Motoring Discussion > Lorries v bridges in the Surrey area Miscellaneous
Thread Author: henry k Replies: 17

Lorries v bridges in the Surrey area - henry k
www.getsurrey.co.uk/news/surrey-news/camberley-bus-stuck-under-bridge-12323123

What else can be done to reduce these events happening ?
 Lorries v bridges in the Surrey area - Old Navy
Jail a few drivers for dangerous driving, criminal damage or anything that is feasable. The message would soon get through. Kill a top deck passenger and causing death by dangerous driving should be an option.
 Lorries v bridges in the Surrey area - Manatee
Sensors on/before the bridges?

There was a set of these on the A41 between Aylesbury & Bicester, at a low railway bridge. The sensors would detect high vehicles and trigger flashing warning signs. The sensors and flashing signs have now gone - the bridge was reworked and the road lowered a bit I think, although it is still only 4.5m

goo.gl/Dg7aTQ

The Chinese seem to have a fairly uncompromising attitude to height restrictions:

thenanfang.com/roof-double-decker-tour-bus-peeled-off-maximum-height-sign/

"Last year, Chinese media remarked that of the 42 height restriction signs on Zhengzhou’s third ring road, 42 have been crashed into..."

According to the story, the height restriction in this city is 3m, cf. the 'standard' 4m. Wasn't there a proposal to restrict semi-trailers to 4m here a while back?

Lorries v bridges in the Surrey area - Old Navy
I have seen a few bridges protected with substantial steel girders, we have a bridge near me on the Edinburgh / Aberdeen rail line that has height detectors and flashing signs if triggered.
 Lorries v bridges in the Surrey area - DP
>> I have seen a few bridges protected with substantial steel girders, we have a bridge
>> near me on the Edinburgh / Aberdeen rail line that has height detectors and flashing
>> signs if triggered.

There's a low, brick built railway bridge near Farnborough Station that has had a protective steel girder installed, at a slightly lower height than the bridge too. In fairness it's very narrow with just one lane (controlled by lights) and a footpath so you'd struggle to get anything wider than a van through it, but clearly people have tried in the past.
 Lorries v bridges in the Surrey area - smokie
This other link on Henry's page made me smile www.getsurrey.co.uk/news/surrey-news/coach-gets-wedged-guildford-cul-11584407
 Lorries v bridges in the Surrey area - Pat
That made me smile too Smokie, I can't work out why they don't just reverse back out again?

The bridge problem is the bane of my life.

We had a spate of bridge strikes around 18 months ago when we had five in a month.

Needless to say, it became my problem to see why, and teach them not to do it:)

Three were agency drivers who pleaded they didn't know the height of the trailer.

One, on the A39 just outside of Salisbury, hit the bridge and left the lorry on a nearby roundabout and did a runner:) He was found in Wisbech the following day!

The other one was one of our drivers who freely admitted he knew the bridge was there at Wakefield and knew the height of his trailer, but just 'didn't register it'.

Facts:

We have over 200 trailers ranging from 13' 9'' to 15' 9'' and there are loads of variations between those two heights.

We are mainly Scania but do have some Ranaults, Mercedez and when busy hire in MAN's.

The unit turntables are all different heights varying by up to 2'' which is the difference between a bridge strike and getting lucky.

We, by law, have to have a trailer height indicator in the cab to be changed with each trailer pulled to show the height.

Most drivers never alter it, let alone look at it. I never did, but neither did I ever hit a bridge.

It's an expensive hobby as the rail company never seem to actually 'close' a claim, even if there is no damage after an inspection (which we have to pay for) and just leave the claim open in case future damage is found.

Trailers are expensive and in my experience drivers never seem to write off the old and knackered ones, it's always a new one.

My conclusion:) The one driver employed by us who admitted he 'didn't register it' was sacked.

We've not had another one since.

It's never a case of trying to squeeze through slowly, it's always a hit with a purpose which proves they have not realised you can't get a quart into a pint post.

I have some pics of ours, I'll try and get a link to them to show you!

Pat
 Lorries v bridges in the Surrey area - R.P.
Life lesson for me was recorded on here a couple of years ago. Very near miss..!
No, that won't work. Photobucket is still not playing nicely!

Pat
 Lorries v bridges in the Surrey area - rtj70
>> I can't work out why they don't just reverse back out again?

Not easy after he wedged it across the road :-)
 Lorries v bridges in the Surrey area - Harleyman
I'm surprised that Pat hasn't already bitten you for this Henry; but might I ask why your header clearly mentions lorries when the article you quote (as are all the others ) is pertinent to a bus?

Pat; our company's daily check sheet includes a column for "check vehicle height indicator and adjust as necessary". If yours doesn't, perhaps it should as a daily reminder?
Last edited by: Harleyman on Thu 15 Dec 16 at 21:55
>> I'm surprised that Pat hasn't already bitten you for this Henry
>>
I was not having a dig at lorry drivers.
Pat, yourself and others have given me a far better understanding of your world and how the industry operates.
I do try to give you heavies an easier journey now I better understand your extra challenges.
The few seconds I give you can easily be made up.

>>; but might I ask why your header clearly mentions lorries when the article you quote
>> (as are all the others ) is pertinent to a bus?
A very good question and I ask you to accept my answer as I cannot produce the proof.
When I posted it the item did not have the coverage of the bus at the start but the video of the lorries.
Possibly why Smokie and Pat did not comment.

There are quite a few low bridges around Esher and towards Kingston, which might be surprising
for an urban area, hence we have quite a few single decker buses operating locally.
I have not been aware of bridges being hit near me but it is probably because the bridges are obviously very low and often narrow brick arch bridges.
Yes HM, that box was added to our daily check sheet but as you know, in reality, all it does is provide grounds for disciplinary action should a bridge strike occur!

I didn't pick Henry up on that simply because as far as I'm concerned we're ALL professional drivers whether driving a lorry or a bus and none of us should really be that stupid.

Now, if it had said FEMALE lorry/bus driver then I'd have come out with all guns blazing.

I'm pleased to give you a bit of insight into a lorry drivers normal day Henry and I'm sure it's much appreciated when you give them a bit of space!

I do try hard to be honest and unbiased.

Pat
Thanks Pat

I was taught to drive by a young lady instructor who was very good.

When i started my second serious job (lasted 35 years in various roles) my first team leader was a young very bright (younger than me ) blond who drove a MINI Cooper.
All the female team members were the equal or better than guys.
We had several senior and very senior female managers so overall I learned early on that IMO we are all equal.
No worries Henry; should have added a smiley at the end really as was teasing more than anything.

Regarding buses; there have been several incidents over the years when a driver who usually drives single deck buses goes onto a double decker with disastrous results. Familiarity breeding contempt, or force of habit? It has to be said that if said driver is on a regular route which he may cover several times a day, it's perhaps understandable that it might occasionally be done on auto-pilot.

I'm not trying in any way to excuse it; just saying that it happens.

And like Pat says, thanks for the courtesy, it is appreciated.
Last edited by: Harleyman on Fri 16 Dec 16 at 18:44
>> Sensors on/before the bridges?

Those sensors are all very well if they work. I deliver regularly to a farm whose entrance is just before a 12' 0" bridge, necessitating me to pass through a set of sensors on the approach road in a truck which is 12' 6" high; and I know it is cos I measured it the day I got it, just as well because the height indicator was set to 12' 4" ex works.

I have never yet triggered the flashing lights.
Last edited by: Harleyman on Fri 16 Dec 16 at 18:53
 Lorries v bridges in the Surrey area - tyrednemotional
>> >> Sensors on/before the bridges?
>>
>> Those sensors are all very well if they work.
>>

The "sensors" used here tend not to fail very often ;-)

goo.gl/maps/eMZmYomJ6Q22

(TBH, it doesn't seem a bad compromise. Hopefully minimal damage to the vehicle, and a very positive warning effect, utilising basic "technology")
Yes, seen them before and they do work. Or at least, they should.
Latest Forum Posts