Motoring Discussion > Car phone blocker Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Old Navy Replies: 55

Car phone blocker - Old Navy
Much as I would like to see an ignition on, phone blocked device made mandatory, the down side is roads blocked with the stationary cars of phone users.

Don't people realise there was life before mobile phones?

www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4043706/Mobiles-BLOCKED-working-cars-use-new-crackdown-phone-happy-motorists.html

It would be simple, if we had more coppers on the road, to confiscate phones for (say) 48 hours, to be collected from the police station. In addition to the standard penalty of course. Don't cry business phones, human rights etc.
 Car phone blocker - R.P.
I'll cry "Austerity" instead. North Wales Police have 50% fewer Roads Policing Officers than in 2009. No reason to think it's any different in Scotland.
As I said "If we had more coppers on the road", a blocker would be a cheap fix.
 Car phone blocker - R.P.
Fair enough ! :-)
 Car phone blocker - smokie
How would the blocker decide whether the phone was that of driver or passenger?
 Car phone blocker - sooty123
>> How would the blocker decide whether the phone was that of driver or passenger?
>>

I wondered that, what about say buses, would none of the passengers be allowed to use them?
 Car phone blocker - BrianByPass
It is a Daily Mail speculative story, which could be based on some Minister expressing a wish for a technical/software solution. There is no such revolutionary software mentioned by anyone anywhere else that I am aware of.

(Remember last week "Anti-war MPs have demanded RAF drones be used to send aid deliveries into besieged Aleppo despite the aircraft being incapable of doing so. Shadow foreign secretary Emily Thornberry said the use of drones was an alternative to sending manned flights into Syria during an emergency Commons debate yesterday. The proposal has also been endorsed by Green Party co-leader Caroline Lucas.").

>> There is no such revolutionary software mentioned by anyone
>> anywhere else that I am aware of.

Why does it need software, a small jammer similar to the FM transmitters used for transferring from a device to a car radio would do the job. It does not need to be powerful, just transmit white noise on the phone frequencies.
Last edited by: Old Navy on Sat 17 Dec 16 at 18:10
 Car phone blocker - Slidingpillar
Why does it need software, a small jammer similar to the FM transmitters used for transferring from a device to a car radio would do the job. It does not need to be powerful, just transmit white noise on the phone frequencies.

Not quite that simple as mobile phones use four quite broad and separate bands. And in the UK, such a device is not licenceable, so the jammer operator is braking the law, not Wayne chatting to Waynetta.
>> There is no such revolutionary software mentioned by anyone anywhere else that I am aware of.
>>

Found this news item from lst month:

"Technology companies like Apple and Samsung must develop a software feature to stop their smartphones being used behind the wheel, says the US road safety administration.

The call comes just weeks after lorry driver Tomasz Kroker was found guilty of killing a woman and three children in a UK crash caused by him looking at his mobile phone. The crash prompted calls on phone makers to develop a way of preventing devices from being used while driving.

A patent made public in 2014 revealed Apple has been working on a way to disable a driver's iPhone while they are behind the wheel, but making sure the system works automatically without disabling the iPhones of passengers (or the driver's phone in the hands of a passenger) is tricky.

The US National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) is to apply pressure on smartphone makers in the form of a set of voluntary guidelines.

The new guidelines, to be issued on 23 November, ask smartphone manufacturers (including Apple, Samsung and others) to design future operating systems which limit their functionality and simplify the interface when they are being used in a moving vehicle. In a move echoing Apple's 2014 patent, the guidelines also ask phone makers to create a system which identifies when a phone is being used by the driver.

Although the NHTSA cannot directly control what car- or phone manufacturers do, it has had previous success in directing how carmakers design dashboard navigation and entertainment systems."
>> (Remember last week "Anti-war MPs have demanded RAF drones be used to send aid deliveries
>> into besieged Aleppo despite the aircraft being incapable of doing so.

That made me chuckle.
>> How would the blocker decide whether the phone was that of driver or passenger?
>>

Who cares, a good treatment for phone addiction.
>> Who cares, a good treatment for phone addiction.
>>

I quite like using mine whilst being a passanger. So i think it's a bit over the top. I think ians SA example is a good one.
 Car phone blocker - CGNorwich
>> As I said "If we had more coppers on the road", a blocker would be
>> a cheap fix.
>>

Yes certainly a lot cheaper but also hugely more effective. Much like car crime. Car theft hugely reduced by better locks and immobilisers, something that any number of policemen could never have achieved. An effective car phone blocker would reduce the number of offences to near zero.

The solution to every problem is not more policemen.
 Car phone blocker - Ian (Cape Town)
>> It would be simple, if we had more coppers on the road, to confiscate phones
>> for (say) 48 hours, to be collected from the police station. In addition to the
>> standard penalty of course. Don't cry business phones, human rights etc.
>>
Yep, they do that here.
You get to keep the SIM card, though. After a few months, unclaimed phones are 'wiped' and donated to NGOs.
>> Yep, they do that here.
>>

I bet your Police wages & admin costs are a great deal less than those here. Even if the work here was done by PCSO, the total costs would be high.
 Car phone blocker - Bromptonaut
Non starter.

Using phone handsfree in car is not an offence. Passengers using phones is not an offence. Using a phone on a train is not an offence. There are plenty places, eg the Watford Gap, Shap or Beatock, where road and rail run too close for even Satnav to differentiate. And of course if it blocks data then Satnav won't do anything more than nav; no traffic information.
Last edited by: Bromptonaut on Sat 17 Dec 16 at 18:04
 Car phone blocker - mikeyb
People who spend long lengths of time in their cars - runfer springs to mind - would find conducting their business very difficult if this was the case.

When I was out of the office driving for any period of time I used to get quite a bit covered on the phone, and it was a good opportunity to relay information back to the team after meetings without having to send an email or see them face to face
What liability does an employer have in the case of an accident during business call?
>> What liability does an employer have in the case of an accident during business call?

That's why employers have policies on the subject.

If it's explicit that breach of the law on handhelds is a disciplinary matter and enforce it they're probably in the clear. OTOH if they have a policy but knowingly tolerate breaches or make it difficult to do job without using phone then they're in the doo doo.
 Car phone blocker - Tigger
>> People who spend long lengths of time in their cars - runfer springs to mind
>> - would find conducting their business very difficult if this was the case.

My employer regards even hands-free use of a phone when driving as a disciplinary offence. My work phone has an (optional) mode where it uses the bluetooth connection in the car to switch to a non-contact mode - so diverting to answerphone, and responding to texts with a 'I'm currently driving' message.

Car phone blocker - T junction
But often a short phone call can save time, energy and resources. A phone call to say "your trip is no longer necessary, come back." ten minutes into a four hour journey was very welcome.
>> But often a short phone call can save time, energy and resources. A phone call
>> to say "your trip is no longer necessary, come back." ten minutes into a four
>> hour journey was very welcome.
>>

So it's all about your convenience and not the safety of road users. I was stopped waiting to turn right, indicator and brake lights on. The van driver saw me too late, and put his van on the pavement. He was on his phone, it was pure luck he did not rear end me and there was no one on the pavement at the time.
>> So it's all about your convenience and not the safety of road users.

Since you noticed he was on 'phone I guess it was handheld. T-Junction was replying to Tigger's point that some employers ban even hands free. Consequence mentioned is of delay/waste because a change of plan cannot be communicated even using a relatively safe set uo.
>> Consequence mentioned is of delay/waste
>> because a change of plan cannot be communicated even using a relatively safe set uo.
>>

Any communication system is a distraction while driving, especially if it requires eyes. I know that mobile phones and internet connections can't be uninvented but we seemed to live quite happily before them. I travelled around the remote parts of Scotland in all seasons for years before the days of mobiles, and the coverage is still not good in some places. I even survived a breakdown, (Navy car, not mine) miles from communication. If you think you are so important that you can't be replaced or out of contact for an hour or so try removing your finger from a glass of water and see if it leaves a hole. :-)
Last edited by: Old Navy on Sun 18 Dec 16 at 09:17
Of course your argument can be applied to any invention. The car you were driving round Scotland in could be perceived as unnecessary by some.

People survived quite well without cars for millennia. In fact when you think about it there is a far better case for getting rid of cars than there is of mobile phones which although possibly irritating at times are a generally benign invention and indeed radically can reduce the amount of travel required

It is after all not the phone that kills you but the badly driven car.
Last edited by: CGNorwich on Sun 18 Dec 16 at 09:36
 Car phone blocker - Pat
>>It is after all not the phone that kills you but the badly driven car<<

That is the cause of the problem.

Why should all drivers who do use phones responsibly in vehicles suffer because a few can't abide by the law?

Surely the answer isn't to ban everything unless we can become 100% compliant.

Re-train bad drivers.

Police bad drivers.

Ban bad drivers, not ban phones.

Pat

>> Why should all drivers who do use phones responsibly in vehicles suffer because a few
>> can't abide by the law?
>>
I suppose the answer to that lies in the question "where is the greater good". By all accounts it is not just a few who can't abide by the law. A short walk down a busy road will convince you of that.

Now if a method of rendering driver's hand held phones inoperable whilst driving was possible then I don't see how that would be particularly unreasonable thing to do and it would considerably more effective than education of drivers and employing hundreds more policemen.

It is not just drivers who have rights. We all have rights not to be killed or injured by others and preventing the illegal use of mobile phones seems reasonable to me.
. If you
>> think you are so important that you can't be replaced or out of contact for
>> an hour or so

I don't think anyone is saying that merely that its pretty pointless driving for several hours if you didn't need to be there.
 Car phone blocker - T junction
>> its pretty pointless driving for several
>> hours if you didn't need to be there.
>>

Exactly. Also consider use of resources, adding to pollution, adding to congestion. Not to mention a P***d Off driver who now is having to drive back in rush hour traffic and whose road manners may suffer as a result.
 Car phone blocker - smokie
" ... we seemed to live quite happily before them ... I even survived a breakdown"

tinyurl.com/5rk2aj8

Which one are you ON ? :-)

>> Which one are you ON ? :-)
>>

Take your pick, any or all. :-)
 Car phone blocker - Harleyman
>> People who spend long lengths of time in their cars - runfer springs to mind
>> - would find conducting their business very difficult if this was the case.
>>

Not just cars. Some may be pleased to know (and some may not) that as a result of that tragic case my employer has put a blanket ban on even hands-free phones being used whilst the vehicle is in motion. That means that every time I need to contact a farmer to get directions I have to stop the lorry somewhere safe; satnav does not always take me to the delivery point due to the sheer size of some farms and the topography of Wales, and anyone who's ever tried finding remote farms especially if it's dark or the weather is poor, will understand that it ain't always easy.

It also means, of course, that if the office call me for anything I have to do the same thing, which often means that by the time I've found somewhere to park I may have to back-track quite a distance, especially if I'm on a motorway. It all adds to the costs of course and that means it eats away at profits.

Now personally I'm not too bothered; after all if I do extra hours I earn extra money. I do also happily concede that even a hands-free set is a distraction to the driver; but nevertheless it's a damn nuisance.
Traffic cops are not members of the SA police, but are municipally run, so any fines/fees for phone recovery go straight to them.
Also - and this is the bit I like - the inconvenience factor for offenders may make them think twice about repeating the offence.
Having to go to the traffic offices, queue up, fill in forms etc etc etc as compared to just paying a fine via phone banking or whatever.
 Car phone blocker - henry k
>>Also - and this is the bit I like - the inconvenience factor for offenders may make them think twice about repeating the offence.

>>Having to go to the traffic offices, queue up, fill in forms etc etc etc
>> as compared to just paying a fine via phone banking or whatever.

Especially if it happens at the other end of your country
or even if you are a visitor to the country.

The " inconvenience factor" could be enormous.

Car phone blocker - movilogo
The top comments against this news on Daily Mail site

1. How the system would know if phone is used by passenger?
2. Why this can't be implemented in prisons?
 Car phone blocker - mikeyb
I bet third and forth are something along the lines of.....

Can we block illegal immigrants from using mobiles

Can we block people on benefits
 Car phone blocker - Manatee
It's completely idiotic. Has anybody even bothered to try and estimate the net impact on road safety, even supposing that the technical problems could be overcome?

It sounds as if they think it will be a popular measure; the same reason that Labour took on the hunting ban.

Car phone blocker - Simon
I think its just another bandwagon. Is there any actual genuine statistics as to mobile phone usage and accidents? I thought that the number of deaths on UK roads either was still on the decline or has more or less levelled out. Surely with the increase of these dangerous mobile phones the death rate/accident rate should be going through the roof?

And when did we forget about drink drivers, drug drivers, banned drivers and those whose driving standards are so diabolical they shouldn't even be allowed on the road? And don't get me started on those who reckon that having a mobile phone call whilst driving is as dangerous as being drunk behind the wheel...
>> I think its just another bandwagon. Is there any actual genuine statistics as to mobile
>> phone usage and accidents?

Plenty. The A34 incident mentioned upthread by Harley is the most egregious recent example. There are others, not just deaths but life changing or serious injuries. Even those that result in nothing more than bent metal are completely unnecessary.

Regulation of driver behaviour, particularly reductions in DUI, has helped push the KSI numbers down. The biggest factor though is seatbelts and other passive/active safety stuff including crumple zones. Emergency treatment and progression improvement in trauma surgery is anther.

>> And when did we forget about drink drivers, drug drivers, banned drivers and those whose
>> driving standards are so diabolical they shouldn't even be allowed on the road?

We haven't.

>> And don't
>> get me started on those who reckon that having a mobile phone call whilst driving
>> is as dangerous as being drunk behind the wheel...

It isn't just somebody's thought bubble; there's research to back it up.

news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/1885775.stm

Hast that work been disproved?

>> It isn't just somebody's thought bubble; there's research to back it up.
>>
>> news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/1885775.stm
>>
>> Hast that work been disproved?
>>
>>

That 2002 "research" was "study, which was sponsored by insurer Direct Line, involved a panel of 20 volunteers using a driving simulator.".

Since then more substantial scientific studies have been carried out on this subject.

for example www.apa.org/research/action/drive.aspx

"Psychological research is showing that when drivers use cell phones, whether hand-held or hands-off, their attention to the road drops and driving skills become even worse than if they had too much to drink. Epidemiological research has found that cell-phone use is associated with a four-fold increase in the odds of getting into an accident - a risk comparable to that of driving with blood alcohol at the legal limit.

David Strayer, PhD, of the Applied Cognition Laboratory at the University of Utah has studied cell-phone impact for more than five years. His lab, using driving high-fidelity simulators while controlling for driving difficulty and time on task, has obtained unambiguous scientific evidence that cell-phone conversations disrupt driving performance. Human attention has a limited capacity, and studies suggest that talking on the phone causes a kind of "inattention blindness" to the driving scene.

In one study, when drivers talked on a cell phone, their reactions to imperative events (such as braking for a traffic light or a decelerating vehicle) were significantly slower than when they were not talking on the cell phone. Sometimes, drivers were so impaired that they were involved in a traffic accident. Listening to the radio or books on tape did not impair driving performance, suggesting that listening per se is not enough to interfere. However, being involved in a conversation takes attention away from the ability to process information about the driving environment well enough to safely operate a motor vehicle.
According to Strayer's laboratory research, cell-phone drivers were also more likely to miss traffic signals and often failed to see billboards and other signs. A special eye-tracking device measured where, exactly, drivers looked while driving. Even when drivers directed their gaze at objects on the road (during simulations), they still didn't "see" them because their attention - during a cell-phone call - was elsewhere."

So there is a case also for banning hands-free use of phones.
 Car phone blocker - Manatee
>> Plenty. The A34 incident mentioned upthread by Harley is the most egregious recent example.

Tomasz Kroker wasn't making or receiving a phone call, he was selecting music.

>> >> And don't
>> >> get me started on those who reckon that having a mobile phone call whilst
>> driving
>> >> is as dangerous as being drunk behind the wheel...
>>
>> It isn't just somebody's thought bubble; there's research to back it up.
>>
>> news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/1885775.stm
>>
>> Hast that work been disproved?

Has it even been proved?

I'm not advocating using a phone while driving, but the facts are that phone use is endemic, hands-free or otherwise, and yet while that explosion of mobile use was happening road casualty and KSI rates have gone down. They seem to be levelling out at around 1700 killed and 22,000 seriously injured now, but deaths are actually around 50% of what they were in 2002 when your "proof" was publicised, and the KSI total is around 2/3 of what it was then.

So something doesn't add up. We have pretty well the lowest road casualty rate anywhere in the world. Italy has twice ours, the USA three times the rate.

As Simon said above, if it was as dangerous as is being suggested and indeed "proved" then it is impossible to imagine that this would not have had a mucf more obvious effect on total accidents and casualties - particularly if we accept comments such as David Strayer's (referred to by Brian) that "phone" accidents tend to have higher severity because later braking means higher impact speeds.

In fact I find Strayer especially unconvincing - he claims to have triangulated this using various methods including epidemiological and they all point by an amazing coincidence to "4 times" the risk. To the "drunk" point he also claims that the phone risks are equated with the risk of "drunk driving", which turns out to mean the legal limit - which could equally be described as not being drunk. And what exactly does he mean anyway? A similar risk to somebody at the *legal* limit for the duration of the call, which will presumably be for a fraction of the journey?

Something is wrong here. The perception seems to be that phone use is responsible for a large risk increase, there's lots of it, but no sign of the consequences in the overall stats.

I don't believe we should be complacent. I'm sure that we could get the numbers rising again if we took our eye off the ball and ignored possible new factors in road safety, especially as it may be difficult to get the numbers down any further from here, other than by reducing vehicle miles. But the scale of the risk posed by phone use per se is, must be, being greatly exaggerated.

Where are the dreadful consequences of all this phone use?
Last edited by: Manatee on Mon 19 Dec 16 at 17:18
>> I think its just another bandwagon. Is there any actual genuine statistics as to mobile
>> phone usage and accidents?
>> And don't
>> get me started on those who reckon that having a mobile phone call whilst driving
>> is as dangerous as being drunk behind the wheel...
>>

Are you a member of this crowd theflatearthsociety.org/home/ ?
How does having a hands free mobile phone conversation compare to having a conversation with a passenger/s, especially ones who are sitting in the rear seats?
>> How does having a hands free mobile phone conversation compare to having a conversation with
>> a passenger/s, especially ones who are sitting in the rear seats?
>>

Apparently the brain functions differently when conversing with someone not in their vicinity, and the person can become oblivious to what's going on around them.
"Why Does This Happen?
Strayer's lab is building a theoretical account for why cell phone use disrupts driving performance. So far, the evidence points to conversations forcing drivers to withdraw their attention from the visual scene.
Frank Durso, PhD, with Kerstan Mork and John Morris of Texas Tech University, are also attempting to define the nature of the distraction. Is it a specific cognitive function? Is it attention, a broader enabler of cognitive function? More concretely, is it a conflict between the mental image and the current situation, such as an "out-of-the-car" conversation that puts drivers somewhere else mentally? The answer could help policy makers determine how to suitably regulate these devices. With or without legislation, says Durso, it's important to raise drivers' consciousness about the dangers of distraction."

You can find research papers on the internet if you want the details.

In the meantime, here is an illustration of conversation on a mobile phone:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=PWU4ZPS8X_k
>>www.youtube.com/watch?v=PWU4ZPS8X_k

Brilliant.

She's grown up now and was sat opposite me on the train to London last Friday........
>> How does having a hands free mobile phone conversation compare to having a conversation with

Both can be distracting but the distraction should be manageable.

Adult passengers, even those in the back seat, should recognise when the driver's workload is rising and pause the chatter. Those who do not may need to be asked to. Kids have to be told to.

If on hands free you may need to take initiative and ask for conversation to be stopped/restarted. Where they're not banned work policies should make clear that handsfree conversations should be limited to passing urgent messages or dealing with simple questions. Anything more complex must wait until driver is safely stopped.

They're still distracting though. I related here a couple of weeks ago how I lost safe separation from another vehicle while on hands free to Mrs B. Subject matter was simple non contentious 'what do we need from the supermarket'.
 Car phone blocker - rtj70

It depends on the conversation. If you're chatting in the car you can easily stop talking when something happens or the road situation means you have to concentrate more on the driving.

A similar chat on a phone would be the same. But most of my work calls are to involved to participate when driving. Often many people on conference calls etc.

I think the reality is the impact of using the phone is very dependent on what you're talking about.
 Car phone blocker - Harleyman
>>

My experience is that the phone conversation distracts you more. I do not, however, pretend to know why that should be.

The only thing I can suggest is that when you're on the phone, hands-free or not, you're focussing solely on the conversation with a person you cannot see and therefore your concentration may focus more on that than it would in a conversation which is face-to-face or at least with someone sitting next to you.

I do know that I am very uneasy sitting as a passenger with anyone who turns their focus away from the road to speak to me.
 Car phone blocker - Ted

A bone of thingy with SWM is that I rarely talk when I'm driving. I suppose it's a legacy of many professional years of driving with nobody with me in the vehicle. I'm happy to listen to Classic FM and concentrate on what's around me. I think it's paid off with 50 odd years without a shunt apart from a couple of parking scrapes.

Neither of us can abide following a car where the driver is turning to the passenger all the time and waving his arms about to make a point. Tempting to stop them and let the wife slap him daft.

Phone ? When I was working I had the phone on a windscreen holder. I could see who was calling . Home and the office knew I'd ring back within a minute or two and there is always a spot you can stop safely...especially in a city. Nowadays it just stays in my pocket, trapped by the seatbelt............no-one ever rings me now anyway......sobs :-(
I'd have said the opposite, having a hands free chit chat with someone on the phone I think is less distracting than conversing with a passenger. If you are talking to someone in the same car as yourself, you are tempted to or maybe even subconsciously turn and keep glancing in their direction. Having a conversation with someone who isn't in the vehicle to me means that you don't take your eyes off what you are doing.

Just a point to note, I only chit chat on the phone whilst driving, I don't (require) doing conference calls or even business calls etc. I can imagine doing something such as conducting a business meeting whilst driving is far more distracting than just passing time nattering.
 Car phone blocker - Roger.
A good principle is only to talk if one has something meaningful to say.

(I wish SWMBO realised that I'm not really interested that another house we have just driven past has the same front door design as we have!)
www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4166436/Drivers-use-phones-confiscated.html

Motorists who use their mobile phone while driving should have them confiscated as a deterrent, a police chief has proposed.

In 2015, 22 people were killed while 99 others were seriously injured following accidents on roads where a driver using their phone was a factor.

Police Constable Jayne Willetts, roads policing lead of the Police Federation of England and Wales, said British legislation is 'behind the times'.

Jayne reads car4play?
 Car phone blocker - Crankcase
If those numbers are correct, and a google for the 2015 figures is right, then:

2015 deaths - 1732
2015 casualties - 186209

Phones being a factor in deaths - not in 98.9% of cases

Phones being a factor in casualties - not in 99.99% of cases

Chasing the right target?

Car phone blocker - Pat
Approaching it from the wrong angle.

We all see it everyday. Car drivers, lorry drivers both are at it.

If we can see it so could the police if they were on the roads to actually police it.

No point in making a law you don't enforce and this is one which needs enforcing.

Pat
 Car phone blocker - zippy
>> If we can see it so could the police if they were on the roads
>> to actually police it.
>>
>> No point in making a law you don't enforce and this is one which needs
>> enforcing.

Good post!
Latest Forum Posts