Motoring Discussion > Odd pedestrian crossing? Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Cliff Pope Replies: 4

Odd pedestrian crossing? - Cliff Pope
I recently encountered an odd kind of zebra crossing, new to me anyway. It is at a crossroads, but crosses diagonally from one corner to the opposite. There's only one, not a double-cross, but looks really odd and quite puzzling on first view, because the hatchings are at 45 degrees to the road.
It has the interesting effect that in two directions you can presumably filter left even if the crossing is in use, but not in the others.
I wish I could remember where - somewhere in mid-wales.
Has anyone ever seen one of these?
 Odd pedestrian crossing? - Old Navy
You really shouldn't drink and drive. :-)

No, not seen one.
Last edited by: Old Navy on Sat 17 Dec 16 at 10:32
 Odd pedestrian crossing? - Ian (Cape Town)
A one-way diagonal doesn't make sense to me.
a large X-type does. All traffic stopped, pedestrians go their way, then all traffic starts.
Especially in these days of muppets who try to beat the flashing light chap when they cross the road, thus delaying vehicles making a legitimate turn.
Many of our CBD crossings are 'all vehicles stop, all crossings open' ones, which cycle: north south traffic, east west traffic, then pedestrians in all directions. Seems to work Ok.
 Odd pedestrian crossing? - Mike H
Odd crossings here in Austria as well. It's quite common that, if the lights for traffic are red on your approach road to a crossing, they will be green for pedestrians to coss that road. This means that traffic turning into your road, from the road that crosses, has to stop and give way to pedestrians. Usually the green pedestrian signal is only around 50% of the duration of the red vehicle light, so the traffic turning in gets a chance to flow.
 Odd pedestrian crossing? - Stuartli
Not all pedestrians are odd...:-)
Latest Forum Posts