Motoring Discussion > A Dodgy Fill Up? Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Bromptonaut Replies: 28

A Dodgy Fill Up? - Bromptonaut
Is there such a thing?

The Roomie normally averages around 48-54mpg based on mix of 14 mile round trip commute and longer distance work. It's computer and actual brim>brim calculations match well.

On 5-11 I filled it at Sainsbury's Fosse Park. Usual fuel light bingo job combining visit to my Mother with fact that motion lotion there is consistently 3p litre less than at any Northampton supermarket. Since then it's been consistently 'overeating'. Admittedly period was mainly commuting as I've been temporarily working full time. Trip to Somerset this weekend saw me fill up on 03/12at a Tescbury's on outskirts of Oxford.

Since then back to normal. Smidge under 40mpg both ways today bookending an eight hour shift.

Views?
 A Dodgy Fill Up? - bathtub tom
IT'S CHRISTMAS!

The weather's turned considerably colder during the last few days and you say: "Admittedly period was mainly commuting as I've been temporarily working full time.

Has anything else changed?
 A Dodgy Fill Up? - Lygonos
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Winter_diesel_fuel#Winter_diesel

Maybe?

Otherwise what bt says.
 A Dodgy Fill Up? - sherlock47
Does it have time to complete a dpf cleaning cycle? I have seen similar sort of behaviour from the PSA HDi 1.6 that cannot be explained by just a single regen cycle.
 A Dodgy Fill Up? - devonite
Yesterday, I had a run to Preston Hospital, this includes a 50min run down the M6, so although the light wasn't on indicating a need to re-gen the DPF, I thought I'd give it a go anyway. The manual says to stick it in "S-Mode" and drive at 60km P.H for 15 mins. This I did, but apart from sup more juice nothing else seemed to happen! no temp rise on gauge, no clouds of black smoke or soot, - how do I tell if it's been either successful or done nothing at all ? Do I even need to do it if the light isn't on? (apologies for nicking the thread!)
 A Dodgy Fill Up? - Old Navy
A car will only regenerate when it feels the need, triggered by the pressure differential across the DPF. Not enough pressure differential, no need to regenerate, won't do it. Unless told to by the dealers computer.
Last edited by: Old Navy on Tue 6 Dec 16 at 12:26
 A Dodgy Fill Up? - devonite
Ah! - right Thanks for the info! ;-)
 A Dodgy Fill Up? - VxFan
I always thought the light came on as a last resort, basically prompting that you must let the vehicle do a full regen and not to switch off the engine until it's gone out.

That's certainly the case with my diesel. The only time I know it's doing a regen is the engine note sounds slightly deeper, it doesn't run as smoothly, and the fuel consumption increases. No clouds of smoke out the exhaust though. Oh, and when it's finished the cooling fan runs for approx. 5 minutes afterwards to waft cool air over the turbo.
 A Dodgy Fill Up? - Bromptonaut
>> IT'S CHRISTMAS!
>>
>> The weather's turned considerably colder during the last few days and you say: "Admittedly period
>> was mainly commuting as I've been temporarily working full time.

>>
>> Has anything else changed?

At first I attributed it to weather but on reflection consumption was down before the cold snap. Better today (39.9 on computer when I arrived at work) and yesterday, not withstanding the brass monkeys.

The change correlates with the fill up on Saturday but also with first decent run out for a month or so so could be something to do with DPF regen on long fast run.
 A Dodgy Fill Up? - madf
This thread is reminiscent of motoring discussions in the early years of motoring when petrol wa sold in cans and pumps were polluted with water..
Anyone who drives a car which requires special treatments like the above thread should realise they have regressed.

Motoring should improve , not regress.

Than goodness deesels will soon be banned for cars.
 A Dodgy Fill Up? - jc2
The fuel warning light is triggered by the amount of fuel remaining in the tank-ie. by the position of the float.The "miles to empty" on the computer is calculated from the average fuel consumption at that moment.
 A Dodgy Fill Up? - The Melting Snowman
>>Than goodness deesels will soon be banned for cars.

Rejoice at that news.
 A Dodgy Fill Up? - CGNorwich
But of course they won't. Sure they emit a lot of nitrous oxides and particulates that will certainly kill you now if you live in a town but petrol emits a load more carbon dioxide which via global warming will kill us all eventually. The point is neither is ideal

Ideally if we a talking ICE we should be driving petrol in town but diesels on the motorway.
 A Dodgy Fill Up? - rtj70
>> but petrol emits a load more carbon dioxide

My last car was a VW diesel 2.0l emitting 129g/km of CO2 and produced 170PS and 350Nm torque. My current Audi petrol 1.4l turbo emits 109g/km of CO2 and produces 150PS and 250Nm torque.

Both have/had similar performance. VW was bigger/heavier granted.

I think the future will be small capacity petrol, hybrids and all electric. Turbos will become better with 48v electrics.
Last edited by: rtj70 on Tue 6 Dec 16 at 23:32
Diesel inherently emits 20% less CO2 than petrol for the same power output. It's just a matter of chemistry.
 A Dodgy Fill Up? - Dog
>>Than goodness deesels will soon be banned for cars.

Or diseasel, as focus lad calls them.
HGVs and buses doing single digit mpg in towns don't help.
"HGVs and buses doing single digit mpg in towns don't help."

A bus with 20 people on board is of course more efficient that 20 cars with one persons in each. The buses should of course be as pollution free as possible meaning updating many of our ageing bus fleets.

There is no real future for petrol or diesel cars lon term in the centres of our most densly populated cities with electric and or hydrogen being the only viable option if we want clean air to breathe

A Dodgy Fill Up? - rtj70
When I travel into Manchester I use the train. And when there either walk, use the free bus or tram.

If I go to the office that does have a Metrolink tram stop nearby I drive because it is much cheaper to drive and much much quicker. Train/tram combo is also possible but still more costly and slower than driving.

I choose to drive the quickest route (about 15 miles one way) but I could do it in around 8 miles. It takes longer and reality uses more fuel.

I should add I try to do in once a year :-)
Last edited by: rtj70 on Wed 7 Dec 16 at 00:40
 A Dodgy Fill Up? - sooty123
I think quite a few countries use cng powered buses as well as lpg powered vehicles in cities. Quite helpful in terms of bringing down emissions, especially as wagons and buses seem along way away from being powered be electricity. But we seem to have none in this country and the powershift grant has long gone.
Anglian Bus had a fleet of gas filled buses operating out of Beccles in Suffolk until last month when they were quietly moved to Plymouth. Kept rather quiet about the reasons - they had received a large subsidy for the original purchase I believe.

www.becclesandbungayjournal.co.uk/news/new_fleet_of_buses_is_running_on_gas_1_1729477
Gas fuelled rather than filled of course!
Don't worry i know what you meant. I'm not one of the legions of pedants on here!
 A Dodgy Fill Up? - Manatee
>> Don't worry i know what you meant. I'm not one of the legions of pedants
>> on here!

You couldn't be a legion on your own:)
 A Dodgy Fill Up? - smokie
Haha Manatee, very smart response :-)
Which legion of pedants are you a member of?
>> Which legion of pedants are you a member of?
>>

Hopefully one that doesn't end sentences with a preposition. ;-)

A Dodgy Fill Up? - jc2
A preposition is a word you should not finish a sentence with!
I see they're awake now...
Last edited by: sooty123 on Wed 7 Dec 16 at 12:16
Latest Forum Posts