Motoring Discussion > Austin (Rover) - Maxi - 250K miles Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Falkirk Bairn Replies: 38

Austin (Rover) - Maxi - 250K miles - Falkirk Bairn
Interesting story of a camera bought by an enthusiast.

Film in the camera was developed & eventually they managed to track down the people in the wedding photos.

Amongst the pictures was an Austin Maxi which went on to cover 1/4 million miles!
BL Engineering!!! BL did not build many that would achieve 250K miles.

www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-38162810
 Austin (Rover) - Maxi - 250K miles - Stevek100
I met these two ladies on the Maxi club stand at the NEC. Interesting car with the hatch welded up and a boot in its place.

www.necclassicmotorshow.com/austin-maxi-owners-club-rallies-round-heroine-drivers
 Austin (Rover) - Maxi - 250K miles - martin aston
I know it's a well-worn topic but the names bring the size of modern cars into focus.

You can of course still buy a large 5 door "British" car. It's called the MINI. The standard hatch is now not much smaller than the Maxi while the 2017 Countryman will be nearly a foot longer and 8 inches wider.

Austin (Rover) - Maxi - 250K miles - The Melting Snowman
Yes it's surprising how cars have grown in size. Yesterday I saw parked up an immaculate L reg (1993) Polo, an old girl got out - probably had it from new. Two parking spaces further along was one of the newer Polos, not sure what version but I think it was a 64 reg. It was huge in comparison.

It's all marketing guff of course, as the 'small' cars get bigger, it then opens up a space lower down the range of a new small car. I drove one of the new KAs last week, not bad for a small car and probably at least as big as the old Fiesta ever was.
 Austin (Rover) - Maxi - 250K miles - Runfer D'Hills
Probably a peripheral reason why so many people use their garages only as sheds now, at least partly anyway, because their cars won't easily fit in them, if at all.
 Austin (Rover) - Maxi - 250K miles - Ian (Cape Town)
Length:
3395 mm / 133.7 in
Width:
1475 mm / 58.1 in
Wheelbase:
2360 mm / 92.9 in

Daihatsu Cuore/Mira.

I can reach all the door locks without stretching.
Lovely little car.
 Austin (Rover) - Maxi - 250K miles - Clk Sec
>> BL did not build many that would achieve 250K miles.

Mine managed 108,000.
>> BL did not build many that would achieve 250K miles.

Neither did any other mainstream manufacturer, given some of the foreign rubbish our family ran from that period.
 Austin (Rover) - Maxi - 250K miles - martin aston
I bought a 1971 Morris 1100 in Aberdeen in 1977. When I later lifted the carpets there were large holes in the floor and the structural members beneath the "new" rivetted sills had corroded away to almost nothing. Still got though a couple of MOTs though without welding. It was scrapped at about 75000 miles and 9 years old when rust and a jumping gear lever saw it off.

In contrast a neighbour in Southern England still has a similar vintage 1100 that is still very tidy and used as a daily runner. Differences in climate, care and undersealing I suspect

Still wouldnt want to be in a smash in it though.
 Austin (Rover) - Maxi - 250K miles - Falkirk Bairn
>>Differences in climate, care and undersealing I suspect

Aberdeen

Sea side = salt in air
Snow & ice for months each winter = Salt & Grit on road

South of England Coast = palm trees & out door BBQ for much of the year
 Austin (Rover) - Maxi - 250K miles - Manatee
>> Sea side = salt in air
>> Snow & ice for months each winter = Salt & Grit on road

A friend has an MX5 that he bought in Arbroath when he lived there. Rust will kill it soon, he predicts.
There's always something fishy about deals done in Arbroath.
 Austin (Rover) - Maxi - 250K miles - CGNorwich
Done in smoke filled rooms?
Not worth the risk of being caught, you'd be gutted if you were and they'd hang you out to dry.
 Austin (Rover) - Maxi - 250K miles - Harleyman

>> Still wouldnt want to be in a smash in it though.
>>

And that, basically, is why they've grown bigger.
 Austin (Rover) - Maxi - 250K miles - Old Navy
>> And that, basically, is why they've grown bigger.
>>

Along with size creep to make room for new small cars.
 Austin (Rover) - Maxi - 250K miles - devonite
A friend of mine in the 70's always had his new cars Ziebarted (anyone remember this ?) whereby they filled all internal structures with some "gunk" that was supposed to stop it rusting from the inside out. He always changed his cars every 3-4 years so never really knew if it made any difference to life expectancy or was just expensive "Snake-oil".Anyone know if it was worth doing? as they don't appear to do it nowadays.
 Austin (Rover) - Maxi - 250K miles - commerdriver
Was worth it in my case for the Commer
Ziebarted from new in 1974, has been in family since 1976, first underbody welding required during restoration in 2009, 35 years later.
Body rust at seams has been a problem over the years, seams & gutters etc but underneath has lasted very well.
 Austin (Rover) - Maxi - 250K miles - Bromptonaut
My Mother and Uncle both had cars Ziebarted between 1972 and 1978. Mum's were a Mini and Renault 5, Uncle's a Peugeot 304.

The Peugeot was rust free when he traded it for a 305 in 1978. Maybe it would have been anyway. He looked after it washing and hosing weekly.

The Mini and Renault were less well looked after. Box sections eg the Mini's cills stayed relatively rust free. The Achilles's heel of both was single panels rusting. In the Mini's case the floorpan and upper reaches of front wheelarch, including holes behind the dash. The Renault went badly round it's rear arches.

Ziebart was a franchise and like all such businesses the service was only as good as the franchisee.

The other thing was the distinctive smell of the 'gunk'. They say smell is a trigger for memory. If I got a whiff of Ziebart now I'd have an image of the 304 with it's Burgundy velour seats and the smell overlaid with Uncle's St Bruno pipe tobacco.
 Austin (Rover) - Maxi - 250K miles - Dog
Dinitrol was the uvva one, or Waxoyl if yoos DIY'd it.

Altea Ego reckons: "modern cars are very well protected"

www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?t=17365
 Austin (Rover) - Maxi - 250K miles - CGNorwich
Ziebart rust proofing is still going in the USA
>>Ziebart rust proofing is still going in the USA

Probably in the rust belt.
 Austin (Rover) - Maxi - 250K miles - sooty123
I think waxoil is still going as well.
 Austin (Rover) - Maxi - 250K miles - Slidingpillar
I think waxoil is still going as well.

Yup, was quite cheap too, I bought a 1 litre tin to use the tin as a catch tank. Contents decanted to a 1 ltre whisky bottle I just happened to have...
 Austin (Rover) - Maxi - 250K miles - devonite
Interesting thread Doggo! - ages since I've been there!
 Austin (Rover) - Maxi - 250K miles - commerdriver
>> Altea Ego reckons: "modern cars are very well protected"
>>
Altea Ego - whatever became of him :-)
 Austin (Rover) - Maxi - 250K miles - Duncan
>> >> Altea Ego reckons: "modern cars are very well protected"
>> >>
>> Altea Ego - whatever became of him :-)

In the end I expect it came to zero.
>>Altea Ego - whatever became of him :-)

The last I heard he became a knob head.

):¬))
 Austin (Rover) - Maxi - 250K miles - Ted

I used to notice many cars which had been Ziebarted, etc, usually rusted round the holes drilled to pump the stuff in and sealed with a plastic plug.. I have a large tub of Waxoil in the workshop. I've only used a cupful in 10 years, painting it with a brush on some fresh welding on the Jowett some years ago.
 Austin (Rover) - Maxi - 250K miles - bathtub tom
IIRC Ziebart went bust due to warranty claims.
Or a Grumpy Old Fart
 Austin (Rover) - Maxi - 250K miles - Lygonos
My old Maxi had been Dinitrolled from new and underneath was completely solid - only rust when it was killed by an Astra at 14yr old was at the front of the wing behind the headlamp which was notorious for collecting mud from the front wheel.
The 'eyeball' fresh air vents at either end of the dashboard were fed from the front of the car and were separate from the rest of the heating system. They were effectively 'ram-air'.

The pipe leading from the front of the car to the vent was supported on a shelf directly above each front wheel, a perfect repository for all the muck thrown up by the wheels. A perfect poultice condition and guess where most Maxis rotted first?

Another result of this arrangement meant the nearside pipe was directly over the radiator, meaning you got a face full of hot air when you opened the vent if the engine had been running for some time. It also resulted in the nearside vent never delivering cool air, particularly if you'd been stationary in traffic for a while.
 Austin (Rover) - Maxi - 250K miles - Boxsterboy
I love the smell of Waxoyl in the morning!
 Austin (Rover) - Maxi - 250K miles - Pat
I love the smell of Castrol R

Pat
>> I love the smell of Castrol R
Mixed with Gunk on a hot engine?
>>I love the smell of Castrol R

A dab behind each ear every morning?
 Austin (Rover) - Maxi - 250K miles - Roger.
>> I love the smell of Castrol R
>>
>> Pat
>>
I used to run my Group1 848cc Mini on Castrol R.
(Just to show off the smell and add creds as a boy racer)
I used Duckhams Q20/50 in my highly tuned road/race Cooper 970S.

Last edited by: Roger. on Fri 9 Dec 16 at 21:25
I confess to using Castrol R40 as a petroil mix in my Villiers 8E powered Panther 10/3.

More in hope than than anything else.

It did use to smell glorious to anyone behind, especially after I'd 'Gunked' the engine.
Latest Forum Posts