my Wolseley 6/80 had a floor mounted dip switch.
 The twists and turns of choosing a car - The Melting Snowman
Volvo Amazon had one too.

Why do MOT testers always leave the rear seats belts buckled up? After they've tested them, is it really too hard for them to put them back where they were?
 The twists and turns of choosing a car - VxFan
>> Why do MOT testers always leave the rear seats belts buckled up?

As a visual reminder that he (or she) has done that task, and also to indicate to the car's owner they've been checked.
> As a visual reminder that he (or she) has done that task, and also to
>> indicate to the car's owner they've been checked.
>>

I didn't know that, are they all that forgetful? Mind you mine often stay buckled up from one year to the next.
>> Mind you mine often stay buckled up from one year to the next.
>>

Not a bad idea, I do mine up if I have anything heavy in the boot, it might slow it down in an accident. I had a moron on his phone pull out of a side road in front of me a coup!e of days ago. I am sure he thought it was my fault for being there, having right of way, and his lack of observation. Fortunately I know that having right of way means stuff all if you hit something.
Last edited by: Old Navy on Thu 1 Dec 16 at 19:15
 The twists and turns of choosing a car - The Melting Snowman
Makes no sense to me. Why not leave the passenger one buckled up then? The check-list is enough proof that something's been checked. In theory, anyway.
>> Makes no sense to me. Why not leave the passenger one buckled up then? The
>> check-list is enough proof that something's been checked. In theory, anyway.
>>

I don't think there's any real reason for them to do it. It's just a convention thing.
 The twists and turns of choosing a car - mikeyb
I reckon Stuu is going to throw us a curve ball - given his love of the unloved I think the suggestions so far are to main stream
>>I reckon Stuu is going to throw us a curve ball - given his love of the unloved I think the suggestions so far are to main stream

NOT A Kia Soul !!!!!!!!!!!!!!
 The twists and turns of choosing a car - Pat
It will be a CRV !

Pat
>>NOT A Kia Soul !!!!!!!!!!!!!!<<

Give me some credit - it is far more obscure than that, although owners rate it rather highly.
>> >>NOT A Kia Soul !!!!!!!!!!!!!!<<
>>
>> Give me some credit - it is far more obscure than that, although owners rate
>> it rather highly.
>>
>>

Ssangyong Tivoli
>>Ssangyong Tivoli<<

Bigger than that.
>> >>Ssangyong Tivoli<<
>>
>> Bigger than that.
>>

Korrando
Aye that would be it.
I sat in the previous model (as below) at a Ssangyong dealer near Truro in the previous century. Merc diesel engine (based on) back then. Totally different jamjar of course to the one you're getting. Nice car, and I hope you enjoy it.

www.honestjohn.co.uk/carbycar/ssangyong/korando-1997/
>>I sat in the previous model (as below) at a Ssangyong dealer near Truro in the previous century. Merc diesel engine (based on) back then. Totally different jamjar of course to the one you're getting. Nice car, and I hope you enjoy it.<<

I seem to recall they were badged Daewoo at some stage for a while at least, in the late 90's.

For the Forester owner, I would recommend having a spin in a Tivoli XLV which really is a lot better than you might expect, especially the diesel auto which I drove today. An awful lot of car for under £20k and the boot is stupidly big, but the car only slightly taller than a normal hatch - very Forester-ish.
Diesel you say :( ... and does it have a Boxer engine??

I don't do enough miles pa to consider getting a diesel car, even though I was most impressed with a Hyundai Tucson oiler I ran my eyes over recently.
>>Diesel you say :( ... and does it have a Boxer engine??<<

Fraid not, although I hear the Subaru diesels are a bit iffy on the reliability front.

The XLV is only available in diesel, one doesn't pay any more to have it as there is no other choice, the only decision being whether ones car use would risk DPF issues, although I have seen no complaints about it from owners and does seem to affect some cars more than others.
Last edited by: Stuu on Wed 30 Nov 16 at 20:11
>>I hear the Subaru diesels are a bit iffy on the reliability front

So I've heard (read) www.honestjohn.co.uk/carbycar/subaru/forester-2008/?section=good

>>the only decision being whether ones car use would risk DPF issues,

Some diesel-engine with cars appear to do better in that department than others.
Good reports from Civic owners, such as Bobby etc. quite recently.

The twists and turns of choosing a car - RichardW
That's not the car for you Stuu - it's not nearly ugly enough!
I know, but they don't sell the Rodius anymore, well they do but its called a Turismo now and it has had plastic surgery to look bland rather than ugly :-)
- - - Stu, did you consider or test drive one of these: www.honestjohn.co.uk/carbycar/renault/kadjar-2015/
Nice tool: www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201604293479267
 The twists and turns of choosing a car - Roger.
I could live with that Renault despite its silly name.
 The twists and turns of choosing a car - CGNorwich
Yep. wants to an old codger on the driveway.
Had a look at this? I think there is a bigger one due to go on sale soon.

mg.co.uk/gs/
I could live with it too, and I can think of a whole bunch of worse names ... like Ssangyong ;)
Korando is now out, as are all diesels. Back to the drawing board with a larger budget.
What's wrong with it? And the diesels....?
Nothing as such, but I was made an offer I couldn't refuse by Santa.
We 'ope it's not too deer Stu ;)
>>We 'ope it's not too deer Stu ;)<<

Stupidly so, I shall be closing my eyes at the chip & pin so I don't see the amount.
You start out by wanting a premium car for a once in a lifetime type purchase.... and end up looking at SsangYong! You haven't changed have you :-)
>>You haven't changed have you :-) <<

Maybe I have this time, I'm shelling out £27k for something much more special now and no, not a gold plated SsangYong.
Last edited by: Stuu on Thu 1 Dec 16 at 16:57
 The twists and turns of choosing a car - movilogo
>> Having ruled out the Lexus

How about an old Lexus LS430? Unlikely to break down and occasional maintenance can be offset by low purchase price.

Unlike most cars, if you maintain it well it might even appreciate in value come selling time.
It better be a Forester XT.
Sorry no, although it is mainstream. Toyota C-HR.
Toyota C-HR - you had your beer googles on, then?
>>Toyota C-HR - you had your beer googles on, then?<<

I had a look at one today, liked it, not much else I fancy so why not?
 The twists and turns of choosing a car - zippy
There seems to be a trend towards supplying new cars with no options save for the colour, so for example, if one wants a model with satnav or a new safety system then one has to take the leather trim. I am allergic to some leathers so avoid models with it, but cant fit say active cruise control to a more basic model. Its is really annoying.
>>Its really annoying.

It is. I'll need to replace my ancient barge at some stage and there are a number of options I'd like, but unfortunately they come with some that I certainly don't want, such as keyless entry and enormous wheels.
Last edited by: Clk Sec on Fri 2 Dec 16 at 13:23
Very much agree zippy, I have been forced into higher spec models than I want just to get heated seats, although German brands do tend to offer more spec flexibility than the Far East stuff which is very much fixed spec.
>> although German brands do tend to offer more spec flexibility than the Far East stuff

BMW M sport is leather seats - heated is extra, electric is extra -£hundreds for each
Heated mirrors as std - extra to have them electric folding £250.............

BMW/MB/Porsche more flexible extras than can drain thousands from your bank account.

Work colleague of a son spent over £20K in "extras" on a Porsche Cayman!
With the German marques you can take a low spec car and add lots of extras. So you could have cloth seats and add heating for example (maybe not for rear seats in the smaller cars).

Not cost effective if you're going to add all the options of the higher spec car.
I do admire Stu's 'man maths' approach to buying cars - he's not the only chap prone to it:

Hmm, the red one is 5% more spacious and 3% more economical than the blue one.... the blue one has comfier seats and a slight performance advantage... the red one has a chain cam vs a belt cam.... the blue one has slightly better visibility....

... OH LOOK! I'll have that green one!
>>... OH LOOK! I'll have that green one!

Sorry mate, you're too late, the best one went to Tedward.
>>I do admire Stu's 'man maths' approach to buying cars - he's not the only chap prone to it:<<

To be fair, the latest twist was more down to my dad than me, he thinks I am too conservative and wants me to buy something that is a bit fun, told me to live a little.
>>something that is a bit fun, told me to live a little

Forester XT vs Toyota C-HR in the fun stakes?

Foz every time!

You don't get more cap'n'wellies than a Subaru.

Last edited by: Lygonos on Fri 2 Dec 16 at 17:40
>>Foz every time!<<

Yes but heavy on fuel and barely scrapes within budget. Nice car, had a good look at one of those special edition ones in a showroom, but that was £32k and I don't think any car is worth that really.
Compared to the depreciation you will enjoy on any of these cars, the fuel cost differences are virtually negligible ;-)
>>Compared to the depreciation you will enjoy on any of these cars, the fuel cost differences are virtually negligible ;-) <<

Perhaps, I could save even more money by not buying anything, but what is the fun in that?? I just don't want a car with stupendous thirst as I do 15k a year and that extra petrol money will come out of the budget for other things on the 'to do list' - I don't want a Forester enough to sacrifice the money I was going to use to have the driveway done paying for high fuel costs, that's just my personal preference.

>> what is the fun in that??

The most 'fun' car I've had in a very long time was the Suzuki Swift Sport.

It's not a big car but now comes in 5 door variant, easily accommodating baby seat and modest luggage.

Cruise control, dual zone climate, sat nav, handsfree-iPhone jiggery pokery. Slick 6-speed manual - 40+mpg when you want to nanny it, 0-60 in 8s when you want to fanny it.

It's not a rocket ship, but handles superbly and is surprisingly compliant on bumpy roads.

The seats are actually very comfortable and the driving position is excellent (fits me and the missus very nicely - 6'5" lanky git with occasional dodgy back, and 5'1-ish hobbit) - it's not one of these 'bum-scraping-the-tarmac seating positions.

For fun and decent economy it's a bargain at under 14 grand brand new.

I would bet a large chunk of your wedge it is more fun than any SUV to drive (including a Forester).

Probably too small for your needs, but I'm sorely tempted to get a 5-door one in the near future perhaps when they announce the next version which will have the 1.4 turbo engine (when the current Sport came out in 2012, the last of the previous version could be bought for £9,995) - the gaffer's 59-plate FRV auto has just passed 100,000 miles and I'm hoping it will not need replaced for another 4 or 5 years at least so I can get away with a smaller chariot.
>>The most 'fun' car I've had in a very long time was the Suzuki Swift Sport.<<

I don't disagree, but I have done the hot hatch thing, enjoyed it, got over it, now I have a bad back, bad knees, knackered neck and just want something light and easy to drive that wont bankrupt me with thirst or continually need trips to the dealer because the maker thinks of customers as an extension of its development team.

I enjoy being a bit different, I almost always choose the lesser travelled path and if it is inexplicable to others, all the better. My dad had Citroen XMs back in the 90's while all the journos said buy Fords, it was instilled in me at an early age not to follow the heard.
Last edited by: Stuu on Fri 2 Dec 16 at 18:32
>> told me to live a little. <<

Listen to your Dad Stuu, he knows what he's talking about!

Live like there's no tomorrow, and die with no regrets is my mantra.

Pat
Yep, that one looks muntly enough!!!
 The twists and turns of choosing a car - Manatee
I'm surprised the Kia Sportage hasn't been mentioned in that company. It gets reasonable reviews and has been very popular.

A friend of mine bought the old model in 2012 when he retired and thinks highly of it, but to be fair he had only had BMWs before that so the reliability is probably what most impressed him.

Perhaps the Sportage's appeal is diminished by the fact that most people have actually heard of it;)
>>I'm surprised the Kia Sportage hasn't been mentioned in that company

I mentioned the Hyundai Tucson (related) on Wednesday, but I think I got away wivvit.
 The twists and turns of choosing a car - Ted

I'm quite getting into this ' green ' motoring.......It seems a good colour to keep clean. I do like a car I can actually get in without injury. This one, like the Vitara, fills the bill.

I don't know why, but i have difficulty with Yankee cars. My biker pal had a Chrysler 300 Estate and now has a newish Grand Cherokee. My SiL has a Voyager. When I get my botty on the passenger seat of each oh these I have to do all sorts of contortions to get my head in Leaning forward isn't much help as the A post on each curves downwards to match your neck movement ! I'm not huge, just a manly 5'10"in height. I don't know how all these fat Yanks manage it.

Hope you're happy with your new relationship, Stuey. Not my style of car but hey...whatever grooves yer truffles !
>>Hope you're happy with your new relationship, Stuey. Not my style of car but hey...whatever grooves yer truffles !<<

We shall have to see chap, haven't driven it yet but will do on the weekend. My biggest worry is that I would look like a berk in it, I am more cap and wellies than anything remotely fashionable or current, but maybe I would get over it in time, I expect a lot of cars will look similar to it in a few years time, it usually works that way.
>>Perhaps the Sportage's appeal is diminished by the fact that most people have actually heard of it;)<<

More to do with the gearbox than anything else.
Didn't know what that was so just googled it. I think its looks might best be described as "challenging".

You are right, the looks are a bit challenging, but then so was the Nissan Juke when it first came out, now you see them everywhere, not so much.

I guess you get used to anything after a while and anyway you have the benefit of being inside it. :-)
If I do get one, it will be in black, which softens the styling somewhat anyway.
If?

I thought you had plumped for this vehicle. Are you still undecided then?
Of course if, I said further up the thread that I was driving it this weekend - maybe I am old fashioned but I do like a test drive before I buy a car.

There are other options on the table, none quite as challenging though but instead rather dull, if worthy.
I must have missed that bit. I really thought you had decisively and categorically plumped. I look forward to the next instalment.
Not at all, direction only changed yesterday morning after an early morning call from my father and test drives of the C-HR have to be booked such is the demand.
Howls about one of:

www.hewaswatergarage.com/used-cars/audi-a1-1-4-tfsi-competition-line-3dr-st-austell-201610078526570
I cannot remember what your budget was, but if you want to treat yourself to a car with a proper engine, as a once in a lifetime thing, then surely you must consider a BMW straight Six?
My pal had a M235 which he loved, until written off by a wagon ( he replaced if with an A class AMG flying 4WD machine). There's a beaut M235 on Motorpoint @£25k.
Or a slightly more practical M135.
Obviously I'm very biased after living with a faultless 330 for several years. Sorry.
I'm my own worst enemy.... £21k gets you an M135 from Motorpoint, very practical 5 door auto, gorgeous Oyster leather in my favourite Estoril Blue.
Just off to check my Dec P Bond numbers...
Kia's indeed. Pah.
 The twists and turns of choosing a car - PeterS
>> I'm my own worst enemy.... £21k gets you an M135 from Motorpoint, very practical 5
>> door auto, gorgeous Oyster leather in my favourite Estoril Blue.
>> Just off to check my Dec P Bond numbers...
>> Kia's indeed. Pah.
>>

An M135i in estoril blue with oyster leather is certainly a very nice car, and available new (now in M140i form) with 20% plus discounts. But it's not a convertible. Which is why I 'bought' this earlier this year...fabulous performance for the money :)

i1296.photobucket.com/albums/ag18/C4P_PeterS/BMW%20M235i/image_zpst3kxmhkb.jpeg

And yes, the paint quality is appalling compared to the Audi, and the interior likewise a disapointment. But the pops and crackles from the exhaust, and the performance, make up for ut ;)

Last edited by: PeterS on Sat 3 Dec 16 at 01:15
>>, as a once in a lifetime thing, then surely you must consider a BMW straight Six?<<

Poor paint quality and corrosion prone alloys, coupled with snooty middle class car salesmen - not the stuff of my dreams I have to say, each to their own :-)
No corrosion whatsoever on my '04 330 alloys, and superb paintwork. Hand washed once a month, with Autoglym wax n polish every Autumn and Spring.
The lady I bought it from, who lived on the outskirts of Sheffield, was delightful.
I never buy from garages so cannot comment on the sales personnel
Maybe BMW s of that era were just better quality. Wouldn't be surprised if sadly that were the case. If I could find a 10yo 330 Touring, either 3 or 5 series with pano roof I would be seriously tempted.
>> You are right, the looks are a bit challenging, but then so was the Nissan
>> Juke when it first came out, now you see them everywhere, not so much.
>>
I, privately en famille, call the woman next door, (who drives one) a "Juke" 'cos she is a nasty, ugly, piece of work :-)
Stu started out by wanting to buy a premium car from his mother's legacy etc. and getting something that satisfies that is what he should go for.

Regardless of the actual amount that is not in my opinion a Chinese built MG or for that matter a Ssangyong. I am not having a go at either.

I'm not sure the original remit was a Honda CR-V either.

Go and get something like a BMW 5 Series estate, E-Class Merc estate or keep it British and go for an XF Shooting Brake.

EDIT: Don't think about what you want. Think about what she would want you driving. Unless that's a tiny Asian built car ;-)
Last edited by: rtj70 on Sat 3 Dec 16 at 02:10
>> getting something that satisfies that is what he should go for.<<

That is absolutely true, but it should be noted that what I find satisfying in a car is not ultimate handling or a prestige badge, both of those have no meaning for me at all, hence my desire for premium German brands is non-existent - it isn't like they are alien to me, I spend much of my working life around prestige cars. A customer of mine who owns an £80k Merc said the other day that the best car he has owned was a Fiat 500, although not because it was well built ( it is literally falling apart ).
When's your toyota test drive stu, today?
>>When's your toyota test drive stu, today? <<

Why, you want to come too? We have a seat free...
No good thanks, just trying to keep up with the twists and turns ;)
Stuu, have fun this weekend kicking tyres. I sincerely hope you find something that fits your requirements.
>>Stuu, have fun this weekend kicking tyres. I sincerely hope you find something that fits your requirements <<

I have narrowed it down to perhaps three cars now, all fairly similar and it might come down to which is available as a well discounted demo - I just saw one of them has just had the price slashed £2k which makes it far more interesting than it was. We shall see.
£4k off a Subaru XV. Interesting proposition, even if it isn't a Forester.
>>£4k off a Subaru XV. Interesting proposition, even if it isn't a Forester.

Nice though!
I told him that I like the cars very much but the purchase price would have to be low enough to offset the higher running costs over ten years, so about £19,500 would do it. He said he will have a ponder and get back to me :-)
Sounds like a done deal then, is it a diesel auto?
>>Sounds like a done deal then, is it a diesel auto?<<

Not done as yet, depends how the other cars drive as money is not the only consideration and I will choose the car I like the most, then seek the best deal.

Petrol CVT.
>> I will choose the car I like the most,

When I bought my Forester, I'd never driven one before, it's just that I had decided I wanted an AWD SUV.

I considered the Rav4, CR-V, X-Trail, even the Freelander!! .. it was corax who no longer posts on this forum, who got me interested in the Scoobs, although I did consider the Forester some 17 years ago, but settled on a diesel auto Disco for c£20k, and soon decided I didn't really need something as big as that, so I sold it and bought an old Saab 900 :)

I drove from mid Cornwall to Havant, Hants to check the Forester out, and ya know, as soon as I sat in it I knew it was for me. The dealer planned to let me drive it for quite some distance, inc. M ways, but after just a couple of miles I pulled over and said this'll do for me guvnor.

The twists and turns of choosing a car - Mapmaker
>>a Subaru XV

That sounds like a sensible choice. ;)

HJ says: "But there is one very important caveat to these prices and that's Subaru's recently-introduced ETCo (Everything Taken Care of) package. It's a masterstroke that transforms the XV from an also-ran to a possible contender - depending on how you value the benefits that are on offer.

This outstanding package offers buyers minor dent and scratch repairs, alloy wheel repairs, monthly wash, annual full valet, lost keys replacement, service collection and delivery, annual wheel alignment check, first MoT cover (and contribution to repairs), accident management service, insurance excess cover contribution and winter wheel and tyre storage. And all for three years."
Choice made, rare car although not especially interesting to the petrolhead.

Toyota Prius Plus Icon, factory order so nearly 4 month wait for build/delivery from Japan, but very happy with the choice.

My wife couldnt stand the C-HR so we didnt even go for a test drive and the sensible car won out, although it has more than enough toys for me - favoirite is the HUD.

Not cheap but ticks every box I had and is strangely exclusive, especially in the chosen colour which hasnt been out long, so it will make a Korando look commonplace.
I'll go to the foot of our stairs. Or I would if it wasn't a bunglyhole.

Good choice.
How was it to drive? Pistonheads site has quite a few users of Prius:) I take it the new colour is the red? Very striking IMHO.
Drives well, comfy, easy, stress-free, exactly what I want in a motor.

The Prius Plus is the 7 seater, not the new Prius hatchback - much of the same tech but bigger boot and higher driving position - most people would mistake it for a Verso from a distance.

The colour is Sienna Bronze - this colour and this model, just not Excel spec:

www.buyyourcar.co.uk/used-car/adv/toyota/prius/mtz_62004_39990345
The CVT-e is an amazing gadget. Makes traffic so easy to negotiate. Snag is having to keep up the concentration in the absence of cortisol. Colour good. Will take a look at the CH-R next week when the Auris hybrid is in for service (under 10k) but SWMBO has a phobic dislike of "big" cars despite having a Passat and a big old Volvo in the past! And there is a budgetary constraint…..
It reminds me of my coarse fishing days: barbelcatchersclub.co.uk/

Interesting choice - its on my list for a possible replacement for the Merc when we no longer need 8 seats. In reality we rarely need 8 now, but I think we are still a year or so away.

I love the CVT in my Lexus - I know it draws many critics but for my driving style its fine, and even with Mrs B's heavy footed driving style its still good. In traffic the hybrid drive train is very relaxing, and general consensus is that they are very reliable - given the number sold its difficult to find many moans on the internet
Would a hybrid Ioniq been a better bet? Better warranty for sure.
>>Would a hybrid Ioniq been a better bet? Better warranty for sure.<<

No, DCT gearbox, which I didn't want. Not sure the warranty is much better, apart from unlimited miles which would only be relevant if you do 20k a year, which I don't.

Given the length of time Toyota have been making hybrids and the reliability record of those components, I am not sure the warranty will be needed anyway, plenty of reports of trouble-free starship mileages as they are frequently bought as taxis, so they are well tested.
I had a Prius hire car for 2 weeks several years ago in USA. Kindly paid 4 by friends after I did some free fencing work. I liked it & I imagine they have improved lots since. Probably not enough zoom zoom for me but something to consider when I grow up
I got the fast cars out of my system years ago. Working in the motor trade from 18 I was driving stupidly fast cars, stupidly fast but the novelty wore off and at 36 my ideal cars tend to be people carriers as I like the space, high seating and airy interiors.
My fave is the newest Voyager but obviously no frugal petrol one is available, so I went for the nearest car with similar attributes. I guess you could say I had my mid-life crisis at 18-19 and now my choices depend largely on comfort and my back/neck pain, which make getting in and out of low-slung cars uncomfortable. I banged my head getting into the C-HR which didn't bode well!
 The twists and turns of choosing a car - Bill Payer
>> Choice made, rare car although not especially interesting to the petrolhead.
>>
>> Toyota Prius Plus Icon, factory order so nearly 4 month wait for build/delivery from Japan,
>> but very happy with the choice.
>>

I have to say I'd never heard of the Prius Plus before, and I've been vaguely looking at 7 seaters as my wife thinks we need on as we gain grandchildren - although I don't think they can generally be carried in the back anyway.

>>I have to say I'd never heard of the Prius Plus before <<

You are not the only one. The salesman said to me that Toyota doesn't really promote the model, but they sell well in London to taxi firms.

Toyota also do the Verso 7 seater, my sister just bought one, which Toyota don't really promote either.

Interesting comment the salesman made - said Toyota aren't really investing in diesel at all and their diesels are really only in the range for fleet buyers, especially now they are developing more muscular small capacity petrol units alongside the hybrids - predicted that in 5 years time diesel may be phased out from their range completely except on the Hilux/Landcruiser.
Often travelled in one. You wouldn't want to travel in the back seat if you could avoid it; it's a bit like sitting on the tarmac behind the car...
The twists continue. A lorry reversed into the Charade today... Happy Christmas me :-/
Bad is it?
Ironically no, just some paint and possible a headlight as the handbrake didn't hold it so it was just pushed back 4 ft, but I could do without the hassle all the same.

Whether they write it off remains to be seen - book price is maybe £500-600 and hire car cost is £60 a day, plus £80 for delivery, then the actual bodywork on top of that, so it could quickly go that way.
> Whether they write it off remains to be seen - book price is maybe £500-600
>> and hire car cost is £60 a day, plus £80 for delivery, then the actual
>> bodywork on top of that, so it could quickly go that way.
>>

I was in a similar situation a year or two ago, luckily I could do without the hire car, meaning that the car wasn't written off (i think).
Last edited by: sooty123 on Fri 16 Dec 16 at 17:23
 The twists and turns of choosing a car - Boxsterboy
>> Ironically no, just some paint and possible a headlight
>>

Then why claim?
>>Then why claim?<<

Because I don't wish to pay for the repair myself, obviously...
Admiral? Sounds like the same hire costs as my son's. They wrote off his Panda and gave him £1500 odd; the damage was to two doors.
>>Admiral? Sounds like the same hire costs as my son's <<

No, hire car coming from some outfit called Auxillis which is a new one on me, although the chap I spoke to said they used to go under another name which I had vaguely heard of.

Thus far it appears they will look to repair it, but I guess it will depend on the estimate from the repairer which wont be looking at the car until the new year now.
>> >>Admiral? Sounds like the same hire costs as my son's <<
>>
>> No, hire car coming from some outfit called Auxillis

Yep, that's the one. Owned by Admiral. Formerly Albany. A claims management outfit. Admiral and probably Elephant which is a subsidiary will refer all their no-fault claims to them to sting the third party insurer with credit hire charges and personal injury claims. Have they asked you how bad your whiplash is yet?

£60 a day sounded almost reasonable until I realised it is £1,800 a month for an Aygo. My son's replacement Note from Ling is less than £5 a day, albeit on a three year contract hire with no maintenance.
>>Yep, that's the one. Owned by Admiral<<

Ah, interesting, I'm not insured by Admiral or associated brands so they must be offering themselves up to rival firms too, although with the high car charges at the rates they are, makes sense.

No whiplash claim really possible, unless you can get it while standing 30ft away from the car, but I think that might be taking things a little far...

>> No whiplash claim really possible, unless you can get it while standing 30ft away from
>> the car, but I think that might be taking things a little far...

Wouldn't stop some people!
>>No whiplash claim really possible

What about PTSD? - Post Truck Striking Daihatsu

Standing 30 foot away from his beloved Daihatsu - the trauma!
 The twists and turns of choosing a car - VxFan
>> A lorry reversed into the Charade today
>> Whether they write it off remains to be seen. just some paint and possible a headlight.

Have you asked the lorry driver, or his company if they'd like to pay for the damage to your car without having to go through insurance companies?

Quite often a cash quoted repair is cheaper than an insurance one. It also saves your car from being written off and the hassle of sourcing a replacement.
>>Have you asked the lorry driver, or his company if they'd like to pay for the damage to your car without having to go through insurance companies?<<

Yes, the company boss rang me and offered £50.
Yes, the company boss rang me and offered £50.
>>

How very generous ;)
>>How very generous ;)<<

If he had said £200 I would have agreed, but he went in at the cheeky end and his premiums will reflect that at renewal I guess, his choice.
He's lying Stu....call his bluff.

Call him tomorrow and offer to take the vehicle to a place of HIS choice for an estimate for repair if he will pay it.

He will snap your hand off because he certainly won't put that through his insurance.

Pat
Why, when I tell someone I can't do texting do they keep sending me more and more messages?

Have I become invisible or do people only read what they want to read?

I can type, I can email but I don't, seriously don't, do texting yet still I get long text messages asking me questions which require long answers.

The lorry owners excess will be far above £500.

Pat
>> I can type, I can email but I don't, seriously don't, do texting yet still
>> I get long text messages asking me questions which require long answers.

Perhaps they know but, although they've sent the question as text, don't expect the answer to be in a text?
So, these are people I don't have email addresses for and I should be bothered to pick up the phone and call them with answers?

Sorry, as far as I'm concerned it doesn't work like that!

Pat
Ah right.
 The twists and turns of choosing a car - Duncan
>> Why, when I tell someone I can't do texting do they keep sending me more
>> and more messages?

Where has this come from? Who mentioned texting?

Or have I not been paying attention again?
>> Where has this come from? Who mentioned texting?

Who indeed...
Keep up you two, it's called thread drift!

Pat
I got lost a bit with the texting thing, even though I may be to blame despite not having text anyone :-/

I hate technology, more trouble than its worth most of the time.
>> Keep up you two, it's called thread drift!
>>
>>

You have to weave it into the thread though ;)
You're okay I take it, so what's the problem??

Always look on the bright side of life. de de, de de, de de de de...
>> Always look on the bright side of life. de de, de de, de de de de...

And it was the Charade and not your new car on order. I can see how this is going to be a problem for you - you can't run your business without a car but getting a hire car whilst yours is fixed pushes the costs too high and they simply write off the Charade.
>>And it was the Charade and not your new car on order. I can see how this is going to be a problem for you - you can't run your business without a car but getting a hire car whilst yours is fixed pushes the costs too high and they simply write off the Charade<<

That's about the size of it, but what happens, happens, I can work with either outcome.
Your attitude is the right one - nothing you can do to change how this will pan out.
 The twists and turns of choosing a car - Bobby
I would be staggered if an insurance company undertook repairs to a £500 car
>>I would be staggered if an insurance company undertook repairs to a £500 car<<

Me neither, but that is my valuation - when my last Charade was written off I got £1800 for it despite having paid £1995 full retail for it a year earlier, which I thought was astonishingly high, so I have no idea what they would pay out on this one in the current market.
As you'll be claiming from the other party, don't forget to add on the loading to your premium for the next 3 (?) years.
>>As you'll be claiming from the other party, don't forget to add on the loading to your premium for the next 3 (?) years.<<

I have had 3 no fault claims in the last 14 years, the premium has never gone up the next year and I have been with the same insurer through all those claims. Guess it depends the insurer, but mine has never penalised me.
Guess it depends the insurer, but mine has never penalised me.

Very much so. Admiral and its Group companies are fairly notorious for loading premiums after no fault claims and indeed where incidents have been advised but no claim made. Some companies will load after two or three such claims or incidents and some don't at all - typically the more expensive "traditional" companies like Aviva or NFU Mutual
I am with one of the Direct Line group insurers and have been for over a decade now. They don't hike premiums for no fault claims and the renewals are consistently cheaper than anyone else ( I check every year ). I guess their business model is customer retention orientated.
>> Guess it depends the insurer, but mine has never penalised me.
>>
>> Very much so. Admiral and its Group companies are fairly notorious for loading premiums after
>> no fault claims and indeed where incidents have been advised but no claim made.
>>
We had the weird situation with the Admiral group about 8 years ago when we were with Elephant and my daughter had a no fault no cost claim when she was rear ended. Elephant tried to put the price up on renewal, we walked and before we had completed the new quote from the alternative insurer, we had a call from Admiral offering to renew at less than the previous year's quote with no loading whatsoever.

Since then, wife and daughter have been with Admiral with no loading for no cost no fault accidents 1 in daughters car and 1 in my company car.

Premium for 2 car policy, for wife has always been less than previous year after discussion.
Commercial policies are a bit different.

Most Haulage firms of any reasonable size will settle a claim that's less than £1000 instead of claiming because of the penalties for doing so.

It will actually work out cheaper in the long run.

Pat
Latest Forum Posts