Motoring Discussion > Yes I know!!!! Miscellaneous
Thread Author: CGNorwich Replies: 39

Yes I know!!!! - CGNorwich
Apart from the reminder on the car computer I have now had three emails two text messages and two messages on the answerphone from my VW garage reminding me my car is due for a service.

I think I shall just forget about it.
 Yes I know!!!! - sooty123
Looks like they are desperate for the work.
 Yes I know!!!! - Jacks
I still get those from the VW dealer even though I got rid of the car in February - Servicing due/MOT due/ etc.
I don't know how they find the time to make all these calls - whenever I had the need to ring my VW dealer the receptionist always informed that "all the staff are busy with customers, someone will ring you back". They never did.

I replaced the Golf with an Audi and they are the same - at the last service they noted the front tyres were "wearing low" ....(they were 6mm!!).....since then I receive a call every couple of weeks asking me to book it in to have the tyres changed.
J

Yes I know!!!! - Bill Payer
>> I replaced the Golf with an Audi and they are the same - at the
>> last service they noted the front tyres were "wearing low" ....(they were 6mm!!).....since then I
>> receive a call every couple of weeks asking me to book it in to have
>> the tyres changed.

VW dealer told me the tyre "were close to the European legal limit". Apparently that's 3mm :rolleyes: . Car goes to an indie now.
 Yes I know!!!! - Clk Sec
>>I think I shall just forget about it.

Perhaps they have a record of your DOB, and therefore, no intention of letting you forget about it.
You are probably right but hopefully I have a few years before I lose my mental powers and and start thinking that a Honda Jazz looks like a good idea.
 Yes I know!!!! - madf
>> You are probably right but hopefully I have a few years before I lose my
>> mental powers and and start thinking that a Honda Jazz looks like a good idea.
>>

Oops My marbles have rolled away years ago :-)
 Yes I know!!!! - Mike Hannon
I'm slowly coming to the conclusion a Jazz would be a good idea.
My (French) Honda dealer has always been excellent, I wouldn't take the Accord anywhere else. And they don't pester.
 Yes I know!!!! - Old Navy
I think that most people who say that the Jazz is rubbish have never driven one let alone owned one.
 Yes I know!!!! - Manatee
Does anybody think they are rubbish? Isn't it just that some perceive them not to fit their self-images?

I haven't driven one since about 2001, and I was impressed. Quiet, spacious, good access, good visibility all round, easy to drive. If they have improved since with the new models then there's not much wrong with them. It may be the Shackleton's High Seat Chair of runabouts but plenty buy those too.

Had the boss wanted a Honda replacement for her 2002 Civic, it would have been a Jazz, a nearer equivalent than the later Civics.
Yes you are right. Few think the Jazz is rubbish. What they do mostly think I suppose is that it ia "pensioners" car which indeed it is is. Most purchaser are over 60. It is firmly in the pipe and slippers market. Whether that should be is a concern to you is of course a personal choice, not buying one won't make you young again!.

Yes I know!!!! - Mapmaker
I've driven two. A 2005ish one, with DSG. Went perfectly nicely. And a 2012 manual which was a joy. Small, nippy, fun and reasonably comfortable. What's not to like.

The only thing not to like is that it isn't the Accord. Never have I had a more comfortable thing to drive.
 Yes I know!!!! - Clk Sec
>> Most purchaser are over 60.

Over 75 where I live, and they're all blue. Do they do any other colours?
It is only the badge snobbery in the UK that is a problem for some. Mine is orange, not blue. :-)

tinyurl.com/gor5pw6
Last edited by: Old Navy on Thu 22 Dec 16 at 09:51
 Yes I know!!!! - Bromptonaut
My sister is still a few years short of 60 and runs one, a 56 reg manual. Never driven it but from passenger perspective it's quiet and comfortable.

She's never complained about it and has run it for six+ years so it must be good.
I am sure that they are perfectly good cars if a little bland. It is not badge snobbery as to why younger people do not buy them, it is simply their image as an old person's car. By and large I think Honda have a good mid market reputation.

Just google "elderly person, accident, Jazz"

I may be a pensioner now (just the other day the British government wrote to ask if I was still alive) but I've never smoked a pipe in my life and I hardly ever wear slippers!
My daughter-in-law is 42 and uses the Jazz they've owned eight years as a work hack. She's a landscape gardener.
My friend in the UK has a new Jazz, after ten years with her old one. It's bright yellow and - for old fogeys like us - it's the easiest thing to spot in a crowded car park that I've ever seen. I'd go for the same.
Better than that strange washed out pink colour they used to do them in.
The old people don't like the latest Honda Jazz - it was bad enough that Honda took away spare wheels but now they don't like that the lights being auto only and they can't operate the touch screen with their gloves on. (I have to say that touch screen based heating and ventilation controls are a nonsense).
 Yes I know!!!! - DP
>> The old people don't like the latest Honda Jazz - it was bad enough that
>> Honda took away spare wheels but now they don't like that the lights being auto
>> only and they can't operate the touch screen with their gloves on. (I have to
>> say that touch screen based heating and ventilation controls are a nonsense).

The definition of not understanding your market.

Honda seem almost self-sabotaging with some of the product decisions they've taken in the last 20 years.
>> Honda seem almost self-sabotaging with some of the product decisions they've taken in the last
>> 20 years.
>>

The UK is a tiny market for the Jazz / Fit. We get what the huge markets of the USA, Asia, and Orient want.
>> Honda took away spare wheels but now they don't like that the lights being auto
>> only and they can't operate the touch screen with their gloves on<<

I didn't realise there was no choice with the lights. How stupid is that? My friend over here was only saying the other day that she is having trouble with the auto lights on her KA - they won't always switch off. I said 'just don't use them' but I didn't realise it might not be that simple. That function is the only one I don't use on the Accord except when on that dreadful motorway with the tunnels from Nice into Italy, because we never seem to agree when it's getting dark. But at least it's an option.
One of the reasons I haven't become serious about a Jazz is that I will not drive a car without at least a spacesaver spare. I thought about buying a Jazz hybrid but with that one there's no room even for that. Do car designers live in the real world?
I agree with the sentiment above that Honda just don't seem to get it these days in many ways. Just as well they can't shoot themselves in the foot in reality because they'd never go anywhere. I daresay my Somerset compatriot Jenson would agree...
 Yes I know!!!! - Mapmaker
>>I will not drive a car without at least a spacesaver spare.

#tempts fate#

In probably 150,000 miles I have only once needed a spare tyre. On that occasion some nice person had deliberately punctured two of them. Spare wheel therefore not much help.

The following have stopped me from getting (or leaving) home. Two cambelts (one poor maintenance (not my car) the other a recently fitted but faulty belt). An alternator belt (poor maintenance, taking a 'new' car home). An alternator. Two batteries. A windscreen wiper motor. A wheel bearing.

The last turned out to be a badly balanced wheel, so the spare wheel *would* have helped if the AA man had got his diagnosis right. But he didn't. So that's a lot of carrying around of a spare wheel for no advantage whatsoever.

Didn't stop me from buying one for my Accord to replace the non-existent gunk can.
Last edited by: VxFan on Fri 23 Dec 16 at 01:28
>> In probably 150,000 miles I have only once needed a spare tyre.

It's a peace-of-mind thing really, although I have to say our mk1 Jazz, which did have a spacesaver, suffered two punctures - one on the day of a wedding when it would have been extremely inconvenient not to have been able to use the car.
>> I didn't realise there was no choice with the lights. How stupid is that? My
>> friend over here was only saying the other day that she is having trouble with
>> the auto lights on her KA - they won't always switch off. I said 'just
>> don't use them' but I didn't realise it might not be that simple.

I don't know how widespead it is, but some Mercedes cars of a few years ago don't have an off position - it's replaced by auto. I had it mine auto lights were going to become mandatory soon but a quick Google doesn't offer up any news on that.

The problem with the Off, Auto, sidelights, headlight set-up on Jazz (and presumeably other cars) is drivers click the switch twice thinking they're turning the headlamps on, but they're not.

>> That function is the only one I don't use on the Accord except when on that dreadful
>> motorway with the tunnels from Nice into Italy, because we never seem to agree when
>> it's getting dark. But at least it's an option.

I stopped using them on my cars after the second time someone pulled out in front of me when the lights came on passing under a bridge near my wife's works. It's particularly an issue with HID lamps as they come on with a flash as the arc strikes.
Last edited by: Bill Payer on Thu 22 Dec 16 at 15:11
>> for old fogeys like us - it's the easiest
>> thing to spot in a crowded car park that I've ever seen. I'd go for
>> the same.
>>

Our orange one is easy to spot in a sea of silver, grey, and the occasional red car in a car park.
 Yes I know!!!! - Duncan

>> Just google "elderly person, accident, Jazz"

Just did that.

The first response is:-

"Leonard Cohen likely died from falling".

Is that what you meant??
 Yes I know!!!! - Dulwich Estate II
It's funny how perceptions and prejudice seem to work and really take hold of the minds of the ignorant masses.

Take a look at Asia, particularly Thailand and Malaysia, where the Honda Fit (Jazz by another name) is seen as very much a young persons car.
 Yes I know!!!! - DP
The average age of a new Honda Jazz buyer is 61, apparently.

tinyurl.com/zpgbb6g

Yes I know!!!! - Slidingpillar
Somewhat a one sided article. Yes in the UK the Jazz has a reputation as an old persons car, but in the far east, it's a young persons car.
They are obviously more discerning than our Corsa driving yoofs.
Last edited by: Old Navy on Thu 22 Dec 16 at 12:40
 Yes I know!!!! - sooty123
>> It's funny how perceptions and prejudice seem to work and really take hold of the
>> minds of the ignorant masses.
>>
>> Take a look at Asia, particularly Thailand and Malaysia, where the Honda Fit (Jazz by
>> another name) is seen as very much a young persons car.
>>

Are they popular there with the elderly?
 Yes I know!!!! - legacylad
In a previous life I offered to find a suitable car after the daughter of my fiancé at the time passed her test. I found, for sale privately, some cracking Jazz, Micra, Yaris. Perfect for a new driver. She turned her nose up at them all, despite Mother buying the car! As soon as my back was turned she bought a rot box Ka which she had 'inspected'. Bearing in mind she didn't know her OS from her NS it didn't end well.
Two neighbours have Jazz (es) and very nice they are too. In a few years I could be tempted. If they ever put the engine in the rear like they did the 5 Turbo!
But seriously, I think they are a cracking, practical small car
>> In a previous life I offered to find a suitable car after the daughter of
>> my fiancé at the time passed her test. I found, for sale privately, some cracking
>> Jazz, Micra, Yaris. Perfect for a new driver. She turned her nose up at them
>> all,

Funny that - one of our daughters didn't even like to be seen in Mrs BP's Jazz. Our other daughter liked it so much she bought one, and then her husband (who, to be fair was coming from a Micra) wanted Mrs BP's Jazz when it was time to change it. So they're doing their bit to drop the average owner age!

Jazz used to be a popular young Mum's car around here - there were two long established and well regarded dealers locally. Honda canned them and gave the franchise to a dealer group who have done nothing to make me think they are anything other than idiots. It's rare to see a mk3 Jazz here (Chester area) and Mrs BP should be driving a HR-V or maybe even a CRV now, but she's not. Honda have lost her.
As a car they are OK but well behind a Fiesta in driver appeal and far behind.a Polo in terms of the quality of finish and interior design. I guess their USP in the seating system and ease of access which give them "Oldie" appeal. Honda became very much the favourite for the older driver with the original Civic and that mantle was inherited by the Jazz, I guess very much to Honda's regret, as it stops them expanding sales to a younger market.
 Yes I know!!!! - Dog
The EX is nice, nice colour here too. I could be coerced to live wivvit [when I'm sixty four]

www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201612030311536
Many "oldies" don't like the latest model, the touchscreen tablet like display, different menu systems for the dashboard display and tablet which controls the DAB and analogue radios, Bluetooth etc., and an overload of intrusive gadgets. These have to be set up in the menues for personal preferences or cannot be overriden, auto lights, some people get really wound up because the lights are linked to the wipers for example and can come on during daylight! Speed limiter that can be linked to the speed limit sign reader and display (not used the limiter). Including read and understand the 500odd page user manual or you have no chance of serene progress, the auto city collision warning and brake system will catch you out.

Sometimes a seven year old expert might be handy. :-)

Did I mention what happens if you don't calibrate the tyre pressure monitoring after topping up the tyres?
Last edited by: Old Navy on Thu 22 Dec 16 at 19:17
Sounds like Honda have decided to subtly filter out the more geriatric end of the market with an overdose of technology!
>> The EX is nice, nice colour here too. I could be coerced to live wivvit
>> [when I'm sixty four]
>>
>> www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201612030311536
>>

..and it's got the popular with oldies CVT auto too.

EX mk2 is a nice car (it's the model we have two of) - grandchildren love the glass roof. Another daft thing Honda did was drop the glass roof on mk3 EX. It's not even available as an option.
 Yes I know!!!! - Dog
>>..and it's got the popular with oldies CVT auto too.

A improvement on the i-Shift automated manual fitted to the pre 2011 jobbies I'll wager.

I'd be after a late-model mk2 EX if I was thinking of becoming a jazz fan.

THIS is the model of the Honda Jazz I used to work on in the 1980's:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Honda_City_%28AA%29#/media/File:Honda_Jazz_Luzern_1980.jpg

:)
Latest Forum Posts